Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week to week in the NFL - Patriots then Colts

DalTXColtsFan

Is there any logical reason that the Pats, widely regarded as the best team in the AFC if not the NFL, can show up in East Rutherford and actually be TRAILING the Jets 17-13 with I believe only 5 minutes to go, but then a team like the Colts, widely believed to be a team with no defense and no O-Line can go in there and just thrash them?

I know in the end a win is a win, but you gotta figure that the Pats were trying to score as much as they could the first 3 quarters and were just actually getting stopped.

Why such a dramatic difference from one week to the next?

The Patriots aren't as good as perceived.

The Colts are fickle, but getting better, and hopefully more consistent.

The Jets were UP for a divisional game, and hated rival.

Then there's the whole match up thing.....

Besides, this isn't for us fans to figure out.

It's simply for our enjoyment.

11 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Is there any logical reason that the Pats, widely regarded as the best team in the AFC if not the NFL, can show up in East Rutherford and actually be TRAILING the Jets 17-13 with I believe only 5 minutes to go, but then a team like the Colts, widely believed to be a team with no defense and no O-Line can go in there and just thrash them?

I know in the end a win is a win, but you gotta figure that the Pats were trying to score as much as they could the first 3 quarters and were just actually getting stopped.

There is no logic to it. The Jets and Patriots have usually had close games; maybe because of division rivalry? The NFL doesn't always make sense.

25 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Like how they blew the Texans out with a back up qb and we lost to the Texans. 

Plus the pats have won 5 or 6 straight against luck and only 1 game was less than a 2 TD lead

27 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

And the jets gave up. We had guys open all day

The NFL (and most pro sports, I find) is impossible to predict.  That's why people like to say "any given Sunday".  There are a million factors that go into the outcome of each game.  How practice went that week, injuries during the week or in the game, player motivation, etc.  Division games are usually tougher too, so the Colts and Jags might have a close game, but the following week, the Jags could get blown out to a team the Colts easily beat.

33 minutes ago, buccolts said:

The Patriots aren't as good as perceived.

The Colts are fickle, but getting better, and hopefully more consistent.

The Jets were UP for a divisional game, and hated rival.

Then there's the whole match up thing.....

I agree. I was looking at New England's record the other day just out of curiosity, and I was surprised that they've only beaten 1 team with an above .500 record, and it was the Steelers without Roethlisberger. One thing's for sure though, if you don't have a VERY good defense, Brady will march up and down the field with relative ease.

The Jets always play the Patriots tough. They never let up against them. I personally think the Jets just sort of gave up mentally and didn't play with any fire. They felt defeated going into the game. It doesn't help that they have a bad veteran QB and one that's still learning the ropes.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

It's called match ups.  Tell me how many guys on the Patriots does Revis have to give 10 yards cushion?  Tell me how many weapons do the Pats have (minus Gronk) vs the Colts (totally healthy offensive weapon wise on Monday)?

Oh and the Jets still had hope last week.  But honestly it all has to do with match ups most of the time.  Just like how the Colts seem to historically match up well vs Broncos but poor vs Pats, yet Pats always match up poor vs Broncos.  Go figure.

3 minutes ago, tikyle said:

It's called match ups.  Tell me how many guys on the Patriots does Revis have to give 10 yards cushion?  Tell me how many weapons do the Pats have (minus Gronk) vs the Colts (totally healthy offensive weapon wise on Monday)?

Oh and the Jets still had hope last week.  But honestly it all has to do with match ups most of the time.  Just like how the Colts seem to historically match up well vs Broncos but poor vs Pats, yet Pats always match up poor vs Broncos.  Go figure.

That was much less about match ups than it was about the Jets caring the week before and not so much against Indy.  They phoned it in.

36 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Revis sucks this year that's why he gives 10 yard cushions. If this was the same jets from last year then the jets would of won

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree. I was looking at New England's record the other day just out of curiosity, and I was surprised that they've only beaten 1 team with an above .500 record, and it was the Steelers without Roethlisberger. One thing's for sure though, if you don't have a VERY good defense, Brady will march up and down the field with relative ease.

They beat Mia 

Like what's been mentioned already, the Jets play the Pats pretty tough most of the time. Strange, I know, how they can be so close to new england in their games at MetLife, but get smoked by us or other teams who aren't considered as good as New England. I was going crazy when Dwayne Allen got 3 TDs. Good stuff. Don't care how it happened lol. I bet Todd Bowles was livid in the locker room though. 

It's divisional. The Jets often show up once a year for the Patriots big time. However, the Pats are not as good as many thought earlier this season and the Colts still deserve credit for wiping the floor with someone, anyone......

It's like the Jags show up for us big once a year too. I mean once a year they show up with a buffet table, dancers, a parade, God and stimulants to beat the Colts.