Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike And Mike: Jim Irsay's "hypocrisy"

Portage Coltfans

I just heard Mike and Mike do a spoof on Jim Irsay and the "keep it in the family" stuff. They did a great job using humor to show how two faced Irsay is treating this Manning situation. I know there are a lot of Irsay fans who support him till the end, but I'm worried about his inability to keep out of the public eye and this drive to be a celebrity owner.

I'm tired of Irsay, tired of his tweets, tired of his hypocritical agenda. He said it was all about health, now it's he has to sign a new contract, what about the (politician stuff/keep it in the family)? He called out Peyton for campaigning and now he's not only campaigning but way more than Peyton did. Mike and Mike are right, the way he's acting right now he think's his stuff doesn't stink.

Right now, I bet Irsay wishes fans had a fathead of him on their wall, and not one of any Colt's player. At first I was worried we were just losing Manning, now i'm worried we are going to be a circus for the next 10 years.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking heads keep their jobs by spouting off without full knowledge of situations. It probably doesn't reflect the true nature of what is happening, but it makes for great radio, and gets NFL fans riled up. I enjoy M&M, but they are sharing opinions, not facts.

Talking heads keep their jobs by spouting off without full knowledge of situations. It probably doesn't reflect the true nature of what is happening, but it makes for great radio, and gets NFL fans riled up. I enjoy M&M, but they are sharing opinions, not facts.

True, but they also had Antonio Pierce on who gave a player's perspective and he felt that Irsay slapped Peyton in the face yesterday and said players can't believe how Irsay is handling this.

It's pretty much a fact. Irsay has been a hypocrite with his bashing Manning for not keeping it "in house", while doing the same thing.

That's not really up for debate.

I think that the "keep it in the family" comment had to do with the negative comments that Peyton had made not the fact that he had made any comments. However I do see hypocrisy on Irsay's side by his continuing this on twitter. IMO Irsay's cannot afford to pay the 28 mil because of the effect on the cap. Irsay also can't afford to pass on Luck, if everything that is being said about him is accurate. If Peyton and Irsay can come to an agreement for less money that will keep Peyton in Indy, then great. If they can't that's okay too.

I saw that. I think it's hypocritical for them to obsess about reporting this since their opinion is it should not be discussed.

Oh wait..........they fall into the category of the ones allowed to say what they want don't they?

They are playing up the drama........pandering to fans who love manning and dislike Irsay

It is what it is. People who are inclined to take sides on this issue are wasting energy in my opinion.

Both Peyton and Irsay have a "Right" to say what they please.......and so do Mike and Mike

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Nobody likes this drama but taking sides on whose fault it is..........is just Hating

True, but they also had Antonio Pierce on who gave a player's perspective and he felt that Irsay slapped Peyton in the face yesterday and said players can't believe how Irsay is handling this.

From recollection, players always want to see things as a slap in the face.

From my perspective, if I am underperforming at work, or life circumstances create questions about my ability to do my job, it is good business for my employer to replace me with someone who can do my job better, especially if it is for less money, if they are contractually and/or legally able. That is just smart business. If that employer wants to try to find a way to keep me employed despite my altered ability, that would be generous and kind to me, but not necessarily great for the company.

I don't (and can't) see what is happening as "evil Irsay". I appreciate that it is the easier response to what is happening, especially when the "employee with altered abilities" is a someone we've all adored. It just strikes me as a very narrow view of the situation, and doesn't account for Irsay's responsibilities in his position and to his "company".

It's pretty much a fact. Irsay has been a hypocrite with his bashing Manning for not keeping it "in house", while doing the same thing.

That's not really up for debate.

I guess I feel it is also hypocritical for fans to beg for information, then bash Irsay for sharing. I feel like Manning has spoken out of turn on a number of occasions, and it is more correctly Irsay's place to relay team information, even when he does trip up on occassion. As a business owner, I would be very upset if an employee took it upon himself to share information about their salary, the perceived injustice of their treatment, or whatever, without going to their manager or coming to me first. I would start in on efforts to set the record straight too, if it was me.

