Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's getting cut / not-resigned this offseason?

SilentHill

Not a cap guy so don't know what implications some of these cuts would have on dead $$. but I see it like this

CUT - Not Re-signed

Toler
Hasselbeck
Freeman - Will be offered more $$ elsewhere
Allen
Louis
Whitehurst
Anderson
Bradshaw
Herron
Lindley
DQ
Cole
Werner
Butler
Thornton
McNary

10 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

On the qbs Hasselbeck is just good as gone.  On the RBs, they may keep F Gore to mentor the new rookie RB , receivers and TEs get rid of Fleener, to many drops and scared to go in the middle, always avoid contact by running out of bounds., Toler, Butler all must go didn't show me anything.  Defensively, it's been agreed we need edge rushers.  Get rid of T Cole, Werner, E Walden Newsome J Freeman, A Jones and draft quality rookies and signed some difference maker free agents.  Hopefully this is where Grigs don't come back, b/c he we won't be GM for long, right

Andre Johnson see ya!

Toler - Go

Hasselbeck - Retires

Vinatieri - Retires

Jerrell Freeman - Keep 

Allen - Keep if you can get a good deal

Fleener - Keep

Winn - Go

Louis - Go

Whitehurst - Go

Lowery - Keep

Anderson - Go

Lindley - Go

Josh Freeman - Go

Also to go would be Cole, Werner and Andre Johnson.

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I think this list is fairly reasonable, except there is no way in the world J. Freeman (not the QB) will be signed cheaply. 

Also, it makes zero sense (to me) to let Fleener leave, and keep Allen, who is on IR more than Bradshaw. 

Doyle can do what Allen does for cheap.

I would love to know if Swoop and Doyle can be the poor mans version of what Fleener and Allen was supposed to give us. Our game planners sure did not give us quality plans to utilize the TE's this season so it's really hard to say how good any of these 4 guys are. Fleener has always looked soft and Allen has always ended up on IR. Those are concerning traits for guys who want 5+ million a season long term contracts. Spend the money on the line and let Luck make hard working over achieving type TE's look better than perhaps they are. Schemes WILL improve this player personnel. 

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Toler - Go

Hasselbeck - Retires

Vinatieri - Retires

Jerrell Freeman - Keep 

Allen - Keep if you can get a good deal

Fleener - Keep

Winn - Go

Louis - Go

Whitehurst - Go

Lowery - Keep

Anderson - Go

Lindley - Go

Josh Freeman - Go

Also to go would be Cole, Werner and Andre Johnson.

Would keep Winn. Decent depth/cheap

9 hours ago, adamr said:

Cut:

- Andre Johnson

- Trent Cole

- D'Qwell Jackson

- Art Jones

- Jonothan Harrison

Re-Sign:

- Adam Vinatieri

- Coby Fleener

- Dwight Lowery

- Josh Freeman

- Boom Herron

Don't Re-Sign

- Greg Toler

- Matt Hasselbeck (assume he retires)

- Jerell Freeman

- Dwyane Allen (can't stay healthy)

- Billy Winn

- Lance Louis

- Charlie Whitehurst

- Colt Anderson

- Ryan Lindley

Only thing I'd think about changing is Billy Winn, otherwise, I agree

12 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

On the qbs Hasselbeck is just good as gone.  On the RBs, they may keep F Gore to mentor the new rookie RB , receivers and TEs get rid of Fleener, to many drops and scared to go in the middle, always avoid contact by running out of bounds., Toler, Butler all must go didn't show me anything.  Defensively, it's been agreed we need edge rushers.  Get rid of T Cole, Werner, E Walden Newsome J Freeman, A Jones and draft quality rookies and signed some difference maker free agents.  Hopefully this is where Grigs don't come back, b/c he we won't be GM for long, right

Dude, Fleener has proved to be far more of an asset than Allen has and you rather keep Allen? Walden has played very consistently and you wanna let him go? Newsome played well in his rookie season, got snaps taken from him due to the return of Mathis and the addition of Cole and you wanna let him go? lol man oh man 

5Josh Freeman QB--keep

8Matt Hasselbeck QB--retire

3Ryan Lindley QB--no

12Andrew Luck QB--keep

7Stephen Morris QB--no

6Charlie Whitehurst QB--no

44Ahmad Bradshaw RB--no

23Frank Gore RB--keep-but cuttable

38Tyler Varga RB--keep and sort out in TC

40Trey Williams RB--keep and sort out in TC

11Quan Bray WR--keep

15Phillip Dorsett WR-keep

13T.Y. Hilton WR--keep

81Andre Johnson WR--cut/reduce salary

10Donte Moncrief WR--keep

83Dwayne Allen TE--no

84Jack Doyle TE--keep

80Coby Fleener TE--ugh, what to do here??

