Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time to get serious and RETURN to glory...

bluephantom87

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great Post, I have been a fan for 32 years but who cares haha Nobody is pleased with 8-8 but it happens from time to time unfortunately.

You are right yes, but I think a lot of this, dire feeling, is that of having a legitimate franchise QB. Colts fans haven't felt what it's like to not have that in quite a while, and I'm not going to lie, I don't want to lose that feeling either. Either way both grigson and luck are on a time limit to win multiple SBs like everyone's dream is. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

You are right yes, but I think a lot of this, dire feeling, is that of having a legitimate franchise QB. Colts fans haven't felt what it's like to not have that in quite a while, and I'm not going to lie, I don't want to lose that feeling either. Either way both grigson and luck are on a time limit to win multiple SBs like everyone's dream is. 

The one thing that does bother me is we have a QB like Andrew Luck and are still struggling. With him we should automatically win 9 games = a winning a season with any kind of team around him, getting to 9 this season will be close. Last season I understand 8-8 because he missed 9 games.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The one thing that does bother me is we have a QB like Andrew Luck and are still struggling. With him we should automatically win 9 games = a winning a season with any kind of team around him, getting to 9 this season will be close. Last season I understand 8-8 because he missed 9 games.

I can understand the idea behind letting grigson gain experience. If his next draft is a hit I could see argument for keeping him. However my question is, if more quality players are added, are you just covering up coaching error?

5 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I can understand the idea behind letting grigson gain experience. If his next draft is a hit I could see argument for keeping him. However my question is, if more quality players are added, are you just covering up coaching error?

Great question, a lot of Colts fans are very concerned. I am too so I don't knock people for that. I understand it. I just want to give it one more year to see what we do in the Draft again, etc.. If we fail next season too than the people saying Pagano and Grigs stinks can gloat and say another wasted year. I honestly think if we miss the Playoffs and next season he will fire at least one of them, if not both. At that point Andrew will still only be going into season 7.

43 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I am many things on this board, personally I think savant is the most appropriate.  But a troll I am not.

Your entire premise is flawed.  But still the comment that still leaves me giddy is "as a Colts fan for 50 years, I've never settled for less than the best."  That is comedy gold there.  Still really interested in a better explanation of what you did to not settle.

You would build a culture that transcends players and coaches?  Well congrats - you just identified the goal of the entire league.  Must be harder than it seems given how few teams have this sacred culture.

I personally don't recall anyone on the Colts saying they are in a rebuild mode.  But the idea that saying that means accepting of mediocrity is a giant leap to say the least.

Your read on this board is comically wrong as well.  No one is pleased with 8-8 last year and no one is thrilled with how things stand right now.  But you stand with nothing but the best crowd - if you say so.  Whatever the heck that means.  My take on that is you side with the clinically uninformed or spastically reactionary crew that wants change the minute something does not go according to hoyle.  

This is spot on. I think I may use the bolded to describe some of my fellow Vikings fans who also are going off the deep end because we have lost 5 of the last 6 games.

Mike Greenberg of Mike & Mike has a saying, "The first casualty of emotion is reason." I think that applies here.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This is spot on. I think I may use the bolded to describe some of my fellow Vikings fans who also are going off the deep end because we have lost 5 of the last 6 games.

Mike Greenberg of Mike & Mike has a saying, "The first casualty of emotion is reason." I think that applies here.

Yeah JSK's Post was a great one IMO.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody in here is happy with the current state of the Colts, everyone in here hates losing. Having said that, as Colts fans/Football fans it's common sense that we aren't going 12-4 every season and winning the SB every season. We have had tons of success over the last 20 years and have won a SB so big freakin deal if someone like me or some others can tolerate it if we have a mediocre season or 2. It happens to every team on occasion. Cowboys haven't won a SB since 1995, 49ers since 1994. Fans like me are sick of people getting on here and Posting fire this guy, cut that guy - to me that is nonsense. For pete sakes we have been one of the best franchises for over 20 seasons since 1995, so reading that crap gets old.

I appreciate your toleration of a mediocre season or 2 and one Super Bowl since 1970. I look at that and say holy cow that's one SB in 46 years! We just have a difference of opinion, I'm talking about building a culture of winning that is not satisfied with one Superbowl win every half century. There are several teams that have multiple SB trophies and there is no reason we cannot be in that same category. Just remember there are a few of us that feel people satisfied with one Superbowl win every 46 years crap as well.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I appreciate your toleration of a mediocre season or 2 and one Super Bowl since 1970. I look at that and say holy cow that's one SB in 46 years! We just have a difference of opinion, I'm talking about building a culture of winning that is not satisfied with one Superbowl win every half century. There are several teams that have multiple SB trophies and there is no reason we cannot be in that same category. Just remember there are a few of us that feel people satisfied with one Superbowl win every 46 years crap as well.

