Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if its peytons last rodeo....

bap1331

What are the chances he will come to the colts to coach? We know he loves football and his only 2 choices would be to coach osweiler or luck because oc for both teams are already filled.

Other than that, his choices are analyst or a stay at home dad (probably best choice, I think that's his intention) analyst is part time but it would mean he would move to la or new York which I don't see compared to being full time coach.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0.  I think if he does anything like that it will be a front office job of some kind but I think he's looking more into ownership of some kind.  His wife already owns part of the Grizzles.  

Also so for all the people who want to hire Peyton Manning that probably means the Colts would have to fire Peyton one day.  The Colts did that once and I doubt Irsay wants to relive that.

41 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

What are the chances he will come to the colts to coach? We know he loves football and his only 2 choices would be to coach osweiler or luck because oc for both teams are already filled.

Other than that, his choices are analyst or a stay at home dad (probably best choice, I think that's his intention) analyst is part time but it would mean he would move to la or new York which I don't see compared to being full time coach.

Odds are better that Peyton will be playing for Houston or the LA Rams next year than they are that he'd EVER come to Indianapolis as a coach.

We fired him, remember?

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Odds are better that Peyton will be playing for Houston or the LA Rams next year than they are that he'd EVER come to Indianapolis as a coach.

We fired him, remember?

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

haha Mark....  I heard Archie say something similar over the weekend.   I was surprised at his "wording"  to be quite honest.

42 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

0.  I think if he does anything like that it will be a front office job of some kind but I think he's looking more into ownership of some kind.  His wife already owns part of the Grizzles.  

Also so for all the people who want to hire Peyton Manning that probably means the Colts would have to fire Peyton one day.  The Colts did that once and I doubt Irsay wants to relive that.

I personally think that Peyton would never give Irsay  the chance to ever do that again .  Just my opinion on this matter. 

21 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Why would a layer of his caliber making 20+ million a year or whatever he makes take a job that pays less than a million a year and work 80 hours a week make sense to you????

seriously let the guy retire and relax 

Because he loves football...and if we were to have a situation where all 3 quarterbacks go down, peyton would play...logic

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We fired him, remember?

Well, Jeff fisher does like peyton. Firing him didn't mean anything. He said it himself "my heart will always be with indianapolis..."

2 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Well, Jeff fisher does like peyton. Firing him didn't mean anything. He said it himself "my heart will always be with indianapolis..."

Firing him means a ton, don't kid yourself.  I think Peyton has a iot of pride and he wont work for the Colts again

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Firing him means a ton, don't kid yourself.  I think Peyton has a iot of pride and he wont work for the Colts again

It does but not everybody holds a grudge. Peyton did tell irsay he would be stupid if he didn't pick up luck.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

That's the part I was referring to in my earlier post.  I was surprised to hear Archie use the word Fired,  but it is what it is.   To me that was pretty "telling" on how the family views this.

8 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

haha Mark....  I heard Archie say something similar over the weekend.   I was surprised at his "wording"  to be quite honest.

I was surprised by that, too.

But the LA rams want to resstablish themselves in that market. They have a solid defense. They just need a  QB. Fisher does have very high regard for Peyton.

I'm not sure Peyton WANTS to play another year but I think he'd like to have freedom, to run HIS offense one more time.

I think Houston will beg Peyton to play. I'd hate to see him in the AFC South, though

16 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

Because he loves football...and if we were to have a situation where all 3 quarterbacks go down, peyton would play...logic

please tell me this was a joke...because if not...that logic is hilariously wrong.  It literally made me laugh out loud.

11 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

That's the part I was referring to in my earlier post.  I was surprised to hear Archie use the word Fired,  but it is what it is.   To me that was pretty "telling" on how the family views this.

I misunderstood you, Mrs Misunderstood!!

But you are right. For Archie to say it that way sure does suggests that he wont be signing any kind of contract with the Colts again.

It also gives a peek into how Peyton's talks with Joh  Elway will go after the season ends. I dont think Elway releases Peyton if he wants to play another year.   They would keep him for a 'farewell tour' (only if they win Sunday) or he would be dealt to Houston or the Rams. 

Elway's not going to do to Peyton what Irsay did, even though both would be/were justified financially

Really wouldn't surprise me if he takes a couple years off with his kids (maybe). Peyton is a great fan of the state of Tennessee, obviously. And the state is a great fan of Peyton. Literally. I could see him doing something there with the Titans eventually. Partial and/or full owner of the Titans someday. Broadcasting, a huge possibility. But whatever Peyton decides, I'd like to think he would keep very close to the heart & soul of his passion, the NFL.

