Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its been 10 years since this...

RockThatBlue

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Time flies! It doesn't seem like it's been 10 years. Glad we at least won 1 to validate all the Regular Season wins we had over that decade. After 2005, I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen.

Still burns me that we didn't win at least one more during that era, but 1 is better than none. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Still burns me that we didn't win at least one more during that era, but 1 is better than none. 

We had pretty good chances in 2005 and 2009. Just didn't work out. Yes 1 is miles better than none. Look at all the borderline Great teams/Great Players that didn't win even 1 - The Bills from 1990-1993 for example, also the Eagles with McNabb made it too 5 Championship Games and 1 SB but never got the SB win to validate their Greatness. Dan Marino!

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had pretty good chances in 2005 and 2009. Just didn't work out. Yes 1 is miles better than none. Look at all the borderline Great teams/Great Players that didn't win even 1 - The Bills from 1990-1993 for example, also the Eagles with McNabb made it too 5 Championship Games and 1 SB but never got the SB win to validate their Greatness. Dan Marino!

I was so disappointed when we didn't win it in 05. That IMO was the best rounded team in the Peyton era, and probably one of the best overall teams in Colts history. We even had a pretty good defense that year, which we usually didn't have while Peyton was here. Such a missed opportunity.

10 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was so disappointed when we didn't win it in 05. That IMO was the best rounded team in the Peyton era, and probably one of the best overall teams in Colts history. We even had a pretty good defense that year, which we usually didn't have while Peyton was here. Such a missed opportunity.

Yeah 2009 disappointed as well. The Saints were a Great team but we made so many blunders in that game. From the onside kick, to the miss FG, Peyton's Pick 6, and Freeney being injured hurt our Pass Rush as well. 2005 was our most talented team overall but I think getting Adam in 2006 was critical. Guy is clutch in the Playoffs.

Most people don't critically analyze the reasons the Colts came up short. They DO come up with all sorts of excuses, however, quite easily. I wonder if the Colts organization really learned the needed lessons from both winning and coming up short in winning the SB? "People are believers. They can, and do, believe almost anything." But, some beliefs, when tested, will prove to be false. The paradox (Quine) is that you can't completely believe all your beliefs (a human cognitive bias).

49 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Most people don't critically analyze the reasons the Colts came up short. They DO come up with all sorts of excuses, however, quite easily. I wonder if the Colts organization really learned the needed lessons from both winning and coming up short in winning the SB? "People are believers. They can, and do, believe almost anything." But, some beliefs, when tested, will prove to be false. The paradox (Quine) is that you can't completely believe all your beliefs (a human cognitive bias).

Hard telling but a lot of what I Post is fact to why we did lose in certain years. In a 1 game situation if your team makes more mistakes than the other than you normally lose. Some franchises like the Steelers in the 70's, 49ers in the 80's, and Cowboys in the 90's overcame the odds and won a lot of SB's, same for the Patriots since the 2000's. Those are all dynasties. How about the Vikings of the 70's, Buffalo Bills of the 90's, Eagles of the 2000's - they didn't win any SB's but all could've, had they played great on SB Sunday. I tend to stay Positive more than Negative and take the bad with the good - meaning we won at least 1 SB to go along with the most wins in the decade of 2000-2009. Franchises like the 70's Vikings, 90's Bills, and 2000's Eagles would kill for 1 SB win. So would Dan Marino, he couldn't win one and had Don Shula as Coach in the 80's.

We were one and done 7 times during the Manning era. Three ( 99,05,07) of those times after a first round bye. That's most disappointing to me more than anything else.

The 05 and 07 losses were inexcusable. Got out coached and the other team was mentally sharper.

7 hours ago, CoachLite said:

What the hell are you talking about?

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Ummmm.......whut?

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I remember my parents went out and bought a big HD tv for this game specifically. The excitement in our house was insane. Just glad I'm not one of those fans that will never see their team win a championship.

Hope we get another one before long.

I remember when we beat the Ravens in the Divisional Round. I was actually at my parents house (Mom/step Dad) while that game was going on. Once I seen how physical we were with them with Bob Sanders and our Defense I told them we got this now.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I feel like we could have won in 08 as well. There were no real power house teams that year. We had already beat the Steelers that year. The Super Bowl was up for grabs!

