Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tolzien will do just fine...It's defense that worries me..

tfunky14

I expect the Colts to pound the football.  The Steelers run D is average, at best.  They constantly have to bring up safeties to run blitz and if the opposing offense can get hats on hats at the line of scrimmage, it's possible to hit big play runs on the Steelers. 

I also expect the play-action passing game to be a pleasant surprise.

If Morris was starting, I think his ability to extend plays with his size and athleticism would give the Steelers fits. 

Regardless, this game will be much closer than people think, and I expect the Colts to rise to the occasion.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine the Tolzster is more prepared for an NFL game.

i seemed to remember he had a few moments in the preseason.  He's a kinda boring player.  But that's not all bad in a backup.

we have weapons on offense.  Feed gore and turbin, and give the QB some quick slants and utilize our TEs.  The receivers can certainly open up the middle.  The steelers will be coming after the QB, play after play.  Give Scott a solid game plan and hope for the best.  It's all we can do.

Morris looks so calm and natural.  Reminds me a lil of Winston. Effortless arm, and pretty mobile.  While I think he's not as ready as Scott, if things don't go well for the Tolzster , put Morris in.  What's to lose really.  Let Morris go in and sling it and run around. You never know.

5 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

I'm not real concern with starting Tolzien as the Steelers defense is not that good at all. The Colts will score points but I'm more concern with the Colt's defense and containing the Steelers's Offense.

You're really not concerned about Tolzien.........?? Seriously.

I hope he's as confident as you are......

Frank Gore's got to have a big night

3 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

I know preseason 

but i I do know the Steelers defense is ranked 26th

They are 26th in passing yards allowed, 22nd in total yards, but 9th in rushing yards, and 12th in ppg.  Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to take advantage of their weakness in the defensive passing game.  With Luck they would have stood more than a chance.

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

If I've learned anything through the years of watching football, it's that football is weird. It would not shock me to see Tolzien put up 4 TDs, pull out a freak win, and for everyone on the forum to be questioning if Luck is overrated. Pittsburgh will not have much film on the guy, and that plays to our advantage.

Stranger things have happened than for a career backup QB to come in and beat a .500 team at home.

Well said.

Tolzien has 1 Completion for 4 yards the last 3 years combined. 

I'm not confident he'll be just fine.

Could have won this in a dog fight with Luck I feel. 

This guy will have a hard time playing QB for 60 minutes with that resume.

Oh and happy thanksgiving people...

I really hate that Geathers isn't playing. He sets a tone for the tackling and energy level of that defense. He and Edwin Jackson play with the most energy of anyone on that D. I actually have decent amount of faith in this D. To me Ted is a better DC than Manusky. The guys are getting better and better each game. Discipline and tackling specifically. I think the D will do its part. Ben can still throw but I don't think he can run like he used to. If we can craft better ways of getting pressures on him than Manusky did we can stymie him some. I'm not going to give up yet. If Tolzien and everybody else can just play with some focus and execute their jobs we have a chance. Hopefully Chud designs an offensive game plan that gives Tolzien a lot of outlets. He will play within the bounds of the offense I think. And unlike Hasslebeck hes got ability to throw the deep ball. The key will be if we can craft a really good game plan to protect Scott and give him time to work.

Come on Indy.  Sack up and open up the roof!  Let the elements play a factor tonight. Its our only hope of slowing down that Pittsburgh offense.  Our secondary needs every help it can get.  Sometimes that's what you need to do.  Make this an ugly game. Plays right into our hands tonight.  Ball control game with Gore...short passing attack managed by Tolzien...control time of possession.  Make Pittsburgh's high flying offense have to try and beat us on the ground or if they want to pass then make them do it throwing into the cold and rain. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

We still need to be aggressive and take the necessary down field shots when available. Have Scott sling it deep a couple times early. Set a tone early that says we ain't laying down easily.

The best thing is, at a certain point Thursday night, we may have nothing to lose

Tolzien might be alright with the starters as long as we don't put the whole game on his back. Every unit has to do their part in helping him. Watched some of the Baltimore and Cincy preseason games. He plays within the scheme and I liked how in sync he is with his footwork and the timing of the throw. Goes through all his progressions and gets the ball out quickly is what I noticed. Knows what hes doing. We just have to support the guy. Ain't saying we will win but I want Pitt to know we ain't giving them our heads in a platter.

Krunk said:

Tolzien might be alright with the starters as long as we don't put the whole game on his back. Every unit has to do their part in helping him. Watched some of the Baltimore and Cincy preseason games. He plays within the scheme and I liked how in sync he is with his footwork and the timing of the throw. Goes through all his progressions and gets the ball out quickly is what I noticed. Knows what hes doing. We just have to support the guy. Ain't saying we will win but I want Pitt to know we ain't giving them our heads in a platter.

Me: 

I basically agree. Listen, I don't feel great about our chances, but I'm not going to be a Debbie downer and give up even before the game starts. Just when you think a team has no chance, they rally and come together. 

Last week, everybody in the world was picking the Titans because they dismantled the Packers. Look what happened. If our D comes out and plays good and the O can play well within Scott's abilities, who knows. Pitt is not an unstoppable force this year. Their D is a bit suspect, and we should have some scoring opportunities.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How is it unlikely to be a blow out?

There just aren't many of those in the NFL really. You have a handful of them a season out of over 250 total games a year. Depending on what you consider a blow out anyway. If Scott can just manage the game and avoid turnovers we should avoid getting blown out. The real concern to me is the defense. If we keep it under 3 TD's that's not a blowout to me and I think we do that

If Tolzien is given time then I expect a respectable performance. Something like 175-200 yards 1 td and 1 pick. Just complete enough passes to get us in field goal range multiple times.  Defense has to get a turnover or 2

Now if one unit does not hold up their end of the deal then yes things will get ugly. I just think we will be fine in this game.

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Your right it's not the same team this D is worse 

Stats wise it is worse, but with an entirely new scheme being implemented is it actually worse?

Is Patrick Robinson an upgrade over Toler?

Is Geathers worse than Lowery?

Has the defensive line gotten worse? No it has not, the same players are starting, and we have Jones back for depth.

Has our slot corner regressed? No he has not. 

Has Mike Adams been amazing? No he hasn't, but has he been worse than last year? No he has not.

The only thing we are missing is Jerrell Freeman, and with EJ playing the way he has been, I'd say we are not worse, I would argue; despite the numbers, we have a better defense. 

10 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Stats wise it is worse, but with an entirely new scheme being implemented is it actually worse?

Has the defensive line gotten worse? No it has not, the same players are starting, and we have Jones back for depth.

Has Mike Adams been amazing? No he hasn't, but has he been worse than last year? No he has not.

The only thing we are missing is Jerrell Freeman, and with EJ playing the way he has been, I'd say we are not worse, I would argue; despite the numbers, we have a better defense. 

he will always give you the same tired answers. He want the team to lose any way so the answers will never be reasonable

37 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Zero Pass rush and the linebackers are noneexistent that alone makes them worse and tolerance and Robinson are about the same both play decent then can turn around and be complete trash 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Zero Pass rush and the linebackers are noneexistent that alone makes them worse and tolerance and Robinson are about the same both play decent then can turn around and be complete trash 

yeah because our pass rush was better last year?

lol im done..

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's older and worse this year atleast we had youth in Newsome I'm not arguing with Homers with blue glasses 

Look up the sack totals before you just spew things out of your mouth and present them as facts. We are on pace for 40+ sacks this year, we sit at 22 currently, and we finished with 35 last season.

You are wrong, put simply.