86Erik Swoope TE-keep

72Jonotthan Harrison C--keep and sort out in TC

62Khaled Holmes C--keep and sort out in TC

45Matt Overton C--keep

69Hugh Thornton G--keep

74Anthony Castonzo OT--keep

71Denzelle Good OT -keep

60Lance Louis OG--no

75Jack Mewhort OG--keep

76Joe Reitz OG--keep

90Kendall Langford DE--keep

95Earl Okine DE--keep and sort out in TC

96Henry Anderson DT--keep

97Arthur Jones DT--keep

94Zach Kerr DT--keep and sort out in TC

67T.Y. McGill DT--keep and sort out in TC

54David Parry DT--keep

99Billy Winn DT--keep and sort out in TC

64Kelcy Quarles DL--keep and sort out in TC

58Trent Cole LB--no

50Jerrell Freeman LB--another tough choice

49Amarlo Herrera LB--keep

55Nate Irving LB--keep

52D'Qwell Jackson LB--keep

98Robert Mathis LB--keep

57Josh McNary LB--keep and sort out in TC

51Sio Moore LB--keep and sort out in TC

91Jonathan Newsome LB--keep and sort out in TC

59Andy Studebaker LB--keep and sort out in TC

48Junior Sylvestre LB--keep and sort out in TC

93Erik Walden LB--keep

92Bjoern Werner LB--keep and sort out in TC

31Jalil Brown CB--keep and sort out in TC

20Darius Butler CB--keep and sort out in TC

21Vontae Davis CB--keep

39Tay Glover-Wright CB--don't know him

43Tevin Mitchel CB--don't know him

46Joshua Mitchell CB--don't know him

30D'Joun Smith CBc--keep

28Greg Toler CB--first man off the team

33Dwight Lowery DB--keep

35Akeem Davis S--don't know him

29Mike Adams SS--keep

42Clayton Geathers SS--keep

32Colt Anderson FS--no

27Winston Guy FS--no

4Adam Vinatieri PK--keep

1Pat McAfee P--keep

Some of these guys will obviously either be cut or just not re-signed. Several of the lower tier guys will be either dropped or first to go with new draft players and FA guys. It isn't a secret that QB is set, the LT and LG spot is set on the oline but past that, IMO the other spots could be an upgradable spot but Thorton and Goode bring enough to the table to be the least of the issue. Center and depth are the concern. WR is a super strength and back up is plenty. Andre as he played this year is certainly expendable and use his cap space somewhere else. Duran Carter is also a player to see next season. The TE's are interesting. We have 2 guys backing up the starters that could potentially make the same impact for the team next year without the price tag it will take to sign the original starters. Wild card is what is FLeener? A mediocre player or a player being held down by the scheme? At RB, you have an old Gore who did nothing behind this oline but neither did anyone else in the past 4 years so I have to say that's all on scheme and oline. Saying that, Gore fumbled and couldn't catch as well as I had hoped he would coming over this season. We could do better in replacing him and using his cap space but won't be hurt if he stays.

On defense, we have one heck of a dline with guys returning next season. Anderson and Parry should be even better with the experience. Art Jones?? who knows but I am hopeful and I really like what Langford brought to the team. There are also some very nice depth pieces with all the other dline guys in the mix. That part of the team looks solid. The LB's are not impressive and how much will Freeman want and get to return after some good and bad play this season and look at his age? Walden is still doing well at setting the edge, Mathis is still a hard motor guy, hope he has 1 more season in him and improve under a new scheme. The rest, Meh!! We must locate a LB'er who can cover the TE's in the league today and give us just enough in the run game. As for the backfield guys, Davis is great and Geathers and Adams are good enough. IMO, the others are all upgradable but we need to find a solid #2 CB.  

