Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teez Tabor Runs A Disappointing 4.75 40 At Florida Pro Day

14 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

He's officially off of my board. That is one of the worst numbers for a decent cornerback that I've ever seen!

OK. I once ran a 4.71 in high school varsity football. I was on the linebacker squad. Never played a down of football, Ever. And ran a 4.71. For a CB to run 4.75, a CB that played an entire season is worrisome. 

BTW, I was a drummer in the marching band. And still ran a 4.71. Never played PeeWee/ Pop Warner. Just street football. Now that's a real sport.lol

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Have had him off my board since the combine. 

He has not impressed me at all. 

I had a ...discussion...with a guy on StampedeBlue, an obvious Gator fan.  I told him IMO both of the CBs were way overrated.  If you watched any Florida games, you'd see that the good teams never had to throw the ball on them.  They ran at will.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I had a ...discussion...with a guy on StampedeBlue, an obvious Gator fan.  I told him IMO both of the CBs were way overrated.  If you watched any Florida games, you'd see that the good teams never had to throw the ball on them.  They ran at will.

Agree 100%.  Both are 3rd rounders at best for me.  Wilson is the better of the two and he has been rated worse than Tabor.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

How much of that do you believe is on Caleb Brantley? Are the yards coming up the middle or around the edges? To me, Brantley flashes all over the place, and is highly involved in a lot of plays. He reminds me a bit of Warren Sapp. But if he has trouble in run support then it will change my opinion of where he fits in the NFL. 

I have not watched Tabor`s tape one bit, so I don`t know if his slow 40 means its the end all be all.

Joe Haden ran a pretty bad 40 at the combine a few years ago. Found this article covering it.

When athleticism is seen as a prospect’s biggest strength, it’s imperative he performs well in Indianapolis. So when Haden ran a slower-than-expected 4.57 40-yard-dash, red flags were immediately raised. Fortunately for Haden, the Browns trusted their film evaluation of Haden and took him with the seventh overall pick. He’s repaid Cleveland with two Pro Bowl seasons. 

I am by no means putting Tabor in Haden`s class, just saying the slow 40 may not be as bad as everyone thinks. 

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I have not watched Tabor`s tape one bit, so I don`t know if his slow 40 means its the end all be all.

Joe Haden ran a pretty bad 40 at the combine a few years ago. Found this article covering it.

When athleticism is seen as a prospect’s biggest strength, it’s imperative he performs well in Indianapolis. So when Haden ran a slower-than-expected 4.57 40-yard-dash, red flags were immediately raised. Fortunately for Haden, the Browns trusted their film evaluation of Haden and took him with the seventh overall pick. He’s repaid Cleveland with two Pro Bowl seasons. 

I am by no means putting Tabor in Haden`s class, just saying the slow 40 may not be as bad as everyone thinks. 

Joe Haden ran a 4.57 40.  Anything under 4.6 is ok so I would not say it was pretty bad.  A 4.75 is pretty bad.

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

How much of that do you believe is on Caleb Brantley? Are the yards coming up the middle or around the edges? To me, Brantley flashes all over the place, and is highly involved in a lot of plays. He reminds me a bit of Warren Sapp. But if he has trouble in run support then it will change my opinion of where he fits in the NFL. 

If you're thinking about Brantley with our D, I'm not sure he's a fit.  He's more of a three tech guy, at least that's how I look at him.  He doesn't really have the bulk to play inside.

I think Florida had him and one decent LB, but their run defense was pretty bad.  I'd stay away from their CBs.  Wilson is supposed to be faster but Tabor is the better defender.  Neither are top 3 round picks IMHO.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Joe Haden ran a 4.57 40.  Anything under 4.6 is ok so I would not say it was pretty bad.  A 4.75 is pretty bad.

He ran 4.62 at the combine. I'm more inclined to accept combine tests, unless there is a real reason to do otherwise(for example the guy was injured/sick/whatever at the combine).

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

He ran 4.62 at the combine. I'm more inclined to accept combine tests, unless there is a real reason to do otherwise(for example the guy was injured/sick/whatever at the combine).

Sorry I posted his unofficial time.  He did run a much better pro day time regardless.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

If you're thinking about Brantley with our D, I'm not sure he's a fit.  He's more of a three tech guy, at least that's how I look at him.  He doesn't really have the bulk to play inside.

I think Florida had him and one decent LB, but their run defense was pretty bad.  I'd stay away from their CBs.  Wilson is supposed to be faster but Tabor is the better defender.  Neither are top 3 round picks IMHO.

I don't think Brantley is a misfit in any defense. He has plenty of position flexibility, and could play in any scheme. He would have been absolutely perfect in our old Tampa2 defense, but that does not mean there is no value for him in any other scheme. I could see him playing any position along our DL.

The only knock on him is that he doesn't play a lot of snaps.

I assumed you have watched a lot of Florida games, because you brought up them having issues stopping the run. I only asked if most of those yards were up the gut, or around the edges. Also a follow-up question; was there a noticeable difference stopping the run with Brantley in/out of the lineup?

I am completely in agreement with you about the Florida corners. Never understood the hype. 

For what it's worth, this drastic of a fall having in mind favorable conditions, can signify that he probably didn't work towards his pro-day. Even if we take his combine numbers, this cannot be overlooked. I bet teams are wondering what he was doing in the month between the combine and his pro-day.

