Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike And Mike: Jim Irsay's "hypocrisy"

Portage Coltfans

Jim Irsay is in a no win situtation.

If he cuts Peyton and moves on. (In my opinion best move given the choices) then we faces public wrath and humiliation.

If he pays Peyton and it turns out he cannot play the fans will then be up in arms for Irsay making such a dumb decision. (Fans are not willing to be terrible for the next 10 years just to have Peyton for one. They say that but really in the long run would not be happy)

If he pays Peyton and we go 10-6 9-7 next 3 years, Petyon retires and then we are bad the next 10 years (See number 3 for fan response)

The only way he wins is if he pays Peyton and we win A Superbowl in the next three years with 3013 talent. (low percentage. Very low)

Exactly

Leaders have to make difficult decisions and this one is a doozie

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a video is the answer, but since that isn't going to happen. the debate of the arm strength and how long to wait continues

Well then we can agree that there is a great deal of subterfuge on both sides making neither right nor neither wrong? A video would end it but either PM is incapable of performing as I mentioned and would rather carry out this ruse until the 8th or he is just doesn't want to be a Colt? Either way, neither is right or wrong and the media smells blood like sharks in the water and continues to throw chum into it. It's sad as we fans have a common ground, The Colts, and we are now fighting....

Yes Irsay is hypocrite period.... Irsays is also a politician period....

IF Irsay is only making moves based on better interest of the club, why the need for all the PR? If he is only interested in best interest of the club, have these meetings behind close door (like he stated Manning should do), and do best interest of club...

I stated it before this isn't about money at all... It's about Irsay thinking YAY I got a hot new stud, and now I have to get rid of the work horse that got me to where I am now, what is the best way to do it.... It's all PR.

I think all this is Irsay's way of not looking like the bad guy in this situation...making it look like it's Peyton that is throwing away the colts...not Jim getting rid of him. I am really upset about how he is handling this.....

But Amy, what would you do if it was your 28 million and your franchise?

Irsay has to think about that

Peyton does not

I think Irsay said exactly what the truth is.......we just cannot keep his current contract. We cannot

My personal opinion...........an unguarded moment and also taken out of context of the entire statement.

When you watch that interview following the press conference you saw a man who had been furiously trying to rebuild his football staff and had in the process felt blindsided by the comments that came from manning

My personal opinion is, he assessed it correctly. Peyton's camp issued that interview and those comments exactly when and how they wanted to

It was jockeying for position

I think Irsay showed a lot of love for manning in that statement. People ignore that and focus on a poorly chosen word

In any event, it's in the past and has no impact one way or another ...........aside from people still being mad about it and the media obsessing about it.

I agree.

Yes Irsay is hypocrite period.... Irsays is also a politician period....

IF Irsay is only making moves based on better interest of the club, why the need for all the PR? If he is only interested in best interest of the club, have these meetings behind close door (like he stated Manning should do), and do best interest of club...

I stated it before this isn't about money at all... It's about Irsay thinking YAY I got a hot new stud, and now I have to get rid of the work horse that got me to where I am now, what is the best way to do it.... It's all PR.

He's not a hypocrite in my book, neither is peyton.

They have conflicting goals though.

Peyton is absolutely responsible for the success the colts have had. But, the time for the team to be built around him to the extent is has been is passed.

That's why we had the season we had this year. No back up......we got no game without Peyton

We need to do a LOT better

Well then we can agree that there is a great deal of subterfuge on both sides making neither right nor neither wrong? A video would end it but either PM is incapable of performing as I mentioned and would rather carry out this ruse until the 8th or he is just doesn't want to be a Colt? Either way, neither is right or wrong and the media smells blood like sharks in the water and continues to throw chum into it. It's sad as we fans have a common ground, The Colts, and we are now fighting....

this thread was more about the hypocritical comments and activities by Irsay. I would have no problems with what Irsay said, if he didn't call out Manning previously. I don't feel like I'm fighting you, I just feel that our owner isn't following his own rules laid out before.

Peyton does not

I think Irsay said exactly what the truth is.......we just cannot keep his current contract. We cannot

I wish that Irsay would say, "I'm meeting with Peyton and trying to work this out and compromise."

Not, "it's up to him"

big difference

this thread was more about the hypocritical comments and activities by Irsay. I would have no problems with what Irsay said, if he didn't call out Manning previously. I don't feel like I'm fighting you, I just feel that our owner isn't following his own rules laid out before.

