Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk about our safeties

twfish

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm still worried about the pass rush, however I'm excited about Curt Maggitt. He may be the gem that could help us out. McGill is another guy that could work out brilliantly (believe we got him for a 7th, lol). Ridgeway and Morrison are wildcards, but we would of never got Morrison if we didn't trade down. Anderson and Langford I love, just hope to have them back soon. It looks like we may finally have some competent coaching. Chud and Monachino are huge upgrades IMO. I'll also give credit to Grigson these last two years in the draft, he's finally starting to hit on his picks, it seems. This team just got injected with a lot of talent. I'm still worried about Jacksonville, but lets take em out, we got Andrew Luck!

I'm not really worried about Jacksonville. They'll be better, but I don't think they're ready for us yet in terms of competing on a championship level.  They are still learning how to play championship football.   The Colts know how to win and have been on big stages more than a few times.  I think we are the big dogs in this division when it's all said and done.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm not really worried about Jacksonville. They'll be better, but I don't think they're ready for us yet in terms of competing on a championship level.  They are still learning how to play championship football.   The Colts know how to win and have been on big stages more than a few times.  I think we are the big dogs in this division when it's all said and done.

If Luck is on his game, we'll beat them. All about him developing chemistry with Moncrief and Dorsett these next few weeks. If he can, and cut down on the INT's, we have a small shot at the SB this year depending on how our players develop. Just hope the defense does its part. It'll definitely look good when everyone is healthy!

Not to be a donnie-downer here.....

But it is not uncommon for young players to look pretty good in the pre-season when things are mostly vanilla and the game speed is not very fast yet.

Once the regular season starts and the bullets start flying THEN is when we'll know what we have.    Hopefully are kids continue to look good.      

So far,  I'm modestly encouraged by Green.    More than I expected right now.    And Southward was a favorite of mine a year ago.      So, hopefully they both have a great future with the Colts.   Them, and Geathers is a nice future.     

I'm just trying not to get too excited too soon.     Rookie mistakes are to be EXPECTED.    They will happen.

I just hope we can keep them to a minimum.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to be a donnie-downer here.....

But it is not common for young players to look pretty good in the pre-season when things are mostly vanilla and the game speed is not very fast yet.

Once the regular season starts and the bullets start flying THEN is when we'll know what we have.    Hopefully are kids continue to look good.      

So far,  I'm modestly encouraged by Green.    More than I expected right now.    And Southward was a favorite of mine a year ago.      So, hopefully they both have a great future with the Colts.   Them, and Geathers is a nice future.     

I'm just trying not to get too excited too soon.     Rookie mistakes are to be EXPECTED.    They will happen.

I just hope we can keep them to a minimum.

Keep your comments to yourself about my boy Green, lol. :thmup: How ya doing NCF? Haven't seen you in a while!

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Keep your comments to yourself about my boy Green, lol. :thmup: How ya doing NCF? Haven't seen you in a while!

By the way,  I meant not Uncommon to see a rookie play well in the pre-season...    not common.    I didn't write that correctly.      My bad.

As for me.....     I'm still here....     I'm here everyday.      I'm just trying not to post too much.     Figure it keeps me out of trouble.       I do't want to say the wrong thing to the wrong people and then things go to heck in a hand basket!

I'll try to save my best stuff for right before the season starts....    Once I see how the pre-season goes and who we grab off of waivers after the 53 man rosters are submitted.     I expect us to grab 2-3 players from other teams. 

Once I see all that,   I expect to have a number of posts and threads the week leading up to the season opener.

I continue to believe the new coaches are the real key to our success this year......    Hoping they get every last bit of talent out of our players........    that's what we need.....    

I think 2017 will be a fascinating year to watch....

Hope you're well, JC......

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way,  I meant not Uncommon to see a rookie play well in the pre-season...    not common.    I didn't write that correctly.      My bad.

As for me.....     I'm still here....     I'm here everyday.      I'm just trying not to post too much.     Figure it keeps me out of trouble.       I do't want to say the wrong thing to the wrong people and then things go to heck in a hand basket!

I'll try to save my best stuff for right before the season starts....    Once I see how the pre-season goes and who we grab off of waivers after the 53 man rosters are submitted.     I expect us to grab 2-3 players from other teams. 

Once I see all that,   I expect to have a number of posts and threads the week leading up to the season opener.

I continue to believe the new coaches are the real key to our success this year......    Hoping they get every last bit of talent out of our players........    that's what we need.....    

I think 2017 will be a fascinating year to watch....

Hope you're well, JC......

Absolutely! Sometimes you have to see the players play a bit to get invested in the game. Some guys look very intruiging this year that could help us out. Wish Anderson would start the year, but we can survive it. As I said earlier in the thread, love the Southward pickup and looking forward to Luck playing where I can watch him this week. Chud and Monachino are upgrades that should benefit the team. All we can do is watch and hope for the best. Honestly believe Grigson put in a good effort in the draft.

