Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike And Mike: Jim Irsay's "hypocrisy"

Portage Coltfans

I know right. Like, who do they they are with the hats and the buckles on their shoes, like they're guarding something? Who wears shoes with buckles? Honestly.....

They are ornery little rascals. But you know, I'd be happy if they'd just stop stealing my underpants.

Funny you should bring up Andrew Luck..... wasn't it Archie Manning who fired the first salvo by saying on national radio that the two probably couldn't co-exist on the Colts roster.... and well before Jim Irsay had said a thing??

It was December 7th... before even the Polian's were fired.

This is messy for sure.... but the Manning camp has plenty of dirt on them too.

And Mike & Mike are full of crap.

No, it was Archie who said that Andrew and Peyton probably wouldn't want to be on the same team together because both are good QB's and both would want to play. He never said they couldn't or wouldn't co-exist, but rather that they "probably wouldn't want to". ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it was Archie who said that Andrew and Peyton probably wouldn't want to be on the same team together because both are good QB's and both would want to play. He never said they couldn't or wouldn't co-exist, but rather that they "probably wouldn't want to". ;)

Yes, IT WAS ARCHIE, wasn't it........ and at the time, weeks before the season even ended, it ratcheted up speculation and controversy and got the ball rollin' on this media frenzy we now have.

My point stands that anyone who wants to whitewash Peyton and his people and present him as any kind of squeaky clean "victim" in all this and demonized Irsay exclusively are cherry-picking the facts.

Yes, IT WAS ARCHIE, wasn't it........ and at the time, weeks before the season even ended, it ratcheted up speculation and controversy and got the ball rollin' on this media frenzy we now have.

My point stands that anyone who wants to whitewash Peyton and his people and present him as any kind of squeaky clean "victim" in all this and demonized Irsay exclusively are cherry-picking the facts.

My point was, yes it was Archie but Archie did not say what you initially claimed that he said. I was correcting the comments not who said them. ;)

As to the second part, I do still agree that but at the same time I don't really think either have done anything really wrong. The only thing possibly was Peyton talking about LOS not being the best place for rehab and about everyone walking around on eggshells. However I think even those comments were taken out of context and blown out of proportion. I don't think he was taking a jab at Irsay or anything like that, just stating the truth...especially about everyone walking around on eggshells. In any workplace, if people start getting fired at the rate coaches were getting fired, then it only stands to reason that those that hadn't been fired yet would be fearful that they might be next. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense would know that so I don't think Peyton was really all that out of line in what he said.

Sure, this would probably have been better served to be handled completely in house, but at the same time I think that the comments hat had been made were mostly in attempt to quell some of the rampant speculation from the media. So I think they were trying to do the right thing but each comment they made got taken out of context and twisted by the media to support the notion that things are rocky between them and that they were absolutely going to part ways because, as has already been said, that makes for a much better story.

I don't think anyone is declaring Peyton blame-free. I just don't think we really know what's going on between the two of them. Sure, Irsay tweets things, and has had an interview, but I think we are all reading FAR too much into it (as is the media).

I feel as though the situation is the same. If Peyton can play, he wants to play in Indy. If he wants to play in Indy, he knows it's a business and will have to make it worth the team's while to take a risk on extending his future here. If it's too risky, or he doesn't seem fit to play, he not only won't play here, he won't play anywhere. So the whole "...QB with uncertain arm strength..." argument I keep seeing around here is irrelevant. If he can play, it will be because his arm is fine. If he's good to go, he's far less of a risk than Andrew Luck starting in 2012. The cute little lists of "reasons Manning's a risk/won't play" aren't valid either, as they assume Manning's status will be uncertain on opening day. That's impossible.

I still think we end up with both guys.

Let he (or she) who is without hypocrisy cast the first stone...

I personally don't feel the need to 'blame' either side. It's a bad situation which isn't being handled (by either party) the way I'd like - quietly, with dignity, behind closed doors.

Fortunately, it will all have to come to a head in about 3 weeks.

I found nothing out of line with the content of Mr. Irsays message. Many seem to have been taken back by him releasing the statement to the media and not to Peyton. That is what has lead to hypocrisy accusations.

