Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts hire Brian Schottenheimer as QBs coach

Dustin

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly after the fake punt debacle here...I mean we really have no place to look down on the Jets....I still have nightmares about that play...it was THE single worst play in the NFL this year and we deserved to be ridiculed over it. IMO

We hope...then again if we end up going down the same road with Chud as we did with Pep (its a possibility) then by mid-season he could be our OC...and if things get really bad we could end up with Joe Philbin as our HC.

I think Jim, having one hall of fame career yield one SB win and another franchise QB's career significantly passed by with no SB by the time he is looking for a new coach, would go for a massive fish (Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Cowher) before replacing Pagano with one of the castoffs going from team to team.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think Jim, having one hall of fame career yield one SB win and another franchise QB's career significantly passed by with no SB by the time he is looking for a new coach, would go for a massive fish (Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Cowher) before replacing Pagano with one of the castoffs going from team to team.

I was trying to imply if we have to make an in-season change like we did this year that we could see a HC of Philbin and OC of Schottenheimer.

12 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Well, what is there left to teach luck anyway? Just turnovers.

The best are always learning.     Always.      It never stops.     Not for Peyton or Brady or Aaron Rodgers or even Andrew Luck.

There is always something to be learned......

21 hours ago, Gavin said:

Sounds good to me. But what really needs to happen in my opinion is early on in games Chud needs to make it a point to try to get Luck some easy completion attempts  to get Luck settled down and into a passing rhythm and to do that I'd make more of an effort to go over the middle of the field more with some crossing patterns and stretching the field with our TE's, That should also contribute to opening up the running game if affective.

Not to worried about who the QB coach is at this point but going over some of Schottenheimers interviews he sounds like a guy that knows what he is talking about

That is a great 1st paragraph. I think we're going to see a very favorable playbook that hooks into Andrew Luck's "total" ability. To me, I think the Colts have only unveiled a couple layers of the onion as it concerns him. Chudzinski, IMO, will expose the total package that this kid has in his Arsenal. Not being a homer here. The NFL will soon take notice of what really Luck can accomplish with a wide and diverse offense.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think we are going to MAKE Andrew learn/ADD the basics of the west coast passing game.
With Quick/ACCURATE passes that are Down not UP!!    Please!!!.

Hilton/Moncrief/Dorsett is probably the quickest trio in the league in terms of 40 time, no reason these guys shouldn't be getting 5 yards a catch every down like Edelman destroying the seahawks in the SB.

21 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Hilton/Moncrief/Dorsett is probably the quickest trio in the league in terms of 40 time, no reason these guys shouldn't be getting 5 yards a catch every down like Edelman destroying the seahawks in the SB.

Quick and fast are two different traits.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I know but the Pats were 2 minutes from perfection...

Ok?  Again one season doesn't mean that if you look at the stretch from 2005-2009 as a whole that the Colts weren't clearly better than the Pats.  

More te to my orginal point, there is more than one way to win in this league and the Colts found one once.  No reason they can't again without having to become New England 2.0.  

24 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

As dumb as that was, they at least won the game.

That's really Irrelevant. The poster said that the fake punt was without a doubt the worst play of the year, or something along those lines. I think it could be argued that the knee was even worse.

Colts got cute (stupid) trying to draw the Pats offsides and Griff screwed the pooch. Cousins had a stroke or something. There's no explanation for what happened there.

1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

That's really Irrelevant. The poster said that the fake punt was without a doubt the worst play of the year, or something along those lines. I think it could be argued that the knee was even worse.

I think the buildup and history going into that game, as well as where the game was at that point and where our season ended up makes it by far the worst play of the season. It would win the ESPY if that was a category.

15 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Colts got cute (stupid) trying to draw the Pats offsides and Griff screwed the pouch. Cousins had a stroke or something. There's no explanation for what happened there.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  It is not irrelevant.  It was a pivotal moment in the game which led to our eventual loss (not to mention on prime time national television and between two teams, the game of which had been hyped up since deflategate started).  All those things factor in here, and 2 of the 3 have nothing to do with the actual game itself.