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I can't believe he let Ben tackle him.....What could have been If only he had gone past him.... What could have been.... :(

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 2009 disappointed as well. The Saints were a Great team but we made so many blunders in that game. From the onside kick, to the miss FG, Peyton's Pick 6, and Freeney being injured hurt our Pass Rush as well. 2005 was our most talented team overall but I think getting Adam in 2006 was critical. Guy is clutch in the Playoffs.

Freeney being hurt was huge but I'll forever remember that 3rd down drop by Garçon at the end of 2nd quarter that gave ball back to Saints and gave them momentum. I mean honestly he had so much room to run maybe even aTD. Biggest plays in that game were our own mistakes. Can't win a SB that way.

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

I take it you do not play a competitive sport. I do. Playing against good competition, you not only need to know the competition's strengths and weaknesses, but your own team's strengths and weaknesses -- especially the kinds of errors your team is prone to make under duress. One component of our strategy is giving the other team the opportunity to make their mistakes. Not rocket science. In order to play against the best, and win, you need to analyze what nuances it takes to overcome their advantages and get into their heads. This isn't Xs and Os.

3 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I take it you do not play a competitive sport. I do. Playing against good competition, you not only need to know the competition's strengths and weaknesses, but your own team's strengths and weaknesses -- especially the kinds of errors your team is prone to make under duress. One component of our strategy is giving the other team the opportunity to make their mistakes. Not rocket science. In order to play against the best, and win, you need to analyze what nuances it takes to overcome their advantages and get into their heads. This isn't Xs and Os.

BTW, this is how we often beat teams that are more talented than we are.

7 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

BTW, this is how we often beat teams that are more talented than we are.

Bottomline is, the better team doesn't always win. What is the Pats excuse losing to the Giants twice? Not once but twice and 2007 was a joke they lost that game. I am sure Bill Belichick was prepared for everything as they beat everyone by 100 points that season it seemed. The Bills in 1990 lost to the Giants as well because their FG kicker missed a 47 Yard FG. No matter how prepared you are, you can still lose if 1 or 2 breaks don't go your way. The Seahawks decided to pass from the 1 Yard line instead of giving it to Lynch, they get picked off and Pats win that SB. Stuff happens on any given day no matter if you have the better team or how prepared you are.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bottomline is, the better team doesn't always win. What is the Pats excuse losing to the Giants twice? Not once but twice and 2007 was a joke they lost that game. I am sure Bill Belichick was prepared for everything as they beat everyone by 100 points that season it seemed. The Bills in 1990 lost to the Giants as well because their FG kicker missed a 47 Yard FG. No matter how prepared you are, you can still lose if 1 or 2 breaks don't go your way. The Seahawks decided to pass from the 1 Yard line instead of giving it to Lynch, they get picked off and Pats win that SB. Stuff happens on any given day no matter if you have the better team or how prepared you are.

That's my point. What is it that makes "the better team"? Winning doesn't necessarily mean being the better team. "Great teams make their own luck". This doesn't guarantee winning, but it helps.

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

That's my point. What is it that makes "the better team"? Winning doesn't necessarily mean being the better team. "Great teams make their own luck". This doesn't guarantee winning, but it helps.

I see your point and what you are getting at. You are saying great teams create their own luck, I get that but sometimes it comes down to miracle plays why a team loses too. Like Tyree's catch on his helmet, Bills missing a FG had nothing to do with Giants, Norwood just blew it as he wasn't rushed or anything.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see your point and what you are getting at. You are saying great teams create their own luck, I get that but sometimes it comes down to miracle plays why a team loses too. Like Tyree's catch on his helmet, Bills missing a FG had nothing to do with Giants, Norwood just blew it as he wasn't rushed or anything.

Of course.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I remember when we beat the Ravens in the Divisional Round. I was actually at my parents house (Mom/step Dad) while that game was going on. Once I seen how physical we were with them with Bob Sanders and our Defense I told them we got this now.

That was a slobberknocker kind o' game.