I understand the topic but with the topic comes the frustration of the situation that has lead to the deemed hypocritical remarks that "Mike and Mike" have thrown out there ;)...had this not gone on so long I believe this wouldn't even be an issue. I frankly scoff at any of the "talking heads" out there on television as they are going for ratings regardless of the cost to whom they trample on.

As far as what Irsay said about "keeping it in the house", that ship sailed weeks after he said it and only now it is being brought back up by "Mike and Mike" to stir more crap. I don't believe he said anything wrong...other than the balls in your court PM.

Peyton does not

Ironic thing is, it was Jim not Peyton who wanted Peyton to be the highest paid player in the NFL....Irsay put himself in this position.

In my opinion: Irsay is entitled to share information about the franchise because he owns it and gets to determine what to share, how to share it, when to share it, and do so with whomever he so chooses. Manning is not so entitled, because he is an employee. That means Irsay's comments are not hypocritical.

If someone is paid as an employee, and they've accepted the money paid them, they need to keep their pie hole shut. Their grievances have an appropriate audience, and it isn't the world, it is their employer.

I understand the topic but with the topic comes the frustration of the situation that has lead to the deemed hypocritical remarks that "Mike and Mike" have thrown out there ;)...had this not gone on so long I believe this wouldn't even be an issue. I frankly scoff at any of the "talking heads" out there on television as they are going for ratings regardless of the cost to whom they trample on.

As far as what Irsay said about "keeping it in the house", that ship sailed weeks after he said it and only now it is being brought back up by "Mike and Mike" to stir more crap. I don't believe he said anything wrong...other than the balls in your court PM.

Irsay just wants the public to love him, he doesnt want the Colts nation to blame him for letting manning go. He looks like less of a bad guy by saying this, and that it is Manning's choice only. what a politician tactic and that is all it is about. He doesnt' want to be rememberd by the fans for letting Manning go, and fixes it by saying it's Mannings choice.

Irsay just wants the public to love him, he doesnt want the Colts nation to blame him for letting manning go. He looks like less of a bad guy by saying this, and that it is Manning's choice only. what a politician tactic and that is all it is about. He doesnt' want to be rememberd by the fans for letting Manning go, and fixes it by saying it's Mannings choice.

This is what I said, but you said it in a much clearer and articulate way! ;)

That may be true but quite frankly PM isn't without blame in all this and that is the point that many seem to have missed...either way, any reasonable person would agree that come March 8th the 28 Million won't be paid and both sides can move on to "greener pastures" and we Colt fans can start speaking about how our team is going to round out :)

In my opinion: Irsay is entitled to share information about the franchise because he owns it and gets to determine what to share, how to share it, when to share it, and do so with whomever he so chooses. Manning is not so entitled, because he is an employee. That means Irsay's comments are not hypocritical.

If someone is paid as an employee, and they've accepted the money paid them, they need to keep their pie hole shut. Their grievances have an appropriate audience, and it isn't the world, it is their employer.

actually, I look at them more like business partners. What would Irsay have without Peyton manning? We can only guess, but I bet you it's not as good as what it has been with him!

Peyton has moved beyond just being an "employee". Icon players like Jordan, manning, Muhammad ali, ect... they aren't just employees,they are way more

True, but they also had Antonio Pierce on who gave a player's perspective and he felt that Irsay slapped Peyton in the face yesterday and said players can't believe how Irsay is handling this.

yea, i'm hearing same thing from players who have been interviewed on sporting news radio (yahoo sports), and fox. it's not playing well for Irsay at this point and I'm just flabbergasted that he is acting this way. Of course, he thought he could sing "Turn the Page" also. NOT.

That may be true but quite frankly PM isn't without blame in all this and that is the point that many seem to have missed...either way, any reasonable person would agree that come March 8th the 28 Million won't be paid and both sides can move on to "greener pastures" and we Colt fans can start speaking about how our team is going to round out :)

the funny thing is, without Luck in this draft. All of us Colts fans would be sending him get well cards, not saying goodbye.

don't even say RGIII would be a popular choice to replace him

But, he should have told Peyton that in person, not through the media.

agreed

But you know I had that same thought when Mannings interview......the thing that started all this came out

why now? He never makes public statements

At first I thought it was just an unguarded moment on his part. But, seeing the stuff coming out of his camp.....I changed my mind

the funny thing is, without Luck in this draft. All of us Colts fans would be sending him get well cards, not saying goodbye.

