Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints Rumors Impact Colts & Texans

King Colt

It has started, rumors on Houston radio are fairly serious about the Saints  head coach going to Indy and the QB to Houston. A lot of the truth on how this may play out is money (of course) for both. This could blossom at the end of this coming week when chips start to fall. 

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Brees has said he and his coach are staying,,,,and he might knw more than Houston radio heads

Agree, don't see them leaving the Saints either right now. I also do not see them splitting up. I think Brees has a few more years of high level play left in him.

Of course rumors on Houston radio would want Brees for a few years and of course Payton would be an upgrade to Pagano. 

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It has started, rumors on Houston radio are fairly serious about the Saints  head coach going to Indy and the QB to Houston. A lot of the truth on how this may play out is money (of course) for both. This could blossom at the end of this coming week when chips start to fall. 

"Chip" has already fallen (in Philly), but that's a different story...

Just about anyone would be an upgrade in Houston at this point.

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

You just gave Bogie nightmares for the rest of the offseason.

Not really sure why Bogie hates Peyton? He is from New Orleans, his dad played there, and he basically gave his team a SB by throwing an INT LOL. Hell if a was a Saints fan I would love the guy. During that SB week and even after the game the people I chatted with over at ESPN that were Saints fans love the guy. Roughly I would say 95% of them did.

Relationships fall apart when contracts are up and going only by what the Houston radio boys were saying it is a contracts/money issue for both. I know nothing more than that. Whoever thought Peyton Manning would leave the Colts?! Anything can happen in the NFL. We all knew Chip Kelley was short in Philly but I never thought he would get axed with one game to go. To me that is a slap in Kelley's face, big time.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure why Bogie hates Peyton? He is from New Orleans, his dad played there, and he basically gave his team a SB by throwing an INT LOL. Hell if a was a Saints fan I would love the guy. During that SB week and even after the game the people I chatted with over at ESPN that were Saints fans love the guy. Roughly I would say 95% of them did.

Honestly he did help the Saints in the SB. lmao I remember those silly conspiracies over "Peyton and Reggie love the Saints and New Orleans more then the Colts and threw it away." lmaolmaolmaolmao 

Just now, Jules said:

Honestly he did help the Saints in the SB. lmao I remember those silly conspiracies over "Peyton and Reggie love the Saints and New Orleans more then the Colts and threw it away." lmaolmaolmaolmao 

That pass did look phony haha That is a pass that a rookie would make. Peyton was clutch all year that season and for a mistake to happen like that was a bit strange. I still have some friends as of today that think the Colts threw the game because Peyton is from New Orleans. I think the onside Kick and Garcon's drop were much more impactful to that loss though.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That pass did look phony haha That is a pass that a rookie would make. Peyton was clutch all year that season and for a mistake to happen like that was a bit strange. I still have some friends as of today that think the Colts threw the game because Peyton is from New Orleans. I think the onside Kick and Garcon's drop were much more impactful to that loss though.

I don't believe the conspiracies. I think they just messed up and the Saints were turnover kings all year and they read the play ahead of time due to studying so much game film. It was just bad bad timing on our part.

I don't feel bad though, I didn't think the 2009 Colts were as good as they looked record wise. I was actually proud just to make it to the SB and I do like Brees. I do think though we made a huge mistake not sticking with the run enough in that game, Addai was tearing it up for a while.

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Relationships fall apart when contracts are up and going only by what the Houston radio boys were saying it is a contracts/money issue for both. I know nothing more than that. Whoever thought Peyton Manning would leave the Colts?! Anything can happen in the NFL. We all knew Chip Kelley was short in Philly but I never thought he would get axed with one game to go. To me that is a slap in Kelley's face, big time.

And who exactly are the geniuses speaking on Houston radio?

I guess we will know more once the offseason starts rolling. I am sure though every coach who has ever coached will be linked to us. lmao And since Houston needs a QB Brees would be linked to them. I also remember Brees being linked to the Bills this past summer.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh man if Garcon catches that ball it's game over. 

Brees and Payton are not leaving. These rumors have been spiraling around for several months with no substance to them. 

If Payton leaves, and that's a huge "If" then Brees would follow him. They are a packaged duo in my eyes. 

Regarding all the cap issues with the Saints, Brees' salary really isn't the problem. The Saints still owe dead money to Junior Gallette who was cut back in spring, and they wasted big money on overrated free agents that have played mediocre; namely Jarius Byrd and Brandon Browner. One of them will go, before Brees. 

I don't see Payton leaving. If the Saints were winning right now, none of these rumors would be going around. They started over 40 rookies this year, mainly on defense. They're in a strong rebuilding mode at the moment, so I am sure Payton and Brees are staying. 

50 minutes ago, Jules said:

I don't believe the conspiracies. I think they just messed up and the Saints were turnover kings all year and they read the play ahead of time due to studying so much game film. It was just bad bad timing on our part.

