List of head coaches for next year

RockThatBlue

ill be ok with any of the following

sean payton (if let go)

bill cowher

josh mcdaniels

todd haley

jim harbough

chip kelly(just because I think we have the speed with hilton moncrief and dorsett to run his offense)

harold goodwin(Cards OC)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bavanlan said:

The only reason Belichick the GM still has a job is that Belichick the coach keeps winning despite him.

Belichick the GM is average at best.  Maybe.

It's kinda hard to separate the two. So he finds a bum of the street who looks like a world beater playing for the Pats. Is it coaching or spotting talent that had been missed before. Or being a good GM to go after the guys that fit your system.

The two roles don't work in a vacuum, probably part of the root cause of our current issues.

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

HC:: Sean Payton, Either Harbaugh

GM::: Louis Riddick

Since you're the first I've seen give a shout out to Louis Roddick,  let me say I think that's a great call.

He might be my favorite ESPN Insider.     I think he's an exceptionally bright, sharp guy.    I'd love to have him as my next GM.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since you're the first I've seen give a shout out to Louis Roddick,  let me say I think that's a great call.

He might be my favorite ESPN Insider.     I think he's an exceptionally bright, sharp guy.    I'd love to have him as my next GM.

I agree with that. I really hope he gets a look. He knows his stuff

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Of course he realizes most teams have a seperate GM and HC....That is precisely why he said, "what is killing this team, and even MOST organizations, is the fight for control"......he openly acknowledged that most teams are set up this way, and proceeded to cite it as an issue.... whether he is right or wrong is open for debate. He pretty clearly stated though that he understands the majority of teams have 2 separate employees in these positions....

No, I don't think he does.

If most teams (I'd say roughly 30 out of 32 teams) have separate HC's and GM's,  then, that set-up is working.

He's advocating for a system that doesn't happen often, and doesn't always work when it does happen.

So, when Bap writes,  "That's what's killing the team and even most organizations."   He doesn't realize that all the successful teams in the NFL have both a GM and a HC.

Remember,  this is Bap1331,  he's a kid, a teenager,  and most things are not obvious to him.

Nice kid,  but really, really, REALLY young.

EDIT:   Allow me to amend this....   if Bap DOES understand that almost all teams have a GM and a HC,  then he does NOT understand that that system is what works.

14 hours ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

You are probably one of my favorite posters here and when you post, I read. But McDaniels? That pick baffles me a bit, made some really off hand decisions with the Broncos. I do think he's an offensive genius though, but I don't know if I'd pick him to be a HC.

Very reluctantly. He's not at the top of my list, but if it were up to me, I'd definitely interview him. He's been a part of some great things in New England, and though he didn't do well in Denver, he had some high points in his short time there. He was very young, and the thinking would be that he's not only learned from his mistakes but also matured some. On his merits, I think he's a good candidate.

However, no one that's come from the Belichick tree has gone on to have success, especially in the NFL. They've all been disappointments. I'm holding that against him, and I have argued that I'm not interested because of that in the past. 

1. John Harbaugh would be my fav, but he won't be released.

2. Cowher if he wanted the job

3. Chud - Just make him HC

4. Saban

5. Panthers DC or Patriots DC

6. Payton - He has past results and a SB win but the man has always had a weak defense usually one worse then the Colt's defense.  I fear bringing him in would essentially lead to a continuation of what we have been doing which is Luck throwing the ball trying to outscore everyone.  

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

1. John Harbaugh would be my fav, but he won't be released.

2. Cowher if he wanted the job

3. Chud - Just make him HC

4. Saban

5. Panthers DC or Patriots DC

6. Payton - He has past results and a SB win but the man has always had a weak defense usually one worse then the Colt's defense.  I fear bringing him in would essentially lead to a continuation of what we have been doing which is Luck throwing the ball trying to outscore everyone.  

Patriots DC is Matt Patricia

I'll be okay with Sean Payton or Hue Jackson as a coach.

I don't know why everyone is so against Payton though, he came into a terrible New Orleans team that had nothing to work with and except Drew Brees and in 3 years won super bowl. I feel like he is just what we need, and we already have some pieces to work with.

For GM, I really like the Director of Player Development at Green Bay, Eliot Wolf.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just not a fan of his. He is a Great college Coach but when he Coached in the NFL he was mediocre. To the Saban fans out there I guess to be fair his short window may not be enough to judge him on and he is a fiery Coach and would have Andrew so who knows it could work? A lot of people thought Jimmy Johnson wouldn't work in Dallas after his days in Miami and it did but he also had a Great QB in Troy. Saban had suspect QBing with the Dolphins.