Had Philly lost by 3 or less, that would have been on blast being a huge rivalry game (does anything ever go unnoticed in Philly if it changes the outcome of a game?), but it wasn't.  And that's largely because it didn't ultimately affect the outcome of the game.  In fact, this is the first I'm seeing this play (I didn't even see a thread dedicated to it either).  

Anyhow, it's fine you think it's irrelevant, but I say it absolutely is.  Some of the craziest plays in football lore, good or bad, attain the status because of the affect it had on the game and the high profile nature of the game itself.  The Colts stupid snap against NE and the kneel down by Kirk are no exception. 

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I think the buildup and history going into that game, as well as where the game was at that point and where our season ended up makes it by far the worst play of the season. It would win the ESPY if that was a category.

First off, they were both terrible plays. Two of the worst ever. So, neither is by far worse than the other. 

I don't think the history or buildup is relevant but the Redskins were playing the Eagles. There's a lot of history there. If you want to argue where the game was, well, the Cousins knee took at least 3, if not 7, off the board and that could have cost them not only the game but the season as well. Just because it didn't doesn't make the play any less dumb.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

First off, they were both terrible plays. Two of the worst ever. So, neither is by far worse than the other. 

I don't think the history or buildup is relevant but the Redskins were playing the Eagles. There's a lot of history there. If you want to argue where the game was, well, the Cousins knee took at least 3, if not 7, off the board and that could have cost them not only the game but the season as well. Just because it didn't doesn't make the play any less dumb.

If you survive and win then the play is forgotten. Same for amazing plays. Kearse's catch at the end of the SB would have been replayed a million times like Tyree's catch had they handed the ball off to Lynch. But they didn't and they lost and the play is lost forever.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If you survive and win then the play is forgotten. Same for amazing plays. Kearse's catch at the end of the SB would have been replayed a million times like Tyree's catch had they handed the ball off to Lynch. But they didn't and they lost and the play is lost forever.

Exactly - you can look at any play in a vacuum and compare it to another play in a vacuum, but that's just not how it works.  It's like saying a 50 yard TD pass in the first quarter to tie the game is just as amazing as a 50 yard hail mary pass as time expires to send the game into over time and each would be viewed equally by viewers.  That is just not the case peopel's reaction on social media and the media's reaction in their articles should bear that out completely.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Just because the play is largely forgotten due to the eventual outcome, that doesn't make it any less dumb. If the Colts had won and the Redskins lost, people would be calling Cousin's play by far the worst ever.

26 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  It is not irrelevant.  It was a pivotal moment in the game which led to our eventual loss (not to mention on prime time national television and between two teams, the game of which had been hyped up since deflategate started).  All those things factor in here, and 2 of the 3 have nothing to do with the actual game itself.

Had Philly lost by 3 or less, that would have been on blast being a huge rivalry game (does anything ever go unnoticed in Philly if it changes the outcome of a game?), but it wasn't.  And that's largely because it didn't ultimately affect the outcome of the game.  In fact, this is the first I'm seeing this play (I didn't even see a thread dedicated to it either).  

Anyhow, it's fine you think it's irrelevant, but I say it absolutely is.  Some of the craziest plays in football lore, good or bad, attain the status because of the affect it had on the game and the high profile nature of the game itself.  The Colts stupid snap against NE and the kneel down by Kirk are no exception.

As if Cousins' knee wasn't at a pivotal point? Taking 3 guaranteed points, 7 possible, off the board before half? And doing it in about the dumbest way imaginable.

Ultimately winning the game makes people forget, but if the Skins had lost as well that play is talked about up there with the fake punt because it was equally dumb.

The one thing I will say is that the Colts practiced their stupid play and still funked it up, whereas, the knee was all on Cousins. That's a strike against the fake punt.

13 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

As if Cousins' knee wasn't at a pivotal point? Taking 3 guaranteed points, 7 possible, off the board before half? And doing it in about the dumbest way imaginable.

Ultimately winning the game makes people forget, but if the Skins had lost as well that play is talked about up there with the fake punt because it was equally dumb.