8 minutes ago, MR. Blueblood said:

You mean this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum in many many many other threads that it need yet another thread to discuss it?

It's the off-season for us.  We have only a few subjects to discuss, so they get re-wordefd a bit and then get rolled out as a new thread.  Nothing unusual going on here.  haha.

Personally, I think he stays with the kids and does a few commercials and may even get an acting appearance or two.  I think he will stay out of the NFL on a full-time basis for a few years.

3 hours ago, bap1331 said:

The analysts, at least the Sunday pre-game show ones like Bradshaw, Johnson and Long, live in different parts of the country and fly in to the studio on the weekends.

3 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I never understood the Peyton as coach argument.  

Me either. I love Peyton as much as anybody, but...

1. There's no guarantee he would even be a good coach. As smart as he is he would have a good shot being a good coach but he could also suck. Nobody knows.

2. I don't think he wants to have a chance to be fired again by Indy as others stated above.

5 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Oh,  for the love of God!          :facepalm:

If this is what passes for logic these days then this country is headed for terrible times ahead.....         :thmdown:

Once Peyton is retired,  the chances that he comes back out of retirement to fill in because all 3 QB's go down are Slim and None and Slim is riding out of town.... :peek:

All this talk about Manning being fired by the Colts is overblown. We all know why Manning was cut as we have all have read about this too many times to count. Least we forget that Manning was paid pretty well for his time here? No to mention he was paid a huge chunk of change for a full year on the biggest contract In history after signing a contract while being hurt. Irsay made him the highest paid player in history and Manning took the money not knowing what the future would bring. So it's a two way street on what the Colts did to Manning.

4 hours ago, coltsva said:

The analysts, at least the Sunday pre-game show ones like Bradshaw, Johnson and Long, live in different parts of the country and fly in to the studio on the weekends.

I've always wondered if they ever get claustrophobic with that table growing every year as another person retires. All I know if peyton or brady retired and became analysts, everyone on that table would be fired.

Peyton and brady on the pregame show arguing. Lol!

Where do these delusional ideas that Manning is going to come back to the the Colts (or any team) and be a coach keep coming from??? ... This is never going to happen; people need to let this crazy idea die.

If Manning comes back to the NFL it will be as an owner or maybe as a broadcaster or spokesperson. 

13 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I don't see it.  Peyton doesn't seem the coaching type.  

Theres a reason the TOP players don't coach after retirement. I think Peyton would get frustrated by players who don't have the drive and commitment.  Type A's like that can't understand anything but 200% effort.  Mike Singletary is the perfect example.

i see Peyton going into broadcasting before coaching.

i could see ownership or a gm role, but coaching?.....no.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

All this talk about Manning being fired by the Colts is overblown. We all know why Manning was cut as we have all have read about this too many times to count. 

I agree with this.  My only comment on this earlier in the thread was that I was surprised that Archie used that wording when discussing it. :dunno:     I said I thought that was pretty "telling" on how he and the family viewed his release.   Archie said this while praising Denver for giving Peyton the opportunity to do what he's done there.

In the end, it really doesn't matter and doesn't change his time and accomplishments as a Colt.  As Nadine said, there were some pretty amazing days and years with him being a Colt.  Nothing changes that.

Not wanting to start a new thread, since there are so many, but I thought this was one of those  "feel good" stories worth sharing.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rice/article/Ex-Rice-receiver-Jordan-Taylor-gets-treat-from-6795610.php

Jordan Taylor hasn't played in a reguar-season or playoff game for the Denver Broncos this season.

But the Rice product has played a key role behind the scenes on the practice squad, working with quarterback Peyton Manning while he was sidelined with a foot injury this season both after practice and before games. 

Longtime Broncos beat writer Mike Klis even called Taylor "Manning's favorite private receiver." And with Manning making a successful return to the Broncos' lineup to lead them to the No. 1 seed and second Super Bowl berth in three years, he apparently didn't forget Taylor's contributions.

Peyton Manning had Jordan Taylor, his pregame receiver, fitted for a custom suit. Then he paid for it. Pretty cool.

4 hours ago, Nadine said:

I don't think he'll come back and coach.  But, I'd like to see him come back and be put into the ring of honor.  Those were some amazing days and that's something that we can all agree on.

I am not as good a man as Peyton Manning is. If I were him, I would never set foot in the Colt's stadium again unless he decides to keep playing and returns there as a player. I wouldn't attend any ceremony or have anything to do with them. The Colts made their decision and many people think it was the right decision but I would say, live with it, I'm not coming back.

