Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One thing I would like to see more of from Andrew....

coltsfeva

The "look off" to freeze the defense.

I was at the Carolina game last year and it was painfully obvious Andrew was "telegraphing" his throws. And with guys like Norman and Kuechly, it was a disastrous first half. I hope this particular aspect will be emphasized by QB coach as part of his improvement.

I remember Peyton saying that when he pulled a good play-fake and made two linebackers bite, he in essence, just blocked two guys. Those kinds of details illustrate how intelligence can trump athleticism, in some cases. 

He has always done that and I have a feeling he won't stop, the thing I like hearing though is what was mentioned today and that's working with timing like manning use to do, having the ball thrown before the WR makes the cut and placing it right where it needs to be. It has seemed like luck has always waited until after the cut is made to throw (which explains why he stays in the pocket so long)

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

He has always done that and I have a feeling he won't stop, the thing I like hearing though is what was mentioned today and that's working with timing like manning use to do, having the ball thrown before the WR makes the cut and placing it right where it needs to be. It has seemed like luck has always waited until after the cut is made to throw (which explains why he stays in the pocket so long)

this^

1 hour ago, twfish said:

You have to trust your receivers.  Hopefully Moncrief gains more of it and Dorsett deserves it.  

17 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

The "look off" to freeze the defense.

I was at the Carolina game last year and it was painfully obvious Andrew was "telegraphing" his throws. And with guys like Norman and Kuechly, it was a disastrous first half. I hope this particular aspect will be emphasized by QB coach as part of his improvement.

I remember Peyton saying that when he pulled a good play-fake and made two linebackers bite, he in essence, just blocked two guys. Those kinds of details illustrate how intelligence can trump athleticism, in some cases. 

I'm sure Chud noticed the Telegraphing this year 12 has  better Coach's around him & a offensive Coach who will make a difference in all things Luck .

Here is a good read if interested was just checking it out ..

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Rob-Chudzinski-Installing-Flexible-Attacking-Offense/41ad9e28-1e22-4942-a677-9d598991e0b

15 hours ago, BOTT said:

Ed Reed disagrees

This. . . I think we don't notice when he does look off a safety unless the commentator's point it out.  However it's easier to notice when he stares the receiver down.  

So therefore people think he doesn't look the safeties off.

Like Bott Mentioned, during Luck's rookie year, Ed Reed was interviewed after the Colts vs Ravens playoff game. Ed Reed praised Luck for looking off the defense. He said he wanted to read Luck's eyes, but Luck did a good job of looking off the defense.

When Luck was at Stanford, and before he was drafted by the Colts, I remember specifically watching him look off the defense. This was something he was doing in college. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to do this. The difference however, is the speed of the game in the pros. 

Go to the 3:30 mark and watch Luck look left and then immediately come right for a quick out to Whalen. Then the following play, Luck pump fakes to Whalen, looks to the middle of the field to hold the defense, and then throws a perfect strike to Whalen along the sideline. It shows it in slow motion and it's definitive that Luck knows how to look off a defense.

Yeah I thought Luck did this regularly??  It was a disastrous, tough year for the Colts last year including Luck.  Perhaps he was discouraged by all of it, it's anyone's guess. 

In my opinion he doesn't need to clean much up, just be smarter with the ball which will lead to more quality plays, a better completion % and less interceptions.  Looking for the smart play vs the kill play where he throws to a WR down field into double or triple coverage which ends up getting picked off vs looking for a quick dump off or even using his legs to get an extra 5-6 years safely.  Better coaching, scheme, and actually having a potentially better line facilitated by a possible (legitimate) center could make him much better which is a scary thought. . . . . . . . . for opposing teams.

I'm not really sure about mechanics but I heard on the radio that they are working on some basic things that may help him as well such footwork. 

Whether you think he looks off the Safety or not (He doesn't always)one of his biggest issues has been always looking for the big play and not coming off his deep read when it is not there. He has not been consistently willing to take what the defense gives him. 1-10 yard efficient and consistent completions are good. The idea is to move the ball and the best way to do that is to throw it where they aint thereby making the defense adjust to you.

We spent the first few years seeing that the defense knew Luck was going to try to get the ball deep. We had quite a bit of success with it at times but it also cost us at times because we didn't go underneath enough. Very little balance in the passing game

We did not have enough balance in the passing game. That wasn't solely because Bruce pushed Luck to go down field. Arians had some plays with underneath routes.....I believe it was Dustin or Superman that pointed it out to but I failed to see them at first do to me getting caught up in the excitement of the games. Luck just rarely ever gave them a look. Multiple times Whalen was open underneath or in the flat, As were RB's. Still Luck almost never looked there way.

When Luck shows the willingness to do that mixed with a passing attack that's built around creating mismatches and defenders in a position where they have to choose between 1 wr/te or the other at the expense of yards gained with either choice combined with a decent run game then the offense will then reach its full potential

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Whether you think he looks off the Safety or not (He doesn't always)one of his biggest issues has been always looking for the big play and not coming off his deep read when it is not there. He has not been consistently willing to take what the defense gives him. 1-10 yard efficient and consistent completions are good. The idea is to move the ball and the best way to do that is to throw it where they aint thereby making the defense adjust to you.