I personally don't know what to think. I quit trying to get into other peoples heads along time ago, especially celebrities. I take what they say as the truth unless there is clear evidence they are lying. Even then I just don't believe what they say.

This may be a stretch, but is it possible that maybe Irsay had already had this conversation with Peyton and was just repeating it for the media without telling them just to watch them get all in an uproar such as Mike & Mike did.

It's possible. I just find it difficult to discount the fact that both Peyton and Jim have been on the same page for so many years.

I still see them sitting back and chuckling at the rest of us for getting upset and beside ourselves over what they have under control.

I'm sure the biggest concern is still dealing with a case of the "nerve"!

Let he (or she) who is without hypocrisy cast the first stone...

I personally don't feel the need to 'blame' either side. It's a bad situation which isn't being handled (by either party) the way I'd like - quietly, with dignity, behind closed doors.

Fortunately, it will all have to come to a head in about 3 weeks.

I agree with you, it would be nice if both sides would keep it out of the public. They would be more likely tp come to an amicable conclusion, no matter which way it goes.

I agree with you, it would be nice if both sides would keep it out of the public. They would be more likely tp come to an amicable conclusion, no matter which way it goes.

Unfortunately, both sides decided not to keep it out of the public.

Remember who fired the first salvo?........Archie Manning commenting on how Luck and Peyton would not like to be on the same team together.

Remember who fired the second salvo?............ Peyton....eggshells, sad, not an environment conducive to healing

#3....................Irsay....politician, campaigning

#4.................Joint statement....we love each other.

#5..................Mannning camp......Manning's personal doctor releases statement on medical clearance to play football.

#6.................Irsay tweet...........PM has not been cleared to play for the Colts.

#7..................Peyton - Wingo interview......."trying" hard to get better, no plans on retirement, aggressively rehabbing

#8.................Irsay - Eisen interview............use #1 overall draft pick on either Luck or RG3, salary cap problems, if Peyton is healthy, he will be a Colt.

#9................Irsay - comments...Peyton can be a Colt, if he wants to be.

#10..............Irsay - comments and defines what "healthy" and what "wants to be" really means.

I'm not seeing how this doesn't affect our team negatively for many years to come

This reminds me of the Movie Gladiator. Peyton is Maximus and Irsay is Jauquin phoniex's character.

post of the year! you nailed it my friend.

peyton yelling at the colts fans after destroying us 99,000 to 3. "are you not entertained?". and throwing the football into irsays owners box almost killing him. then he shows his back to irsay, totally offending him!

Remember who fired the first salvo?........Archie Manning commenting on how Luck and Peyton would not like to be on the same team together.

Remember who fired the second salvo?............ Peyton....eggshells, sad, not an environment conducive to healing

#5..................Mannning camp......Manning's personal doctor releases statement on medical clearance to play football.

#6.................Irsay tweet...........PM has not been cleared to play for the Colts.

#7..................Peyton - Wingo interview......."trying" hard to get better, no plans on retirement, aggressively rehabbing

#8.................Irsay - Eisen interview............use #1 overall draft pick on either Luck or RG3, salary cap problems, if Peyton is healthy, he will be a Colt.

#10..............Irsay - comments and defines what "healthy" and what "wants to be" really means.

Yeah, that looks about right. I am less concerned about who started it or who has said what, I just wish they would only talk to each other about the situation. I do not see how this is helping either party.

Yeah, that looks about right. I am less concerned about who started it or who has said what, I just wish they would only talk to each other about the situation. I do not see how this is helping either party.

I hoped after salvo #4, that it would be kept in house, but I was mistaken....salvos #5-10 were then fired.

Didn't 7 precede 5 & 6?

Didn't 7 precede 5 & 6?

You may be right....it is all a haze now.

Just checked...yes, #7 precedes #5.

Revised list:

#3....................Irsay....politician, campaigning, keeping it in-house

#5...................Peyton - Wingo interview......."trying" hard to get better, no plans on retirement, aggressively rehabbing

#6..................Mannning camp......Manning's personal doctor releases statement on medical clearance to play football.

#7.................Irsay tweet...........PM has not been cleared to play for the Colts.

#7 did preceed #5.

From your list, I don't think #2 was meant as anything but an honest interview. #4 was an attempt to end the drama. #7 was harmless.

