Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck ruled out for week 1

CR91

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't think a guy who's first practice is Sept. 4 can start and play reasonably well at quarterback on Sept. 17.

I'm responding to the guy who quote me, who said Brissett would start sooner than later. If Brissett gets a good grasp on the playbook, he could play. I never said he would start, he might start, or he might sub in for Tolzien.

Just now, IndyScribe said:

I'm responding to the guy who quote me, who said Brissett would start sooner than later. If Brissett gets a good grasp on the playbook, he could play. I never said he would start, he might start, or he might sub in for Tolzien.

My comment isn't about you.

I'm responding to the thought that Brissett can get a good grasp on the playbook in 2 weeks.

2 weeks is maybe 6 practices.

......Brissett cant even be a backup this Sunday.....he doesnt know his teammates or the plays.

We didn't trade for Brissett because Andrew is hurt, in my opinion.

We got him to be  backup in 2018 and going forward

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

My comment isn't about you.

I'm responding to the thought that Brissett can get a good grasp on the playbook in 2 weeks.

2 weeks is maybe 6 practices.

......Brissett cant even be a backup this Sunday.....he doesnt know his teammates or the plays.

We didn't trade for Brissett because Andrew is hurt, in my opinion.

We got him to be  backup in 2018 and going forward

We should have kept Morris for a little while longer what happens if Tolzien gets hurt in the game?

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

But he doesn't know the plays. They should have kept Morris a little longer or traded for Brissett a lot sooner. 

Trading for Brissett sooner might not have worked. In two weeks, who knows how much of the playbook Brissett will have learned. If he hasn't learned all of it, Ballard said they'd still play him and use what he knows.

40 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't think a guy who's first practice is Sept. 4 can start and play reasonably well at quarterback on Sept. 17.

thats enough time, QBs have come in and started sooner than that

the coaches are going to get him up to speed asap. he might be forced to play, ready or not if scott gets hurt

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Trading for Brissett sooner might not have worked.

edleman's injury probably raised dorsett's value somewhat

plus it made sense for the patriots to hang on to JB and play him during the preseason to try and raise his value.  that sounds like something they would do.  personally i think brisett should have a higher trade value than dorsett though

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

edleman's injury probably raised dorsett's value somewhat

plus it made sense for the patriots to hang on to JB and play him during the preseason to try and raise his value.  that sounds like something they would do.  personally i think brisett should have a higher trade value than dorsett though

Yep. I don't think the trade was an option until Edelman tore his ACL. I think Brissett should have a higher trade value as well, but he's still young and my guess is Pats were a little desperate for someone to replace Edelman, which is why they traded him now instead of next year.

Herm Edwards said this morning (09/09/17) Luck will play injured all year long and compared his situation to that of Chad Henning, the former Jets QB. The stat on the number of hits Luck has taken is greater than 300 and the number of sacks to date is 166. That's 166 in 5 seasons! Luck may end up like the boxer Jerry Quarry if they don't fix that line or dotted line should I say.

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Herm Edwards said this morning (09/09/17) Luck will play injured all year long and compared his situation to that of Chad Henning, the former Jets QB. The stat on the number of hits Luck has taken is greater than 300 and the number of sacks to date is 166. That's 166 in 5 seasons! Luck may end up like the boxer Jerry Quarry if they don't fix that line or dotted line should I say.

I wouldn't pay attention to what he says.

5 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Which is a bit contradictory to what Irsay was saying the other night on the broadcast.  Irsay kinda hinted that some of the issue was mental.

I think this spin on it is being misinterpreted. I took it that Irsay was talking about Luck needing to get his practice reps back in and get his football head back on. There's a big difference between reading a play book and actually going out there and throwing it.

41 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I think you probably meant Chad Pennington, the former Jets QB.

4 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

He honestly could be out the first month. I don't really know anything though so don't take me at my word on that

That's kinda where I am now.....LIG....

......Luck only needs a week of practice but I don't even know if he's going through simulated practices out of sight

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Way too much panic in this thread.

Call down. No matter who starts every game coming up there is not a dang thing that can be done about it.

Getting all worked up about it is useless.

Sorry....CC.. everything we discuss here is something we cant do anything about.

I think Luck's status is something to get 'all worked up about', don't you? 

With Andrew Luck, we'll see playoffs......without him....we'll see layoffs....

One thing that may give the Colts a chance in week 1 is Austin Blythe is the starting center. I think the Colts can get some pressure on Goff.

My biggest concern is the offense, unless we can run it well. 

If Luck comes back week 5 and the Colts are 2-2, they'll be okay.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Sorry....CC.. everything we discuss here is something we cant do anything about.

I think Luck's status is something to get 'all worked up about', don't you? 

With Andrew Luck, we'll see playoffs......without him....we'll see layoffs....

Getting all worked up does no good. As long time fans we both know that.

In reality we both know this team is in the middle of a rebuild. Making the playoffs with this team would just be a tease. :)

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The backup plays..but Jacoby B. probably wont even be in uniform this Sunday.

Gotta have a backup who knows the team a little bit

Huh? Isn't Jacoby the only backup? He should at least have the base formations down in a weeks time. Don't think we have much choice at this point (other than to re-sign Morris.)

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Possible, and realistic.  A little too conservative for my taste.  I stil hope 3 weeks after he performs team drills and takes reps with defense on the field too.

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

who is David Chao?

Dr. David Chao. Orthopedic surgeon, ex San Diego Chargers head team physician - 17 years. He knows things from insider knowledge (been there, performed that, etc...real experience with real NFL players), not insider information.

8 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Nobody freaking knows which is a huge red flag to me. 

Not even a timetable to return to practice.

Don't media get to see some practices, in certain time frames?  That, and the official league injury report (which they must file on Luck) will tell us what is up with Andrew. I hope he is going to participate in team drills (at least in a Limited role to begin), and not light tossing on the side. The longer it takes to start getting 'real reps', the longer it will take for him to see the field.

I'm not saying this is the case, but after the beating that Luck has taken for the last few years. I might feel like coming back when Kelly returns and Ballard signs a RT that can actually block someone. That would surely help my mental state, if for no other reason that I could turn around and hand it off to Gore and Mack 30 times a game.

As much money as we're paying him, someone needs to reach his butt how to throw with his left. 

I am sure he's had to learn to use his left a little more anyway. LOL. 

To the atypical personalities reading this; yes, that was a joke. 

We should take our time and get it right. On the upside, I drafted Luck in the late rounds tonight. 

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

As another poster said, i'd ignore this.  Chad Pennington hurt his arm in 2014, and Dr. Andrews did rotator cuff surgery on it in February 2005.  The Jets started him in early September (6 months after), and he played/threw poorly (unusual for Chad). in his 3rd game it was discovered he tore his rotator cuff again, so another surgery.  Early in the season.  So what is Herm talking about? different injury/repair, and they rushed Chad back and he re-injured it.  Got longer rehab before 2006, and started that year off with 2 straight >300 yard passing games.

I see no parallel here, and nothing that translates to Luck and his situation.