I respect your point but I have always been more GHFull than GHempty. Meaning being a fan since 1984, I have seen the very bad = as bad as it gets before the Manning days. 1984-1986 was the worst! Also meaning I can switch it around and say we have at least won 1 SB where franchises like the Bills, Eagles, Chargers, Vikings, Panthers, Cardinals would just be in heaven with winning 1! All have been Great franchises over the years but have no SB wins. Bills lost 4 straight 4 SB's from 1990-1993. I just look at the positives more than the negatives and the bottomline is we have been one of the best franchises of all-time in truth regarding overall wins/losses and counting the 1970 SB in Baltimore we have won 2 SB wins actually.

I've been a Colts fan pretty much since I was born in Baltimore in 1954.  FAN is the operative word. I'm not a player, a coach, manager, or owner.  Hence, it matters not to the Colts success what I think or 'tolerate'.  The NFL is entertainment, nothing more.  Follow them- or leave them if you don't like the product.  I'm cheering, thick or thin....

13 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I've been a Colts fan pretty much since I was born in Baltimore in 1954.  FAN is the operative word. I'm not a player, a coach, manager, or owner.  Hence, it matters not to the Colts success what I think or 'tolerate'.  The NFL is entertainment, nothing more.  Follow them- or leave them if you don't like the product.  I'm cheering, thick or thin....

I respect your opinion as you have a couple of years on me being born in 1957 and a Colt fan since I saw the horseshoe on a B&W Colts game in 1964. I've always been a Colt fan living in Tennessee and a true O's baseball fan since I saw the Oriole bird that same year. I do have a different take on football though as I see it as true drama on the field, drama with a scoreboard and a winner and loser and winner takes all. I love my Colts and will always cheer them on win or lose. I don't follow as I suspect many do, I like you are a fan. As far as entertainment goes I'll have to disagree with you as I see it as a sport not entertainment in fact there is too much entertaining going on in football and not enough focus on the winning or losing, otherwise there would be no scoreboard. I'll never leave my Colts and have 3 generations of Colt fans I'm responsible for and I'm disappointed my passion for winning is somehow been construed as nonsense, negative, unreasonable, and intolerable.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I respect your opinion as you have a couple of years on me being born in 1957 and a Colt fan since I saw the horseshoe on a B&W Colts game in 1964. I've always been a Colt fan living in Tennessee and a true O's baseball fan since I saw the Oriole bird that same year. I do have a different take on football though as I see it as true drama on the field, drama with a scoreboard and a winner and loser and winner takes all. I love my Colts and will always cheer them on win or lose. I don't follow as I suspect many do, I like you are a fan. As far as entertainment goes I'll have to disagree with you as I see it as a sport not entertainment in fact there is too much entertaining going on in football and not enough focus on the winning or losing, otherwise there would be no scoreboard. I'll never leave my Colts and have 3 generations of Colt fans I'm responsible for and I'm disappointed my passion for winning is somehow been construed as nonsense, negative, unreasonable, and intolerable.

Your passion for winning isnt intolerable. its how you are marginalizing others for not reacting the way you do. its as simple as that.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know he doesn't get that point for some reason??

It seems he just doesnt want to accept it. people dont like losing, but not everyone carries it with them as long as others do. the superbowl loss, yeah, i pouted a few days and then got over it. but usually, it doesnt take much longer than a good nights rest and a few, "you guys blew this play or that one" in the interim. its a game afterall. 

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It seems he just doesnt want to accept it. people dont like losing, but not everyone carries it with them as long as others do. the superbowl loss, yeah, i pouted a few days and then got over it. but usually, it doesnt take much longer than a good nights rest and a few, "you guys blew this play or that one" in the interim. its a game afterall. 

I know and I know you know me by now by reading my Posts as I hate losing almost more than anyone but medicore seasons happen. It's just how Football is and I am grateful for all the Good/Great seasons we have had and the SB win here in Indy. Our fanbase has had tons to cheer about over the years. Much more than many fanbases.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Your passion for winning isnt intolerable. its how you are marginalizing others for not reacting the way you do. its as simple as that.

