Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pick with our 1st?

Skill position or Trenches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• LB,CB,DE,OL(Barnett,Mckinnley,Wilson,Jones,Thomas,Williams,Foster,Robinson ETC)
    • RB(Cook,Fournette)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people on here aren't advocating for a RB. They are just trying to explain to you that it isn't far fetched and that it would fill a need. 

I don't want a RB in the 1st but I'd be the first person with a Cook jersey if we drafted him. 

17 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Most people on here aren't advocating for a RB. They are just trying to explain to you that it isn't far fetched and that it would fill a need. 

I don't want a RB in the 1st but I'd be the first person with a Cook jersey if we drafted him. 

Lol its not far fetched for Carolina to take a HB in the 1st, but it is for us. JMO. Thanks for voting my good sir. I do respect your insightful opinion. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Just image a 1st round CB,LB, or DE is available. Ala Dereck Barnett, Sidney Jones etc

If Solomon Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, or Reuben Foster are there I'm taking them. I'd even take Quincy Wilson. 

But id take Cook over Barnett tbh

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Danggggg man.. I love Barnett.

What about Gareon Conley, Sidney Jones? Theyre right there with Marshon and Quincy imo.

I love Conley. Just not in the first round.  I need to watch tape on Jones and make sure people aren't just assuming he's the next Marcus Peters because he's the same size and played at the same school.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I love Conley. Just not in the first round.  I need to watch tape on Jones and make sure people aren't just assuming he's the next Marcus Peters because he's the same size and played at the same school.

I think they're both 1st rounders, Conley could definitely fall to the 2nd, but not Sidney. He's a boss and is already very polished in man coverage. 

48 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

had to say, depends on if there's a run on QBs and if both Cook and Fournette are taken too.

All I know is that there will be some very good players available when the Colts pick.

Now let me throw another curveball....what if Ballard went with OL in the first?

I actually put OL in with the trenches group. Trenches > skill positions.

13 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Can't pass on Cook.  Trade up to get LBs,Edge and DL if need be....But you need to get Cook.

Meh.... Resign Frank Gore and Turbin another year. They got the job done in my opinion. Our defense needs to rush the passer and get the ball back to Andrew Luck as fast as possible.

A solid running game would of helped in those games too. If we could run the ball effectively our defense would of been fresher for the final drives. The D played fairly well at the beginning of those games. They were just gassed at the end. Best players available is who we should pick. Even if it's Cook.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If Solomon Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, or Reuben Foster are there I'm taking them. I'd even take Quincy Wilson. 

But id take Cook over Barnett tbh

Quincy Wilson is a 2nd rounder from everything I've read. Completely agree on taking Thomas, Lattimore, or Foster if they're available.

As I write this it has to be OLB for me. Simply because the cupboard is bare. Before resignings, we have Akeem Ayers and Curt Maggitt. On their best days, they are role players, at most. Erik Walden needs resigning. He's not going to light the world on fire as a pass rusher. He's not an elite edge defender anymore, although he is still decent against the run and can hold up in the passing game. Unless we boss FA and bring in at least 1 quality OLB starter, for me there is no other choice if McKinley is available.

But it all depends on what happens between now and draft night. If for some Ballard decides on an 'out with the old and in with the new' approach and cuts Gore; Takes Vontae's, likely Pagano's and the fans advice and brings in someone like Melvin Ingram (along with resigning Walden, although he might end up a casualty of the 'out with the old...' business).Then I can absolutely see him picking up Dalvin. And after a brief 15 second blinding rage, I'll be fine with that. I'd say a few things need to happen before I'd be happy taking Dalvin at #14/#15.

It comes down to the fact that it is easier to find a quality RB in rounds 2-4 than it is to find a quality pass rusher. 

If Gore is cut this is a list of RBs in the draft that would be instant starting quality RBs IMO, along with their round projections:

Fournette (early rd1)

Cook (early-mid rd1)                  Tier 1    

McCaffrey (early rd2)

Kamara (mid-late rd2)

Foreman (early rd3)                   Tier 2   

Hunt (mid rd3)

Clement (late 3 - early 4)           Tier 3     

Conclusion: Talent to be had in 2nd tier. 3rd tier are backups/change of pace backs. Note. I did not include Joe Mixon because with his character stuff I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

The instant impact starting quality OLBs:

Garrett (should be no.1)

Thomas (likely top 10 on draft night)

McKinley (top 20)

Harris (top 25)                              Tier 1   

Barnett (late rd1, trending down due to lack of athleticism)

Smoot (late rd1)

Watt (early rd2 and rising)         Tier 2   

Conclusion: A lot of talent flying off the board early and a significant drop off after the 1st tier. 2nd tier starting still in the first round. Note. I did not include Tim Williams due to his apparent drug issues which takes him out of consideration for our first 3 rounds IMO.

I think we are all a bit too wrapped up in the possibility of Cook....some because they are afraid we'll draft him and some afraid we won't.

