Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/1/17 (Pads are ON)

TKnight24

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances of Banner starting this year are extremely small.     I believe the Colts will use him as they did Clark last year.      Mostly, on special teams.      He'll be on the the xtra point and FG units and maybe even on the defensive side of those, because at 6'8" he's tallen enough to block them.

But starting on the OL in 2017?     I think the only way that happens is the way it was with Clark.    It's the last moth of the season,  and a starter gets hurt and the team feels Banner is ready in December to be plugged in,  espeically if the team is doing poorly. 

Otherwise,  he's not ready.     He might be next year,   but very, very unlikely this year.    And I'm a Banner fan,  and so is Philbin.    But this year is just too soon.

Hopefully Banner doesn't even dress most of the season. That would mean we have 7-8 OL that are holding it down pretty well. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've been kind of unsure of re-signing Vontae, but if he does that and stays healthy, let's keep him. 

Yeah he needs a good year. Not just in actual play but teaching as well. Hooker and Wilson will be good players but they need someone to look to for help when necessary. How that trio meshes determines the fate of the secondary

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Hopefully Banner doesn't even dress most of the season. That would mean we have 7-8 OL that are holding it down pretty well. 

Well....    in interviews that I've read,  Ballard keeps talking about 9-10 OL on the rostere.

I think that's the 53,  but surely doesn't mean that all of them would play when we only dress 47 on game day.   Or is it 46?

I believe Clark played roughly half of the first 14 games of the season before starting the last 3.....

Al Woods and Grover Stewart looking very impressive

Plain and simple, Woods is a massive individual. He’s amazingly strong and had his way with most of the offensive linemen he matched up against throughout the day. He’s literally snapping heads back with his initial punch, manhandling them and can will often force opposing defenses to double down on him. If he’s healthy, he’s the starting nose tackle, forget about it. His ability to be effective at the nose allows Hankins to do his thing in a handful of other alignments.

Stewart is just so stinking quick off the snap. His college tape didn’t impress me all that much, he just epitomized being a project. That is no longer my take on him. He, if everything stays the same, has the real possibility to take a legit backup role to the nose tackle and 3-tech positions.

The best thing about these two, is that they are both going to make Ryan Kelly significantly better by matching up against him throughout the rest of the summer. His combination of speed and strength could easily put him in a situation to contribute as much or more than Hassan Ridgeway did last season.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/1/16079046/camp-notes-colts-popping-pads-on-day-3-of-training-camp

Marlon Mack is going to be a blast to watch

In spite of Robert Turbin looking very good today as well, Mack was on another level from the rest of the backs. Especially when he gets to the line of scrimmage clean, he is quick, shifty he has some really fun one-cut ability and he can beat defenders to the edge with regularity.

A couple time today Mack went straight up the gut through the defense and moved side to side smoother than a bobsled. His lower body almost resembles an edge rusher’s bend when making multiple cuts. He doesn’t lose speed when changing direction and his big play possibilities make you just shake your head. Mack brings something the Colts simply do not have, and haven’t for quite a while.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    in interviews that I've read,  Ballard keeps talking about 9-10 OL on the rostere.

I think that's the 53,  but surely doesn't mean that all of them would play when we only dress 47 on game day.   Or is it 46?

I believe Clark played roughly half of the first 14 games of the season before starting the last 3.....

I'm talking more about the game day roster, where we'll dress 7 OL in most cases. And yes, just 46 active on game day. 

Clark was active most games, but I don't think we had as much playable depth as we do this year. Reitz was hurt, Haeg was hurt, and Blythe was only good for backing up the center spot, so he was inactive half the season. It's good that Clark got some reps along the way, but ideally, Banner would sit most of the year. He's a redshirt guy, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think that's a very strained analogy. Bobsleds have zero lateral movement ability. 

:)

How did my name get attached with that comment?   I didn't write that comment but somehow my name is on it.  That's weird!