It was always my opinion that some day 18 would start his coaching career with the Colts .

That was before he went to Denver now I can just hope we see him on our sidelines some day holding a clip board .

I wish him the best & hope he retires a Colt ..

As far as being fired that is an oversimplification of a very serious issue who new if 18 could be 18 once again ?

Age , injury are things to consider  plus although he stayed healthy who would have wanted to see Peyton Manning hurt no one obviously & that was a real concern had he been injured & carried off the field in LOS that IMO is a memory no one would want ,

Him playing in another SB is awesome for any 18 fan lets enjoy his last ride hes doing it his way ..

Peyton & Irsay have grown up in the football world they understand the business better than any of use could ever & I don't believe there are any hard feelings I just don't believe Peyton Manning is that kind of person .

Irsay at 1 time proclaimed he wanted both Luck & Manning & I bought into that idea I liked it he was telling us what we wanted to hear at some point reality kicked in had he done what he as a fan wanted our team would have paid dearly & in my opinion not done as good as they have done .So

Peyton Manning is & always will be very special to all Colts fans  including there biggest Jim Irsay who IMO had to make a business decision as an owner & not a fan .

18 was given an opportunity by the Broncos  to play in 2 SB's at the end of his career to go out on top something the Colts could not do it has worked out well for 18 , It could have been 18 running for his life behind our offensive line trying to do to much but the result would have been the same .

Manning & Irsay both realized it was the best decision for both & honestly it has worked out well for both .

3 hours ago, Live and let live said:

I am not as good a man as Peyton Manning is. If I were him, I would never set foot in the Colt's stadium again unless he decides to keep playing and returns there as a player. I wouldn't attend any ceremony or have anything to do with them. The Colts made their decision and many people think it was the right decision but I would say, live with it, I'm not coming back.

That would be a stupid grudge for him to hold over an obvious business decision.  The circumstances of his release aren't nearly as terrible as a lot of fans want to make it out. Both Manning and the Colts are in better situations than they would have been had they not parted ways; which is probably apparent to him now even if it wasn't at the time.

Why is it 'holding a grudge' if you simply don't want to resign with a team that, in your mind, 'fired' you.?

Peyton did not know he'd be in a better situation when the Colts cut him. He got old,. Her got hurt and he got cut.

Agreeing that the Colts did what financially they had t do....and resigning with them...is a wide leap over a cold river.

I highly doubt Peyton will EVER work fro the Colts again in any capacity.

Remember,. he's not from here.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

That would be a stupid grudge for him to hold over an obvious business decision.  The circumstances of his release aren't nearly as terrible as a lot of fans want to make it out. Both Manning and the Colts are in better situations than they would have been had they not parted ways; which is probably apparent to him now even if it wasn't at the time.

I doubt that matters not one bit. It wouldn't with me. The Colts discarded him like yesterday's rubbish. He will never forget that and he should not. I don't think he will ever have anything to do with the Colts again. If I were him, I would not trust them one bit.

4 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

It was always my opinion that some day 18 would start his coaching career with the Colts .

That was before he went to Denver now I can just hope we see him on our sidelines some day holding a clip board .

I wish him the best & hope he retires a Colt ..

As far as being fired that is an oversimplification of a very serious issue who new if 18 could be 18 once again ?

Age , injury are things to consider  plus although he stayed healthy who would have wanted to see Peyton Manning hurt no one obviously & that was a real concern had he been injured & carried off the field in LOS that IMO is a memory no one would want ,

Him playing in another SB is awesome for any 18 fan lets enjoy his last ride hes doing it his way ..

Peyton & Irsay have grown up in the football world they understand the business better than any of use could ever & I don't believe there are any hard feelings I just don't believe Peyton Manning is that kind of person .

Irsay at 1 time proclaimed he wanted both Luck & Manning & I bought into that idea I liked it he was telling us what we wanted to hear at some point reality kicked in had he done what he as a fan wanted our team would have paid dearly & in my opinion not done as good as they have done .So

Peyton Manning is & always will be very special to all Colts fans  including there biggest Jim Irsay who IMO had to make a business decision as an owner & not a fan .

18 was given an opportunity by the Broncos  to play in 2 SB's at the end of his career to go out on top something the Colts could not do it has worked out well for 18 , It could have been 18 running for his life behind our offensive line trying to do to much but the result would have been the same .

Manning & Irsay both realized it was the best decision for both & honestly it has worked out well for both .

I don't see where Peyton could have thought it was the best decision for both. He isn't going to retire a Colt either. He owes the Colts not one damned thing.