I agree, in fact, part of his skill is winning the living room.  I live in the South so I can tell you his persona over shadows most other coaches.  What does that mean, that means he simply has bigger, better, faster players. His schemes and concepts are pretty straight forward power football on both sides. He also insists on discipline ina  way that works really well in college.  In the NFL winning the living room means zero.  I don't see him as an NFL talent, he might be fine and I would be hopeful if we did get him but would really like to have a proven NFL guy who knows and enjoys working with grown men.  Saban has outwardly said he hates the idea of teaching players only to have them leave to compete against him in the future which he views as rather pointless.  He is a great teacher and I think should stay in college.

4 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I agree, in fact, part of his skill is winning the living room.  I live in the South so I can tell you his persona over shadows most other coaches.  What does that mean, that means he simply has bigger, better, faster players. His schemes and concepts are pretty straight forward power football on both sides. He also insists on discipline ina  way that works really well in college.  In the NFL winning the living room means zero.  I don't see him as an NFL talent, he might be fine and I would be hopeful if we did get him but would really like to have a proven NFL guy who knows and enjoys working with grown men.  Saban has outwardly said he hates the idea of teaching players only to have them leave to compete against him in the future which he views as rather pointless.  He is a great teacher and I think should stay in college.

Nice insight. Yeah I am skeptical of him being able to be successful at the NFL level but with Andrew Luck healthy you would think anyone could win 10 games at worse.

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I agree with that. I really hope he gets a look. He knows his stuff

if you get your wish get prepared for him calling on Nick Saban......maybe.  He said a couple weeks ago that everything he learned about football he learned from Saban and Belichick while in Cleveland.

i like Riddick, but I believe he was the one that started the whole "pep is a fall guy" nonsense.  No Louis, Pep stunk.

21 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

There are other teams that have talent on par with Alabama.  Let's face it, many of those supposedly superior Alabama players become forgettable NFL players.  I certainly don't think he has enjoyed the kind of overwhelming talent Jimmy Johnson hadat Miami or pete Carroll enjoyed at USC

Just now, BOTT said:

There are other teams that have talent on par with Alabama.  Let's face it, many of those supposedly superior Alabama players become forgettable NFL players.  I certainly don't think he has enjoyed the kind of overwhelming talent Jimmy Johnson hadat Miami or pete Carroll enjoyed at USC

He does, just look at the recruitment rankings every year.  The reason Alabama running backs are so good in college is because of the OLines they run behind.  The Heisman should go to the Alabama lines each year. I don't hate on Saban, I respect him, especially as a college coach.  He is the kind of guy who will not suffer long, either he wins or he's out, not really a good mentality fo the NFL.  It will be an interesting off-season.

Just now, Rally5 said:

He does, just look at the recruitment rankings every year.  The reason Alabama running backs are so good in college is because of the OLines they run behind.  The Heisman should go to the Alabama lines each year. I don't hate on Saban, I respect him, especially as a college coach.  He is the kind of guy who will not suffer long, either he wins or he's out, not really a good mentality fo the NFL.  It will be an interesting off-season.

I haven't payed attention in awhile, but Georgia and LSU were always right near the top in recruiting too.  In fact LSU currently has more NFL players than any other program.

Either he wins or he's out?  What is that based on?  His two yr stint with Miami?  It doesn't matter anyway because any coach who doesn't win is going to get kicked to the curb....that's the way the NFL works.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I haven't payed attention in awhile, but Georgia and LSU were always right near the top in recruiting too.  In fact LSU currently has more NFL players than any other program.

Either he wins or he's out?  What is that based on?  His two yr stint with Miami?  It doesn't matter anyway because any coach who doesn't win is going to get kicked to the curb....that's the way the NFL works.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2012/all/all

One or two almost every year.  I'm not saying he's not a good coach but he benefits big time from his ability to recruit.  I do think the bail out in Miami is a problem for him by the way, do you dismiss it?  

Whilst I like the idea of HC like Nick Saban, John Harbaugh etc, one name that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the DC for the Broncos Wade Phillips.

He has been a HC before  (I know some of you will say not a very good one) but he has lead the Cowboys to the playoffs twice and he has helped defenses such as that of the Texans when he was DC and currently with Denver ( who rank 1st against the run and pass, 1st in sacks and INTs.)

4 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Whilst I like the idea of HC like Nick Saban, John Harbaugh etc, one name that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the DC for the Broncos Wade Phillips.

