Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i say he gives them 2017 to right the ship. My reasoning is this 

1. first year with all the new coordinators and assistants.

2. the injuries we had this year

3. had we not shot ourselves in the foot early in the season we probably would have got say 10 wins and in the playoffs.

There has to be player accountability but its not Chucks fault if guys drop passes. There needs to be better execution simply because this is the NFL. We have seen spurts of what this team CAN do with the talent and coaching we have. It is just a matter of how to get them to get their heads out of their butts and do it on a regular basis. Should be next man up mentality every week and guys should know that if they dont produce then they will sit, because for every for every guy out there theres always atleast 2 more waiting for the opportunity.. 

Reporters sitting outside the Colts complex tonight be like "we're live at the Colts complex right now, where the last janitor went home about 3 and a half hours ago, but we're gonna stay on scene to bring you the breaking news as we get it so stay tuned as that starts to come in."

What a bunch of *s.

8 hours ago, presto123 said:

Irsay not going to make changes until the attendance starts dropping off dramatically? I believe that happens next season if changes are not made. People can only be patient for so long. We've been hearing about this "monster" thing for a long time now.

Really?

Three straight years of winning and advancing in the playoffs wasn't enough?

People have lost patience after two years of 8-8 and one of those without Andrew Luck for half the season?

Really?       Seriously?

If any of that is true,  then this fan base if much worse than I thought.

I think this team deserves a much better, much more loyal fan base......   if you're right,  then this fan base has no idea how good they have it.       None.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?

People have lost patience after two years of 8-8 and one of those without Andrew Luck for half the season?

Really?       Seriously?

I think this team deserves a much better, much more loyal fan base......   if you're right,  then this fan base has no idea how good they have it.       None.

He's referring to the "monster defense", and he's right that we haven't had a decent defense in 5 years since Pagano and Grigson have come. You can still have a decent record with a trash defense.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?

Really?       Seriously?

If we had Blaine Gabbert at QB it would be different..Fans frustration is from knowing we should have won more than 1 Super Bowl with Manning, and Luck is entering his prime and we don't want it to go to waste because of a coach..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If we had Blaine Gabbert at QB it would be different..Fans frustration is from knowing we should have won more than 1 Super Bowl with Manning, and Luck is entering his prime and we don't want it to go to waste because of a coach..

An even more realistic example is if we drafted RGIII instead and were in a rebuild now. We have Andrew Luck though, and understandably, the fan base has high expectations. If we were competing with teams like KC and Pitt and sometimes beating them while struggling against NE still, I wouldn't be calling for Pagano's head. It would just be a talent issue that we can't get over the hump yet. We have regressed though, and it's 5 years into Luck's career that have been wasted. Something need to be done.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's referring to the "monster defense", and he's right that we haven't had a decent defense in 5 years since Pagano and Grigson have come. You can still have a decent record with a trash defense.

I understand that.    Hey,  I want the defense too.    I've been banging the drum for three years for defense.

But if the fan base is losing patience with all the success we've had,   then I'm flabbergasted....    What people view as struggling here and now,  other franchises would consider it great success....

Posters here talking about a discontented fan base.    People not showing up for games.     Maybe not renewing their tickets.

Fans here should think of themselves as lucky and fortunate.     It sure sounds like they don't.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that.    Hey,  I want the defense too.    I've been banging the drum for three years for defense.

But if the fan base is losing patience with all the success we've had,   then I'm flabbergasted....    What people view as struggling here and now,  other franchises would consider it great success....

Posters here talking about a discontented fan base.    People not showing up for games.     Maybe not renewing their tickets.

Fans here should think of themselves as lucky and fortunate.     It sure sounds like they don't.

We should be improving, but we are regressing...Not hard to figure out why fans aren't happy with Pagano..

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been a fan longer than some here, so I was able to experience a SB win and loss with Manning, and I also live in Colorado, so I went to some games with Manning in my home state and experienced two more SBs. I'm spoiled, I'll admit it. The only problem I have is the fact that this team isn't really in much better shape 5 years later than when we started with Luck. The only difference is Luck is 5 years older now. Understandably, a lot of us are upset.

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Good post,  thank you.

