Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Peyton Retire As A Colt or a Bronco?

LucasOilStadium

Hi, Colts fans! :)   When Peyton Manning receives word that he is accepted to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame in Canton, Ohio at least five years from now, will he announce if he will retire as an Indianapolis Colt, or a Denver Bronco?  He has helped give both teams and cities Super Bowl Championships, and he has respectable relationships with both Jim Irsay and John Elway, along with Pat Bowlen and his family.  Thanks.  

Just now, Shafty138 said:

well, since he announced it still employed by DEN.....I'm guessing maybe as a Bronco?

Looks like it.  Oh well, I guess it's really not that big of a deal, either way.  From his perspective, it was the Colts' decision to let him go, not his.  So I can see why he'd retire as a Bronco.  He's a loyal guy.

That certainly doesn't diminish what he meant to Indianapolis and the Colts franchise, though.

Really doesn't matter to me. As long as he shows up for the Ring of Honor intro which he will IMO. He will get his jersey retired and Irsay will have a statue built for him to honor him IMO. So it's all good to me. He will always be remembered more for being a Colt regardless because he jump started a decade of Great football here in Indianapolis when were a bad team prior to him coming to Indy. He won 4 of his MVP's here and his only SB MVP here as well. 

I'm gonna be honest here. Since Indy drafted him under the Irsay/Polian regime, Manning will always be a Colt to me. I do appreciate the supreme athletic talent Elway always surrounded Peyton with though. I can't dismiss that either. 

Here what fascinates me though: Does Peyton psychologically want to stick it to Jimmy for releasing him from Indianapolis & basically inferring that 18 wasn't capable of winning SB hardware anymore? 

Yeah, I know Jimmy paid Manning's full salary in 2011 when he wasn't mandated to do so which was noble on his part. I just think that given Jimmy's pattern of opening the LOS roof as a Broncos QB from an AFC rival now & basically implying that 18 was washed up & damaged HOF goods in 2012 that Peyton prefers to highlight his Denver ties now as opposed to his Hoosier State ones at this moment. 

Then again #4 was embraced with open arms back in GB too so time does heal all wounds eventually.  

That's what I love about professional sports...The mental mind games people play both in maintaining grudges & crushing opponents or others who doubted your strength & resolve. 

Peyton is in an odd position (one I'd like to be in with all of that money he made).  He would retire a Bronco, but his best years weren't there, in my opinion.  Denver liked having him but he wasn't loved there like he was loved here.  None of that matters when it comes to contracts etc.  

Peyton won the SB for Indy but he didn't necessarily win it for Denver.  The defense did. His time in Denver would be closer to  Trent Dilfer than it would be to a Joe Montana or John Elway.  In addition, he missed several games.  

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

Peyton is in an odd position (one I'd like to be in with all of that money he made).  He would retire a Bronco, but his best years weren't there, in my opinion.  Denver liked having him but he wasn't loved there like he was loved here.  None of that matters when it comes to contracts etc.  

Peyton won the SB for Indy but he didn't necessarily win it for Denver.  The defense did. His time in Denver would be closer to  Trent Dilfer than it would be to a Joe Montana or John Elway.  In addition, he missed several games.  

Frankly he didn't have much to do with our winning our Super Bowl either.... our two running backs and Bob Sanders led Defense won that Super Bowl.  Manning did NOT deserve the MVP on any level for that game.  It was a career achievement award and he knows it as well as anyone who watched the game. 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Frankly he didn't have much to do with our winning our Super Bowl either.... our two running backs and Bob Sanders led Defense won that Super Bowl.  Manning did NOT deserve the MVP on any level for that game.  It was a career achievement award and he knows it as well as anyone who watched the game. 

Frankly we would have never reached a super bowl without Manning. Manning had a direct impact in the super bowl win by calling the running plays when he could have been a gun slinger as he had in the past. I do get the point of the running game could have got the MVP but you could have also said the defense had a big hand in it too. The super bowl was a total team win with Manning being the leader, so he did get the MVP.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Frankly we would have never reached a super bowl without Manning. Manning had a direct impact in the super bowl win by calling the running plays when he could have been a gun slinger as he had in the past. I do get the point of the running game could have got the MVP but you could have also said the defense had a big hand in it too. The super bowl was a total team win with Manning being the leader, so he did get the MVP.

Nicely put CC1. Not a lot of QBs even sniff a SB, let alone play in 4 of them & win 2. Besides, Peyton was exceptional in the regular season for numerous years &, if your team doesn't win their division frequently, there are no playoff games to participate in on route to a SB appearance either. 2011 proved how significant 18 was to INDY's success when we lost his services that year & just unraveled. 

I agree with you 100% CC1. 

40 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I seem to recall that both INDY & Chicago faced adversity in the rain & Peyton didn't turn the ball over like Rex Grossman did. Career Achievement Award my caboose! 

The conditions were even & Peyton never fumbled handing the ball off either, which matters. Yes, Sanders played a vital role in that victory sure, but let's not act like Peyton was carried. Utter nonsense & you know it JPK. 

Joseph Addai had 77 yards rushing and 66 yards receiving.  Joe Addai had 113 yards rushing and 8 yards receiving plus a rushing touchdown.  Manning had 1 passing TD, 1 INT and the team had 239 total yards passing.  Those QB stats did not justify an MVP.  What should have happened was the two RB's should have shared it, but they had no chance with Manning in the game.  Manning underperformed in the playoffs that whole run I think.  Let's look: 

Manning versus Kansas City Chiefs: 268 yards passing, 1 TD and 3 INTS

Manning versus Baltimore Ravens 170 yards passing, 0 TD's and 2 INTS.

Manning versus New England Patriots 349 yards passing, 1 TD and 1 INT

Manning versus Chicago Bears 239 yards passing 1 TD and 1 INT

That is not a stellar run in the post season.  It's mediocrity at best.  3TD's and 7INT's.  

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Joseph Addai had 77 yards rushing and 66 yards receiving.  Joe Addai had 113 yards rushing and 8 yards receiving plus a rushing touchdown.  Manning had 1 passing TD, 1 INT and the team had 239 total yards passing.  Those QB stats did not justify an MVP.  What should have happened was the two RB's should have shared it, but they had no chance with Manning in the game.  Manning underperformed in the playoffs that whole run I think.  Let's look: 

That is not a stellar run in the post season.  It's mediocrity at best.  3TD's and 7INT's.

8 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Do you honestly think SB winning teams whip out stat sheets in the locker room & argue tooth & nail over who gets the keys to a new car? No, I would guess that everybody in that locker room remembers who brought them to the Promiseland when the season started all the way back to training camp. 

Your information is impressive, but if the SB MVP was a life time achievement award as you suggest, wouldn't it stand to reason then that Manning not Miller be bestowed with this honor way back in early February then? Except that never transpired did it? Which tells me players on a SB roster don't give a crap about stats just intelligence, tenacity, & consistency doing just enough to win games. 

17 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I seem to recall that both INDY & Chicago faced adversity in the rain & Peyton didn't turn the ball over like Rex Grossman did. Career Achievement Award my caboose! 

Sure it wasn't a typical manning performance but he diagnosed the defense and called the right plays to help us win. He checked to runs...checked down to short dump offs...took care of the ball in a pouring rain and yes hit Wayne on a bomb Td after avoiding the rush. He did EXACTLY what we needed in that game. The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays and force it under neath and Peyton picked it apart with runs and short passes. It's impossible to say what would have happened under another qb in that game but having Peyton driving the bus had to have a calming effect on everyone else and allowed everyone else to just do their job knowing if they did Peyton would find a way to win it. Besides we all know the real championship was won two weeks before when Peyton orchestrated that come from behind win against NE. Beating the Bears was just finishing the job. Great team win led by our great QB.

As for Peyton retiring a Colt or Bronco he will go into the HOF as both. He will certainly honor both teams and a lot will be the Colts but certainly honor the Broncos for believing in him when many didn't. It was hard watching him break most of his records in orange but we certainly got the best seat watching him for more than a dozen years at his prime to put himself in position to break them. 

