Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF article on Colts O Line regarding game 1

Gavin

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

He gave up a sack and a couple more pressures but it was mostly because of his run blocking. It was awful

Hopefully he'll improve.  Joe Haeg is knocking on the door.

I believe Reitz will get it together.   Or at least I'm hoping.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pass blocking should get better from him. Run Blocking nah. Not so much. I look for Reitz pass blocking grade to be somewhere in the low to mid 80's according to PFF grades. Good but not great going forward, a mistake sometimes but not horrible performances. Run blocking however I don't see getting a lot better

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Pass blocking should get better from him. Run Blocking nah. Not so much. I look for Reitz pass blocking grade to be somewhere in the low to mid 80's according to PFF grades. Good but not great going forward, a mistake sometimes but not horrible performances. Run blocking however I don't see getting a lot better

If Haeg was given a shot at some point this season how do you think he'd do?

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm with you, I honestly feel Haeg may be the future at RT. I know that's what they drafted Clark for but he is going to need to show some serious improvement in the next year to make that happen. Clark has the higher ceiling but Haeg has the much higher floor.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If Haeg was given a shot at some point this season how do you think he'd do?

He isn't strong enough yet to handle D Linemen or OLB's that can convert speed to power. He also has to keep his hands up. He has them way down at times instead of up and ready to engage a defender. He is a year away at least. Also remember he only played in 2 pre season games and that was with mixed results against mostly rookies and backups like him.

Give him a year or two tops and another set of preseason games to show what he has learned and how far he has come physically and then I expect he gets his shot if he produces positive results

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I'm with you, I honestly feel Haeg may be the future at RT. I know that's what they drafted Clark for but he is going to need to show some serious improvement in the next year to make that happen. Clark has the higher ceiling but Haeg has the much higher floor.

Very well said.

Haeg might take over for Reitz this year,   but the Colts want Clark to be the RT for next year and beyond.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very well said.

Haeg might take over for Reitz this year,   but the Colts want Clark to be the RT for next year and beyond.

As long as the Colts are putting in the better Tackle after Reitz time is up and not just putting in Clark because that's what they want. Remember its the five best O Linemen not 5 O Linemen with the highest upside. I hope when the time comes Pagano/Grigson remembers that.

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

He isn't strong enough yet to handle D Linemen or OLB's that can convert speed to power. He also has to keep his hands up. He has them way down at times instead of up and ready to engage a defender. He is a year away at least. Also remember he only played in 2 pre season games and that was with mixed results against mostly rookies and backups like him.

Give him a year or two tops and another set of preseason games to show what he has learned and how far he has come physically and then I expect he gets his shot if he produces positive results

I agree with your observations about Haeg. In preseason, I saw a player who lacked enough strength (yet) to go man-to-man at the first string level. 

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Glad to see Good have a decent game at RG in his first professional start at that position.

I've been high on him since he was drafted,..but really high since this preseason's first game.  The guy can move the biggest, strongest NT's in the game.  Cox in game 4,preseason and Ngata this past week showed me how truely Good is ment for Guard.  He completely shut out 2 of the best d-line players in the game.  If we ever get a RT who can run block well, running right off tackle should Pay huge dividends for us in the future.

46 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pagano: "Not to many people" who can block Haloti Ngata like RG Denzelle Good did 1-on-1 a few times. #Colts

— George Bremer (@gmbremer) Sep 14, 2016

This is what impressed me the most during the Lions game was Good's performance against Ngata. This whole preseason the forum was worried about our RG position rightfully so. I have been a fan of Good, so it was nice to see him come in and have a very encouraging game, and to show he belongs in the starting lineup. Hopefully he continues to develop and grow in the position as he gets more reps.

Just now, SDakColts said:

This is what impressed me the most during the Lions game. This whole preseason the forum was worried about our RG position rightfully so. I have been a fan of Good, so it was nice to see him come in and have a very encouraging game, and to show he belongs in the starting lineup. Hopefully he continues to develop and grow in the position as he gets more reps.

I'm still laughing at DefJamz26 "Look out for that surprise cut in Denzelle Good" "He's a career backup".  "Too Much Hype"  Just another Xavier Nixon.  Hmmmmm

Just now, krunk said:

I'm still laughing at DefJamz26 "Look out for that surprise cut in Denzelle Good" "He's a career backup".  "Too Much Hype"  Just another Xavier Nixon.  Hmmmmm

I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion I just tend to also disagree with that statement like you. This preseason is what made me more optimistic than ever. When we played the Eagles Good lined up and stonewalled Fletcher Cox several times it showed me he was going to be just fine. It is also nice to see that perhaps Grigs hit on one of his late round picks. Like I said lets hope this trend continues, and that Good can develop into a above average to top tier guard.

4 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion I just tend to also disagree with that statement like you. This preseason is what made me more optimistic than ever. When we played the Eagles Good lined up and stonewalled Fletcher Cox several times it showed me he was going to be just fine. It is also nice to see that perhaps Grigs hit on one of his late round picks. Like I said lets hope this trend continues, and that Good can develop into a above average to top tier guard.

True statement.  And he still has issues he needs to improve upon, but I like where he's at.  Don't get me wrong Defjamz is my boy, but we had a long back and forth about that one. LOL

Good was a really, really great draft pick by Grigson... I've heard people say that he could have been picked up as an UDFA, but there aren't any guarantees he signs with indy in that situation. 

Nobody knew about this kid coming out. Media and fans all collectively said "who?", but the kid has done nothing but outperform his draft position since his first day here.  

This is a very good OL as it stands and they might not even be the best 5 we have. I don't like losing to Detroit, but I love that we finally have an OL filled with young talent. 

There is a lot of young talent on D as well. One good defense-heavy draft and maybe a FA playmaker and Indy should be set to make a legitimate run. 

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I am not very confident with Reitz at RT.  I would prefer him at Guard.

I hope someone steps up and becomes an anchor at RT (Good, Clark Blythe or some other capables)

With how terrible Reitz is as a run blocker I don't think he would transition back to guard very well. I think Reitz is a great backup swing tackle, but I don't think he is much more than average starting material. I think after this season he will be replaced at RT.