If I have marginalized anyone and you guys and ladies are offended I again apologize. I suspect if I were a "Senior Member" I would be treated with a little more respect. So this comical, uninformed, intolerant, nonsensical, unreasonable, clinically irrational, spastically reactionary Colt fan will sign off. I respect the opinions of others, don't seek to attack them but don't have to agree with them. I know there are others out there probably afraid to speak up at the expense of being crucified as well. Go COLTS!!!!

9 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

If I have marginalized anyone and you guys and ladies are offended I again apologize. I suspect if I were a "Senior Member" I would be treated with a little more respect. So this comical, uninformed, intolerant, nonsensical, unreasonable, clinically irrational, spastically reactionary Colt fan will sign off. I respect the opinions of others, don't seek to attack them but don't have to agree with them. I know there are others out there probably afraid to speak up at the expense of being crucified as well. Go COLTS!!!!

9 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I can't speak for anyone who used those terms. I suspect that they didnt intend disrespect anymore than you did.  As you quickly found out, theres a lot that people take personally that theres nothing you can do to avoid arguments with certain people. But nothing gets you there faster than when we are talking about how you root for your team and why someone else is either inferior or incorrect. These werent your exact words, but this IS the internet. People WILL read into your words and that has nothing to do with what you seem to perceive as "seniority" (and by no means do i mean that maliciously).

As far as respect goes, of course people can build up a lot of good will and often earn the benefit of the doubt over time.  thats true of pretty much any culture, real or digital. Theres an emoticon (or at least rule) mods throw around with some regularity, but the point is basically attack the argument, not the person. when we are talking about how you act as fans, its impossible to divorce those too things, so anything you say is basically amounts to personal shot to someone and even if you didnt mean to, youve either started or entered an existing battle royale.

I dont know if I'm considered a senior member, but I at least get the sense that with the "senior members" you refer to, theres a mutual respect and it shows when we disagree. I still lose my cool sometimes (just ask @NewColtsFan), but with a willingness to see to it that mutual respect wins the day and you will be just fine. ignore the ones you cant work out those differences.

Just my 2 cents.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I've been a member since we drafted luck and this FO is an embarrassment I'm nother afraid to speak out I get +ed at a lot but I don't care this team should be way better by now but Grigson has cost us years of contending 

1 hour ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I agree with much of what you posted but can also see where some other fans are coming from as well. No one likes to feel like the intensity of their fanhood is being questioned...although I don't think that was your initial intention.   At the end of the day, I don't think anyone here is content with mediocrity.  For as many posts that you can cite where you feel people are making excuses...there are also many that have been clamoring for change for quite awhile now.  At the end of the day...fans here want to see the team be successful...even if we can't all agree on what is necessary for that happen.  But until Irsay gets fed up and decides that he has had enough of Griggson & Pagano nothing will change regardless of how much the fans protest.  In my opinion, the biggest impediment to that happening is Irsay's ego...not the Colts fans' intensity or perceived lack of intensity.

On a lighter note...it's always nice to come across other Orioles/Colts fans on this board.  Something about that Oriole Bird endeared itself to me as well.  lol  You are certainly a loyal breed of fan to also stick with the O's through all that franchise has endured for the past 30+ years. 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I've been a member since we drafted luck and this FO is an embarrassment I'm nother afraid to speak out I get +ed at a lot but I don't care this team should be way better by now but Grigson has cost us years of contending 

Oh it should definitely be better.  I dont know that either of these guys are the answer, but I would not be surprised in the least if we are stuck with them through 2017. That being the case, I think I just would rather discuss how we can get better assuming they stay. Some people unfortunately think its my opinion they stay and it makes it difficult to discuss actual football.

If they get canned sooner, then we can discuss gm/hc candidates, draft/fa strategy etc. hypotheticals are hard enough to discuss without getting caught up in the distictions between opinion and assumption, let alone compounding hypotheticals.