I saw that. I think it's hypocritical for them to obsess about reporting this since their opinion is it should not be discussed.

Oh wait..........they fall into the category of the ones allowed to say what they want don't they?

They are playing up the drama........pandering to fans who love manning and dislike Irsay

It is what it is. People who are inclined to take sides on this issue are wasting energy in my opinion.

Both Peyton and Irsay have a "Right" to say what they please.......and so do Mike and Mike

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Nobody likes this drama but taking sides on whose fault it is..........is just Hating

didn't Irsay tell Peyton basically that he doesn't have a right to voice his side? then go out and voice his? that's what this is about

That hypocrisy is simply the end result (IMO) of the severance between Manning and the Colts being a foregone conclusion.

If there was still a chance in Irsay's mind of a reconciliation, I would think he would be taking his own advice. Now, as the severance seems inevitable, it's turned into a PR battle. If everything is kept in house, Irsay loses that battle 100% when Manning is released. The only way for Irsay to have a chance at winning the PR battle is to take it public.

Like I said here: http://forums.colts....262#entry138262

The only issue at this point is who is going to look like the bad guy when the parties separate. That's what the posturing was about with the Super Bowl and that the context that every comment, interview, statement or 'breaking news from an unnamed source close to the situation' needs to be viewed in.

That hypocrisy is simply the end result (IMO) if the severance between Manning and the Colts being a foregone conclusion.

If there was still a chance in Irsay's mind of a reconciliation, I would think he would be taking his own advice. Now, as the severance seems inevitable, it's turned into a PR battle. If everything is kept in house, Irsay loses that battle 100% when Manning is released. The only way for Irsay to have a chance at winning the PR battle is to take it public.

a voice of reason in a sea of insanity. my faith in mankind has been restored. thank you for that

I guess I feel it is also hypocritical for fans to beg for information, then bash Irsay for sharing. I feel like Manning has spoken out of turn on a number of occasions, and it is more correctly Irsay's place to relay team information, even when he does trip up on occassion. As a business owner, I would be very upset if an employee took it upon himself to share information about their salary, the perceived injustice of their treatment, or whatever, without going to their manager or coming to me first. I would start in on efforts to set the record straight too, if it was me.

I see your point, but it seems there is a difference of opinion between Irsay and manning about a number of topics.

Irsay has to look out for the Colts and Manning has to look out for Manning, since no matter how great he is, he's just a piece of meat, that will be chewed up and spit out when the Colts are done with him.

I wouldn't call Irsay a hypocrite for address it publicly, if he hadn't scolded Manning for not keeping it "in house".

I'd be okay with them both communicating through the media, but Jim is still being hypocritical. It's his team, he makes the rules, but fans will still call em like they see em.

yes, in your business, which isn't the NFL.

NFL players can hold out and not honor a contract. If your employee's did that you would fire them, but in the NFL that isn't how it works. My point is, you can't compare your business to the ultra public NFL.

You probably also don't tweet about firing your employees, or your main employee (Caldwell) and say how there is breaking news about it on your website!

relax, the man is running a football team

if you are really so annoyed find another hobby. maybe you can take up knitting & build up hatred for the knitting group's president

Lol....imagine if the president dropped a stitch?!!!!!!!!!!! oh my!

That hypocrisy is simply the end result (IMO) of the severance between Manning and the Colts being a foregone conclusion.

I like your post and I am beginning to agree with you. I for one don't think Irsay will win the PR battle. JMO

I'm actually siding with Irsay on this issue. Im thinking of this as a business, and the fact is either getting Peyton back for a incentive based contract or if he refuses letting him go is the RIGHT THING TO DO! He said he'd be willing to do a new deal for his future team so he should do the same for the Colts then, unless he just really doesnt wanna be here, which I could understand with us most likely drafting Luck.

But Im not at all upset with Irsay's ultimatum here.