I don't feel bad though, I didn't think the 2009 Colts were as good as they looked record wise. I was actually proud just to make it to the SB and I do like Brees. I do think though we made a huge mistake not sticking with the run enough in that game, Addai was tearing it up for a while.

I also give some of the blame for that pick to Wayne. He ran a lazy route and didn't do anything to protect the pass from being picked. Wayne was a great receiver but not in the sense of protecting the ball from the man covering him. I don't believe in conspiracies either but that game made me wonder.

38 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Brees and Payton are not leaving. These rumors have been spiraling around for several months with no substance to them. 

If Payton leaves, and that's a huge "If" then Brees would follow him. They are a packaged duo in my eyes. 

Regarding all the cap issues with the Saints, Brees' salary really isn't the problem. The Saints still owe dead money to Junior Gallette who was cut back in spring, and they wasted big money on overrated free agents that have played mediocre; namely Jarius Byrd and Brandon Browner. One of them will go, before Brees. 

I don't see Payton leaving. If the Saints were winning right now, none of these rumors would be going around. They started over 40 rookies this year, mainly on defense. They're in a strong rebuilding mode at the moment, so I am sure Payton and Brees are staying. 

Yes Bogie, neither Payton or Brees are leaving the Bayou. Both men are beloved icons in Louisiana & Tom Benson isn't stupid. 

Saints will have to figure out Brees contract. He has one year left at a huge cap hit. They would need to sign him to a new deal and the rub would be how much Brees would accept. I can't see him doing a Brady type extension not when a team like Houston would pay top dollar for him or the Jets or Bills for that matter.

14 hours ago, Jules said:

We know this won't happen since shockingly in the offseason Bill B. will announce to the world, "I am leaving the Patriots for the Colts. I am bored.......I need a project......".

It'd be shocking to say the least..... and I'm not sure I'd be for it......

10 hours ago, amfootball said:

Saints will have to figure out Brees contract. He has one year left at a huge cap hit. They would need to sign him to a new deal and the rub would be how much Brees would accept. I can't see him doing a Brady type extension not when a team like Houston would pay top dollar for him or the Jets or Bills for that matter.

Rarely do you and I agree but I do agree with this post.

Drew's cap hit is 30 million. He is getting paid 20 million. I guess they would have to restructure a deal for like 3 yrs and spread out the cap hit but as we have seen with most big money contracts eventually you just have to EAT it and play it out or cut the guy. Saints will have to get worse to get better. Honestly their window was closed a couple years ago when they couldn't get past Seattle. It happens. The one thing I don't get is Sean Payton. He has two years left and is seen as a great coach/offensive mind. They aren't just going to let him walk....somebody will have to pony up some draft picks if they want to lure him away. Can't see the Saints letting him go for nothing and it would help the rebuilding process as they search for a new qb.

Houston would make sense for Drew...its a short private flight from his house in NO to Houston to see his family and he would be playing for a playoff caliber team. It would make sense for him if he gets cut...all that said I still think the Saints try to work out something with him....but I don't see a scenario where he can follow Sean somewhere else....it would probably require a major relocation and I don't know if either at this point in there career want that when they can stay in NO and keep making money. Sean has been linked a lot to Miami and if that's the case I don't see Drew joining him...and of course Bill in Houston isn't going anywhere. Sean is in the middle of his long career as a coach...he may want to stay in NO and that makes sense but he can't hitch his future to Drew who has a couple years left. If I'm Sean I hold out another year or so and then take the Dallas job since he loved it there so much he lived there while coaching the Saints for awhile...because I can't see Garrett hanging on to his job much longer.

Some or part of all of this is how bad someone wants either of them, i.e., m-o-n-e-y! They can go fishing after they retire if they are inseparable. Peyton never tied on  to Dungy, Aikman never tied on to Coach Jimmy. Just sayin'. But this is only a rumor anyhow.

Rumors that start in local radio towns about people in other states can't be trusted. If for no other reason than because it would almost invariably originate in the town of the person(s) of interest. You don't see Chicago reporters breaking Colts stories (i.e. Holder being sited by national media on likelihood of Grigs staying, Kravitz on initial deflategate report, etc). It's by local beat writers, and the like.

Definitely, do not want to see Brees going to Houston! 

The AFC South is getting better and the seasons of 6 automatic division wins are over. We need Houston to struggle at the QB position! 

As for Payton, he would be an upgrade over any coach we've ever had here. I'm kind of hoping for someone else though.

On 12/30/2015 at 10:28 PM, King Colt said:

Well if some guy in Houston said it it must be true. 

Brees holds the trump card IMO. "Keep Peyton and I'll restructure, don't and either cut me or pay me 30 million". Cutting Brees would be a PR nightmare.

Rumor on NFL Today was both the Dolphins and Colts were interested in trading for Peyton..