Personally I think we already had our Peyton retirement press conference when he left us all in tears with the most well written and touching going away speech I've heard in many many years. When he said it was an honor and that he will always be OUR Qb I believed him and I will be honest I choked up a bit. That's goodbye enough for me. He'll say his goodbye to Denver now and as long as we honor him in the ring that's all that I can expect. I'll be happy....not as happy as watching 18 every Sunday but happy knowing it had the right ending to a great career.

16 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I said the season. I did not make my comment to argue or debate about. You have your take, I have mine. It's always the same. The QB gets the glory and he also gets the blame.

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Do you honestly think SB winning teams whip out stat sheets in the locker room & argue tooth & nail over who gets the keys to a new car? No, I would guess that everybody in that locker room remembers who brought them to the Promiseland when the season started all the way back to training camp. 

Your information is impressive, but if the SB MVP was a life time achievement award as you suggest, wouldn't it stand to reason then that Manning not Miller be bestowed with this honor way back in early February then? Except that never transpired did it? Which tells me players on a SB roster don't give a crap about stats just intelligence, tenacity, & consistency doing just enough to win games. 

You suggested Manning was the reason they made the Super Bowl.  The Defense and Bob Sander's leadership of it have a better claim in my opinion.  A playoff run where your QB has 3TD's and 7INT's in a 4 game stretch does not suggest intelligence, tenacity and consistency by any stretch.  Come on.. you're a Manning fan obviously, but it's been pretty common acceptance that he got that MVP not for his game performance, but for something OTHER than that one game performance even though it's supposed to be based on that ONE GAME.   So you're sort of admitting that he got it for the regular season which got them into the playoffs (as a lower than normal seed because it was a bad year based on their previous runs) and in each playoff game, someone else stood up and won the game.   The SB it was a combination of our two RB's having their best dual performance and Bob Sanders leading our Defense throughout the playoffs since he'd been injured earlier in the year.  Manning got plenty of Reg Season MVP's to honor his amazing best regular season QB play in history time and again... he got the Super Bowl MVP perhaps for getting the monkey off his back, but he didn't win the game for them.  

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure it wasn't a typical manning performance but he diagnosed the defense and called the right plays to help us win. He checked to runs...checked down to short dump offs...took care of the ball in a pouring rain and yes hit Wayne on a bomb Td after avoiding the rush. He did EXACTLY what we needed in that game. The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays and force it under neath and Peyton picked it apart with runs and short passes. It's impossible to say what would have happened under another qb in that game but having Peyton driving the bus had to have a calming effect on everyone else and allowed everyone else to just do their job knowing if they did Peyton would find a way to win it. Besides we all know the real championship was won two weeks before when Peyton orchestrated that come from behind win against NE. Beating the Bears was just finishing the job. Great team win led by our great QB.

As for Peyton retiring a Colt or Bronco he will go into the HOF as both. He will certainly honor both teams and a lot will be the Colts but certainly honor the Broncos for believing in him when many didn't. It was hard watching him break most of his records in orange but we certainly got the best seat watching him for more than a dozen years at his prime to put himself in position to break them. 

Personally I think we already had our Peyton retirement press conference when he left us all in tears with the most well written and touching going away speech I've heard in many many years. When he said it was an honor and that he will always be OUR Qb I believed him and I will be honest I choked up a bit. That's goodbye enough for me. He'll say his goodbye to Denver now and as long as we honor him in the ring that's all that I can expect. I'll be happy....not as happy as watching 18 every Sunday but happy knowing it had the right ending to a great career.

That is a fair point to make. If Grossman wasn't our opposing QB, it's hard to say what the final result might have been against Rogers say from GB. 

Yeah, that final press conference in INDY was like our farewell to him as a Midwestern fan base...No longer running the show here anymore. 

True, knowing when to check in & out of runs was crucial to our success in Miami back in 2006. Peyton deserves credit for his wet ball security that night too. 

