Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jalen Ramsey suffers small meniscus tear in knee

krunk

I think what has the Jags scared and seeking a second opinion is the fact it is the same knee that he had the microfracture surgery in high school. They are scared this might be the start of a reccuring problem. This is the same reason, teams were scared off Jack. Any surgery can start degeneration in the joint, and it may take time to show. This is what the Jags want to make sure of. I hope the kid is all right. I want to win, but I don't wish anybody injuries. Caldwell even limited the teams activities after last year and Fowler's injury. I guess we can say the Colts are not the only ones with injury problems over the past few years.

Unfortunate for the Jags!!!  It looks like all that rediculous hype may take a simmer now. Another injury on the same leg for Ramsey, and Jack who will likely at some point in the future need another surgery. Two big pieces for them that now have big question marks as to whe they will be fully healthy again and if they will be able to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Surely this must have been known to teams prior to the draft? 

Possibly, but it was performed in high school.  He never missed a game in college. No red flag to go looking. So maybe it was something like this-

Doc-  Ever had major knee surgery?

Player - Nope.

Doc - Why the scar on your knee?

Player- Oh that?  Just a scope...

Hmmmm........

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Possibly, but it was performed in high school.  He never missed a game in college. No red flag to go looking. So maybe it was something like this-

Doc-  Ever had major knee surgery?

Player - Nope.

Doc - Why the scar on your knee?

Player- Oh that?  Just a scope...

Hmmmm........

I see what you're saying here.

Teams normally ask for access to medical records during the combine I thought? But then again as you say, no problems in college, they might not have thought to look back to HS.

17 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Initial reports are that he should be ok for TC... Very good prospect. 

We need to wait until further reports.  How they medically address the meniscus issue is dependent upon what/where etc. on the tear.

17 hours ago, krunk said:

And that is just the initial reports.  The official might be a different outlook, but hopefully he's able to play this year.

Second opinion will shed more light.  If they need to just trim the meniscus, 4-6 weeks recovery should do it for Ramsey. But long term prospects on it are worse.

If they have to stitch it up, 4-6 months recovery very likely.  Longer short term rehab, better long term viability.  But lack of blood supply, may not heal well.  And he had microfracture surgery before, so at a teenager age healing was fast, but fibrocartilege is never as good or as strong as the original.

8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's hard to imagine that they didn't know about this. Yet, I don't remember hearing anything on it. Admittedly, I didn't spend a whole lot of time digging into Ramsey's medical history...

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It's hard to imagine that they didn't know about this. Yet, I don't remember hearing anything on it. Admittedly, I didn't spend a whole lot of time digging into Ramsey's medical history...

Ramsey would've had full medicals done at the combine.

I think I heard/read that this is something that may have happened at the rookie mini-camp.

That makes the most sense,  doesn't it?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I heard/read that this is something that may have happened at the rookie mini-camp.

The meniscus injury occurred at minicamp.

I'm talking about the fact that Ramsey had microfracture surgery back in high school. I don't think they MRI players at the Combine unless they are aware of a pre-existing injury, and an MRI is the only way anyone would be able to detect a previous microfracture operation. They only make a couple of small incisions, which could be mostly/fully healed after 5-6 years, so even a visual inspection might not tip anyone off.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We need to wait until further reports.  How they medically address the meniscus issue is dependent upon what/where etc. on the tear.

Second opinion will shed more light.  If they need to just trim the meniscus, 4-6 weeks recovery should do it for Ramsey. But long term prospects on it are worse.

If they have to stitch it up, 4-6 months recovery very likely.  Longer short term rehab, better long term viability.  But lack of blood supply, may not heal well.  And he had microfracture surgery before, so at a teenager age healing was fast, but fibrocartilege is never as good or as strong as the original.

What I want to know is why a high school athlete needed microfracture. That would indicate a significant chondral defect, wouldn't it? That's concerning for such a young person to have that kind of cartilage issue.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The meniscus injury occurred at minicamp.

I'm talking about the fact that Ramsey had microfracture surgery back in high school. I don't think they MRI players at the Combine unless they are aware of a pre-existing injury, and an MRI is the only way anyone would be able to detect a previous microfracture operation. They only make a couple of small incisions, which could be mostly/fully healed after 5-6 years, so even a visual inspection might not tip anyone off.

So sorry.     I didn't see that portion of the thread and got confused.

For what it's worth,  this portion of the post made it sound like everyone knew of it,  even if fans like you and me did not....       Cutting and pasting....