I appreciate that perspective.     But as I've tried to state,  this game is so hard.    Winning year after year is the hardest thing to do in pro sports.  especially in football where windows can change the fortune of a franchise just like THAT!        One moment you've got a real chance,  the next moment,  you're the Oakland Raiders who lost Derek Carr.       Stuff happens.

Denver and Carolina make the Super Bowl last year and this year neither makes it back and Carolina is not even 500.      This league is HARD!       Stuff happens.

One moment you're Minnesota and 5-0 and everyone calls you the Super Bowl favorite,  and then WHAM!   Stuff happens and they're not making the post season.

One moment you're Arizona and people call you the NFC Super Bowl front runner,  and the next,  you're sub-500.       Stuff happens.      This league is HARD.

There are so many examples......

I'm still convinced there are better days ahead......     I may be wrong,  but I really do believe it.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?

Really?       Seriously?

It's ridiculous!  I remember when I was growing up the two teams outside of the Detroit Lions that were consistently terrible were the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots.  Those were the most awful teams in the entire NFL.  At that time we were talking 5-6 wins or less on an annual basis.  Some people are acting like we are back in those times.  We should certainly want to have the Peyton days or better, but lets not act like the team is just trash.  We are not that far away. 

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We should be improving, but we are regressing...Not hard to figure out why fans aren't happy with Pagano..

We are regressing because the Roster is regressing.    Irsay,  Grigson, and Pagano made a commitment a year ago to get younger.      There were always going to be growing pains that came with that.    

Nagano may never be a great coach,  but he's a good coach.    He's shown he can win.     But he needs more talent.      Especially with the other three teams in our division acquiring more and more talent.     Talent is everything.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've been a fan longer than some here, so I was able to experience a SB win and loss with Manning, and I also live in Colorado, so I went to some games with Manning in my home state and experienced two more SBs. I'm spoiled, I'll admit it. The only problem I have is the fact that this team isn't really in much better shape 5 years later than when we started with Luck. The only difference is Luck is 5 years older now. Understandably, a lot of us are upset.

Thank you.

I've been saying that for a year now and some posters keep insisting we have far more talent and are close to going to a Super Bowl.      I don't see what they see and I'm very confident in my eye sight.

At least I know you're seeing what I'm seeing when it comes to the roster....

We may disagree elsewhere and that's OK.....   but at least you're seeing the roster as I do....

Wish more people here did....

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's ridiculous!  I remember when I was growing up the two teams outside of the Detroit Lions that were consistently terrible were the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots.  Those were the most awful teams in the entire NFL.  At that time we were talking 5-6 wins or less on an annual basis.  Some people are acting like we are back in those times.  We should certainly want to have the Peyton days or better, but lets not act like the team is just trash.  We are not that far away. 

If we keep Pagano, we are probably 3 seasons away from reaching the SB. It'll take that many drafts to hit on enough defensive players to cover up Pagano's deficiencies, and give us enough solid players (2 or 3 from each draft), to carry us past the elite offenses. By then, Brady will be about gone, Ben will have regressed some, and Luck will be close to the end of his 2nd contract.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure you are understanding why a lot of us are frustrated. It's the fact that Indy has a franchise star at QB and should be progressing in year 5 of this regime instead of regressing as they have lately. Having a star like Luck in a horrible division should net us division titles if this team was properly built and instead we can't even win that. We're allowing a team QB'd by Brock Osweiler and minus their star player in Watt to surpass the Colts which is pathetic in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we keep Pagano, we are probably 3 seasons away from reaching the SB. It'll take that many drafts to hit on enough defensive players to cover up Pagano's deficiencies, and give us enough solid players (2 or 3 from each draft), to carry us past the elite offenses. By then, Brady will be about gone, Ben will have regressed some, and Luck will be close to the end of his 2nd contract.

I'm not even thinking that far.  I'm thinking we'll know everything we need to know by the end of 2017. I'm expecting the playoffs very much so. If it don't happen then I want him gone.  I think he's a good enough coach to be a winner next year.  He's beaten enough quality coaches over his tenure for me to expect that.  The guy has beaten both Harbaughs, Pete Carrol, Mcarthy.