Naaaahh RGIII does nothing for me and I agree that Luck makes the transition easier though I feel the way this whole thing has gone down that PM wouldn't want to stay due to the ugliness of it all, even if he is 100 percent come the 8th. It's done put a fork in it and hope the best for everyone :)

But, he should have told Peyton that in person, not through the media.

But honestly, do you really think that Irsay hasn't already told Manning that the contract needs to be reworked? There is no doubt in my mind that Manning and Irsay have already discussed this. IMO the announcement yestereday was an attempt to stop all of the speculation that the Colts and Manning are parting ways. Irsay has made it very clear that Manning is more than welcome back with the Colts. Manning has made it more than clear that he wants to remain a Colt. So now all of the speculation should have stopped except it hasn't because the media continues to try to spin things to make it seem like someone is the bad guy because that is a better story and therefore makes for better ratings. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the negotiations have already started but I'm sure they're waiting until the ink is dry before any official announcement is made.

I also don't see how Irsay is a hypocrite for saying that it's not about the money but rather about his health. That has always been the issue...is Manning going to be able to get back to his regular form. If Irsay knew for a fact that Manning would return to 100% then I have no doubt in my mind that he would pick up the option on the current contract and not have a need to renegotiate anything. However, since there is some uncertainty, he needs for the contract to reflect that. All he's asking for is to rework the current contract so it would better reflect a contract Peyton would get with any other team at this point. Peyton's current contract assumes 100% health but by the time the option needs to be picked up, Peyton will not be 100%. All this means is that there needs to be a new contract to reflect the current situation, which is different than the situation when the contract was first drawn up. There's no way Peyton could not have known this would be necessary.

agreed

But you know I had that same thought when Mannings interview......the thing that started all this came out

why now? He never makes public statements

At first I thought it was just an unguarded moment on his part. But, seeing the stuff coming out of his camp.....I changed my mind

PM's interview is what precipitated the "keep it in the house" statement and like I said earlier....neither side has and Irsay's comments yesterday are being blown out of proportion, imo.

I wish that Irsay would say, "I'm meeting with Peyton and trying to work this out and compromise."

Not, "it's up to him"

big difference

Oh, the new statement. I actually think it's a fair statement.

Both sides have had a part in making this thing public

And actually I think it is wise on Irsays part to give fans an indication on how this will go........what his priorities are.

Anyway.....I don't think it's fair to feel that Peyton can make all the public statements he wants but Irsay cannot say anything

I just don't

Reminds me of people on this site having an issue with people of a different opinion........and telling them to shut up.

Luck provides us a viable option if Manning is not retained. Luck is not the reason that Manning has his health issue. I don't know why in many of your posts you have such a negative attribution to Luck. Luck is just a kid in college who played his heart out for his team. Again, he has nothing to do with Manning's health, which is what has caused so much doubt about Manning's future.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 15, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, February 15, 2012 - inflammatory

Nothing wrong with what irsay is doing, he's trying to save face nothing wrong with that.... ppl should be used to it politicians do it all the time lol

no, you save face by futting the shuck up and waiting for the meeting. Bad move on Irsay's part.

I see your point, but it seems there is a difference of opinion between Irsay and manning about a number of topics.

Irsay has to look out for the Colts and Manning has to look out for Manning, since no matter how great he is, he's just a piece of meat, that will be chewed up and spit out when the Colts are done with him.

I wouldn't call Irsay a hypocrite for address it publicly, if he hadn't scolded Manning for not keeping it "in house".

I'd be okay with them both communicating through the media, but Jim is still being hypocritical. It's his team, he makes the rules, but fans will still call em like they see em.

Irsay did scold PM for not keeping it "in house". Then they issued a joint statement that he love and respect each other.

After that, all was relatively quiet until the 2 docs issued the medical clearance to play football statement, which could only have come from PM, per HIPPA rules.

In addition, the PM interview with Wingo clearly touched on his "trying" to improve every day with his rehab, and that retirement was not in his plans.

I think some would think those as possible additional violations of the keeping it "in house" policy.

With that, I think Irsay had come to the point where he is going to fight fire with fire. Hence you see his interview with Eisen talking about the cap problems, his comment about PM can be a Colt if he wants to be a Colt, and the most recent communications that define what wanting to be a Colt means in his mind.

I think it is all fair game.

I'm not seeing how this doesn't affect our team negatively for many years to come

This reminds me of the Movie Gladiator. Peyton is Maximus and Irsay is Jauquin phoniex's character.

