Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay appreciation thread

azcolt

32 minutes ago, azcolt said:

While I do believe the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree and Johnny Unitas was right about the devil being named Bob Irsay, it does seem like there should be at least one thread to praise the Irsay name. So here it is. I'll now be heading back to the 50 girly man threads calling for little Jimmy's prematurely wrinkled head.

This should be a short topic.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

While I do believe the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree and Johnny Unitas was right about the devil being named Bob Irsay, it does seem like there should be at least one thread to praise the Irsay name. So here it is. I'll now be heading back to the 50 girly man threads calling for little Jimmy's prematurely wrinkled head.

I actually like Irsay as an owner, even though I don't agree with retaining Pagano.  But this is an odd post, you call this an Irsay "appreciation" thread, when most of your post insults him.  Then you call out all of the posters who don't like keeping the status quo.  This feels less like an appreciation post and more like a call out and troll post.   

It's either that or I am not sensing the sarcasm, which is pretty difficult on the internet. 

He's got his problems, but I think he wants to win.  I'm just not sure he knows the best way to get there and is as confused as the whole of this board is.  There are so many opinions about what to do, who to hire, whether to stay with what he has, etc.  I think it's wearing on him.

8 hours ago, twfish said:

The man loves football and cares about his team. And his name isn't Jerry Jones so that's always a huge positive. He has foresight for the most part and he doesn't meddle with the players as much like some other owners.

Maybe but it is still an awful decision to keep loser 1 and 2 in charge.

Old man Irsay gave Indy lots of cash. Jim Irsay gave us the "Franchise" we as Colts fans know today. He's human, and chases ghosts like many of us(don't hate on someone, just because they sin differently than you), but never doubt his drive in making the Colts as great as possible. He's propped/prepped his daughters up to be prepared to take the reigns for the future, making sure they have the tools to take the franchise forward. He's been a great steward of this team IMO. 

A lot of respect for Jim Irsay. Makes tough decisions, not the popular ones. He knows more about running a football organization than everyone here combined will ever know. He is an owner that has always wanted to win (not just make money).  His decisions, while maybe not what the fans and media would have decided, I believe are based solely on making the Colts great. I am looking forward to a great offense season of free agency and draft and a winning 2017. Love this team and where we are going!

16 minutes ago, Lef said:

A lot of respect for Jim Irsay. Makes tough decisions, not the popular ones. He knows more about running a football organization than everyone here combined will ever know. He is an owner that has always wanted to win (not just make money).  His decisions, while maybe not what the fans and media would have decided, I believe are based solely on making the Colts great. I am looking forward to a great offense season of free agency and draft and a winning 2017. Love this team and where we are going!

Of course the owner knows more than us. Does Irsay know more than the other 31 owners though? He isn't competing against us, he's competing against them and their teams. Right now, he's seemed to pick the wrong coach and GM, and fallen behind. He's also not changing strategies, which makes me think he doesn't know more than other owners.

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Of course the owner knows more than us. Does Irsay know more than the other 31 owners though? He isn't competing against us, he's competing against them and their teams. Right now, he's seemed to pick the wrong coach and GM, and fallen behind. He's also not changing strategies, which makes me think he doesn't know more than other owners.

His team has been more successful than most over the last twenty years

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

I appreciate it when an owner acknowledges the fans questions when it comes to literally everyone questioning if staff is retained or not. But it's nice feeling like we are an ends to a means. $$$$$$

What owners do that??

Just now, jvan1973 said:

His team has been more successful than most over the last twenty years

I'm not going to get into a huge argument over this, but we both know he's had a franchise QB all twenty. Yes, you take what is given to you, but with Manning and Luck, the results are pretty status quo, and a bit underwhelming with 1 SB.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not going to get into a huge argument over this, but we both know he's had a franchise QB all twenty. Yes, you take what is given to you, but with Manning and Luck, the results are pretty status quo, and a bit underwhelming with 1 SB.

How many did Dan marino have??

