Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keep chopping wood....

AustexColt

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

At some point Chuck's gotta stop coaching these guys to "keep chopping wood" and actually teach them how to finish off the friggin tree.  

Exactly if this was game two of a new coach maybe you feel good about this but this is year six of Pagano and this team is still making the same dumb mistakes late in games that costs them wins.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

We certainly need him as a quality backup to Luck.

Agreed.  I am fine with Brissett being the backup going forward.  He should only get better the more he learns the offense.  While he's clearly not Luck out there he plays like a NFL QB IMO.  He just seems to have the "it" factor QBs need to be successful in this league.  

Note I don't mean it like he will be superstar but a pretty good QB and I also don't mean it like he's a scary clown that should be outlawed...

4 hours ago, azcolt said:

Don't be shocked if Luck retires. He's a brainy guy who doesn't seem to care much for riches and he surely knows his long term health is not going to be great after playing QB for this team.

Baseless nonsense.

Because he is intelligent he might just walk away from millions and millions of dollars and a game he clearly loves? 

You watch his reaction after the Colts won against the Jaguars in a meaningless week 17 of last season and tell me he would quite happily leave it all to go read books.

12 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Thanks for starting JB under center. Please give him all the snaps going forward. I see a future QB in JB. He has strong leadership qualities and I sensed that the entire offense resonated well with him as their QB. It will be amazing when he gets the timing down with our WRs.   

It will be amazing when the WR's catch passes that are catch-able balls.  Even the TV talking heads said that you have to help out a new or young QB and the WR's for the Colts did nothing to help....  other than Doyle they were bad.

4 hours ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I would be SHOCKED if the Colts traded away Brisslet (Unless someone threw a 1st or 2nd RD pick at us)

We need him as our insurance policy just in case Luck goes down in the future.

He's someone we can still win with if he's called upon.

I like Brisslet.. That trade is looking brighter by the day.

I don't think anyone would offer a 1st, 2nd or 3rd for him.   Teams just don't really do that for a back up QB.  

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Baseless nonsense.

Because he is intelligent he might just walk away from millions and millions of dollars and a game he clearly loves? 

You watch his reaction after the Colts won against the Jaguars in a meaningless week 17 of last season and tell me he would quite happily leave it all to go read books.

We'll see. The comments from the owner about the four inches between Luck's ears do make it more than baseless though. Who said anything about reading books? He has a Stanford degree and the intelligence to do anything -- as long as his brain isn't scrambled eggs.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

We'll see. The comments from the owner about the four inches between Luck's ears do make it more than baseless though. Who said anything about reading books? He has a Stanford degree and the intelligence to do anything -- as long as his brain isn't scrambled eggs.

It was a comment in relation to his book club.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone would offer a 1st, 2nd or 3rd for him.   Teams just don't really do that for a back up QB.  

Teams will trade a high pick for a teams backup QB if they believe them to be a starter for them.

Just off the top of my head:

-Sam bradford was overtaken by Wentz  and was traded for a 1st

-Matt Cassel was a backup in NE and was traded to KC for a 2nd

-Alex Smith was beaten out by Kaep and traded for a 2nd

Does this mean JB will be traded for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Not at all. It just means that it isnt unheard of, especially if JB plays a good string of games before Luck comes back. If a QB needy team sees him as a starter level player, the sky is the limit. 

They just mentioned, on the radio, that the Colts have lost their first 2 games for the 4th year in a row.

Talk about starting out slow.   There certainly are factors that play into that, but the slow starts in the season and in games is getting to become part of the teams culture.

Although they did take a step in stopping it yesterday.   They actually started pretty good and went down from there.   

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Teams will trade a high pick for a teams backup QB if they believe them to be a starter for them.

Just off the top of my head:

-Sam bradford was overtaken by Wentz  and was traded for a 1st

-Matt Cassel was a backup in NE and was traded to KC for a 2nd

-Alex Smith was beaten out by Kaep and traded for a 2nd

Does this mean JB will be traded for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Not at all. It just means that it isnt unheard of, especially if JB plays a good string of games before Luck comes back. If a QB needy team sees him as a starter level player, the sky is the limit. 

You have a point, but he has a long way to go before he will garner that kind of attention.   The college class is pretty strong coming out too.   I think there are several current back up QB's that he would have to pass up too.   Garoppolo, Moore, Lynch to name a few.   I think their stock is currently higher than Brissetts.   Of course if he can put some wins and stats together, he can move up. 

Just now, Myles said:

You have a point, but he has a long way to go before he will garner that kind of attention.   The college class is pretty strong coming out too.   I think there are several current back up QB's that he would have to pass up too.   Garoppolo, Moore, Lynch to name a few.   I think their stock is currently higher than Brissetts.   Of course if he can put some wins and stats together, he can move up. 

Absolutely. Its not likely it happens, and honestly id rather keep him as a good backup, at least until he is in a contract year before trading him. That will give him more chances to prove his worth, and time to wait out this rookie/free agent class of qbs, which both appear to be strong at this point. 

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Absolutely. Its not likely it happens, and honestly id rather keep him as a good backup, at least until he is in a contract year before trading him. That will give him more chances to prove his worth, and time to wait out this rookie/free agent class of qbs, which both appear to be strong at this point. 

I totally agree.   Keep him as the back up.   With Luck developing a history of injuries, it would be nice to have him.   Rookie contracts are 3 years, right?   So we have him for 2018 as well.   Maybe they will be able to sign him low next year.

Just now, Myles said:

I totally agree.   Keep him as the back up.   With Luck developing a history of injuries, it would be nice to have him.   Rookie contracts are 3 years, right?   So we have him for 2018 as well.   Maybe they will be able to sign him low next year.

4 yrs. We have him under contract through 2019. Lots of time.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly if this was game two of a new coach maybe you feel good about this but this is year six of Pagano and this team is still making the same dumb mistakes late in games that costs them wins.

Wonder if Irsay likes Chuck as coach because of his PR approach to interviews. Sorry Chuck but

as a head Coach I think you are way in over your head and you would not be the first assistant who

just couldn't  handle being head coach 

8 hours ago, Myles said:

They might if he plays great for us and gets us a couple of wins and keeps us in the playoff race until Luck returns.  They might see him as another Garapolo.  There are not enough good young QB's in the league.