You remind me of sensationalist talking head, talking trash about the owner of this team on his own website. Have you ever thought hes just being honest? If Mannings recovery is slow and know one really knows when he's gonna be him old self, then its absolutely necessary that the contract be redone. Rightnow its a huge gamble just to pay the option, if he retired or was cut later, the colts would have gut the team.

Irsay did scold PM for not keeping it "in house". Then they issued a joint statement that he love and respect each other.

After that, all was relatively quiet until the 2 docs issued the medical clearance to play football statement, which could only have come from PM, per HIPPA rules.

In addition, the PM interview with Wingo clearly touched on his "trying" to improve every day with his rehab, and that retirement was not in his plans.

I think some would think those as possible additional violations of the keeping it "in house" policy.

With that, I think Irsay had come to the point where he is going to fight fire with fire. Hence you see his interview with Eisen talking about the cap problems, his comment about PM can be a Colt if he wants to be a Colt, and the most recent communications that define what wanting to be a Colt means in his mind.

I think it is all fair game.

It's all fair game.. yet I still view it as hypocritical on Irsay's part. Obviously others do too.

As the old saying goes be careful what you wish for. haha Bet you will get your wish quickly. JMO of course.

Honestly I just want to get past all this, even if the outcome conflicts with what I want. Hoping he stays. If not, that sucks but I got worse things to worry about.......like gnomes. I hate them, they bother me endlessly.

I am thanking the lucky stars for having Luck in this upcoming draft, and that the Colts are in a position to draft him.

Imagine if he wasn't there. The Colts would be held hostage to paying the $28MM ransom for a QB who has questionable arm strength coming off 3 surgeries. With one of the possible consequences of that may be sustaining a $38.2MM salary cap hit in 2012, should he be unable to go. That's 1/3 of our team cap! It would take years for the team to recover from that.

I don't see this as hypocritical at all.

The "keep it in house" comments came after Peyton pretty much bashed the new direction the team was going in. Now you can argue that was justified but giving interviews talking about how negative things are doesn't help anything. Irsay wanted to keep it in house.

Coming out and saying that if both sides are willing to work together they can get this done, isn't bashing anyone or anything. If anything it's a statement of hope. If the Kravitz interview was Peyton talking about how excited he was, or even just that he understood the situation without all the "walking on eggshells" and "not a good place for healing" comments Irsay never tells him to keep it in house.

The point is don't bash the team publically. If you have an issue with that keep it in house. As Irsay hasn't bashed Manning publically, I don't see him as being hypocritical.

You remind me of sensationalist talking head, talking trash about the owner of this team on his own website. Have you ever thought hes just being honest? If Mannings recovery is slow and know one really knows when he's gonna be him old self, then its absolutely necessary that the contract be redone. Rightnow its a huge gamble just to pay the option, if he retired or was cut later, the colts would have gut the team.

Jim Irsay wrote Peyton a check for 26 million last year so that Peyton would be the Colts QB this year. Now some folks believe he should write Peyton another check for 28 Million plus Peyton's salary which adds up to 35 million for Peyton this year. This is what some folks believe Irsay should do.

These folks would be the first to blame Irsay if things do not work out next season. Peyton isn't able to play as Peyton used to play. His injury did not heal properly.

Polian left the team in cap trouble and players who are past their prime. It is time to re-load. Time to start rebuilding the team. New GM, new coaches, new schemes. It is time.

If Peyton REALLY wants to be here, he can be here by restructuring his contract.

I do not understand why Peyton would want to be here. Reggie will probably be gone. Gonzales is gone. Garcon will make a fantastic catch and then drop one that hits him in his hands. The most frustrating WR the Colts have had in my memory. Can the Colts O line protect Manning next season? He can't take many hits and survive with his new surgically repaired neck.

IMO, it is better for all concerned to move on. No one knows for sure whether Peyton can still play QB at an NFL level. If he can he has a much better chance of winning another SB ring somewhere other than Indy. Indy will re-build and the 1st round pick in the NFL can start this process.

Lets do it.

True, but they also had Antonio Pierce on who gave a player's perspective and he felt that Irsay slapped Peyton in the face yesterday and said players can't believe how Irsay is handling this.

wasnt pierce released because the giants couldnt be sure the disk issue in his neck would make him 100% healthy by his final season? how ironic that he would comment about Irsay " slapping " manning in the face but yet he holds no anger torwards the giants for doing the same thing the colts are thinking long and hard about doing to manning.