We spent the first few years seeing that the defense knew Luck was going to try to get the ball deep. We had quite a bit of success with it at times but it also cost us at times because we didn't go underneath enough. Very little balance in the passing game

We did not have enough balance in the passing game. That wasn't solely because Bruce pushed Luck to go down field. Arians had some plays with underneath routes.....I believe it was Dustin or Superman that pointed it out to but I failed to see them at first do to me getting caught up in the excitement of the games. Luck just rarely ever gave them a look. Multiple times Whalen was open underneath or in the flat, As were RB's. Still Luck almost never looked there way.

When Luck shows the willingness to do that mixed with a passing attack that's built around creating mismatches and defenders in a position where they have to choose between 1 wr/te or the other at the expense of yards gained with either choice combined with a decent run game then the offense will then reach its full potential

Excellent post, Gavin.

5 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I thought Luck did this regularly??  It was a disastrous, tough year for the Colts last year including Luck.  Perhaps he was discouraged by all of it, it's anyone's guess. 

In my opinion he doesn't need to clean much up, just be smarter with the ball which will lead to more quality plays, a better completion % and less interceptions.  Looking for the smart play vs the kill play where he throws to a WR down field into double or triple coverage which ends up getting picked off vs looking for a quick dump off or even using his legs to get an extra 5-6 years safely.  Better coaching, scheme, and actually having a potentially better line facilitated by a possible (legitimate) center could make him much better which is a scary thought. . . . . . . . . for opposing teams.

I'm not really sure about mechanics but I heard on the radio that they are working on some basic things that may help him as well such footwork. 

We will be fine, 10-6 Division Champs.

On August 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I'm sure Chud noticed the Telegraphing this year 12 has  better Coach's around him & a offensive Coach who will make a difference in all things Luck .

Here is a good read if interested was just checking it out ..

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Rob-Chudzinski-Installing-Flexible-Attacking-Offense/41ad9e28-1e22-4942-a677-9d598991e0b

Well what we hope are better coaches.  Time will tell if they are or not.

I heard one of the local shows in Indy this week talking about Andrew and the guy said he asked Chud what he was working on Andrew with and one of the things he said was trying to get Luck to take what's there.  

What at the host explained that to mean was he thought at times Andrew would look at option A see it's open and then go well if I have that what's option B look like?  That would be covered and by the time he went back to A it wasn't open anymore.  He thinks what Chud wants is if Andrew sees A is open then take it without even looking at B.

Also Chud has made a big deal about Andrew's footwork.  The guy said the first couple of days you could see Andrew thinking too much out there but after a couple of days he said Andrew looked much more comfortable.  So I think no matter what happens it won't be from a lack of coaching and trying to get Andrew to learn new things.

59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brian Schottenheimer  Quarterbacks Coach 

Joe Philbin O-line Coach 

Rob Chudzinski  OC 

No hope this is  a guaranteed upgrade & yes time will tell all doubters that the Colts have emerged much better & this is just the offensive side of the ball which has always  thanks to Tom Moore Howard Mudd & Peyton Manning been the strength of our Colts now Andrew Luck has the coach's he needs to take the Colts to the next level . 

This is gonna be a year to remember we saw this with 18 now its 12's turn I have no doubt enjoy this year its gonna be awesome ..

6 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Joe Philbin O-line Coach 

Rob Chudzinski  OC 

No hope this is  a guaranteed upgrade & yes time will tell all doubters that the Colts have emerged much better & this is just the offensive side of the ball which has always  thanks to Tom Moore Howard Mudd & Peyton Manning been the strength of our Colts now Andrew Luck has the coach's he needs to take the Colts to the next level . 

This is gonna be a year to remember we saw this with 18 now its 12's turn I have no doubt enjoy this year its gonna be awesome ..

Look I think it's an upgrade too but more sure things have not panned out in the NFL before.

We won't honestly know until we see improvement in games.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look I think it's an upgrade too but more sure things have not panned out in the NFL before.

I agree we won't know until we see it in games but on paper, these coaching changes are a clear upgrade. Especially with Philibin.

OT: Andrew has had the propensity since he was a rookie to stare down his WR's, primarily the ones he is comfortable with (Reggie and then TY). Chud has been helping coach him out of this and I've personally seen Luck progress from the start of camp to now.

On 8/10/2016 at 11:26 PM, Gavin said:

Manning had that problem too. It took quite a few years before he learned to take what the defense gave him. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Coaching should make a difference.  But I think we had most of the same coaches in 2009 (SB) and 2010 that we did in 2011, right?

Great players (or in our case, Peyton Manning) makes good coaches look great.

What I saw from Andrew last year when he was on the field was indecisiveness. Its hard to know ifit was his own fault, offensive scheme, his health or lack of time to throw or what. But it sounds like they have been working with him on going with the first read if its open. Getting the ball out sooner. That has to be a good thing and the more he's able to complete to the first read the more that should open up his 2nd and 3rd options. JMO

9 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Joe Philbin O-line Coach 

Rob Chudzinski  OC 

Time does'nt need to tell as I stated above to the post below ..

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Google the resumes of the Coachs I brought to your attention .:applause:

I agree until we see actual games we don't know squat .  I'm  glad you now see the moves as a upgrade , The upgrades can't help but pan out givin the Coach's involved are a huge step up 

:hat: