Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just for the sake of discussion

DalTXColtsFan

Because when it all comes down to it that's what these message boards are for, right? :).

Let's say, just for the sake of discussion, that after week 17, the following have all happened:

1. The Colts have squeaked into the playoffs

2. The OL of Costanzo/Reitz/Kelly/Good/Haeg started each of the last 5 games

3. Hilton, Davis, Robinson, Geathers, Mathis and Ridgeway are all 100% healthy

4. No more than 1 other key injury to anyone other than Luck

Let's say you're (in the order of opponent likelihood) either the Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins or whatever miracle team other than those that makes the playoffs as a WC and you're coming to Indianapolis for your wild card playoff game (my money's on the Chiefs - let's face it, we're going to be the #4 seed, Oakland is probably going to win the AFC West and KC is going to have a better record than any other WC team).

How confident do you feel, seriously?

Wait to see how the Raiders game plays out to take a stab at that one. The others are all winnable. No really prolific offenses. I think we could even beat Pittsburgh if we played them again, provided that the team learned not to put Brown 1 on 1.  Probably wouldn't beat the Patriots but they wouldn't be a first round matchup anyways. 

37 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Because when it all comes down to it that's what these message boards are for, right? :).

Let's say, just for the sake of discussion, that after week 17, the following have all happened:

Let's say you're (in the order of opponent likelihood) either the Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins or whatever miracle team other than those that makes the playoffs as a WC and you're coming to Indianapolis for your wild card playoff game (my money's on the Chiefs - let's face it, we're going to be the #4 seed, Oakland is probably going to win the AFC West and KC is going to have a better record than any other WC team).

Personally, not very confident.  But what is the point?

Also is Mewhort injured?  Why do you not have him in the starting lineup?

I like Haeg quite a bit for a rookie but if he's the starting RT for the Colts at any point the line is weaker.  If he starts it needs to be at guard.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I feel good against any of them with #12 at the QB and all or most of our starters in place.   Think we had the wrong game plan against KC, but that's nothing that an adjustment in game planning can't fix.

Krunk, you and I agree on a lot of things Colts related but I don't agree with this at all.  The Chiefs did not blow out the Colts because of game planning, it's because this year the Chiefs are the superior team and just about every position, except maybe QB and WR corps.

8 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

You lost me at adjustment

Sure.  We should  have ran the football a lot more.  We were blowing open holes each time we ran.  Just didn't do it any where near where we should have.   Some of the routes we called didn't fit some of the lack of protection either.  Change in game planning will produce different results unless you are of the mindset that "The Colts Are Just Poor".  No convincing for that thinking.

33 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Krunk, you and I agree on a lot of things Colts related but I don't agree with this at all.  The Chiefs did not blow out the Colts because of game planning, it's because this year the Chiefs are the superior team and just about every position, except maybe QB and WR corps.

Chiefs are the only team that I think would really give them trouble.

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Krunk, you and I agree on a lot of things Colts related but I don't agree with this at all.  The Chiefs did not blow out the Colts because of game planning, it's because this year the Chiefs are the superior team and just about every position, except maybe QB and WR corps.

Sorry we don't agree.   If they are truly superior then you don't lose to a team like Houston and they did.  We can beat that team.

32 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Chiefs are the only team that I think would really give them trouble.

I think it's definitely not an easy game due to some of the matchups issues they present with Kelce, Tyreek Hill and I think even the kid from Georgia at the other WR.  We didn't really do that bad stopping their running game.   Chiefs are a good team no doubt.   Better than I thought they were coming in to our match up.   As bad as we played that day we were still in the ball game at half time.   I just think we had a bad game plan in that one overall.  Too much pressure put on our suspect tackles.  I somewhat understood where Chud was coming from because coming in to that game the Chiefs were not putting a lot of pressure on the QB.  However once you see that the Stats didn't measure up with what actually happened in the game you have to adjust the game plan and I don't think we did very well in that area offensively speaking.  I just feel we have the personnel to compete with anybody as far as our offense goes.   Some games however will demand more than just good personnel.  You need good game plans and good adjustments that pop up during the course of the game.   I thought we were poor in that aspect against the Chiefs and poor in terms of execution.  