I know skirmishes happen a lot in training camps, but I LOVE that Vontae, TY and Philly D were so competitive and passionate that they ended up brawling on the field. This ruthless "no job is secure" culture is starting to show, and, in my opinion, that's great for the Colts. Hopefully, this translates into nasty, violent play on both sides of the ball come December.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

How did my name get attached with that comment?   I didn't write that comment but somehow my name is on it.  That's weird!

Wasnt you saying it, but the part of the story you pasted into the topic. 

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

In spite of Robert Turbin looking very good today as well, Mack was on another level from the rest of the backs. Especially when he gets to the line of scrimmage clean, he is quick, shifty he has some really fun one-cut ability and he can beat defenders to the edge with regularity.

A couple time today Mack went straight up the gut through the defense and moved side to side smoother than a bobsled. His lower body almost resembles an edge rusher’s bend when making multiple cuts. He doesn’t lose speed when changing direction and his big play possibilities make you just shake your head. Mack brings something the Colts simply do not have, and haven’t for quite a while.

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm talking more about the game day roster, where we'll dress 7 OL in most cases. And yes, just 46 active on game day. 

Clark was active most games, but I don't think we had as much playable depth as we do this year. Reitz was hurt, Haeg was hurt, and Blythe was only good for backing up the center spot, so he was inactive half the season. It's good that Clark got some reps along the way, but ideally, Banner would sit most of the year. He's a redshirt guy, IMO. 

I totally agree that Banner starting is very remote. Probably would mean more than 1 injury . I do think that he will be a very valuable option when the Colts use an extra Ol in short yardage situations. He is a mauler with big time strength. 

28 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I totally agree that Banner starting is very remote. Probably would mean more than 1 injury . I do think that he will be a very valuable option when the Colts use an extra Ol in short yardage situations. He is a mauler with big time strength. 

Yup. I assume they won't activate him unless they're okay with him seeing extended snaps if there's an injury. Right now, I would think the active 7 would be AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, Good and Schwenke, but Schwenke hasn't practiced yet. They're saying Vujnovich and Redmond look decent at camp... 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. I assume they won't activate him unless they're okay with him seeing extended snaps if there's an injury. Right now, I would think the active 7 would be AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Clark, Good and Schwenke, but Schwenke hasn't practiced yet. They're saying Vujnovich and Redmond look decent at camp... 

That's a good point. He can't help in short yardage if he's not active...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Yup, we haven't had a home run threat at RB in a long, long time. Closest one was probably Donald Brown as he had the occasional long run. 

Would be nice to have a home run threat in the back field, again.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

i concur

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Al Woods and Grover Stewart looking very impressive

Plain and simple, Woods is a massive individual. He’s amazingly strong and had his way with most of the offensive linemen he matched up against throughout the day. He’s literally snapping heads back with his initial punch, manhandling them and can will often force opposing defenses to double down on him. If he’s healthy, he’s the starting nose tackle, forget about it. His ability to be effective at the nose allows Hankins to do his thing in a handful of other alignments.

Stewart is just so stinking quick off the snap. His college tape didn’t impress me all that much, he just epitomized being a project. That is no longer my take on him. He, if everything stays the same, has the real possibility to take a legit backup role to the nose tackle and 3-tech positions.

The best thing about these two, is that they are both going to make Ryan Kelly significantly better by matching up against him throughout the rest of the summer. His combination of speed and strength could easily put him in a situation to contribute as much or more than Hassan Ridgeway did last season.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/8/1/16079046/camp-notes-colts-popping-pads-on-day-3-of-training-camp

Thanks for sharing!!! Awesome to hear about our D line!!! 

On 7/31/2017 at 9:34 PM, CR91 said:

anyone else surprised morrison is getting first team reps over spence?

You know, when Pagano talked about him last year, he was always really positive. Loved the attitude. Several of his opposing college coaches were obviously not sorry to see him leave. Now that the kid knows what he's about, I think he'll show us something this year. Spence is a great player to get into a rotation. Might even slide Walker in on obvious passing downs.