Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts meeting with ILB Kevin Minter (Merge)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Some thoughts by Cardinal fans.
 He sounds like DQ.

therealoriginalFitzIsMyHero
3 days ago

Hes a good tackler. He really struggles in pass coverage. He struggled at blitzing up until garbage time this last season when we were no longer in contention for the post season. He has quite a way to go in his game. He might be a good 2nd stringer ILB at best! He can't shed blocks or push blocks into the running lanes to blow up running plays. Let me know if he starts for another team. I'd be really surprised.

Ford Williams 3 days ago

I was surprised when the Cards drafted him and he didn't start. He was like a deer in the headlights trying to fill Larry Foote's shoes. How many times did we hear that the tight end is not defended down seam? How many times did running backs break free for 30 yards right through his area of responsibility. I just wish the Cards could have drafted a linebacker for depth last year.

•  
  • All these guys have warts in free agency. Outside a few who will command top dollar there aren't any complete perfect players out there. What we seem to be targeting are young healthy guys that have had limited roles but seem ready to take on a larger one now or maybe break out. I like that...and the contracts seem to be in line so far with the quality of the player. We aren't going to build a SB contender over night. Baby steps...get some quality guys in here while we draft and develop. Can't be worse than last year that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not a huge fan. He's a less heralded version of Hightower. For the money, I'd rather have Minter, but he's still the phone booth kind of LB, like Antonio Morrison. 

Now I'm lukewarm, LOL. Ideally I want more flexibility out of the new set of ILB. 

35 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He was good in coverage in 2016, but terrible every year before. Either it finally clicked for him or it was an outlying season. The fact that arizona is steering clear of him worries me on that front. He also had 20 missed tackles last season.

All in all, I think there are better options out there (Hightower, Brown, Hodges) but overall he isnt a terrible prospect. 

My understanding is that he dropped a lot of weight and got much more athletic as a result....

I read that yesterday......

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not a huge fan. He's a less heralded version of Hightower. For the money, I'd rather have Minter, but he's still the phone booth kind of LB, like Antonio Morrison. 

I'm not sure he is anymore....

I read yesterday that he dropped a lot of weight last year and got much more athletic...   that's why his pass coverage rating spiked so high....

Sounds like he's not the same guy that he used to be.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691726-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-ilb-market

Kevin Minter is their no. 3 ranked free agent ILB

3. Kevin Minter

NFL1000 Scores 

Pass Defense: 17.8/25
    Run Defense: 27.3/35
    Pass Rush: 9.9/15
    Tackling: 10.7/15
    Positional Value: 6/10 
    Overall: 71.7/100
    2016 NFL1000 Inside Linebacker Rank: 21/65

NFL1000 ILB scout Jerod Brown

Kevin Minter is one of the most consistent linebackers in the league, and few people know about him. On an Arizona defense that is loaded with names and talent, Minter is the unsung hero who keeps things together in the middle of the field for the Cardinals. Deone Bucannon receives recognition for being an undersized linebacker—and he's average at best—but Minter is a much better player and has a skill set that can be maximized in Arizona’s aggressive defense.

Minter is a solid tackler and comfortable both in coverage and run support. While his tackle numbers were down from 2015, Minter contributed 3.5 sacks and played all 32 regular-season games for the Cardinals over the last two seasons. At 6’0” and 246 pounds, Minter has the frame to compete as an inside linebacker in a 4-3 or 3-4 and a skill set that is still developing as he enters the prime of his athleticism and NFL career.

Much like Timmons in Pittsburgh, Minter is the steadying source next to a relatively reckless play style from Bucannon. The Arizona defense has explosive playmakers at every level, and Minter remains the piece that shows continuity and consistency in his play style and effect on the game. He’ll never be Luke Kuechly, but, at the right price, he can be a long-term starter who gives the Cardinals financial flexibility at other positions.

Minter is hitting the free-agent market at an excellent time and should be one of the more sought-after players in this group. The Cardinals would be wise to lock him up. If they’re interested in experimenting with bargain players at linebacker, let Bucannon be the bait. Arizona’s aggressive play on defense relies on players like Minter being able to clean up some of the mess that is created.

Given he stays healthy, Minter could remain a starter for at least another five years. While many players on this list are hitting free agency looking for an opportunity to showcase themselves, Minter has two years of solid tape that can be used as leverage in negotiations.

Doug's Quick Take

Minter was an absolute beast of a run-stopper at LSU, and though it took him a while to make that same claim at the NFL level, he's done that over the last couple of seasons. He's limited to run-stopping and pass-rush duties for the most past, as he's not especially quick in space, but he'd be an asset to any 3-4 or hybrid team looking for toughness up the middle.

Potential Suitors: Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets

53 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Perfect now just bring brown and our LBer Corp is set

I'd be very surprised if we signed both Brown and Minter. I would be okay with that, but we have pressing needs at NT and Corner. But if we can get Minter for 5 million a year than I will take it. He and Jackson(or a ILB in the draft would be nice combo. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I'd be very surprised if we signed both Brown and Minter. I would be okay with that, but we have pressing needs at NT and Corner. But if we can get Minter for 5 million a year than I will take it. He and Jackson(or a ILB in the draft would be nice combo. 

Agreed

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

We still have plenty of cap to work with and minter won't be expensive

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

I would rather have Zach Brown, but Kevin Minter is solid. 