Ramsey’s past microfracture surgery wasn’t viewed as a big deal heading into the draft because it happened long ago, during his sophomore year in high school. Ramsey was healthy enough in college that he started every game in all three of his seasons at Florida State.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, Folks knew, or should have.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12627947/florida-state-cornerback-jalen-ramsey-embracing-another-challenge

I'm not sure it should be seen as a everything is fine because he started 3 years at college type situation. @ColtsBlueFL will no doubt be able to shed light here, but correct me if I'm wrong is that with microfracture surgery we're talking about a condition that is going to be degenerative as time progresses. 

So when you've got Myles Jack sliding because teams are punting on that he might only give you 5 good years but then you have Ramsey who's already played 3 years on a post MF surgery knee it doesn't quite add up :dunno:.

18 hours ago, Superman said:

What I want to know is why a high school athlete needed microfracture. That would indicate a significant chondral defect, wouldn't it? That's concerning for such a young person to have that kind of cartilage issue.

It's a great question, one we may not know for awhile, if ever.  Nevertheless, whether his original injury was a accelerated via a congenital anomaly (in the bone, etc...), early degeneration, or just pure trauma, he has issues now.  Dr. James Andrews (I assume) will weigh in what the trauma is, and the methods to help correct it, and the long term effects thereafter.

How easy is it for kids/parents to forget {cough} about some medical history? {IOW, not disclose it}  Just how much medical info does the NFL/Combine extract from each potential draftee?  I do not know these things, but figure in to the puzzle. I still believe teams (some more than others} knew something was up on his knee, but since he was so injury free in college they didn't pursue it with the dogmatic diligence it now seems it may have deserved. In any event, that is water under the bridge and it is the near and long term future that is in focus.  He ha a tear, it needs fixed, it will have future implications.  The type of correction implemented will determine both the near and long term prognosis. 

I feel for the kid, and Jack as well.  Tunsil himself has pre-arthritic ankle.  Seems great players are coming in nicked up to begin their NFL careers.  But football is violent, and injuries happen.  We have a long way to go before game 1, and it is unfortunate, but the truth is there will be a good many more players suffer major medical issues before training camps close and the season begins.  But you can't put them in cocoons until the season either.  If you don't practice good football, you wont play good football.  It is what it will be.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

correct me if I'm wrong is that with microfracture surgery we're talking about a condition that is going to be degenerative as time progresses. 

/snarky attitude inserted/   Actually everything is degenerative as time progressessmiley-wink.gif  /snarky attitude in fun off/

TBH, I'm not one to know what type procedure to use and how to perform it etc ( the A)... I do usually know if A, then B is very likely.  If C, then D.

Remember, it's the cartilage that is of concern.  Bone on bone is very bad and quite painful.  Microfracture is one the procedures used to try to 'grow more cartilage' to repair areas that were damaged.  The cartilage is the shock absorber of our joints. Microfracture (and other procedures I pointed out elsewhere and below) is performed to significantly (hopefully) repair current damage and slow the further breakdown of the {damaged} cartilage.  But here is where I get your point above-  You are correct in that the Super Clot microfracture surgery forms produces a cartilage that is stiffer and not as strong as the original articular cartilage.  And some studies show a microfracture procedure never really covers all of the old cartilage defect either.  Could this have contributed to Ramsey's meniscus tear?  Possibly, I don't know- the orthopods do. We'll wait for the story from them. But what are the alternatives to microfracture procedures?

Osteochondral Autograft or Allograft Transfer System (OATS)

Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI)

Synthetic Scaffold Resurfacing

Stem Cells

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)

And there are some techniques currently only available in Europe. Folks can read up at their leisure if they so desire wish alternative techniques. I read once that microfracture is 75-80% successful at forming fibrocartilage, and yet it's still true not all athletes can ever return to 100% form.

I feel for these kids... not just now, but the painful life their knees may cause them later in life.

I expect to hear sometime soon Ramsey will just have the meniscus trimmed and only miss 4-6 weeks.  Full repair takes 4-6 months (no player wants that) recovery and poor blood supply to that area is not conducive to healing. 

He does not have an osteochondral defect like Jack, nor a peroneal nerve injury like Smith.  Could be a break for the Jags.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:10 AM, SteelCityColt said:

I must admit, as thorough as the medical part of the combine is, and all the leaks that come out, it is almost
unbelievable to me that no one talked about the microfracture surgery. NFL teams are seriously paranoid about injuries, and with good reasons. Maybe the effects of it are less when you are young and still developing? He has proved himself an incredible athlete.  Regardless though, any surgery should throw up red flags, and there was not one word about it. I wish I knew why?

It almost makes me wonder if the Jags knew about the surgery. Would you as a pro team draft your top two draft choices, at the spot they were drafted, if you knew about knee problems. I understand the Jack pick, but when you put them both together, makes me wonder.