Much will change on draft boards in coming months, but the likelihood of a premium defender being available at 14 who is rated at or above Cook's value to the Colts is very high and makes the threat of drafting Cook very low.

Here's some hypotheticals on who I would take if they fell to our pick:

Foster>Cook/Fournette 

Cook/ Fournette/Barnett 

McKinley>Cook but Fournette >McKinley

Thomas>all

Lattimore> all except Thomas

Fournette is always an argument though because just on talent he's probably the 2nd best player in this draft. 

I will go with BPA.  If Foster is there yes please but I have a crush on him.  That being said I like Ballard and am interested to see his approach as I already think he is better at evaluating talent compared to Grigson.  His board should be different and I assume a lot of D players will be there.  If Cook is tops then again go BPA.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Here's some hypotheticals on who I would take if they fell to our pick:

Foster>Cook/Fournette 

Cook/ Fournette/Barnett 

McKinley>Cook but Fournette >McKinley

Thomas>all

Lattimore> all except Thomas

Fournette is always an argument though because just on talent he's probably the 2nd best player in this draft. 

If Lattimore fell to us I would love to have him as well.  By our pick I just do not see him or Foster being available.  I have hopes and dreams though.

1 hour ago, KB said:

A solid running game would of helped in those games too. If we could run the ball effectively our defense would of been fresher for the final drives. The D played fairly well at the beginning of those games. They were just gassed at the end. Best players available is who we should pick. Even if it's Cook.

I don't agree with the "great offense will mask our terrible defense" argument. I'd rather just upgrade the depleted defense. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't agree with the "great offense will mask our terrible defense" argument. I'd rather just upgrade the depleted defense. 

Spending one out of seven picks on a RB does not take away from helping the D this year.  Plus FA could add some talent as well.

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No but the most talent at that position will obviously be in the 1st. I'm all for taking a RB, mid rounds, in this deep rb class.

You can say that about any position in the draft.  The first round typically gives the most talent correct.  Now if Ballard sees Cook or a RB as the BPA then I have no argument with that.  We would have that improved and then focus on all other wholes we have.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

You can say that about any position in the draft.  The first round typically gives the most talent correct.  Now if Ballard sees Cook or a RB as the BPA then I have no argument with that.  We would have that improved and then focus on all other wholes we have.

No I disagree. @UKColt13 said it nicely up there ^

I`m leaning towards CB period. There are a lot of very good corners in this draft. For the exception of a couple of the Edge rushers, I`m skeptical once the 1st two Edge players are off the board and the Colts pick. Hopefully, the Colts can sign an Ingram in FA and not worry about pass rushers in the 1st. I`m only sold on G. Myles really and that's it. Thomas, Barnett and McKinley could very well be great players, but I`m not as high as others on them for different reasons.

25 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No but the most talent at that position will obviously be in the 1st. I'm all for taking a RB, mid rounds, in this deep rb class.

Tell that to Mathis, Houston, just to name a few. There will be plenty of talent in each round. Imo cook is better than any of the players named. Foster is the only one I would take over cook but he will be long gone

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

How do you disagree that the first round produces the most talent.  Please read my post over again before I comment any further.

I don't. I'm saying the value and talent on defense is greater in the 1st, compared to RB(or any skill position)

10 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Tell that to Mathis, Houston, just to name a few. There will be plenty of talent in each round. Imo cook is better than any of the players named. Foster is the only one I would take over cook but he will be long gone

I could name quite a few late round RBs too but that's not the point. The point is, would you pick a blue chip defender, or a running back in the 1st. That simple, and that's what the threads about. 

And you said Foster is the only defender you'd take over a RB. Interesting insight sir. 

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I`m leaning towards CB period. There are a lot of very good corners in this draft. For the exception of a couple of the Edge rushers, I`m skeptical once the 1st two Edge players are off the board and the Colts pick. Hopefully, the Colts can sign an Ingram in FA and not worry about pass rushers in the 1st. I`m only sold on G. Myles really and that's it. Thomas, Barnett and McKinley could very well be great players, but I`m not as high as others on them for different reasons.

I'm pretty high on Barnett and Tim Williams, I'd be okay with Takk.

I agree though I'd love if we took a CB. 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't. I'm saying the value and talent on defense is greater in the 1st, compared to RB(or any skill position)

I could name quite a few late round RBs too but that's not the point. The point is, would you pick a blue chip defender, or a running back in the 1st. That simple, and that's what the threads about. 

And you said Foster is the only defender you'd take over a RB. Interesting insight sir. 

If I'm going bpa yes foster would be the only one. Besides the obvious Garrett. Cook is a top 5-10 prospect. He would be rated higher than any defender at our spot. But this is all my opinion of course

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don't see Lattimore being available at our pick but if he was that would be huge.  He could be a day 1 starter and in year 2 become a replacement for Davis if money is an issue.