Kubiak was just in the Super Bowl and Kubiak could only beat Pagano one time over the course of some years when he was here. John Fox has been in the Super Bowl twice and Pagano has beaten him more times than he's won over Chuck.  Chucks had enough wins to say he's good enough to play ball.  I know he's just as good as Del Rio because I saw a whole bunch of Del Rio ball when he was in the AFC South.   With this draft I'm expecting better results.  Team will still have some needs but we should be able to field a more talented team next year. 

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm not sure you are understanding why a lot of us are frustrated. It's the fact that Indy has a franchise star at QB and should be progressing in year 5 of this regime instead of regressing as they have lately. Having a star like Luck in a horrible division should net us division titles if this team was properly built and instead we can't even win that. We're allowing a team QB'd by Brock Osweiler and minus their star player in Watt to surpass the Colts which is pathetic in my opinion. 

The success level isn't really much different than the first 5-6 years under Peyton and Polian.  I don't like some of the losses we've taken either, but I'm not going to kid myself and think everything should be identical. Processes are different.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm not even thinking that far.  I'm thinking we'll know everything we need to know by the end of 2017.

I'm expecting the playoffs very much so. If it don't happen then I want him gone.  I think he's a good

enough coach to be a winner next year.  He's beaten enough quality coaches over his tenure for me

to expect that.  The guy has beaten both Harbaughs, Pete Carrol, Mcarthy.  Kubiak was just in the Super Bowl and Kubiak could only beat Pagano one time over the course of some years when he was here. John Fox has been in the Super Bowl twice and Pagano has beaten him more times than he's won over Chuck.  Chucks had enough wins to say he's good enough to play ball.  I know he's just as good as Del Rio because I saw a whole bunch of Del Rio ball when he was in the AFC South.   With this draft I'm expecting better results.  Team will still have some needs but we should be able to field a more talented team next year. 

I've come to terms that we won't win the SB anytime soon, so I'm actually leaning more towards taking Cook if he's BPA in the draft. We have to improve our team somehow, and Cook is a safe pick to me. Lot of pass rushers and defensive lineman in rounds 2-4. I would love to pick up an extra 4th and 7th like last year and get a couple more guys. Something that's reasonable if we take Cook in the 1st. Pagano has beaten some NFC teams and a few AFC teams that are good, but he has yet to beat the Steelers or PATS in 5 years. Raiders are a new problem we'll have to contend with as well as a harder division that padded his winning record now.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

The success level isn't really much different than the first 5-6 years under Peyton and Polian.  I don't like some of the losses we've taken either, but I'm not going to kid myself and think everything should be identical. Processes are different.

The main difference is I don't feel like the team regressed even when Peyton went 6-10 in 2001. It just felt like a down year more than anything and then he did better next year. It feels like regression with this team and the players aren't improved, or worse in some cases,unlike Peyton's Colts, when the team was vastly improved 4-5 years in.

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The main difference is I don't feel like the team regressed even when Peyton went 6-10 in 2001. It just felt like a down year more than anything and then he did better next year. It feels like regression with this team and the players aren't improved, or worse in some cases,unlike Peyton's Colts, when the team was vastly improved 4-5 years in.

Dungy always talked about perception vs reality.  We'll see which one is right. 

I don't really recall that team beginning to turn a corner until we drafted Marlin Jackson and all those boys right off the heals of that 20-3 loss to New England in the playoffs.  Offense was good in 2004, and the D was coming around but still needing a few parts.  We had Bob Sanders, Jason David in 2004, then we drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden in the 2005 draft and you could tell we were better.  I specifically remember a preseason game when they came out laying licks on people.  Then everything came together in 2006 when we drafted Antoine Bethea.  Good drafting can change things.  I just think we need to knock this draft and FA period out. Get some young playmakers in here and it will be a bit more stable. OL is headed in the right direction. Make this D at least a respectable unit in 2017 and we should most certainly expect to be in the tournament at a minimum.

28 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

First,  the division is just not as bad as some think.     They're stuck in 2-4 years ago.

Second,  the fact that Houston can win with Osweiler as QB and no JJ Watt proves my point.    That their roster is loaded with talent everywhere else.      With the exception of QB,  anyone would take their roster over ours.   The Texans roster is packed full of talent,  everywhere except the most important position.    Lucky for us.

We're stuck where we are because it's taken us so long to get the offense around Luck right.    Too long.   And so now,  we're just beginning to start building a defense.   

I get the frustration,  I just want the fan base to keep packing Lucas Oil.     I still think Luck is one of the most enjoyable players to watch perform in my 50 years of football fandom.      Does he still make bonehead mistakes?    Yeah,  I regret so.    But he's still so fun to watch and cheer for.     He makes being a fan --- fun!

I hope if we're all patient, the team will reward them for that.......

17 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's perfectly fine for a fanbase to have standards and high expectations.  I would much rather have that than acceptance of mediocrity.

Like Pagano said, it comes with the territory when you inherit a team that had the success the Colts did for so long. Pagano was also right when he said much of it is on him. Back to back 8-8 seasons inside a pathetic division with a generation QB  is not going to cut it and is a fireable offense period. Luck isn't getting any younger.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Peyton wouldn't be winning 12 games every year with this talent and coaching staff.  

You don't think Peyton would have beat the Texans twice.    The Lions the first game and the Jags??????  That's 12 wins.   You're nut to think otherwise   To think he wouldn't have told Pags and Chud the play calling and time management  was stupid..... is stupid 

To think this was on the talent that lost the division  all you need to do is look at the Lions Texans 2 x and the 1st jags game to know the division was within reach.      Pags has completely under coached this team.

win the SB???  Need some talent.    But the immediate is on Pags 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

they also realized they needed to change to a coach that could better develop the team and QB midway through that 5-6 years.....

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

You don't think Peyton would have beat the Texans twice.    The Lions the first game and the Jags??????  That's 12 wins.   You're nut to think otherwise   To think he wouldn't have told Pags and Chud the play calling and time management  was stupid..... is stupid 

You missed the part where I said every year.....stupid.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

To think this was on the talent that lost the division  all you need to do is look at the Lions Texans 2 x and the 1st jags game to know the division was within reach.      Pags has completely under coached this team.

win the SB???  Need some talent.    But the immediate is on Pags 

I still can't believe the team that's representing our division has a benched starting QB with an injured defensive MVP on IR. That about sums up how much of a failure our team is that we couldn't capitalize on this.

7 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Ya, we have an owner that gets it.  If we do something it will be well done.  This staff will take us to the playoffs next year regardless....and he knows that.  

Irsay also knows we'll be maddeningly inconsistent and unable to scheme with the elite...and that will require change in the near future...but we don't need to be impatient prior to the right solution emerging.

The delay is most likely a reflection of the complications of evaluating coach and GM combinations...and the different needs of each.

If he were going to fire Pagano and keep Grigson, then that would have happened already.

if he doesn't clean house, it's totally ridiculous.  the lid was closed on this dumpster fire after the JAGS game (DF2)  That dumpster should be on its way to a landfill, never to be witnessed again.  If Irsay is in New Jersey right now at the landfill digging it back up, shame on him for taking his family, fans, and team back though DF3 for 2017.  I hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This isn't Green Bay, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. Fans arent loyal.This is a bandwagon town. After one lousy season in 11, fans bailed and we were facing blackouts. It's harsh but true. 

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Well unless you want to count last season with an injured Luck which I don't.    Then we are an 11+ win season every yr including this yr. 

Well, Luck also won playoff games early in his career....which manning couldn't do.

4 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

You don't think Peyton would have beat the Texans twice.    The Lions the first game and the Jags??????  That's 12 wins.   You're nut to think otherwise.

The final month of 2006, the year they won the Super Bowl, Peyton lost to both the Texans and Jags.  The two might have combined for 4-5 more wins that year, but talent wise were pretty similar.  Keep in mind, that Colts team was superior to this team at probably every position of offense, with two all world pass rushers and a DPOY in Bob.  

Beyond that, if you are going to make any sort of fair Manning to Luck comparison, you need to compare first five years to first five years - Manning's first five years in which he won more than 10 games once, zero playoff games and threw 33 more INTs than Luck has to the same point.  No, through five years, Manning wasn't this efficient machine racking up 12 wins a year.  

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

if he doesn't clean house, it's totally ridiculous.  the lid was closed on this dumpster fire after the JAGS game (DF2)  That dumpster should be on its way to a landfill, never to be witnessed again.  If Irsay is in New Jersey right now at the landfill digging it back up, shame on him for taking his family, fans, and team back though DF3 for 2017.  I hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

Whoa now....you'll have to litigate all that on your own.