11 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I KNOW most on this board are DIEHARD blue and white fans (myself included) but I'm shocked at the level of COMFORT as well as excuses made for this version of the Colts who have been slowing corroding the past couple of seasons. Some think Chuck COACHED a good game against a Steeler team coming in on a short with BACK to BACK road games while missing several key players also because we only LOST 28-7. Keep in mind that the Steelers had to beat the WINLESS Browns (whose started like 7 different qbs this season) 24-9 Sunday JUST to even their record to 5-5. Let's NOT gloss over the fact that the decision to single cover Brown greatly CONTRIBUTED to most of the Steelers points and the offensive play calling inside the Steelers 5yd line contributed to our LACK of points. Too many times this team lacks FOCUS with untimely dropped passes, penalties at key moments, poor tackling or execution... enough is enough!!! I question whether this organization is truly STRIVING for GREATNESS anymore or is just CONTENT with being able to squeeze out wins against BAD teams while masking flaws in the form of having a shot at the BAD division title yearly without being a SERIOUS threat for the SB. This has nothing to do with spoiled fans or trolls but people with a passion for their team.

It wasn't too long ago that when the media talked about model franchises and winning it was all about the Patriots and Colts. Manning or Brady? That all started when Irsay brought in a HOF headed gm who put the pieces together with a future HOF coach and surrounded the young Manning with weapons as well as some great offensive minds that CATERED to his strengths and ALLOWED him to become ONE of the greatest to ever play the game! What has been allowed to happen AROUND Luck is almost comical and at this rate he will NOT finish this contract. It's time for a CULTURAL and MINDSET change for this team! The EXPERIMENT has lasted long enough and the time is now Mr Irsay to take back this franchise and head BACK to the right direction.... 

I think some need to remember who started this conversation...I merely agreed with their position and still do. You have not clipped my wings. Go Colts!!!!! Last post I promise.

1 hour ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I suspect if I were a "Senior Member" I would be treated with a little more respect.

My responses to your posts have nothing to do with the label under your username or your post count, and everything to do with the content of your actual posts.

Like I said, and like others have said, I resent the implication that if I don't react to a substandard season the way you do that it makes me "content with mediocrity." I'll always resent it, and it doesn't matter who says it, or how many posts they have, or how many years they've been a Colts fan. None of that is relevant.

I feel I have betrayed my team for not acting like a 10 year old when things don't go well. Particularly in a sport which is now founded on parity. JSkinnz, you are a trolly troll troll. And darn you Irsay family for not striving to win more Championships. Then again, I blame that on the fans for not caring enough. The Niners fans in the 80/90's cared much more, and.......voila!

I consider myself suitably chastised, and I'm off to sit in the corner for a few hours.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great question, a lot of Colts fans are very concerned. I am too so I don't knock people for that. I understand it. I just want to give it one more year to see what we do in the Draft again, etc.. If we fail next season too than the people saying Pagano and Grigs stinks can gloat and say another wasted year. I honestly think if we miss the Playoffs and next season he will fire at least one of them, if not both. At that point Andrew will still only be going into season 7.

I don't think Luck has hit his prime yet. 

I've always thought of the Colts as special (probably because I'm a fan).

I think we were spoiled as fans after having Peyton Manning.  Manning was like a magician.  When they drafted Luck, I thought it would continue and or a couple of seasons, it did.  They went to the playoffs until last season and most likely, this season.  

What I've realized is that we're not special.  We're no different than the Jets, Bills, or Browns.  We don't deserve anything that we don't plan and work for.  

12 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree with much of what you posted but can also see where some other fans are coming from as well. No one likes to feel like the intensity of their fanhood is being questioned...although I don't think that was your initial intention.   At the end of the day, I don't think anyone here is content with mediocrity.  For as many posts that you can cite where you feel people are making excuses...there are also many that have been clamoring for change for quite awhile now.  At the end of the day...fans here want to see the team be successful...even if we can't all agree on what is necessary for that happen.  But until Irsay gets fed up and decides that he has had enough of Griggson & Pagano nothing will change regardless of how much the fans protest.  In my opinion, the biggest impediment to that happening is Irsay's ego...not the Colts fans' intensity or perceived lack of intensity.

On a lighter note...it's always nice to come across other Orioles/Colts fans on this board.  Something about that Oriole Bird endeared itself to me as well.  lol  You are certainly a loyal breed of fan to also stick with the O's through all that franchise has endured for the past 30+ years. 

In 1980 my wife 'informed me' we were moving from Southern York County PA  (35 miles from Baltimore) to Indy (her home).  Long as I  could have my Mom (now in her 90s) mail me the Baltimore Sports pages, I  was good.  She still does today!

Go, Orioles, Go!

15 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I will take 8-8 if we can get there but any less than that and we need to get rid of coaches and at least the GM cause in this division to lose any division games in this weak division is awful and we hae had a lot of games we could and probably should have won this year.

19 hours ago, Superman said:

And what difference has that made?