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's definitely not an easy game due to some of the matchups issues they present with Kelce, Tyreek Hill and I think even the kid from Georgia at the other WR.  We didn't really do that bad stopping their running game.   Chiefs are a good team no doubt.   Better than I thought they were coming in to our match up.   As bad as we played that day we were still in the ball game at half time.   I just think we had a bad game plan in that one overall.  Too much pressure put on our suspect tackles.  I somewhat understood where Chud was coming from because coming in to that game the Chiefs were not putting a lot of pressure on the QB.  However once you see that the Stats didn't measure up with what actually happened in the game you have to adjust the game plan and I don't think we did very well in that area offensively speaking.  I just feel we have the personnel to compete with anybody as far as our offense goes.   Some games however will demand more than just good personnel.  You need good game plans and good adjustments that pop up during the course of the game.   I thought we were poor in that aspect against the Chiefs and poor in terms of execution.  

They got Houston back which means more pressure now

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Sure.  We should  have ran the football a lot more.  We were blowing open holes each time we ran.  Just didn't do it any where near where we should have.   Some of the routes we called didn't fit some of the lack of protection either.  Change in game planning will produce different results unless you are of the mindset that "The Colts Are Just Poor".  No convincing for that thinking.

Yes I think they are a horribly coached team.  I have not seen Chud adjust to anything with Luck in the lineup

2 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I assume you meant Mewhort.  Anyway if they all started all of the remaining games and Luck is still 100%, you can assume the protection improved.  That alone would give me a lot of confidence that they could beat any of those teams.

And if they won all five games to get in (which would have included beating the Raiders), I'd be confident they could make a push deep into the PO.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I agree with this. The offense can hang with anybody in the league, and without a defense, against the patriots, the offense has to play perfect football. I see us being able to beat anyone in the playoffs that will be there up until NE. And pagano just is a scared little puppy in the presence of. So luck can play perfect ball but the offense won't be ready. Tonight will go a long way to show whether or not pags deserves to keep coaching the colts. This is his second chance to take control of the division. 

55 minutes ago, runthepost said:

We play the chiefs then we will lose. Peters will shut down TY then you have AC vs Houston which is a bad matchup. 

Peters can't shut ty down it was the  game plan on our end which set us up to be the Chiefs defense go deep on them especially PETERS  he bites on the double move like no other...and on defense its a bad matchup on our end cuz Kelce can beat all our safeties and linebackers and hill for some reason can't be tackled by anyone lol I'd put vontae on Kelce the entire game and. Double hill  the others aren't a threat and spy on Alex smith 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Sorry we don't agree.   If they are truly superior then you don't lose to a team like Houston and they did.  We can beat that team.

That really doesn't make a lot of sense.  Especially since the Colts lost to a team like Houston and a team like Jax 

The Colts can beat them, just like any team CAN beat any other team... any given Sunday and all.  But that doesn't mean it's likely, the Colts would have play a near perfect game in every phase to have a chance.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That really doesn't make a lot of sense.  Especially since the Colts lost to a team like Houston and a team like Jax 

The Colts can beat them, just like any team CAN beat any other team... any given Sunday and all.  But that doesn't mean it's likely, the Colts would have play a near perfect game in every phase to have a chance.

I don't think they would need to play near perfect.  It's not like they are an offensive juggernaut.   Really good defensive team that can capitalize on you if you're sloppy.  That game was close at the half.    I don't think it would take a miracle or completely flawless performance to win that game.   Certainly couldn't play sloppy football.   Personally I think a better offensive perfomance is what we needed. I believe we were capable of doing so. I don't believe we made the proper adjustments to achieve that.

4 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

It honestly depends which Colts team shows up. I have confidence that the group that went to Green Bay and handled business could beat most of the AFC playoff teams, but the Colts team that lost to Jacksonville in London... they're not beating anybody.

