Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did I hear that Courtney Upshaw was in for a visit. Any word on this?

coltsfansince65

Interesting tidbits-

"The No. 35 overall pick in the 2012 draft never developed into the pass rusher the Ravens hoped. In four seasons the linebacker compiled a mere five sacks.

Upshaw is a run-stuffer off the edge with minimal pass rushing ability and would fill a rotational role if he sticks with the Jets."

His first visit is scheduled with the Jets, though.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

He'd most likely be a solid Walden replacement. Great edge setter.

read that he's been connected to the Colts all through free agency.

maybe he's weighing his options or maybe things with the Colts fell through.

If the guy is a similar player like Walden, I'd leverage Walden to take a pay cut or sign the younger kid to a cheaper contract. I do like what Walden has given us at the edge though but you would have a chance to get a little younger and maybe the guy breaks out in year 5? Who knows. I'm fine if we pass also. 

16 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If the guy is a similar player like Walden, I'd leverage Walden to take a pay cut or sign the younger kid to a cheaper contract. I do like what Walden has given us at the edge though but you would have a chance to get a little younger and maybe the guy breaks out in year 5? Who knows. I'm fine if we pass also. 

After a disappointing first season for the Colts, Walden has had two pretty good years for us.

If you "leverage him to take a payout" then you risk ruining the locker-room that the Colts work hard to create.

Players will think you're out to screw them every chance you get.

They can deal with restructured deals like what we did with Jones and Cole because neither of those guys performed.       Players can understand that.      But once you start messing with guys who have performed well for you simply because you can -- then the team is heading for trouble.

Just another viewpoint to consider.....

2 hours ago, twfish said:

To me he's equivalent to Bjorn 

He's more similar to Walden.  Good run stuffer, but doesn't provide much as a pass rusher.  In fact, I'd make the case Walden is a better pass rusher than Upshaw.  Upshaw's game is all about stopping the run.  He can't really pass rush

I think we need a speed rusher.  Walden is good at what he does.  I think Mathis may be better but last season he didn't seem true to form.  

At this point, I'd like to see us draft Leonard Floyd/OLB/UGA and use FA's for the line for now.  I'm not sure what other OLB's are available and whether or not they'd be an upgrade

48 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I think we need a speed rusher.  Walden is good at what he does.  I think Mathis may be better but last season he didn't seem true to form.  

At this point, I'd like to see us draft Leonard Floyd/OLB/UGA and use FA's for the line for now.  I'm not sure what other OLB's are available and whether or not they'd be an upgrade

They say the colts might be interested in drafting him they met with him the other day

23 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Interesting tidbits-

"The No. 35 overall pick in the 2012 draft never developed into the pass rusher the Ravens hoped. In four seasons the linebacker compiled a mere five sacks.

Upshaw is a run-stuffer off the edge with minimal pass rushing ability and would fill a rotational role if he sticks with the Jets."

His first visit is scheduled with the Jets, though.

Sounds an awful lot like Werner..... Pass.....

As an avid Bama fan, I can say that the LBs that come out of there are not generally elite pass rushers. Saban's defensive MO at Bama has been to have big bruisers on the D-line that get a good push up front. That makes a pass rush around the edge much more effective. If you watch them, the push is primary, then the corners or the linebackers come in and reap the reward of a sack. So looking at Bama players like Upshaw for an elite edge rusher is not a sure thing and it can be deceiving.

Having said that, how about we get on board with that philosophy and get some dominating D-linemen and watch out pass rush become that much more dangerous?