16 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think Brantley is a misfit in any defense. He has plenty of position flexibility, and could play in any scheme. He would have been absolutely perfect in our old Tampa2 defense, but that does not mean there is no value for him in any other scheme. I could see him playing any position along our DL.

The only knock on him is that he doesn't play a lot of snaps.

I assumed you have watched a lot of Florida games, because you brought up them having issues stopping the run. I only asked if most of those yards were up the gut, or around the edges. Also a follow-up question; was there a noticeable difference stopping the run with Brantley in/out of the lineup?

I am completely in agreement with you about the Florida corners. Never understood the hype. 

It depends on what part of the season, or games, you're asking about.  I do get to see a lot of Florida living in SEC country.  They played really good D at the beginning of the year.  I had to look at their schedule to see when things went wrong, and I think it started with the Tennessee game.  Josh Dobbs, of all people, had his way passing over those vaunted CBs.

Then they looked good stuffing the run against Georgia so we thought they may be for real.  LSU ran on them without Fournette but was famously stuffed on the goal line.  I think the wheels fell of when Cook ran through them like a hot knife through butter, and Bama destroyed them.  But Brantley may have been injured those games.  So the answer may have been yes to your last question.

When Brantley and the LB (can't think of his name) were healthy for the bowl game, they played great D.  Sort of a Jekyll and Hyde defense.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

It depends on what part of the season, or games, you're asking about.  I do get to see a lot of Florida living in SEC country.  They played really good D at the beginning of the year.  I had to look at their schedule to see when things went wrong, and I think it started with the Tennessee game.  Josh Dobbs, of all people, had his way passing over those vaunted CBs.

Then they looked good stuffing the run against Georgia so we thought they may be for real.  LSU ran on them without Fournette but was famously stuffed on the goal line.  I think the wheels fell of when Cook ran through them like a hot knife through butter, and Bama destroyed them.  But Brantley may have been injured those games.  So the answer may have been yes to your last question.

When Brantley and the LB (can't think of his name) were healthy for the bowl game, they played great D.  Sort of a Jekyll and Hyde defense.

Thanks.

Makes sense, because when I watch Brantley's tape, he just pops right off the screen at me. The only knock I have on him, is his snap count.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Thanks.

Makes sense, because when I watch Brantley's tape, he just pops right off the screen at me. The only knock I have on him, is his snap count.

I'm with you on Brantley.   Like the kid.

14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He just doesn't know how to run a 40. 

His tape is impressive. Tape > everything 

I'd still rather have a handful of other corners before him, but he will go higher than y'all think. 

What? How do you not know how to run? And isn't that still a bad thing?

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

What? How do you not know how to run? And isn't that still a bad thing?

Not necessarily.  Many years ago in college I was at the field where some scouts were timing my friend an OL.  After the session he told me he was running 5.3's until a scout put him in a proper running stance and not a football stance.  The scout also showed him how to explode out of it.  After a few trials my friend was doing 5.1's.  Don't know if that helped his draft status but friend was drafted.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I said run the 40. He comes up too fast and stands straight up on his 40.. = bad time. not a track guy he plays football. 

Like I said-- Tape > everything. Just saying. 

I agree with what you are saying but this will definitely hurt his draft stock.  He is not going to fall multiple rounds but he lost money with that time.  He can still fall back on his slightly better combine time anyways.  That was at least a 4.62!

16 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree with what you are saying but this will definitely hurt his draft stock.  He is not going to fall multiple rounds but he lost money with that time.  He can still fall back on his slightly better combine time anyways.  That was at least a 4.62!

It might have hurt. But Norman and Malcom Butler both ran a 4.6 and they're two of the best in the league. Aj Bouye & Casey Hayward ran a 4.55 and that's not that far off 4.62.. IMO he will still be a early 2nd rounder. 

His time was worse at his pro day because he probably tried a new technique and it didn't work out for him. That's my guess, he said after the combine the one thing he was going to work on was his 40 dash. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

That guy is biased...for obvious reasons. There are things I like about Wilson...but I wouldn't touch Tabor...most overrated CB (followed by Humphrey).

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It might have hurt. But Norman and Malcom Butler both ran a 4.6 and they're two of the best in the league. Aj Bouye & Casey Hayward ran a 4.55 and that's not that far off 4.62.. IMO he will still be a early 2nd rounder. 

His time was worse at his pro day because he probably tried a new technique and it didn't work out for him. That's my guess, he said after the combine the one thing he was going to work on was his 40 dash. 

Just out of curiosity, where were those two drafted?  Lol.

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You know you used guys in comparison that were drafted in late rounds right.  That does not necessarily help your point.  Plus no GM will draft him based on a time similar to Josh Norman.  Norman was a great surprise and IMO Butler is a product of the Belichick system.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

You know you used guys in comparison that were drafted in late rounds right.  That does not necessarily help your point.  Plus no GM will draft him based on a time similar to Josh Norman.  Norman was a great surprise and IMO Butler is a product of the Belichick system.

What's that matter? NFL GMs don't take guys off their board or move them down rounds because of a combine. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You are correct but they do based on a combine and then a pro day that is even worse...lol

He allowed 2 TDs in 3 years, allowed 47% of passes his way in 3 years, in 2 of those years he wasn't beaten for a pass over 27 yards. And like I said his tape is good. So a 4.63 combine isn't a huge deal, which is all I was saying in my original comment. 

Game speed > shorts speed