I don't think anyone is declaring Peyton blame-free. I just don't think we really know what's going on between the two of them. Sure, Irsay tweets things, and has had an interview, but I think we are all reading FAR too much into it (as is the media). I feel as though the situation is the same. If Peyton can play, he wants to play in Indy. If he wants to play in Indy, he knows it's a business and will have to make it worth the team's while to take a risk on extending his future here. If it's too risky, or he doesn't seem fit to play, he not only won't play here, he won't play anywhere. So the whole "...QB with uncertain arm strength..." argument I keep seeing around here is irrelevant. If he can play, it will be because his arm is fine. If he's good to go, he's far less of a risk than Andrew Luck starting in 2012. The cute little lists of "reasons Manning's a risk/won't play" aren't valid either, as they assume Manning's status will be uncertain on opening day. That's impossible. I still think we end up with both guys.

That was my main point, that he and his camp aren't blame-free.... nor is Irsay at this point.

I don't generally put a whole lot of weight into what media types say in their commentary, but Mike & Mike throwing out the hypocrisy charge against Irsay.... while conveniently, or forgetfully, not mentioning Archie's initial contribution came across as unreasonably slanted.

Anyway.... you're probably right about Peyton being realistic about his injury/contract, and perhaps staying in Indy. And if he is willing to take the release and come back in under a much more cap-friendly number..... then that definitely helps the club, and hopefully he and Luck can make the best of the situation.

I won't bet the house on that happening.... but it's still possible with a release and a new contract.

Anyway.... you're probably right about Peyton being realistic about his injury/contract, and perhaps staying in Indy. And if he is willing to take the release and come back in under a much more cap-friendly number..... then that definitely helps the club, and hopefully he and Luck can make the best of the situation.

I won't bet the house on that happening.... but it's still possible with a release and a new contract.

You are right not to bet the house on that happening. Here's why:

1) Upon releasing PM before March 8, the Colts will get a $10.4MM cap hit in 2012.

2) Under the current contract, (if the option bonus is paid), the cap hit for PM in 2012 is projected to be $17MM (and $18, 19, 20, for 2013, 2014, 2015).

3) In order for the new contract to be more cap-friendly than the current contract, the terms must be such that it will not hit the 2012 cap more than $6.6MM ($17MM-$10.4MM).

4) On top of that, we have the league minimum for a vet of PM's experience at $0.9MM, which further constrains the new contract in terms of limited flexibility with performance payouts to $5.7MM ($6.6MM-$0.9MM).

Do you see PM and Tom Condon agreeing to play 2012 for $0.9MM minimum vet salary and $5.7MM in performance incentives?

Compare that to the current contract which pays PM an average of $18MM per year over 5 years.

You are right not to bet the house on that happening. Here's why: 1) Upon releasing PM before March 8, the Colts will get a $10.4MM cap hit in 2012. 2) Under the current contract, (if the option bonus is paid), the cap hit for PM in 2012 is projected to be $17MM (and $18, 19, 20, for 2013, 2014, 2015). 3) In order for the new contract to be more cap-friendly than the current contract, the terms must be such that it will not hit the 2012 cap more than $6.6MM ($17MM-$10.4MM). 4) On top of that, we have the league minimum for a vet of PM's experience at $0.9MM, which further constrains the new contract in terms of limited flexibility with performance payouts to $5.7MM ($6.6MM-$0.9MM). Do you see PM and Tom Condon agreeing to play 2012 for $0.9MM minimum vet salary and $5.7MM in performance incentives? Compare that to the current contract which pays PM an average of $18MM per year over 5 years.

Nope.... I don't see that, and thanks for breaking down the numbers.

I don't doubt Peyton's sentiment in wanting to stay in Indy but your numbers illustrate how unlikely that is, especially since Dan Snyder or someone is bound to offer a much more lucrative deal if he's expected to fully recover.... which other teams will also have the luxury of waiting longer than us to find out.

Nope.... I don't see that, and thanks for breaking down the numbers.

I don't doubt Peyton's sentiment in wanting to stay in Indy but your numbers illustrate how unlikely that is, especially since Dan Snyder or someone is bound to offer a much more lucrative deal if he's expected to fully recover.... which other teams will also have the luxury of waiting longer than us to find out.