29 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

You suggested Manning was the reason they made the Super Bowl.  The Defense and Bob Sander's leadership of it have a better claim in my opinion.  A playoff run where your QB has 3TD's and 7INT's in a 4 game stretch does not suggest intelligence, tenacity and consistency by any stretch.  Come on.. you're a Manning fan obviously, but it's been pretty common acceptance that he got that MVP not for his game performance, but for something OTHER than that one game performance even though it's supposed to be based on that ONE GAME.   So you're sort of admitting that he got it for the regular season which got them into the playoffs (as a lower than normal seed because it was a bad year based on their previous runs) and in each playoff game, someone else stood up and won the game.   The SB it was a combination of our two RB's having their best dual performance and Bob Sanders leading our Defense throughout the playoffs since he'd been injured earlier in the year.  Manning got plenty of Reg Season MVP's to honor his amazing best regular season QB play in history time and again... he got the Super Bowl MVP perhaps for getting the monkey off his back, but he didn't win the game for them.  

No, what I said was the weather conditions were even for both QBs, Grossman fumbled a lot, Manning didn't. 

I always said that Manning's regular season success gave our team multiple opportunities to win our division & compete for more SB appearances. If you wanna claim Sanders was our savior fine, but our lack of defensive prowess fails squarely on Polian's shoulders not Peyton's. That's got nothing to do with being a Manning apologist. Just look at how many games Peyton won late in the 4th QTR of 2009. 

I also said the praise for a QB is based on what they do in the regular season to give a squad the best shot at a ring year after year too. Solid RB's are only as good as the best possible spot your QB puts you in games by manipulating LBs, DBs, & safeties. Speed & quickness only gets a team so far athletically speaking. Let's be real here. 

Besides, other than Lawrence Taylor & Terrell Davis in recent memory, you'd be hard pressed to find SB MVP winners that are not QBs on average. I think Ray Lewis won it in 2000 with the Ravens JPF. Don't blame the system or protocol, players select who they think is most worthy in their eyes. 

There's a time and place for everything. This thread wasn't intended to focus on one game....its to discuss whether he will retire a Colt or Bronco from what I gather the OP is getting at. Everything else is just derailing the thread and honestly can be argued discussed in a different thread. The significance of his announcement and his meaning to both franchises deserves its own thread and to keep it focused on his retirement plans announcement. Like I said I'm happy with how he left us. It was touching and honestly heart felt. I don't need anything more. I'm sure he will say something about his time here when he retires but he should do it in Denver. They deserve their own good bye. He will have his own ring of honor ceremony to thank us and say a final goodbye I'm sure. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There's a time and place for everything. This thread wasn't intended to focus on one game....its to discuss whether he will retire a Colt or Bronco from what I gather the OP is getting at. Everything else is just derailing the thread and honestly can be argued discussed in a different thread. The significance of his announcement and his meaning to both franchises deserves its own thread and to keep it focused on his retirement plans announcement. Like I said I'm happy with how he left us. It was touching and honestly heart felt. I don't need anything more. I'm sure he will say something about his time here when he retires but he should do it in Denver. They deserve their own good bye. He will have his own ring of honor ceremony to thank us and say a final goodbye I'm sure. 

Well said.

Outside of Colts and Broncos fans, no one cares. In fact, there are some Broncos fans who are happy this thing is over with, given the dismal play of Peyton this last season.

The sum of a body of work is what people are grateful for. Outside Peyton, I can only think of 1 peer QB, which is Brady, that has had a better body of work than him. 

Retiring with a laundry, there will be plenty of time for him to think about. All we need to do right now is wish him well with whatever he chooses to do next.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Not unless he signs a one day contract as a Colt. Press conference is in Denver. Colts should retire #18 with Ring of Honor. 

Colts will retire his #18 and put him in Ring of Honor and will build a statue for him I have no doubt. He is currently with the Broncos so he has to just retire at this point in Denver.

13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That is a fair point to make. If Grossman wasn't our opposing QB, it's hard to say what the final result might have been against Rogers say from GB. 

Yeah, that final press conference in INDY was like our farewell to him as a Midwestern fan base...No longer running the show here anymore. 

True, knowing when to check in & out of runs was crucial to our success in Miami back in 2006. Peyton deserves credit for his wet ball security that night too. 

That's what people who either hadn't watched the Colts play in those years, or those who go off of stat sheets only say.

Manning ran the offense in a way no other QB had to.   For as good as Tom Moore was, he was never a play caller throughout a game.  

The defense on those Colts teams was horrible.   Manning was many times in a position where he had to try to score on every drive.   Not able to play it safe to fight the next drive was a tough position.