Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay spent 10 hours with Gruden in Texas.

RockThatBlue

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trust me, if Jim Irsay changes his mind or if a deal with Gruden falls through, I know you'll all hate me. Just giving you what I'm hearing.

BTW, the official word from the Colts on the futures of Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano is... nothing. Silence. For 10 days.

sounds like a guy backpedaling

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I didn't call it a detriment. I favor the rule. 

honest question because I legitimately don't know, let's say that Vance Joseph was the Broncos #1 first and only choice.  Do they still have to interview a white candidate (or other minority?) before offering Joseph the job?

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

LOL, the disappointment on this forum when/if nothing happens. We will be like: :wall::censored2::ticked::Cry::hissy::Gaah::explode:

I am not going to freak out either way.  But are people like yourself that said "THERE IS NO CHANCE ANY CHANGES WILL BE MADE", going to eat crow or just act like you never said it?  

2 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I am not going to freak out either way.  But are people like yourself that said "THERE IS NO CHANCE ANY CHANGES WILL BE MADE", going to eat crow or just act like you never said it?  

Hey, I honestly have no idea whether Irsay will make a change already this year, but I hope so! Just for the record I would love to see Peyton coming here and Gruden would be a fantastic breath of fresh air.

39 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

honest question because I legitimately don't know, let's say that Vance Joseph was the Broncos #1 first and only choice.  Do they still have to interview a white candidate (or other minority?) before offering Joseph the job?

Nope. Just have to interview at least one minority candidate. There are no other requirements that I'm aware of.

8 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Hey, I honestly have no idea whether Irsay will make a change already this year, but I hope so! Just for the record I would love to see Peyton coming here and Gruden would be a fantastic breath of fresh air.

My bad, I kind of misread your post anyways.  There really is no way to tell,  but it definitely seems like Irsay is cooking up something.  Whether it comes off or falls apart is the real question.  

I think as of right now we have the following options:

1) All of this is complete %, nothing happens (for god knows what reason), everyone is lying, all the rumors are false, or Irsay doesn't get anything done: Grigson and Pagano both stay, and all the fans start rioting on the streets

2) Gruden is hired as head coach and given complete control of the roster by Irsay (by extension, he decides either Grigson is fired or demoted, neither of which really matter at that point)

3) Gruden is hired as head coach AND Manning is hired as team president/exec. Grigson is fired, GM role is essentially dissolved. Here you essentially have a very experienced coach working with Manning and advising him on pretty much everything personnel related even though Manning is top dog

4) Manning is hired as team president/exec, and given full control. He then decides on what to do with Grigson, Pagano, and any future coaches/execs. Here Gruden deal doesn't happen but Manning goes somewhere else to find a really experienced head coach and not a first timer (which makes sense considering Manning would be new to the management game). 

Out of all the above options, I rate 3 as least likely but most favorable in my opinion. Gruden and Manning like each other and respect each other. Gruden is obviously an upgrade at head coach and can help Manning with management/personnel decisions. Then I gotta go with 2 which is more likely but still not 100%, Gruden being Head Coach/Exec doesn't seem too bad either. He is experienced enough to be trusted with personnel decisions and we all know about his secret crush for Luck so he will do whatever it takes to get back to the Super bowl. 

15 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I think as of right now we have the following options:

1) All of this is complete %, nothing happens (for god knows what reason), everyone is lying, all the rumors are false, or Irsay doesn't get anything done: Grigson and Pagano both stay, and all the fans start rioting on the streets

2) Gruden is hired as head coach and given complete control of the roster by Irsay (by extension, he decides either Grigson is fired or demoted, neither of which really matter at that point)

3) Gruden is hired as head coach AND Manning is hired as team president/exec. Grigson is fired, GM role is essentially dissolved. Here you essentially have a very experienced coach working with Manning and advising him on pretty much everything personnel related even though Manning is top dog

4) Manning is hired as team president/exec, and given full control. He then decides on what to do with Grigson, Pagano, and any future coaches/execs. Here Gruden deal doesn't happen but Manning goes somewhere else to find a really experienced head coach and not a first timer (which makes sense considering Manning would be new to the management game). 

Out of all the above options, I rate 3 as least likely but most favorable in my opinion. Gruden and Manning like each other and respect each other. Gruden is obviously an upgrade at head coach and can help Manning with management/personnel decisions. Then I gotta go with 2 which is more likely but still not 100%, Gruden being Head Coach/Exec doesn't seem too bad either. He is experienced enough to be trusted with personnel decisions and we all know about his secret crush for Luck so he will do whatever it takes to get back to the Super bowl. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Trust me, if Jim Irsay changes his mind or if a deal with Gruden falls through, I know you'll all hate me. Just giving you what I'm hearing.