Yes, all 31 other NFL teams will have an advantage over the Colts because:

1) They are not constrained by the March 8 exercise date

2) They will not have a $10.4MM cap hit from having released PM.

I personally think the owner should speak only through his hired spokesmen. He should at least make it appear that the g.m. and other hired executives are running the show. If Irsay wants to be in charge publicly and openly, then he should just make himself the general manager. He does seem to be turning into a Jerry Jones quite rapidly.

The whole time the Colts have been in Indy, Irsay has done two smart things- hire Polian and pay Peyton Manning. For those that don't remember the Colts in Indy pre-Manning we won 1 Div title and 2 playoff games (1984-1997)

Now he has fired Polian, likely will release Manning... don't like and haven't liked where this is going. The last time we were w/o Polian and Manning our winning % was south of .400 and most seasons we were prenenial losers. (see for yourself here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indianapolis_Colts_seasons)

Now I am hoping the new guys knock it out of the park, can't help but root for the Colts to win.

Whatever I think of Irsay's tweeting and endless flip-flopping in the media while decrying Peyton's every word to the media.... I just don't think our owner is a good football guy. He is the wrong guy to be making this kind of decision. If it is just about the $$$ then OK, just say it and be up front about it- that is his call as the guy who writes the checks-and quit acting like this is somehow about other things.

But if this is about Manning's readiness and ability to play football, then please leave it up to someone who knows football and football players, that's why you hire a GM, have player personnel people and, by the way, a new head coach who would like to win as many games as possible.... and quit with all the double-talk. Would feel much better if Grigson and Pagano, the football guys, would be the ones evaluating whether or not they have a football player on their team that they want to keep and feel comfortable with his health.

I personally think the owner should speak only through his hired spokesmen. He should at least make it appear that the g.m. and other hired executives are running the show. If Irsay wants to be in charge publicly and openly, then he should just make himself the general manager. He does seem to be turning into a Jerry Jones quite rapidly.

Oh god.

He's NO jerry Jone for heaven's sake.

He's handling the Manning issue personally.

IMO, it would be far worse and disrespectful to manning if he had his "employees" handle this.

Irsay has not shown ANY track record of being anywhere near as hands on as jerry jones.

It was time for a change. Everyone on this board was SCREAMING for it.

Now, half of those people are arguing that.

Irsay, like it or not, is the LEADER of this franchise.

Look at where he's brought this franchise. From the gutter to the palace.

Overall, he's been a great leader of the franchise.

We know you LOVE manning, many of us here LOVE him just as much!

But its time to face reality. Manning is a shell of what he was. And theres no guarantee (nothing near it) that he ever will be.

Come on now.

I am not positive, but I thought Irsay addressed this when he was hiring the Colts coaching staff that everything BUT the Peyton Manning issues was theirs and he would handle the P. Manning decision personally. He may ask their op[inion, but he took it off the shoulders of the GM, HC, and everyone down the line. But only this item, I am to assume.

I'm sure once this Peyton issue is settled that's exactly what he's going to do.

But he made it clear Peyton was his decision. Which probably saved Grigson a heart attack because if he cuts Manning as his first act as GM, no one will ever forgive him even if it's the right decision. Irsay on the other hand has a much better chance.

Irsay has every right to make this decision as well. It's his team, and this is a decision that will impact us for years to come. These Jerry Jones comparisons are rediculous.

I am not positive, but I thought Irsay addressed this when he was hiring the Colts coaching staff that everything BUT the Peyton Manning issues was theirs and he would handle the P. Manning decision personally. He may ask their op[inion, but he took it off the shoulders of the GM, HC, and everyone down the line. But only this item, I am to assume.

Yep, and again, I think it's far better for Grigson and the coaching staff if Irsay makes the decision because it leaves them out of it safely protected from the rage of the fanbase if things don't go well. Irsay's basically diving on the grenade here in a manner of speaking.

You are right not to bet the house on that happening. Here's why:

1) Upon releasing PM before March 8, the Colts will get a $10.4MM cap hit in 2012.

2) Under the current contract, (if the option bonus is paid), the cap hit for PM in 2012 is projected to be $17MM (and $18, 19, 20, for 2013, 2014, 2015).