He has been a HC before  (I know some of you will say not a very good one) but he has lead the Cowboys to the playoffs twice and he has helped defenses such as that of the Texans when he was DC and currently with Denver ( who rank 1st against the run and pass, 1st in sacks and INTs.)

Wade has had more than one chance at HC, and he's proven to be a very good DC. That's all.

46 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2012/all/all

One or two almost every year.  I'm not saying he's not a good coach but he benefits big time from his ability to recruit.  I do think the bail out in Miami is a problem for him by the way, do you dismiss it?  

I'm aware they recruit well, but let's not act like there is a difference between 12345.....

i dont know or care why he left Miami. Belichick quit on the Jets before he even met the team...he seems to have done alright.

The last two losses is a SIGN not a TEST!  Really sad what has happened to this Team. Grigson took a gamble and he lost. If we kept Bruce Arians that would not have happened. Irsay/Grigson made a huge mistake to let him go.

What we need now is to move forward to have a strong GM/HC with a strong personality like Bruce and an eye for identifying great coaches and developing OL and DL. Unless you have a strong line your skill guys and LB/secondary cannot do their thing. 

2 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

The last two losses is a SIGN not a TEST!  Really sad what has happened to this Team. Grigson took a gamble and he lost. If we kept Bruce Arians that would not have happened. Irsay/Grigson made a huge mistake to let him go.

What we need now is to move forward to have a strong GM/HC with a strong personality like Bruce and an eye for identifying great coaches and developing OL and DL. Unless you have a strong line your skill guys and LB/secondary cannot do their thing. 

Colts didn't let Arians go.  BA left because he got a HC job.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

if you get your wish get prepared for him calling on Nick Saban......maybe.  He said a couple weeks ago that everything he learned about football he learned from Saban and Belichick while in Cleveland.

i like Riddick, but I believe he was the one that started the whole "pep is a fall guy" nonsense.  No Louis, Pep stunk.

I think he just new our team wasn't very good and getting rid of Pep really wasn't going to do much 

On 12/20/2015 at 3:36 PM, Rally5 said:

I really don't want a college coach in any way shape or form.  I would prefer a proven NFL winner such as Cower, Chuckie, Payton, even Brian Billick.  I'm not in love with recycled failures like Josh McDaniels who had massive lapses in judgement so....I guess my list is pretty short.

Cowher, Chuckie, and Billick have been out of the league a long time.  The league has changed very much since they've last been on the sidelines (not only the rules, the way of the game, but also player attitudes and player-coach relationships).  Chuckie, IMO, is one of the most all-time overrated coaches, he won Dungy's superbowl and drove that team into the ground -- he talks a good game and seems like a workhorse, but iMO he just doesn't have the track record to back it up.

Of the 4 you mention, Payton is the only one I like at all -- and there's no guarantee he'll be let go.

I, personally, would be happy keeping Pagano and letting Grigson go -- also, I'd be happy to see us with a new D-Coordinator and ST-Coordinator -- give Pagano and Chud another chance as HC and OC.  (Doubt this will happen, though).

46 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

It is obvious that you are completely ignoring the dynamic that existed in 2012 with Pagano returning to the sidelines 

45 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Cowher, Chuckie, and Billick have been out of the league a long time.  The league has changed very much since they've last been on the sidelines (not only the rules, the way of the game, but also player attitudes and player-coach relationships).  Chuckie, IMO, is one of the most all-time overrated coaches, he won Dungy's superbowl and drove that team into the ground -- he talks a good game and seems like a workhorse, but iMO he just doesn't have the track record to back it up.

Of the 4 you mention, Payton is the only one I like at all -- and there's no guarantee he'll be let go.

I, personally, would be happy keeping Pagano and letting Grigson go -- also, I'd be happy to see us with a new D-Coordinator and ST-Coordinator -- give Pagano and Chud another chance as HC and OC.  (Doubt this will happen, though).

Won Dungy's Super Bowl......lol, does this crap ever end?

Just now, BOTT said:

Won Dungy's Super Bowl......lol, does this crap ever end?

Dungy built that team, one of the more dominating defenses in recent NFL history (Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Simeon Rice, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, etc... were all brought in and developed under Dungy and his 'Tampa 2').  

Gruden then went on to have 2 losing seasons in a row and eventually brought the Bucs to their demise.  So yes, many will agree with me (not just here, but throughout the NFL), that Gruden inherited a very good team that was built in line with Dungy's vision and Dungy's players, won a super bowl and then when he started tinkering around Gruden was fired and hasn't been in the NFL since.

