Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do if you are Cleveland?

James Ducheteau

I ran a fanspeak mock for the browns just to see what they got, and they have a ridiculous number of high picks. I think if it was me, I would use my picks this year on everything but a qb, you can end up with an extremely competent offense or defense depending on where you focus and look to trade next years pick for good ole Jimmy G. 

Stay away from QB's in this draft for sure. None of them are really all that worthy, at least not until the later rounds, but who really WANTS a later round QB? Sure, once a decade you might find a Brady or Wilson.... but the odds are vastly against you. 

I wouldnt trade for JimmyG though, he is overrated... too small a sample size and working in Belicheck's system. He won't be half the player with another team.

Personally, if I were the Browns, i'd give my fans something to perk them up for this season and maybe next as well... Pay Romo and get him in, look to draft a QB next year or the year after.

I would draft defense....

...Like Chuck, I would talk to Tony Romo..and see if he'd come to Cleve for $20 mil ..for a year with an option..........outbid Houston and Denver.

Not a permanent answer but a lift for the team. If Romo gets hurt, you still have Robert Griffin.

Browns need defensive players///

One thing thought..draft a QB. Teams should draft a QB every year..

Denver drafted Osweiler and Siemian even though they had Manning.

NE drafted Jimmy G and Jacoby B. even though they had Brady..

Bears haven't drafted a QB in 3 years

I think there's little downside to drafting a QB every year

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Stay away from QB's in this draft for sure. None of them are really all that worthy, at least not until the later rounds, but who really WANTS a later round QB? Sure, once a decade you might find a Brady or Wilson.... but the odds are vastly against you. 

I wouldnt trade for JimmyG though, he is overrated... too small a sample size and working in Belicheck's system. He won't be half the player with another team.

Personally, if I were the Browns, i'd give my fans something to perk them up for this season and maybe next as well... Pay Romo and get him in, look to draft a QB next year or the year after.

I think if cleveland goes for a free agent qb over drafting they will make a play for AJ McCarron. Wont cost as high a pick as JimmyG, plus he knows Hues system and has ran it to a decent degree of success. 

I think that gives them a young option with promise that the fan base can get excited about. 

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I would draft defense....

...Like Chuck, I would talk to Tony Romo..and see if he'd come to Cleve for $20 mil ..for a year with an option..........outbid Houston and Denver.

Not a permanent answer but a lift for the team. If Romo gets hurt, you still have Robert Griffin.

Browns need defensive players///

One thing thought..draft a QB. Teams should draft a QB every year..

Denver drafted Osweiler and Siemian even though they had Manning.

NE drafted Jimmy G and Jacoby B. even though they had Brady..

Bears haven't drafted a QB in 3 years

I think there's little downside to drafting a QB every year

The downside would be which qb to get rid of if they drafted a new one? If they have romo, rg3, kessler, rookie. I thought Kessler showed enough last year to merit being groomed behind the starters for another season. 

Not sure any team wants to carry 4 qbs. Sure didnt help the jets last year. 

8 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

The downside would be which qb to get rid of if they drafted a new one? If they have romo, rg3, kessler, rookie. I thought Kessler showed enough last year to merit being groomed behind the starters for another season. 

I hear you but because you draft them doesnt mean you have to keep them.

Draft the QB.....and see what he's got. If he cant beat out your No.3 guy.....no loss..cut him loose.

In the Browns case....draft a guy you like as a project. If he cant beat out Kessler...too bad.

But if he shows you something....you got lucky.

Dallas drafted Dak Prescott to be the No. 3 guy and the other two jamokes got hurt

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Just keep drafting well, and when the right QB is available, give up whatever it takes to get him. For now, improve the rest of your roster through the draft and limited free agency.

Edit: I'd consider Chad Kelly in a later round.

I do anything and everything possible to acquire draft picks. Move back....trade any possible assets like joe Thomas if it will net you a 1.... just build that defense...stock pile same position whatever.  Create a team centered around competition for your job and competing like Seattle did and yes when the right qb comes along draft him sign him whatever. Even just a decent young qb like dalton or Wilson was would be able to take you to the promise land with an elite defense.....but acquire picks picks and more picks because unless you are great GM it's still a numbers game.....oh and hope after you build a great defense Brady retires and you hire Bill back lol.

47 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sign FA QB Mike Glennon from Tampa. I think he has a lot of potential to be a quality starting QB.

I'm surprised that TB weren't able to find a trade partner for Glennon. He's a decent enough young QB for me and wouldn't have cost much to take a punt on. I do wonder if partly it's because he doesn't look the part of a QB frame wise. 

11 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'm surprised that TB weren't able to find a trade partner for Glennon. He's a decent enough young QB for me and wouldn't have cost much to take a punt on. I do wonder if partly it's because he doesn't look the part of a QB frame wise. 

I think they scared off a lot of people with their asking price. It was rumored they turned down an offer of a 2nd round pick last year. Not sure Glennon is worth a first. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think they'd be better off trying to sign Tyrod Taylor if the Bills release him

That`s the word on the street with Cleveland looking to possibly sign Taylor. If that's the case, I know why the Browns continue to stink. 

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

That`s the word on the street with Cleveland looking to possibly sign Taylor. If that's the case, I know why the Browns continue to stink. 

I think Taylor has tons of potential.  Add in a good head coach in Hue Jackson and some decent weapons around him, like Barnidge and Pryor, and you could have a pretty good offense.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, SaturdayAllDay said:

You cant have 4.......Kessler isn't going to ever be a starter.

They've been waiting a long time. Get a guy who can play now..RG3 would be a solid backup