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely! Sometimes you have to see the players play a bit to get invested in the game. Some guys look very intruiging this year that could help us out. Wish Anderson would start the year, but we can survive it. As I said earlier in the thread, love the Southward pickup and looking forward to Luck playing where I can watch him this week. Chud and Monachino are upgrades that should benefit the team. All we can do is watch and hope for the best. Honestly believe Grigson put in a good effort in the draft.

On offense....   Chud,  Philbin and Schottenheimer.....    that's a lot of new smart people on that side of the ball.

And Monachino working with Pagano hopefully will help get the most on defense......

The other AFC teams brought in more real talent.    But I have to hope our new coaches take out level up another rung or two.....

That's my story,  and I'm sticking to it!         :thmup:

On 8/17/2016 at 6:45 PM, Jared Cisneros said:
On 8/17/2016 at 6:23 PM, krunk said:
I've felt increasingly comfortable after seeing the talent of these young pass rushers to go along with Mathis and Cole. As a group they should be able to apply adequate pressure.  And then you factor in the penetrators that we have on the interior like TY McGill, Ridgeway, Arthur Jones, Zach Kerr, Parry to go along with Henry Anderson, Kendall Langford.  Not to mention an offense that I think will definitely put up some points.  I've liked everything I've seen so far with how Chud implements his offense.  It's looking like it's going to be solid to me.
I'm still worried about the pass rush, however I'm excited about Curt Maggitt. He may be the gem that could help us out. McGill is another guy that could work out brilliantly (believe we got him for a 7th, lol). Ridgeway and Morrison are wildcards, but we would of never got Morrison if we didn't trade down. Anderson and Langford I love, just hope to have them back soon. It looks like we may finally have some competent coaching. Chud and Monachino are huge upgrades IMO. I'll also give credit to Grigson these last two years in the draft, he's finally starting to hit on his picks, it seems. This team just got injected with a lot of talent. I'm still worried about Jacksonville, but lets take em out, we got Andrew Luck!

McGill didn't cost us a draft pick, we stole him off Seattle's practise squad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Camp body signing, Alden Darby from ASU. He hasn't done anything so far in the league, but I liked him as a UDFA prospect a couple years ago. He also stood out on ASU tape, even when you were watching someone else. 

I was looking at that one earlier today.  I noticed he had 10 picks in his career at ASU, so seems to have a nose for the football.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Luck is on his game, we'll beat them. All about him developing chemistry with Moncrief and Dorsett these next few weeks. If he can, and cut down on the INT's, we have a small shot at the SB this year depending on how our players develop. Just hope the defense does its part. It'll definitely look good when everyone is healthy!

I'm confident in our boys.  I remember Denver walked into Lucas Oil Stadium with Peyton Manning at quarterback and the number 1 offense in league history a couple of years ago and they walked out with an L.  And that Colts team had lesser personnel and coaching than this team has.  We did the same thing to them last year when they had the #1 defense. Same thing happened to Seattle when they came in here with the Legion of Boom and so called better Personnel.

To come back to the subject of Jacksonville it's not always about the Personnel.  In fact I'm quite positive we've played better defenses and teams with better personnel than what they have on the table.  Right now it's hard for me to talk about them with a serious tone until they prove they can get past 5 wins. 

Just now, krunk said:

I'm confident in our boys.  I remember Denver walked into Lucas Oil Stadium with Peyton Manning at quarterback and the number 1 offense in league history a couple of years ago and they walked out an

L.  And that Colts team had lesser personnel and coaching than this team has.  To come back to the 

subject of Jacksonville it's not always about the Personnel.  In fact I'm quite positive we've played better

defenses and teams with better personnel than what they have on the table.  Right now it's hard for me

to talk about them with a serious tone until they prove they can get past 5 wins. 

Maybe I give them too much credit because they drafted guys I studied on tape, and those 1st round type of picks are great players a decent amount of the time. They haven't done anything, and for at least a while, they'll be learning on the job trying to get better. That's where we need to punch them in the mouth and show them who the alpha male is in this division! We did everything we could during the offseason, I can't wait to see how we match up vs the NFL this year. Especially Sat when Luck finally plays a bit!

There will be a learning curve for the young guys. In the NFL, pure athleticism can be trumped by football intelligence, because things happen so fast. A split-second decision could make the difference between tight coverage and getting burned for a big play. That being said, good coaching, instinct and the help of veterans can help. Overall, I'm hoping the secondary is better (which will help the pass-rush).

16 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

If we have 4 good safeties, as you are suggesting, then I submit that we do have good depth at that position.

"good"? The only way I see them as being "good" is on their potential. Because Green has a lonnngggg way to go and Gaethers was just a spot player last year and injury fill in. There's a lot yet to be determined about this group. JMO

17 hours ago, krunk said:

Southward has good size though.  Just an inch shorter than Green and just as fast. That along with having played a full NFL season at the position.  That's a good guy to have as a depth player if called upon. Reminds me a little bit of Bethea, although I think Southward has enough ability and speed to cover man to man if asked to do so.  Atlanta had switched him to cornerback at one point before they got rid of him.  If Adams, Geathers, Green, and Southward wind up being our 4 safeties I'm kind of comfortable with that group.  I wasn't real comfortable at first when training camp started, but I feel better now.

If Southward can actually cover man to man, I'd rather see him on the outside @ CB than Butler. 

15 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, I think that's what it was called, through Comcast. Between that and the insanely fast internet connection I had, I was shelling out like $160/month once my 1 year free trial for the NFL Network ended. Now that the majority of all the Thursday night games are going to be aired on CBS, I honestly just don't have any use for it. Downgraded to a lesser wi-fi package, my bill's more than cut in half.

Send me your Comcast High Speed.  We pay for the best......and ours is awful....and their customer service is the worst in the history of mankind as we know it.

16 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Send me your Comcast High Speed.  We pay for the best......and ours is awful....and their customer service is the worst in the history of mankind as we know it.

We have Infinity and it drives me bonkers at times. We have a package deal and it seems there is always something wrong with one of the three. The first was the internet and using a wireless connection. We finally got that worked out just to have a non stop problem with the TV service. We are forever having to reboot the TV receivers. I have no problems with customer service as we are on a first name bases now! :D

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We have Infinity and it drives me bonkers at times. We have a package deal and it seems there is always something wrong with one of the three. The first was the internet and using a wireless connection. We finally got that worked out just to have a non stop problem with the TV service. We are forever having to reboot the TV receivers. I have no problems with customer service as we are on a first name bases now! :D

I let RG handle it because I would go ape *** at them.  Glad you have yours figured out.  We have had 6 storms come through and I think they need to upgrade the wiring.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:07 PM, krunk said:

Wouldn't be surprised at all if these are the 4 safeties we use during the regular season.  Adams, Geathers, Green, and Southward. If all are healthy that would be Adams and Geathers as the starters with Green and Southward being the backups.  I could definitely see Green leap frogging somebody real fast though.

I don't disagree but wonder who else we'd really have to choose from at this time than those 4? 

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I don't disagree but wonder who else we'd really have to choose from at this time than those 4? 

Honestly no one because the rest of the bunch is pretty much special teams guys including Winston Guy.  Mclure, Hightower, Darby etc. etc.  All are special teams guys in my estimation.

5 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Southward wasn't really getting talked about  a whole bunch but I think he's at the top of the heap for that 4th backup safety spot.

Grigson and Pagano seem (judging by interviews) to have their favorites and I believe Green is one of them.  I think that they think he is the kind of player that gets his feet wet in the regular season, makes his mistakes and by the playoffs, he makes a play for us that changes the game.    

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, twfish said:

We may not have a ton of depth at the position however we have some very good players at the position.

Mike Adams. Talk about being lucky that we picked him up in June a couple seasons ago he's been a big difference maker for us, hopefully he stays healthy this year and helps develop the others. He's getting older though and I think this year might be his last.

Clayton Geathers. I still absolutely love this pick, a true hard nose strong hitting SS who's not terrible in coverage. I love how we brought him in here and there last year and helped him develop under Adams and Lowery. The hit he had on freeman last year was on of my favorites last year.

T.J Green. He has definitely surprised alot of us and he may not be the developmental safety we all thought but he still needs some. Some are saying he should start over geathers but I really don't think we should do that unless geathers isn't healthy. I think he could learn more and become a better player doing exactly what we did with Clayton last year. I truly beleive he could be our future FS but I'd rather not rush him.

Dezmen Southward. He was a third round pick by Atlanta in 2014 but we got him off waivers. He's definitely under the radar but I think he could be a really nice pick up. He's 6'2 runs a 4.38 40 and had a 6.5 second 3 cone drill (greens was 7.1) he played some corner back and has decent coverage skills but I really see him as a FS. He caught my eye in the game so I had to do some research and I really like this kid.

We may not have a ton of depth at the position but I really really like the quality especially with the size and speed with Green and southward

Was Southward they player the announcers said played at Wisconsin ? If so I noticed how quick and decisive he was looked very natural .

1 minute ago, B~Town said:

Was Southward they player the announcers said played at Wisconsin ? If so I noticed how quick and decisive he was looked very natural .

Yes he was from Wisconsin, I noticed his play and that's what stuck out to me instantly

I was thinking today looking at the dorsett thread, and man I'm glad we didn't take Landon collins. I think we have more talent with green and I think geathers will be just as good. Dorsett looks to be a bigger diffrence maker as well