On the upside, one way or another.......this should be over soon

And I will be very happy about that.......one way or another

yes, in your business, which isn't the NFL.

NFL players can hold out and not honor a contract. If your employee's did that you would fire them, but in the NFL that isn't how it works. My point is, you can't compare your business to the ultra public NFL.

You probably also don't tweet about firing your employees, or your main employee (Caldwell) and say how there is breaking news about it on your website!

Yes, entertainment businesses are different, but only because the audience of people who would care about what I or my employees have to say is pretty small. That doesn't mean my employees don't share leverage that is somewhat similar to Manning's.

If I value their contributions to the company, they can "hold out" for a better salary anytime they wish. It is their prerogative to risk the employment I offer them, and it is my obligation to know whether they are worth it or not. It would upset me, though, if they were sharing emails company wide, detailing their thoughts and efforts in the matter.

I would also say that, while I've never done it, I've worked for companies in the past that have posted information about staffing changes (hirings, position changes, promotions, demotions, and firings) in newsletters. I don't like it, but I can see its value.

The funny thing is how many times have members on here bashed Mike and Mike for what they have said regarding the Colts and Colt players??? Now that they bash someone for what some percieve to be the truth they walk on water?????

Real simple solution to all of this....Peyton, put a video out there showing you can throw a football like an NFL QB and prove you are worth the 28 Million. Then all of this will come to a head.

Jim Irsay is in a no win situtation.

If he cuts Peyton and moves on. (In my opinion best move given the choices) then we faces public wrath and humiliation.

If he pays Peyton and it turns out he cannot play the fans will then be up in arms for Irsay making such a dumb decision. (Fans are not willing to be terrible for the next 10 years just to have Peyton for one. They say that but really in the long run would not be happy)

If he pays Peyton and we go 10-6 9-7 next 3 years, Petyon retires and then we are bad the next 10 years (See number 3 for fan response)

The only way he wins is if he pays Peyton and we win A Superbowl in the next three years with 3013 talent. (low percentage. Very low)

The funny thing is how many times have members on here bashed Mike and Mike for what they have said regarding the Colts and Colt players??? Now that they bash someone for what some percieve to be the truth they walk on water?????

Real simple solution to all of this....Peyton, put a video out there showing you can throw a football like an NFL QB and prove you are worth the 28 Million. Then all of this will come to a head.

a video is the answer, but since that isn't going to happen. the debate of the arm strength and how long to wait continues

some people just aren't happy unless they are upset

I do think it is wheel spinning to get upset about this. Everybody involved here is a gazillionaire (except of course the fans) and they will work it out however they work it out. Fans will be happy, or unhappy.....or both. They will stay colts fans or they will not.

That's their right.

Public opinion won't matter so much because both sides are watching their own bottom line

Colts need to field a competitive team that does not do what it did this past season..........priority one imo

Mannings situation is so unique and so is he. He wants to play and he wants to play in Indy

That may or may not be possible

Everybody wants the fairy tale.........and even though Peyton and Colts fans have been living the dream for quite some time.....that dream may be ending. No mater how much we don't want it to end.

Nobody likes that. But........ regardless of whether someone was "more correct, more justified......or more whatever" it doesn't change the facts on this issue

this whole drama is just ............DRAMA

Doesn't affect anything

We just have to wait and see what they decide

what is the purpose of Irsay even bringing this up? It's all about being a politician, something he didn't like manning doing previously. Both have a right to voice their side to the public, I agree. But only one called out the other and said to keep it in house

My personal opinion...........an unguarded moment and also taken out of context of the entire statement.

When you watch that interview following the press conference you saw a man who had been furiously trying to rebuild his football staff and had in the process felt blindsided by the comments that came from manning

My personal opinion is, he assessed it correctly. Peyton's camp issued that interview and those comments exactly when and how they wanted to

It was jockeying for position

I think Irsay showed a lot of love for manning in that statement. People ignore that and focus on a poorly chosen word

In any event, it's in the past and has no impact one way or another ...........aside from people still being mad about it and the media obsessing about it.