Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the pass rush better then expected?

CR91

while we got only 35 sacks, 16 of those sacks came in the last month of the season. thats an average of 4 sacks a game which is really good. I actually didnt realize that. I still think we need to go pass rush with our first pick because lets face it mathis isnt getting any younger and guys like newsome and werner havent panned out, but perhaps we're not as bad as we all assumed, inconsistent yes, but perhaps the new DC can change that

it was better but there was still liltle pressure from the front 4, there still had to be a lot of blitzing.

However, TY McGill really came on and Mathis got a lot better as the year went on.

Still, you want to make the pass D better?

being able to get pressure consistently without blitzing so that will keep from the holes in the middle of the field from being there.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

while we got only 35 sacks, 16 of those sacks came in the last month of the season. thats an average of 4 sacks a game which is really good. I actually didnt realize that. I still think we need to go pass rush with our first pick because lets face it mathis isnt getting any younger and guys like newsome and werner havent panned out, but perhaps we're not as bad as we all assumed, inconsistent yes, but perhaps the new DC can change that

Half the battle is sending the rush or manufacturing a rush with an element of disguise. The disguises didn't work for Manusky and dropping Mathis into coverage is not the best plan of action either. You need linemen in pass rush that can beat the OL 1-on-1 more often in pass rush. If we have to play more 4 man fronts and get a long armed DE on the other side to bat balls down (like JPP, not exactly JPP:)) while bringing A gap pressure, so be it. I think using more disruptive DL playing 1-gap more in the middle might help for passing downs. If we cannot substitute, let them start with those DL.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Call me a cynic, but I think that has more to do with playing Ryan Tannehill, Alex Tanney/Zack Mettenberger, Brandon Weeden/TJ Yates, and Blake Bortles. 

course thats plays a role as well, but even so getting 16 sacks when all we had was 19 going into december is saying something

Our pass rush isn't ok. We need a player or two that the opposing QB's have to think about. We just don't have that now. I think the last half had a lot to do with who we were playing. 

We obviously need an Edge Rusher. If the NYJ can't pay Wilkerson I would be all over him. We could finally get pressure up front consistently. 

I know the Jets will want to keep him. They just signed Richardson to a new deal. . Their NT Harrison is a FA and they got Williams in the draft last year. I know Demario Davis is a FA too. I'm not sure who else they have to deal with. They probably tag him I hope not. That would help the D a lot. Then we could grab an edge or 2 in the draft. 

I would like to see Calhoun or Floyd maybe Lee early then come back day 3 and get a guy like Ngakoue or Turay. Maybe Schobert one will fall to the 4/5. Turay could really move up after the combine if he comes out. He's a freak. 

We have to generate a pass rush next year or the Brady's and Ben's of the world will keep eating us up. 

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Our pass rush isn't ok. We need a player or two that the opposing QB's have to think about. We just don't have that now. I think the last half had a lot to do with who we were playing. 

We obviously need an Edge Rusher. If the NYJ can't pay Wilkerson I would be all over him. We could finally get pressure up front consistently. 

I know the Jets will want to keep him. They just signed Richardson to a new deal. . Their NT Harrison is a FA and they got Williams in the draft last year. I know Demario Davis is a FA too. I'm not sure who else they have to deal with. They probably tag him I hope not. That would help the D a lot. Then we could grab an edge or 2 in the draft. 

I would like to see Calhoun or Floyd maybe Lee early then come back day 3 and get a guy like Ngakoue or Turay. Maybe Schobert one will fall to the 4/5. Turay could really move up after the combine if he comes out. He's a freak. 

We have to generate a pass rush next year or the Brady's and Ben's of the world will keep eating us up. 

my oversight wasnt to suggest we dont need to address the pass rush because we do, I was merely pointing out our ability to generate pressure at the end of the season and perhaps it wasnt as bad as we all think

No. Like Dustin said it had more to do with who we were going up against. Our Pass rush is a major issue this offseason (along with the OL) and it has to be dealt with. I would bring in at least 2 new OLB's. Probably one in FA and one with our 1st round pick. If we could pickup Bruce Irvin and draft Noah Spence we'll be in good shape.

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I like Ngakoue too. I'd like to see Spence in the 1st and Ngakoue in the 3rd/4th

Yeah the last couple of O-Lines we faced were garbage. We need youth at the position badly. The combination of Anderson (when he comes back) and a young pass rusher from the draft should be enough to generate some sacks.

It would be nice to have one guy who could get 10+ sacks a year. 19.5 as a team going into December is terrible. I think the floor for next year starts at 50 sacks minimum.