Can't wait to see how the team shapes up for next year. 3-4 solid draft picks and 1-2 solid FA picks and a good coaching staff should have this team competing for the SB in 2016-2017 season.

I think there are some obvious cuts but it is WAY WAY to early to know who is likely to go. We may have new schemes on both sides of the ball. It is impossible to know who will say and who will go. We may switch to a 4-3...we may go to a totally different offensive scheme...but we have plenty of cap flexibility (Grigson and Company have done a great job of that). We may even have players ask to be cut with the changes...hard hard to tell at this point. Let's at least wait to see who the coaches and possible GM will be.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

My point is that Freeman can stay, Jackson can go. 

But no, I don't think $5.5m/year is too much for Freeman. It's probably the highest I would go for him, but it's about what a slightly above average starting ILB is worth.

$5.5M when pigs fly.  $3M somewhere else Maybe.

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

5Josh Freeman QB--keep

8Matt Hasselbeck QB--retire

3Ryan Lindley QB--no

12Andrew Luck QB--keep

7Stephen Morris QB--no

6Charlie Whitehurst QB--no

44Ahmad Bradshaw RB--no

23Frank Gore RB--keep-but cuttable

38Tyler Varga RB--keep and sort out in TC

40Trey Williams RB--keep and sort out in TC

11Quan Bray WR--keep

15Phillip Dorsett WR-keep

13T.Y. Hilton WR--keep

81Andre Johnson WR--cut/reduce salary

10Donte Moncrief WR--keep

83Dwayne Allen TE--no

84Jack Doyle TE--keep

80Coby Fleener TE--ugh, what to do here??

86Erik Swoope TE-keep

72Jonotthan Harrison C--keep and sort out in TC

62Khaled Holmes C--keep and sort out in TC

45Matt Overton C--keep

69Hugh Thornton G--keep

74Anthony Castonzo OT--keep

71Denzelle Good OT -keep

60Lance Louis OG--no

75Jack Mewhort OG--keep

76Joe Reitz OG--keep

90Kendall Langford DE--keep

95Earl Okine DE--keep and sort out in TC

96Henry Anderson DT--keep

97Arthur Jones DT--keep

94Zach Kerr DT--keep and sort out in TC

67T.Y. McGill DT--keep and sort out in TC

54David Parry DT--keep

99Billy Winn DT--keep and sort out in TC

64Kelcy Quarles DL--keep and sort out in TC

58Trent Cole LB--no

50Jerrell Freeman LB--another tough choice

49Amarlo Herrera LB--keep

55Nate Irving LB--keep

52D'Qwell Jackson LB--keep

98Robert Mathis LB--keep

57Josh McNary LB--keep and sort out in TC

51Sio Moore LB--keep and sort out in TC

91Jonathan Newsome LB--keep and sort out in TC

59Andy Studebaker LB--keep and sort out in TC

48Junior Sylvestre LB--keep and sort out in TC

93Erik Walden LB--keep

92Bjoern Werner LB--keep and sort out in TC

31Jalil Brown CB--keep and sort out in TC

20Darius Butler CB--keep and sort out in TC

21Vontae Davis CB--keep

39Tay Glover-Wright CB--don't know him

43Tevin Mitchel CB--don't know him

46Joshua Mitchell CB--don't know him

30D'Joun Smith CBc--keep

28Greg Toler CB--first man off the team

33Dwight Lowery DB--keep

35Akeem Davis S--don't know him

29Mike Adams SS--keep

42Clayton Geathers SS--keep

32Colt Anderson FS--no

27Winston Guy FS--no

4Adam Vinatieri PK--keep

1Pat McAfee P--keep

Some of these guys will obviously either be cut or just not re-signed. Several of the lower tier guys will be either dropped or first to go with new draft players and FA guys. It isn't a secret that QB is set, the LT and LG spot is set on the oline but past that, IMO the other spots could be an upgradable spot but Thorton and Goode bring enough to the table to be the least of the issue. Center and depth are the concern. WR is a super strength and back up is plenty. Andre as he played this year is certainly expendable and use his cap space somewhere else. Duran Carter is also a player to see next season. The TE's are interesting. We have 2 guys backing up the starters that could potentially make the same impact for the team next year without the price tag it will take to sign the original starters. Wild card is what is FLeener? A mediocre player or a player being held down by the scheme? At RB, you have an old Gore who did nothing behind this oline but neither did anyone else in the past 4 years so I have to say that's all on scheme and oline. Saying that, Gore fumbled and couldn't catch as well as I had hoped he would coming over this season. We could do better in replacing him and using his cap space but won't be hurt if he stays.