The one thing I will say is that the Colts practiced their stupid play and still funked it up, whereas, the knee was all on Cousins. That's a strike against the fake punt.

Well yeah, it was a pivotal point at that very moment in time, but it ended up essentially being meaningless to the outcome of the game.  

To the bolded, that's all I'm really trying to say.  If you showed only those two plays to someone with an average football IQ who didn't see either game or know anything about them, it would be a tossup as to which was worse.  Put it in context of the entire game and people's opinions will sway toward the Colts fake punt.  Whether it's right or wrong, I think it's just how poeple view sports, always with the benefit of hindsight.

17 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Can you provide any specific details on each as to why they're horrible? 

Because they aren't the New England Patriots?  That's most likely "it's" team.....

I was totally referring to the troll bait posts by YourNextGnoMe..... or whatever moniker the bot with 52 posts or uses....

2 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

That's Top 5 worthy but there was a lot of confusion before that play due to the refs etc..and yes he screwed up....but that was more reactionary....the Colts thing...that was calculated...and prime time....and well sorry it was just terrible...I still see it in my sleep...just embarrassing.

Andrew has two top level OC  in Chud and Philbin he can turn to on offense to go along with a QB coach in Schottenheimer that also is a former OC.  If the offense stinks this year I'm really going to be angry because there's just no excuse this time around.  As long as Andrew is not injured this offense should be no less than top 5 especially if we get the line fixed like I think we will.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

The more I read this board, the more I realize most people just don't get it at all.

We are revamping the entire coaching staff with proven (experienced) NFL coaches.

Why all of the complaining?

Because that's what people like to do, even if they don't know what they are talking about.

Not sure I like this signing. 

I don't see Luck as a pocket passer. He is more of a throwback 90s mobile quarterback, along the lines of Favre, Young, and Cunningham. 

Schotty will probably try to turn him into a pure pocket passer the way he did Mark Sanchez at NY. 

Those Jets teams had some controversy over time with him where he quit running the ball and was asking Sanchez to throw it 40-50 times, when it was clearly evident that Sanchez wasn't the type of QB to put that kind of pressure on. 

I hope this don't blow up in their faces, but I can see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

I don't see Luck as a pocket passer. He is more of a throwback 90s mobile quarterback, along the lines of Favre, Young, and Cunningham. 

Schotty will probably try to turn him into a pure pocket passer the way he did Mark Sanchez at NY. 

Those Jets teams had some controversy over time with him where he quit running the ball and was asking Sanchez to throw it 40-50 times, when it was clearly evident that Sanchez wasn't the type of QB to put that kind of pressure on. 

Valid points. However on the flip side, chud is still the OC and he worked with cam newton, tailoring the offense around newton's athletic ability and mobility.

And the Sanchez throwing the ball 40 to 50 times per game point really isn't relevant because shottenheimer won't be calling the plays...chud will.

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Here's what one of the NFL's top scouts said about Luck coming out of college:

"[Andrew Luck] is a prototypical pro-style quarterback who can make all the line calls, formation shifts, pass drops, and throws necessary to be successful at the next level."

Also, all NFL QBs (including Cam Newton and R. Wilson) are trained to be "pocket passers" first.  Just because a QB has "plus" mobility, does not mean he is not a pocket-focused, pro-style QB.

Luck ran a pro-style offense (i.e., an offense where the QB is under center, making drops, and passing from the pocket) at Stanford as well.

He was never, nor will he ever be, some sort of zone-read QB.

And at 6'4", there is no need to roll luck OUT of the pocket because he has the stature and mechanics to throw in the pocket.

If anything, Luck throws better from the pocket than he does on the run. 

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

The difference is....   Scotty is NOT the OC here in Indy.     So, he won't be turning Luck into anything that Cghudzinski, who IS the OC wants him to be.     Scotty is the assistant coach.    Chud is the Offensive Coordinator.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The difference is....   Scotty is NOT the OC here in Indy.     So, he won't be turning Luck into anything that Cghudzinski, who IS the OC wants him to be.     Scotty is the assistant coach.    Chud is the Offensive Coordinator.

Isn't he just the QB coach?