Very surprised Zach Brown isn't being sough after so far. He is like 1B for me at ILB this offseason. He is better at stopping the run, but just not as athletic or good in coverage as Hightower. Minter is only going into his 5th season. This could be his best season yet. I'd be happy with any of the three. But surprised we haven't attempted to grab Brown. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

We still have plenty of cap to work with and minter won't be expensive

Minter will be 5-6 million a year. D'Qwell Jackson got 5.5. I'm sure Minter will get at least something around that. Brown will probably get 7 and Minter will get 5-6 IMO. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Minter will be 5-6 million a year. D'Qwell Jackson got 5.5. I'm sure Minter will get at least something around that. Brown will probably get 7 and Minter will get 5-6 IMO. 

Yep plus there's some guys we can cut too in order to free up cap space if needed, like Art Jones for example.

They'll probably sign him.  It fits right in with their family atmosphere thing too. Mingo went to LSU, Minter went to LSU.  Minter is from Arizona, Edwin Jackson used to be with Arizona for some time so he probably knows him.  Sheard used to be on the same team with Mingo in Cleveland. Everybody knows everybody so it makes for a more family atmosphere and a tight locker room.  I'm betting they sign him.  Seem silly but they think about this stuff when they are bringing guys together.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure he is anymore....

I read yesterday that he dropped a lot of weight last year and got much more athletic...   that's why his pass coverage rating spiked so high....

Sounds like he's not the same guy that he used to be.....

I believe he dropped his playing weight in 2015, with limited results. My limited observation tells me they used him more in short zone coverage, which led to some higher coverage grading by certain outfits, but that doesn't mean he's better in coverage. He's not rangy or fluid, IMO, even at a lighter weight. And at a lighter weight, he's missed a lot of tackles, which probably isn't a coincidence.

He'd be better than D'Qwell, IMO. Better than Morrison. Cheaper than Hightower with the same or similar limitations. I'm not protesting, he's just not one of my favorites. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Sounds about right and let's say Poe gets 13 that leaves us 16 mil still to sign a CB

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hope this Jarod Brown guy is right. I trust Ballard to know what he is doing. If he brings the guy in then he has talent enough for me. I know Chris will make some mistakes but I think he has been incredibly thoughtful in our free agents we have been linked to. He is clearly below Hightower and Brown but to me he is at the top of that second tier of free agent.....he is young and just starting to "get it". I would be pleased with this signing....we have a lot more needs to take care of and his contract shouldn't hinder us in doing so. If we can lock up enough of these holes with some solid vets....we get to go BPA in this draft and that will be exciting.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

They'll probably sign him.  It fits right in with their family atmosphere thing too. Mingo went to LSU, Minter went to LSU.  Minter is from Arizona, Edwin Jackson used to be with Arizona for some time so he probably knows him.  Sheard used to be on the same team with Mingo in Cleveland. Everybody knows everybody so it makes for a more family atmosphere and a tight locker room.  I'm betting they sign him.  Seem silly but they think about this stuff when they are bringing guys together.

Don't forget Mingo and Sheard were teammates in NE

14 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Is there any ILB out in free agency that you are particularly fond of?

Not really. I'd rather have Hodges or Brown than Minter, though, and I'd rather have Minter than Hightower. I'm not against him, just not the kind of ILB I want the Colts to add. I want a rangy, athletic ILB who can matchup in passing situations.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. I'd rather have Hodges or Brown than Minter, though, and I'd rather have Minter than Hightower. I'm not against him, just not the kind of ILB I want the Colts to add. I want a rangy, athletic ILB who can matchup in passing situations.

Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster?

Just now, CR91 said:

Sounds about right and let's say Poe gets 13 that leaves us 16 mil still to sign a CB

If Brown gets 7 from some other team and Minters gets 6 from the Colts...I will be very disappointed. I think the difference between those two players is significant...and Brown has been much more productive, despite only starting one of the last two seasons.

Just now, Superman said:

I think we are pretty much on the same page. I was hoping for Hodges over anyone, or Brown depending on what the deal was with his drop off in play for the last 8 games of the year. 

Just now, Superman said:

Yes.

Or are you asking me who I prefer?

Yes is good. I assume you prefer Foster from what I've read you say about him around here.

Would you be OK with drafting Reddick in the first if Foster is gone? Would you rather have Foster in the first or Reddick in the second?

17 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

That is a promising fact. Still not pumped about a MLB that cant tackle though. 

I don't think he'd be the middle linebacker.

I think he'd be the WILL backer that Jerrell Freeman was.....

That's my hunch at least....

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think that is where we are targeting in the draft honestly. Hodges would be nice but I think he will require more money. I think there is a huge holding pattern to this group. Hightower is holding everything up. His contract is suppose to set the market...then Brown...Hodges...Minter etc. Some of these lesser guys may just say screw it...lets see what's being offered...sure we may leave a bit on the table but lets get something locked up before all the money is gone to other positions lol. I think Hodges will be in more demand. I think Minter is meant to be that steadying force on the defense....that will allow a young athletic LB possibly in the draft to come in and be our rangy all pro. I really think we are targeting Foster in the draft (thus the talk at 9 to get ahead of a couple teams that would target him as well)...may not work out but I think we look at him...and say a back up would be Reddick and Cunningham....just my gut...could totally be wrong.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

If Brown gets 7 from some other team and Minters gets 6 from the Colts...I will be very disappointed. I think the difference between those two players is significant...and Brown has been much more productive, despite only starting one of the last two seasons.

Can't always predict the market. Some teams value players differently