I think if you do the necessary things that need to be done to give Luck time to work in that KC game you get a different result.   For starters you don't consistently leave those tackles on an island like they did.  Max protect, chip blocks etc.      Change up some of the route combinations that are being run.  Go more with the ground game.

Well as of now, not that confident.

But in your scenario, which involves not only winning 5 in a row, but also having a 100 % healthy Luck and a much more healthy defense, yeah, i'll take Indy's chances. And I'm sure a lot of media people will think the same. A team on a 5 game win streak with one of the top quarterbacks in the league hosting a playoff game? Yeah that sounds good.

Not sure if it's plausible though. But hey, hypothetical's are still fun.

I feel pretty good against the Chiefs, Broncos even. Both have QB's who are solid game managers which is certainly good to have. No disrespect to them but if either gets jumped on early and often they have not shown the ability to keep up and put their team on their back.

Both teams obviously have great defenses however unless those defenses are going to put points on the board then we will be right there in the end to win

Raiders are more dangerous than either Broncos or Chiefs

14 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I feel pretty good against the Chiefs, Broncos even. Both have QB's who are solid game managers which is certainly good to have. No disrespect to them but if either gets jumped on early and often they have not shown the ability to keep up and put their team on their back.

Both teams obviously have great defenses however unless those defenses are going to put points on the board then we will be right there in the end to win

Raiders are more dangerous than either Broncos or Chiefs

Alex smith has 3 comeback victories this year and 2 were on the road... so he can comeback

I would have absolutely no problem facing Baltimore if we drew that card in the playoffs.  Assuming we made it of course.  Chiefs are a harder draw but doable.  We usually always face somebody from either the West or the AFC North every single time.

FWIW there's a good chance the Colts squeak into the playoffs without winning out.  I think that if they beat Houston, Jacksonville and Minnesota that will be enough to get in at 9-7.  If they're at least competitive against Oakland in Oakland I'll feel good they can beat KC or Denver (or whatever unexpected team gets the #5 seed) at home.  If they beat Oakland in Oakland that's a sign they can beat any AFC team except possibly New England.

If they don't beat Houston, Jacksonville or Minnesota and still somehow squeak in I'll be expecting a first-round exit.  Or if they win those three but get blown out by Oakland I won't feel good.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, DalTXColtsFan said:

There are 2 kinds of NFL teams.

Ones that make the playoffs...and the others (read: losers)

I would be somewhat confident playing the Raiders, less so facing Denver or KC.

But the home game is the key.

If healthy, we can beat anyone in the NFL in Indy

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

There are 2 kinds of NFL teams.

Ones that make the playoffs...and the others (read: losers)

I would be somewhat confident playing the Raiders, less so facing Denver or KC.

But the home game is the key.

If healthy, we can beat anyone in the NFL in Indy

A season can be up and down that is why I preach patience, it's a marathon and not a sprint. If a team gets hot in December and stays healthy that makes them dangerous. I really have never given up on the Colts because there are so many games and we are in a Bad Division + we have Andrew Luck and the other 3 teams don't. Regarding the Playoffs if we get in, we play at home as well. That will make us a tough out to start things. I will say this, record wise our Division isn't the worst, the AFC North is actually worse. I know the Browns are 0-12 but the Jags are 2-10 so the Browns don't skew it that much. The AFC South is a combined 20-28, AFC North is 18-29-1.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A season can be up and down that is why I preach patience, it's a marathon and not a sprint. If a team gets hot in December and stays healthy that makes them dangerous. I really have never given up on the Colts because there are so many games and we are in a Bad Division + we have Andrew Luck and the other 3 teams don't. Regarding the Playoffs if we get in, we play at home as well. That will make us a tough out to start things. I will say this, record wise our Division isn't the worst, the AFC North is actually worse. I know the Browns are 0-12 but the Jags are 2-10 so the Browns don't skew it that much. The AFC South is a combined 20-28, AFC North is 18-29-1.

Bengals would probably have a better record if injuries did not kill them. Same with Pitt 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Bengals would probably have a better record if injuries did not kill them. Same with Pitt 

The NFC West is also 18-28-2, so record wise there are 2 Divisions that are worse than ours. I wonder why the media never mentions why Seattle is getting a free ride to the Playoffs but a lot of people always say we have a free ride?? I just question things like that. The NFC West has 2 garbage teams in it = 49ers and Rams and the Cards are mediocre this season. If the Cards played at Tennessee I think Tennessee would probably beat them. You mention injuries but don't you think the Texans would have a better record had JJ Watt not got injured? He is the best Defensive force in the league. Also the Colts have had numerous injuries on Defense all season and Moncrief was out for a month, Luck even missed a game.

New England without Gronk is not the same team. I like our chances against them and any other AFC team. If we're ever gonna beat the Pats, this year would be the time when they're without their most dynamic player...  Now, that's all depending on us playing a solid and complete game. I personally feel the AFC is wide open this year and expect someone other than Denver or NE to be in the Super Bowl. Why not us?  

I think it's super tough to tell with this team.  They could just as easily be 2-10 or 9-3 right now.  Instead they are in the middle and it's so tough to say which team will show up, how healthy they will be, etc.  The Jets quit on MNF so I don't really know how good that win was.  We didn't have Andy against the Steelers yet could have scored twice near the goal line without him to make that a close game.  I WOULD say we will find out more against Houston but they are sliding and we SHOULD have beaten them the first time.  So would that win really be all that surprising?  Same with the Vikings, they are on a slide as well.  The Jags suck too.  So the only game I think we will find out how good they are is in Oakland.  If they can hang with them, maybe not win, but give them a game, and win the rest of their games, then we'll know they are getting better and have a legit shot.  If not, then none of this really matters IMHO.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NFC West is also 18-28-2, so record wise there are 2 Divisions that are worse than ours. I wonder why the media never mentions why Seattle is getting a free ride to the Playoffs but a lot of people always say we have a free ride?? I just question things like that. The NFC West has 2 garbage teams in it = 49ers and Rams and the Cards are mediocre this season. If the Cards played at Tennessee I think Tennessee would probably beat them. You mention injuries but don't you think the Texans would have a better record had JJ Watt not got injured? He is the best Defensive force in the league. Also the Colts have had numerous injuries on Defense all season and Moncrief was out for a month, Luck even missed a game.

It's been a weird year. 

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

New England without Gronk is not the same team. I like our chances against them and any other AFC team. If we're ever gonna beat the Pats, this year would be the time when they're without their most dynamic player...  Now, that's all depending on us playing a solid and complete game. I personally feel the AFC is wide open this year and expect someone other than Denver or NE to be in the Super Bowl. Why not us?  

They still got Bennett and he's been pretty good

Basically here's how I see it. We had a nice game vs the Jets, the offense looked very good. The defense was solid against a terrible offense. This basically gives us the right to face the Raiders IMO. We get that opportunity before the playoffs start now. We can score vs the Raiders, we'll probably put up 24-27 points honestly. The question is, can our defense do anything vs them? The answer is no. They have an incredible o-line, a top QB, and good wrs. It'll be a shootout where we rely on our defense to do their part, and I don't trust them vs quality opponents yet. They have the chance to prove me wrong though. I'll withhold judgment until we face the Raiders in the regular season. Broncos QB play is pretty bad, Chiefs will be a problem, Ravens have looked very strong, I don't believe in the Dolphins at all. Pats and Steelers are probably losses. Anyone with a brain knows the Steelers took it easy on us the 2nd half, and Big Ben's pass attempts back that up. 

When we do something out of the ordinary, I will be the first to praise them. Until then, they are a poorly coached team who beat up on other weak teams and lose to the big boys. The defense needs to step up vs quality opponents, and I don't mean the Jets. I think we reach the playoffs. D'Qwell Jackson will be back, and barring a major injury, there will be no excuses regardless of how they play. The defense will either cause us to lose or push us over the hump. I know Luck will do his job.