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Call me a pessimist, but I think that has more to do with playing Ryan Tannehill, Alex Tanney/Zack Mettenberger, Brandon Weeden/TJ Yates, and Blake Bortles. 

At least you'd be an accurate pessimist.  17 of our 35 sacks came against the Titans, Jaguars and Dolphins - the worst, 4th worst, and 8th worst teams, respectively, in sacks allowed.  Half our sacks in less than a third of the games of the season.  You throw in Tampa Bay, and that's 22 sacks in 6 games (meaning we got roughly 1 sack per game against everyone else).

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah the last couple of O-Lines we faced were garbage. We need youth at the position badly. The combination of Anderson (when he comes back) and a young pass rusher from the draft should be enough to generate some sacks.

It would be nice to have one guy who could get 10+ sacks a year. 19.5 as a team going into December is terrible. I think the floor for next year starts at 50 sacks minimum.

50 sacks? the broncos only got 52 and they have the best pass rush

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

OL is a more pressing need. I do agree we need someone to replace the aging Mathis but I think not with our first pick.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Remember,  these sacks were against some very poor competition....

I think the one real positive thing is this......

Robert Mathis may have just been rounding into shape in December.

I'm not saying he was out of shape.    But I suspect he was out of FOOTBALL shape.   And I also suspect his Achilles was much better by December, so he played much better in the final month.

Hopefully,  that means very good things for Robert next year.

But as for pass rush,  just look at the games where we're losing...  Pittsburgh, J'Ville, New England, Carolina and on and on.....     in those games,  we're not getting to the QB.    In fact,  we're not even touching the quarterback.

We need more quality pass rushers.    Much more.

12 minutes ago, Devildog said:

OL is a more pressing need. I do agree we need someone to replace the aging Mathis but I think not with our first pick.

I have no idea why people continually feel like that position X is slotted for round 1.  That is not the way the draft works, nor should it be.  The simple fact is the Colts need play-makers at multiple positions and outside of QB, they would consider any position to improve the team.  

32 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

In close games, when we really needed stops, our pass rush was non existent. We had good pass rush vs bad teams like Tampa Bay. 

Well majority of the games shouldn't have been close if not for the "horrible" Def lol

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Looking at the competition over the last month of the season....not exactly elite competition there...and a couple teams had packed it in clearly (Miami/Tennessee)

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Looking at the competition over the last month of the season....not exactly elite competition there...and a couple teams had packed it in clearly (Miami/Tennessee)

fins beat the pats. thats not packing in

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

fins beat the pats. thats not packing in

The Pats defense was without like EVERYONE...but watching that game we played against Miami they did not look like they were even trying....I mean that last play of the game...that sack...the OL looked like Brett Favre giving a free pass to Michael Strahan. I know everyone was trying and we did produce better the last part of the season but the competition and the level of pressure (which probably is a better indicator than actual sacks) just doesn't tell me we don't have major issues in this area.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

Call me a pessimist, but I think that has more to do with playing Ryan Tannehill, Alex Tanney/Zack Mettenberger, Brandon Weeden/TJ Yates, and Blake Bortles. 

Remember, when evaluating the Colts the competition doesn't matter...

5 hours ago, Devildog said:

You don't see interior OL go in round 1 often. I don't see one this year.  I think the only way we go OL in the first is if Staley falls. 

I think C has to be FA. We can't be crap at that spot again weakest link on the team. 

Draft I would like something like 1.   Floyd OLB 2. Russell CB(trade down) 3. Marz RT 4. Ngakoue OLB 4. (Trade) Joesph S 5. Heeny OG 7 Jones CB/KR

Why is Cyris Jones going so late? I see some places have him an UDFA. He can play the slot and return kicks. I bet he moves up. 

I could go for a DL that can get pressure on the QB in the 1/2 too. We need a push rush badly. The last 4 games teams weren't great and all but Houston was looking for a good draft pick.

We need a lot of help getting to the QB. I think Mathis will be a little better next year maybe close to 10 sacks? 

A real C on O and a pass rush on D. Then things will look better. Both will make their side of the ball better immediatley 

Against bad teams, with bad QBs and worse Olines.

I'm not buying that.

Mathis is getting back up to speed, Anderson needs to come back strong, Langford needs to come back as his disruptive self, a few young guys in the mix. We'll be fine... :thmup:

19 hours ago, Dustin said:

No I disagree. We have a Big Rush! The last few games proved that. No need to get a pass rushing playmaker. Lol :sarcasm:

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

We played Jags, Texans, Dolphins, and Titans last 4 games. 

^Weaksauce^