On defense, we have one heck of a dline with guys returning next season. Anderson and Parry should be even better with the experience. Art Jones?? who knows but I am hopeful and I really like what Langford brought to the team. There are also some very nice depth pieces with all the other dline guys in the mix. That part of the team looks solid. The LB's are not impressive and how much will Freeman want and get to return after some good and bad play this season and look at his age? Walden is still doing well at setting the edge, Mathis is still a hard motor guy, hope he has 1 more season in him and improve under a new scheme. The rest, Meh!! We must locate a LB'er who can cover the TE's in the league today and give us just enough in the run game. As for the backfield guys, Davis is great and Geathers and Adams are good enough. IMO, the others are all upgradable but we need to find a solid #2 CB.  

Can't wait to see how the team shapes up for next year. 3-4 solid draft picks and 1-2 solid FA picks and a good coaching staff should have this team competing for the SB in 2016-2017 season.

Really spot on.
Except. As you watch some Playoff football keep an eye on the outside rushers.
 And know this, there are NO Eric Waldens on a top defense.
 We need a stud out there, a couple really, and he ain`t it.
 I am all-in for a Center, a CB, and a Pass rusher.

6 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Not a cap guy so don't know what implications some of these cuts would have on dead $$. but I see it like this

CUT - Not Re-signed

Toler
Hasselbeck
Freeman - Will be offered more $$ elsewhere
Allen
Louis
Whitehurst
Anderson
Bradshaw
Herron
Lindley
DQ
Cole
Werner
Butler
Thornton
McNary

No significant cap ramifications to any of those.

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Really spot on.
Except. As you watch some Playoff football keep an eye on the outside rushers.
 And know this, there are NO Eric Waldens on a top defense.
 We need a stud out there, a couple really, and he ain`t it.
 I am all-in for a Center, a CB, and a Pass rusher.

I don't disagree with that but I just don't feel like you're going to be able to fix all of this in an offseason and every team has some weakness in a group. As much as we would all like each group to be top notch, the cap doesn't allow that to happen. In all the players needing changed, walden may be the least of the issues. He was brought here to set the edge and that he has done well. Any pass rushing effort is a bonus when it occurs. If that player comes up in the draft or a FA that fits the scheme, I'm not against changing walden. 

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I'd place Fleener as a top 5-15 TE in the league right now to be frank.

Allen is VASTLY OVERRATED. The MOST number of yards he has catching a year is 595.

Agreed, idk why everyone dislikes him, he has steadily improved each season. and is a huge vertical threat. id take him over Allen anyday. 

Am I the only one who thinks Dwight Lowery is bad? And why would we cut Fleener and keep Allen? That makes ZERO sense to me. I would love to keep both and get Sean Payton.. he would max out the potential in both Allen and Fleener.

I think we need to keep Jerrell Freeman. The guy was really starting to come on towards the end of the season for us.

2 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Dwight Lowery is bad? And why would we cut Fleener and keep Allen? That makes ZERO sense to me. I would love to keep both and get Sean Payton.. he would max out the potential in both Allen and Fleener.

I think we need to keep Jerrell Freeman. The guy was really starting to come on towards the end of the season for us.

Dwight Lowery has been alright this season. Just goes to show you what having a average F.S feels like compared to the past.

17 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Fleener had 54 receptions on 85 targets, for 491 yards and 3 TD (15 games).

That's with Luck out for the majority of the season. 

In Fleener's sophomore season, he had only 1 drop the entire season (which made him 2nd in the entire league in LEAST amount of drops).

I'm not trying to be rude but some of the stuff said around here absolutely blows my mind. 