I would be very disappointed if he was named our new HC.

Is everybody on here willing to accept the time frame necessary to install a new offense and new defense?  If Chud gets the ax again after a few games with a broken but gutsy 40-year-old at QB, the replacements have to worry.  If the players weren't playing hard, I'd be on board with the ax for Pags, but they appear to be making the effort.  Amazingly Grigson doesn't seem to understand line play and will never bring in the depth and quality necessary to compete.  Any new coach worth considering will know everything begins in the line. Whatever the outcome, the new management team needs to save Luck before he ends up gun shy.  I believe Pags would do a very good job if the opportunity affords itself.  I doubt he is that worried as my money is on him coaching somewhere next year whether or not it is here.  There are many teams that would no doubt prefer him over what they have. 

49 minutes ago, Derek George said:

If giants fire coughlin sign me up

Coughlin is old and IMO has lost control of that Giants' team (see OBJ's actions yesterday as one example).  We don't need a coach that has 1-2 years left in him, if we want Luck to be our long-term franchise QB -- we need someone that can come in and give him some consistency and a GM that can provide him an OL to protect him.

1 minute ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Dungy built that team, one of the more dominating defenses in recent NFL history (Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Simeon Rice, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, etc... were all brought in and developed under Dungy and his 'Tampa 2').  

Gruden then went on to have 2 losing seasons in a row and eventually brought the Bucs to their demise.  So yes, many will agree with me (not just here, but throughout the NFL), that Gruden inherited a very good team that was built in line with Dungy's vision and Dungy's players, won a super bowl and then when he started tinkering around Gruden was fired and hasn't been in the NFL since.

I would be very disappointed if he was named our new HC.

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and John Lynch were all brought in by Sam Wyche.  Anyway, Dungy was never GM, so the point is moot. I'm sure there are varies reason the Bucs went downward......not just "Gruden sucks."

5 minutes ago, bleevit said:

Is everybody on here willing to accept the time frame necessary to install a new offense and new defense?  If Chud gets the ax again after a few games with a broken but gutsy 40-year-old at QB, the replacements have to worry.  If the players weren't playing hard, I'd be on board with the ax for Pags, but they appear to be making the effort.  Amazingly Grigson doesn't seem to understand line play and will never bring in the depth and quality necessary to compete.  Any new coach worth considering will know everything begins in the line. Whatever the outcome, the new management team needs to save Luck before he ends up gun shy.  I believe Pags would do a very good job if the opportunity affords itself.  I doubt he is that worried as my money is on him coaching somewhere next year whether or not it is here.  There are many teams that would no doubt prefer him over what they have. 

Installing a new offense won't be that big of deal.  Would you rather keep the same putrid offense called under Pep?  There are many examples of a new OC taking over and it paying immediate dividends.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Installing a new offense won't be that big of deal.  Would you rather keep the same putrid offense called under Pep?  There are many examples of a new OC taking over and it paying immediate dividends.

There is no offense known to man that will succeed with the QB constantly running for his life.  You can install whatever you want but it won't work.  We haven't had a decent O-line here since Edge was running the ball.  I might scrap the O-line coach since he is probably burnt out trying to patch this mess up.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and John Lynch were all brought in by Sam Wyche.  Anyway, Dungy was never GM, so the point is moot. I'm sure there are varies reason the Bucs went downward......not just "Gruden sucks."

Lynch played for 3 years on 3 of Wyche's losing teams and didn't do anything (9 tackles, 11 tackles, 27 tackles) and Sapp and Brooks played on a losing team under Wyche as a rookie.  Dungy came in an implemented the Tampa 2 and all of the sudden Lynch went on to have a career that wound up turning him into a HOF finalist and Sapp and Brooks made the HOF by playing in that system).

Dungy then took his system and helped Polian draft and bring in players to fit into it to Indy and had much success because Dungy was a very good coach.

I am sure there are a variety of reasons as to why Gruden inherited a superbowl quality team and won a SB in his first year then had a crappy rest of his career which saw the Bucs become a bad NFL team, too. A major one of them is, IMO, Gruden was not a very good coach.

Just now, bleevit said:

There is no offense known to man that will succeed with the QB constantly running for his life.  You can install whatever you want but it won't work.  We haven't had a decent O-line here since Edge was running the ball.  I might scrap the O-line coach since he is probably burnt out trying to patch this mess up.

Well, you are stuck with the same Oline whether you install a new offense or not.  And some coordinators are better at adapting to poor Oline play than others.