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's one example. How many did Brady have? How many did Aikman have? How many did Bradshaw, Eli, and Ben have? How many did Montana have? In 20 years, we didn't and still haven't built a good defense for either of these guys. That's why Irsay is behind a lot of owners. He squandered a rare opportunity with Manning, and the same is happening with Luck. The reason I'm so upset about Pagano staying is it is squandering another year and it's another mistake.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's one example. How many did Brady have? How many did Aikman have? How many did Bradshaw, Eli, and Ben have? How many did Montana have? In 20 years, we didn't and still haven't built a good defense for either of these guys. That's why Irsay is behind a lot of owners. He squandered a rare opportunity with Manning, and the same is happening with Luck. The reason I'm so upset about Pagano staying is it is squandering another year and it's another mistake.

Bradshaw was not an elite qb.  

Also,  there is no way of knowing what the future holds.   Why upset yourself over a situation of which you have no control.   Hope for the best is all we can really do

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Bradshaw was not an elite qb.  

Also,  there is no way of knowing what the future holds.   Why upset yourself over a situation of which you have no control.   Hope for the best is all we can really do

I know, but he had an elite defense drafted around him which covered his weaknesses, and Noll and the Steelers made it work. I'm a control freak, if I lose at something, I figure out why and make it better. Seeing how the team is regressing and not being able to change it burns a hole in me. When you have bipolar, it just adds fuel to the fire. I'm not used to relying on "faith" and hoping things improve. I usually just change things that are wrong. Also it's the first time we've really struggled since I've been a fan since 98, so it's a huge test to me. I have the internet now where nothing is hidden. Just tough for me as a spoiled fan.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Marino is the greatest of all time, but never had a team around him..He is an exception to the rule..How many do you think Marino would have had if he had played for Bill Walsh and the 49ers?? How many hall of famers did Marino play with? Manning had Harrison, James, Freeney, Mathis, Wayne all who will be hall of famers or close to it, and many other great players like Saturday, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark ect...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Marino is the greatest of all time, but never had a team around him..He is an exception to the rule..How many do you think Marino would have had if he had played for Bill Walsh and the 49ers?? How many hall of famers did Marino play with? Manning had Harrison, James, Freeney, Mathis, Wayne all who will be hall of famers or close to it, and many other great players like Saturday, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark ect...

So you think Don Shula was a bad coach??  

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He does some pretty cool things for fans.  

I'll give him that. As someone who's actually had a 2 minute conversation with him he is a cool regular seeming dude.

I wouldn't have an appreciation thread for him though..

Just now, jvan1973 said:

So you think Don Shula was a bad coach??  

No Shula was a great coach..They were always good with Marino but didn't have the players..Marino made Clayton and Duper,  you wouldn't know their name if not for Marino...I think the game started to pass Shula by in the end though. ..

I don't know if NFL teams win or lose because of their owners....

You put good, experienced people in charge and go from there.

I dont know how Green Bay works ownership wise...but they have good people in charge and good players

No franchise deserves to win a title....KC has great ownership..but they haven't won decades

the owner at Atlanta seems to be a great guy...no titles.

I dont connect the owner with winning. I like Mr. Irsay. I like his family being in the business. I like the fact that he outwardly cares. He sends messages to the fans.

I have no idea what he's really like but I know he wants the Colts to win and that's all I need to know

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

So, you think Irsay wasn't the problem, and Peyton was.

That's what I'm getting out of this.

Nothing to do with Irsay at all..Another poster tried to use Marino as an example which was a horrible example...I am fine with Irsay he is a top 5 owner who does actually know the game and wants to win...I disagree with his choice of Pagano, but I know he wants to win and is willing to cut the checks to win, all you can ask for..I do think Irsay prefers more passive nice guy players coaches which Im not sure is right,  but besides that I think we are lucky to have him compared to a lot of owners..

18 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, you think Irsay wasn't the problem, and Peyton was.

That's what I'm getting out of this.

Coach has been are problem. ..Dungy was good , but nothing great, I feel like we could've done much more that era postseason wise, and I know we can do way better than Pagano...