Allen, comparatively, had 16 receptions on 29 targets.  109 yards and 1 TD.  In 13 games.

Allen would have the same numbers if he would've been targeted 85 times this season. Guy just about snagged anything that came his way this season. Can somebody please pull a statistic to show how many times Allen blocked on passing plays? Whenever we run a passing play, Fleener runs a route. On the other hand, Allen is asked to block often than not. You people are acting as if Allen and Fleener have ran the same amount of routes this season.

On 1/4/2016 at 3:48 PM, SilentHill said:

I don't think we re-sign Toler, or Hasselbeck. Surely not Lance Louis.

The only question marks I think are with Fleener, Allen, and Freeman, maybe Lowery if the S market is bad (haven't looked).

AV is money, but he's really old, does he want to play? If he does maybe 1 year deals from here on out. He was solid this season again.

Regarding cuts, we can save 5m by cutting Andre Johnson (2.5m in dead $), Tent Cole would save us 6m (1m in dead $) DQ would save 5.25m (500k in dead $) Say what you want about Grigson, but if he is relieved of his duties, it won't be hard to clean the house of the FA's he signed, a lot of them would provide a lot of cap savings, and very little dead money.

With the cap expected to be around 150m Colts are currently sitting at 130m without signing any UFA's (also assuming Luck's 16m salary)

I remember when this board was singing Grigs praises about how he structured these contracts.  Oh the good old days......:D

3 hours ago, Solon said:

Allen would have the same numbers if he would've been targeted 85 times this season. Guy just about snagged anything that came his way this season. Can somebody please pull a statistic to show how many times Allen blocked on passing plays? Whenever we run a passing play, Fleener runs a route. On the other hand, Allen is asked to block often than not. You people are acting as if Allen and Fleener have ran the same amount of routes this season.

No, I'm not pretending that Allen and Fleener had the same number of targets.  That is why I explicitly listed Allen's measly 29 targets.

Also, how many more targets would Fleener have had with a present and healthy Luck throwing to him?

You know what else hurt Allen's targets?  His not being on the field at all/not being healthy when playing. 

On a side note, Allen had 3 drops in 1 game last year (2014).  That is 2 more drops than Fleener had his entire sophomore season in the NFL.  Fleener had one big drop on a wide-open TD one time.  Everyone remembers that, and it has created this fallacy that Fleener drops balls when in reality, Allen has been struggling with his hands since his rookie year.

Both Allen and Fleener are good players.  Fleener can be used to create match-up nightmares as a wideout - something Allen cannot do.

While Fleener has improved his blocking, he is nowhere near as talented as Allen (with respect to blocking).  But, who cares about Fleener's blocking?  That's why the Colts have Jack D. 

9 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

No, I'm not pretending that Allen and Fleener had the same number of targets.  That is why I explicitly listed Allen's measly 29 targets.

Also, how many more targets would Fleener have had with a present and healthy Luck throwing to him?

You know what else hurt Allen's targets?  His not being on the field at all/not being healthy when playing. 

On a side note, Allen had 3 drops in 1 game last year (2014).  That is 2 more drops than Fleener had his entire sophomore season in the NFL.  Fleener had one big drop on a wide-open TD one time.  Everyone remembers that, and it has created this fallacy that Fleener drops balls when in reality, Allen has been struggling with his hands since his rookie year.

Both Allen and Fleener are good players.  Fleener can be used to create match-up nightmares as a wideout - something Allen cannot do.

While Fleener has improved his blocking, he is nowhere near as talented as Allen (with respect to blocking).  But, who cares about Fleener's blocking?  That's why the Colts have Jack D. 

That would be nice and all if Fleener used his size against smaller opponents. Don't be mistaken; I like Fleener and I don't care about his ability to block. He's usually the tallest player on the field, but he plays like he's 5'9. He's no more of a game-changer than Allen. Regardless if he's healthy or not.

I must spend too much time here.

i'm starting to be able to know which posts are a waste of time to read just by looking at the poster's name.

haha

i gotta get a life i think. Time to move outta the parents' basement i'm afraid.  Spread my wings and.........THUD!

damn, that hurt.  Back to my room beside the washer n dryer.