Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's our #2 RB?

Just curious who we think is going to take over the #2 spot? Obviously Gore is the starter, but we have Robert Turbin, Tyler Varga, Jordan Todman, and Trey Williams on the roster. I've also seen some people who are high on Josh Ferguson. 

What's your prediction for who gets the snaps behind Gore?

As of now Turbin...but I'm thinking the coaching staff has open thoughts about the #2 back..if someone was too have a better training camp and preseason, i think the staff wouldn't hesitate to drop Turbin down the depth chart..although i think turbin will make the roster and get carries still.

Turbin will probably keep the backup role but it will be interesting to see who takes the third spot out of Todman, Varga, and Ferguson. Whoever makes the roster may end up getting playing time if Turbin doesn't produce.

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

Turbin. though if healthy I think Varga can win the #2 job. But I think Varga will be Returning for the most part unless Turbin gets injured behind Gore

why would varga be returning? bray did a great job last season

Turbin was used to running behind a line that wasn't all that great and I thought he did a good job.  Imo, we should have a better line than he is used to, so I think he will do well.  Everybody roots for Varga including me and I think everyone realizes that Ferguson is a scat back that we don't currently have and that would be nice to have.

I did a 53 roster projection and I have our running backs being gore turbin and ferguson. varga will go to the PS. varga did a nice job last year, but his skillset is no different to that of gore and turbin. I think ferguson can add a different dimension to our offense. He can be a really dangerous weapon on third down kinda like dion lewis last year. gore is a great runner and pass blocker, but doesn't provide much of a threat catching the ball.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

He was 17th in Kick Return average with 27.1. Of 24 Punt Returners with 20 Punt Returns only 7 have a worse average

Of those same 24 Punt returners 11 have more 20+ yards than he does

Of those same 24 Punt Returners 13 have at least 1 40 yard run...Bray had 0

He had the same 27.1 Kick Return average as Griff Whalen. He had .8 more yards per Punt Return then Griff....7.9 (Bray).....7.1 (Griff)....Bray really wasn't much of an upgrade if at all. The biggest difference is Griff fumbled twice and Bray did not fumble and Bray did not fair catch as much as much as Griff

I just think Varga will be in the running as a Kick Returner or Punt Returner if healthy. Quan Bray had 42 total returns count Kick and Punt Returners...I could see Pagano wanting to cut that down a bit and have him split the load between duties

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

He was 17th in Kick Return average with 27.1. Of 24 Punt Returners with 20 Punt Returns only 7 have a worse average

Of those same 24 Punt returners 11 have more 20+ yards than he does

Of those same 24 Punt Returners 13 have at least 1 40 yard run...Bray had 0

He had the same 27.1 Kick Return average as Griff Whalen. He had .8 more yards per Punt Return then Griff....7.9 (Bray).....7.1 (Griff)....Bray really wasn't much of an upgrade if at all. The biggest difference is Griff fumbled twice and Bray did not fumble and Bray did not fair catch as much as much as Griff

I just think Varga will be in the running as a Kick Returner or Punt Returner if healthy. Quan Bray had 42 total returns count Kick and Punt Returners...I could see Pagano wanting to cut that down a bit and have him split the load between duties

You do realize stats never tell the whole story. Bray was electric and could actually get past the 20 yard line. 

Hoping Varga, he really never got a chance to fire on all cylinders due to that injury, if he comes back healthy and stays healthy he could be dangerous. Would also like to see Anthrop make it through camp and onto team as returner, the boy can flat out fly!!!

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You do realize stats never tell the whole story. Bray was electric and could actually get past the 20 yard line. 

Of course stats don't tell he whole story but the right stats tell a big chunk of the story. Im not sure how many times Bray got past the 20, If you can find that stat go for it. What I do know is the stats I posted and their wasn't a big difference and that Bray was for the most part middle of the pack

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Of course stats don't tell he whole story but the right stats tell a big chunk of the story. Im not sure how many times Bray got past the 20, If you can find that stat go for it. What I do know is the stats I posted and their wasn't a big difference and that Bray was for the most part middle of the pack

From PFF

Quan Bray had the third-highest grade among kick returners, despite playing only nine games. His punt return resume includes returns of 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, 19, 20, and 33 yards.

16 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Just curious who we think is going to take over the #2 spot? Obviously Gore is the starter, but we have Robert Turbin, Tyler Varga, Jordan Todman, and Trey Williams on the roster. I've also seen some people who are high on Josh Ferguson. 

What's your prediction for who gets the snaps behind Gore?

We're gonna trade for Trich now that he's lost weight...

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Varga is a RB,  and Bray is a WR.      Why do you make it sound like they're vying for the same roster spot?      Right now Bray is our 4th WR and we will carry at least 5.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Varga is a RB,  and Bray is a WR.      Why do you make it sound like they're vying for the same roster spot?      Right now Bray is our 4th WR and we will carry at least 5.

Um we were talking about kick returning

Robert Turbin has some potential. He's averaged over 4 YPC every year but I think 1. He just didn't get many carries behind Beast Mode in Seattle. I could actually see him having a breakout season since I feel we're finally going to have a top tier O-Line. But Josh Ferguson, IMO is definitely going to make the 53. He's probably never gonna be a feature back, but I can see him being a very valuable number 2. So its between Ferguson and Turbin IMO. We'll probably carry 4 RB's and that 4th spot will be a battle between Todman, Varga, and Williams. Ferguson can give us everything, and probably more than Trey Williams can so most likely Todman or Varga. I'm pulling for Varga. But we need Gore to have a good year. He needs to average over 4 YPC. I'd love to see him around 4.5. I still think its a shame we didn't draft one of the RB's who fell to the 4th-5th round. IMO Kenneth Dixon is going to be a 3 down feature back and we could've had him.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Um we were talking about kick returning

OK.....   sorry, didn't notice that's what you're talking about. 

The thread is about who is likely going to be the back-up RB.     That's what I thought we were talking about.

My bad.....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....   sorry, didn't notice that's what you're talking about. 

The thread is about who is likely going to be the back-up RB.     That's what I thought we were talking about.

My bad.....

No problem :thmup:

9 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Hoping Varga, he really never got a chance to fire on all cylinders due to that injury, if he comes back healthy and stays healthy he could be dangerous. Would also like to see Anthrop make it through camp and onto team as returner, the boy can flat out fly!!!

Varga has allott of "want to" in him. Every snap is 100% with this kid. Hope he can stay healthy, because he doesn't shy from contact. 

Don't sleep on Todman.  He never seems to be as good of an athlete as his competition but somehow always comes ahead.  

I'll say this though whomever wins the 2nd and 3rd spot will do good behind this shiny new oline :)

On 5/8/2016 at 1:29 PM, CR91 said:

From PFF

Quan Bray had the third-highest grade among kick returners, despite playing only nine games. His punt return resume includes returns of 11, 15, 16, 17, 19, 19, 20, and 33 yards.

I think he also had a couple big returns called back for team penalties didn't he?