I take offense to posters telling me that I'm the reason the Colts aren't good, because I don't scream into the wind every time they lose, because I'm settling for mediocrity, accusing me of being happy with a participation banner, etc. You've insinuated -- and you're not the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last -- that I'm an inferior fan, holding the rest of you back.

The bolded is especially off the mark, and again points to a lack of perspective.

The culture surrounding the Colts is not cancerous. Again, that's nonsense. The Colts have been one of the best teams in the league for a long time. They've slid back the past two seasons, and need a lot of work. That's a far cry from cancerous. Seriously, take a look around the league. Things get a lot worse than the current state of the Colts, from their record to their postseason success, to everything else. It's more than overboard, it's an egregious misrepresentation of the state of the franchise.

None of this means I'm okay or content with what the Colts are doing or where they're at. Nothing I've said suggest the Colts are just one or two plays away from going to the Super Bowl. 

So, I'm sorry that it offends you that I think your post is entirely lacking in sense. I'm not saying you don't know football or that your opinion isn't relevant. I'm saying that, on this point, I think what you're saying makes no sense. I stand by that.

Can you just be our spokesperson?

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I will take 8-8 if we can get there but any less than that and we need to get rid of coaches and at least the GM cause in this division to lose any division games in this weak division is awful and we hae had a lot of games we could and probably should have won this year.

Personally would be ok with keeping GM but fire pagano he just can't do it at this level this season has made that clear to me 

15 hours ago, Jeff Hilton said:

No sir. From my experience as a new member this board doesnt react based on longevity on the board. My very first posts were met with criticism and support and none were directed at my time on the board. 

The Colts have been mediocre since 2012. Just look at the records inside and outside of the division.  They did make he playoffs and all of the games they played turned out the way I expected them. They lost the ones I expected them to lose and won the ones I expected them to win. 

On 11/26/2016 at 8:56 PM, Jeff Hilton said:

A culture of winning? Hmmm!
 Not sure where your head is (just kidding) at but i think of things like this when it comes to Colts culture.
  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/peyton-manning-rallies-colts-broncos-sets-nfl-record-22nd-straight-regular-season-win-article-1.437348
 And yes it is a shame, not satisfying, that Manning didn`t lead us to 2-3-4 SB wins while he was here, but that is all we Fans got.
  And Many here believe that winning 8 games last season proved something about our Colts Culture by the players not quitting when many teams would have.
 We have a number of very young guys that will have to work like winners over the next year or two to become the leaders of our Next group of Winners.
  And the Management has to be Excellent at what they do for it all to come together. We will see.

50 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The Colts have been mediocre since 2012. Just look at the records inside and outside of the division.  They did make he playoffs and all of the games they played turned out the way I expected them. They lost the ones I expected them to lose and won the ones I expected them to win. 

11-5 3 years in a row isn't mediocre, going to the AFC Title Game isn't either. You expected us to beat the Packers in 2012, the Seahawks in 2013, and win at Denver in the 2014 Divisional Round? That is pretty amazing because I didn't.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

11-5 3 years in a row isn't mediocre, going to the AFC Title Game isn't either. You expected us to beat the Packers in 2012, the Seahawks in 2013, and win at Denver in the 2014 Divisional Round? That is pretty amazing because I didn't.

I was hoping they'd get Denver that year. Peyton was a shell of his former self at that time in the season and he couldn't throw deep or to the right side.  That was a good match up for them. Going 11-5 with 6 of your wins coming out of the pitiful AFC South is mediocrity at its best. 

On 11/27/2016 at 11:33 AM, jimmy g said:

In 1980 my wife 'informed me' we were moving from Southern York County PA  (35 miles from Baltimore) to Indy (her home).  Long as I  could have my Mom (now in her 90s) mail me the Baltimore Sports pages, I  was good.  She still does today!

Go, Orioles, Go!

Wow...thanks for sharing that heart warming story.  You are blessed to have such an awesome Mom!  90 years old and she has done that for you for all these years.  It's the little things like that which means so much.  God bless her.  Go O's...go Colts!

On 11/26/2016 at 2:13 PM, Malakai432 said:

Get your butt in there..  Just imagine how much the league would be S$&&"@& their pants if the Colts had Emperor Palpatine as head coach/gm/offense/defense/league commissioner/universal owner........

Just..........Thank you!!!!!!!

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, deedub75 said:

I imagine you are a very rich man. Especially that Denver win. And you must have made a fortune at half time v the Chiefs....

Well done you.