BTW, the official word from the Colts on the futures of Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano is... nothing. Silence. For 10 days.

sounds like a guy backpedaling

Eh, not really. One thing that may not have been mentioned in this thread: remember how fast the rumors of Gruden to LA Rams got squashed by Gruden's camp? Like, instantly, before they could pick up any kind of steam. That's not happening this time around, with this situation. There seems to be legitimate mutual interest. Obviously that doesn't mean a deal will ultimately get done, but don't discount it just because it's not Adam Schefter reporting it.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Eh, not really. One thing that may not have been mentioned in this thread: remember how fast the rumors of Gruden to LA Rams got squashed by Gruden's camp? Like, instantly, before they could pick up any kind of steam. That's not happening this time around, with this situation. There seems to be legitimate mutual interest. Obviously that doesn't mean a deal will ultimately get done, but don't discount it just because it's not Adam Schefter reporting it.

There's no one credible reporting about Gruden to the Colts at this point, and definitely no one with a national audience. It's a little different at this point.

Just now, Superman said:

There's no one credible reporting about Gruden to the Colts at this point, and definitely no one with a national audience. It's a little different at this point.

Cowherd mentioned it on his show this morning, albeit briefly. And NESN wrote an article the other day regarding the Irsay jet in Houston story. Aside from that, it seems like everyone's taking a wait-and-see approach.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Cowherd mentioned it on his show this morning, albeit briefly. And NESN wrote an article the other day regarding the Irsay jet in Houston story. Aside from that, it seems like everyone's taking a wait-and-see approach.

That's true. Still kind of "blogosphere" information at this point, though. In the case of the Rams, I think Schefter reported that Gruden was interested, and Gruden had it shut down. So for me, if Schefter or someone with his kind of reputation reported this stuff about Gruden, and it continued to linger, then I'd agree with you.

For now, the situation just seems a little off (okay, a lot off). I'm bracing myself for anything, and kind of have been for a week and a half. But I wouldn't be surprised if this all just blows over and nothing happens. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That's true. Still kind of "blogosphere" information at this point, though. In the case of the Rams, I think Schefter reported that Gruden was interested, and Gruden had it shut down. So for me, if Schefter or someone with his kind of reputation reported this stuff about Gruden, and it continued to linger, then I'd agree with you.

For now, the situation just seems a little off (okay, a lot off). I'm bracing myself for anything, and kind of have been for a week and a half. But I wouldn't be surprised if this all just blows over and nothing happens. 

Agreed

Source: Jon Gruden has been approached regarding the Colts head coach job, which is still Chuck Pagano's. Gruden is interested in the job.

7 hours ago via brad wells. 

Rumors galore in Indy and it's hard for me to believe that irsay doesn't quiet this many rumors if their is no traction. 

This would be awesome. I really hope it happens. Gruden would instill accountability and playing all four quarters into this team. Which is what we all want to see from the Colts. Slow starts have been a problem all five years with Pagano and I find it hard to believe that would continue if Gruden does become the new HC

10 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

This would be awesome. I really hope it happens. Gruden would instill accountability and playing all four quarters into this team. Which is what we all want to see from the Colts. Slow starts have been a problem all five years with Pagano and I find it hard to believe that would continue if Gruden does become the new HC

And yet it could still continue because Luck is still the QB.  Just sayin'...

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

And yet it could still continue because Luck is still the QB.  Just sayin'...

Yes Luck is still the QB and a good one too. He does make bonehead decisions at times but that's because this staff doesn't get on him about it. Pagano will just clap as if nothing bad happened. There would be no clapping by Gruden. Just sayin'...

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

Yes Luck is still the QB and a good one too. He does make bonehead decisions at times but that's because this staff doesn't get on him about it. Pagano will just clap as if nothing bad happened. There would be no clapping by Gruden. Just sayin'...

Getting on him isn't going to change the way he plays.  He isn't 9.  Do you really think screaming at adult professionals is going to change the way they play?  

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I love when people end a sentence with "just sayin"   Awesome analysis of your stance on the subject.     Just sayin'

Easy, man.  I think you're a bit stressed.   A simple expression brings that response?  C'mon, please.

I'm just stating that the slow starts could be due to Andrew just as much as the game planning.  That's not too hard to deduce from my statement.  No need to try to attack me for using an expression that you don't like.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Easy, man.  I think you're a bit stressed.   A simple expression brings that response?  C'mon, please.

I'm just stating that the slow starts could be due to Andrew just as much as the game planning.  That's not too hard to deduce from my statement.  No need to try to attack me for using an expression that you don't like.

So he needs to warm up like an old diesel motor?  Plays bad early,   heats up late?   I think the  more obvious problem is play calling.  

21 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Not exactly sure that he hasn't been called on it.  I would hope the coaching staff would make him do 50 for every bad decision, lol, but if that's what it takes I'm for it.  Different people get motivated and increase output in different ways.  That's for sure.

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Not exactly sure that he hasn't been called on it.  I would hope the coaching staff would make him do 50 for every bad decision, lol, but if that's what it takes I'm for it.  Different people get motivated and increase output in different ways.  That's for sure.

This isn't little league