3) In order for the new contract to be more cap-friendly than the current contract, the terms must be such that it will not hit the 2012 cap more than $6.6MM ($17MM-$10.4MM).

4) On top of that, we have the league minimum for a vet of PM's experience at $0.9MM, which further constrains the new contract in terms of limited flexibility with performance payouts to $5.7MM ($6.6MM-$0.9MM).

Do you see PM and Tom Condon agreeing to play 2012 for $0.9MM minimum vet salary and $5.7MM in performance incentives?

Compare that to the current contract which pays PM an average of $18MM per year over 5 years.

Totally agree a release and sign is not feasible. However, from what I've been reading the past few days, I'm not sure that is the only option. For example, Polian (who knows way more about the situation and the CBA than any of us) said this on his show yesterday:

"I've said all along, to anyone that's asked, that a) the date of March 8 can be moved by mutual agreement and b) the contract could always be restructured. Those two situations have existed from Day 1. Whether those two parties want that to happen, and whether they can make it happen, is what remains to be seen. ...

So maybe it is more of a question of does PM want to do both a) and b) to stay on the Colts, not will he sign super cheap after being cut. Of course, "restructured" could also mean many things. Just making sure this perspective is on the table, Frog.

This is Irsay's team. He can say what he want to who he want and if someone does not like, you do not have to follow this team. I understand it is PM, but Irsay is not going to roll a red carpet out for him and throw money at him just not to play. Irsay is handling like any other owner of a business would, he's handling like a business first without emotions influencing his decisions. Irsay is protecting the TEAM first, not Peyton. I for one as a fan do not want ONE player hindering our team's success, even if it is Peyton. Peyton IS NOT bigger than this franchise. Peyton IS NOT bigger than any other player on this team. He is a player who signed a contract just like any other player so he will be treated like a player, not a God, icon, etc. I'm sure Peyton will get his feet rubbed by Irsay and Indianapolis when the time comes, but right now, he is a football player who is EMPLOYED by a team under contract. Do I agree with how BOTH parties are handling the situation, no. But I'm not gonna sit here and paint Irsay a villain because how he is "handling the situation".

EDIT: Please put up with my typos because I don't feel like going back and correcting them lol.

Totally agree a release and sign is not feasible. However, from what I've been reading the past few days, I'm not sure that is the only option. For example, Polian (who knows way more about the situation and the CBA than any of us) said this on his show yesterday:

"I've said all along, to anyone that's asked, that a) the date of March 8 can be moved by mutual agreement and b) the contract could always be restructured. Those two situations have existed from Day 1. Whether those two parties want that to happen, and whether they can make it happen, is what remains to be seen. ...

So maybe it is more of a question of does PM want to do both a) and b) to stay on the Colts, not will he sign super cheap after being cut. Of course, "restructured" could also mean many things. Just making sure this perspective is on the table, Frog.

I agree. Restructuring may mean a re-working of the current contract such that the Colts do not experience the $10.4MM cap hit. There may be indeed some tortuous route which some clever lawyer might find to convince the NFL and NFLPA that such a re-worked contract does not trigger the definition of a new contract.

I agree. Restructuring may mean a re-working of the current contract such that the Colts do not experience the $10.4MM cap hit. There may be indeed some tortuous route which some clever lawyer might find to convince the NFL and NFLPA that such a re-worked contract does not trigger the definition of a new contract.

Is there a way to set the contract up so that if he can't play for whatever reason we're no long stuck with the giant salary cap hit?

If so, it might be worth it to take an intially higher cap (for the one year) to protect against the crippling cap penalties if he retires or is cut later on down the road.

Is there a way to set the contract up so that if he can't play for whatever reason we're no long stuck with the giant salary cap hit?

If so, it might be worth it to take an intially higher cap (for the one year) to protect against the crippling cap penalties if he retires or is cut later on down the road.

I don't think there is a way to re-work the contract such that it does not trigger the $10.4 cap hit, because I am not a clever lawyer that will be successful in convincing the NFL or NFLPA that my newly found tortuous path does not trigger the definition of a new contract. If there is a clever lawyer that can do this, it is up to the Colts to find him/her.