Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams want Jeff Fisher to stay

Superman

Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis could be the same guy IMO. Fisher has been a HC since the mid 90's with 6 playoff appearances and a handful of wins; Lewis has been a HC for 12 seasons with 6 playoff appearances and zero wins. For whatever reason, GMs love them and keep them around and their jobs are always safe. Makes no sense to me anyways.

I used to like Fisher.  I thought he was a good coach.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized he actually hasn't accomplished all that much.  You could make a very strong case that he's the most overrated coach in the NFL.  Maybe the reason I liked him before was because his coaching in Tennessee made it easier for the Colts to win the AFC South....

5 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Does anyone get the feeling Jeff Fisher gets a free pass because he's a leader on the Competitions Committee and that he has "connections?" He's won the job based on relationships, not records.

No.  An owner isn't going to keep him because he is on the competition committee.  

7 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Does anyone get the feeling Jeff Fisher gets a free pass because he's a leader on the Competitions Committee and that he has "connections?" He's won the job based on relationships, not records.

Stan Kroenke couldn't care less about the Competition Committee. 

8 hours ago, amfootball said:

Jeff Fisher and Marvin Lewis could be the same guy IMO. Fisher has been a HC since the mid 90's with 6 playoff appearances and a handful of wins; Lewis has been a HC for 12 seasons with 6 playoff appearances and zero wins. For whatever reason, GMs love them and keep them around and their jobs are always safe. Makes no sense to me anyways.

Marvin Lewis has had one job, though. They had ups and downs, and I thought he'd get fired after 2010. They stuck with him, and they've been in the playoffs every year since then. I think he's gotten a lot of rope, but that's just one owner/GM sticking with a guy he likes. 

Jeff Fisher got years in TN, and then the Rams raced out to hire him. Not only that, they let him hire the GM. I don't get it. His teams are always mediocre. They'll have a couple big wins, but they always underwhelm, year after year. 

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

Marvin Lewis has had one job, though. They had ups and downs, and I thought he'd get fired after 2010. They stuck with him, and they've been in the playoffs every year since then. I think he's gotten a lot of rope, but that's just one owner/GM sticking with a guy he likes. 

Jeff Fisher got years in TN, and then the Rams raced out to hire him. Not only that, they let him hire the GM. I don't get it. His teams are always mediocre. They'll have a couple big wins, but they always underwhelm, year after year. 

Yeah, Fisher is more of a head scratcher.

42 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I like Jeff Fisher, they would be nuts to let him go. He might be on some mediocre Rams team right now, but he could potentially build them up down the line in the future, and I have to agree with Jules; he'd be a huge upgrade for defense. 

He is one of the few choices out there I would take over Pagano. And yes one also is sadly Sean Payton but he won't leave the Saints since he is a packaged deal IMO with Brees for a few more years. 

If we do replace Pagano I want someone GOOD. Not crap like Nick Satan and a bunch of other names. I want an upgrade not someone who is going to make me drink a bottle of tequila every Sunday because they are even worse.

17 minutes ago, Jules said:

He is one of the few choices out there I would take over Pagano. And yes one also is sadly Sean Payton but he won't leave the Saints since he is a packaged deal IMO with Brees for a few more years. 

If we do replace Pagano I want someone GOOD. Not crap like Nick Satan and a bunch of other names. I want an upgrade not someone who is going to make me drink a bottle of tequila every Sunday because they are even worse.

Nick Satan would totally screw the Colts up bad, like he did Miami. Totally not fit for being a coach in the NFL. 

I always have liked Jeff Fisher. He did bring that average Titans team to the SB in 1999, and even though that was a long time ago as of now, they did hold up against that super awesome amazing 'Greatest Show On Turf' Rams team. 1 yard shy of overtime. 

I feel he's always been troubled on offense. He's never had a good QB since Steve McNair, and Bud Adams totally screwed Fisher on that, later on with the Vince Young incident. 

If he came to Indy, he'd finally have another QB like he did with McNair. One that could lethally dice teams up. 

One more note - Jeff Fisher owns the Saints. lmao We are totally winless against him going back to 1996! 

The Saints have only beaten Tennessee twice in the past 20 years; once in 1993 when they were still called the Oilers and Warren Moon was there, and then again in 2011 after they fired Fisher. His Rams team slaughtered us in 2013 too with our old defensive coordinator. 

I can't say I know the rams like the back of my hand but have considered them to have pretty good young talent. Just lacking qb play, which we know is important.

However, I feel like they have underachieved with Fischer as coach. And the later years with the titans weren't exactly stellar.

I sure hope he is NOT a candidate to replace pagano when he's gone at end of season.

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Nick Satan would totally screw the Colts up bad, like he did Miami. Totally not fit for being a coach in the NFL. 

I always have liked Jeff Fisher. He did bring that average Titans team to the SB in 1999, and even though that was a long time ago as of now, they did hold up against that super awesome amazing 'Greatest Show On Turf' Rams team. 1 yard shy of overtime. 

I feel he's always been troubled on offense. He's never had a good QB since Steve McNair, and Bud Adams totally screwed Fisher on that, later on with the Vince Young incident. 

If he came to Indy, he'd finally have another QB like he did with McNair. One that could lethally dice teams up. 

One more note - Jeff Fisher owns the Saints. lmao We are totally winless against him going back to 1996! 

The Saints have only beaten Tennessee twice in the past 20 years; once in 1993 when they were still called the Oilers and Warren Moon was there, and then again in 2011 after they fired Fisher. His Rams team slaughtered us in 2013 too with our old defensive coordinator. 

Nicely written post Bogie. I can't refute anything you stated above nor would I want to either. Thanks for saying that Saban is an NFL train wreck too. I admire your courage there. Saying what needed to be said. 

18 hours ago, Bogie said:

I like Jeff Fisher, they would be nuts to let him go. He might be on some mediocre Rams team right now, but he could potentially build them up down the line in the future, and I have to agree with Jules; he'd be a huge upgrade for defense. 

He is responsible for that mediocre Rams team. That's the entire point. 

I also wonder how he got this reputation of having good defenses. His teams aren't good defensively, despite having good defensive players.

18 hours ago, Bogie said:

Average? Steve McNair, Eddie George, Jevon Kearse, Frank Wycheck, Samari Rolle, Blaine Bishop... 

You mention how long ago that was. His teams have been to the playoffs just five times in the fifteen years since then (plus a year when he was between jobs), and have won just two playoff games. He's 114-124 since then. Hasn't had a winning season or a playoff appearance since 2008.

Jeff Fisher is not a good head coach.

Also, he ran Steve McNair out of town. Locked him out of the building, literally. And the Titans were better with Vince Young, even though Fisher didn't want him. 

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, he ran Steve McNair out of town. Locked him out of the building, literally. 

I don't recall that at all. I thought Fisher was very supportive of McNair,  especially early on when many questioned his leadership and criticized him for being a running QB.  McNair was an underrated QB and as tough a player as there was. I liked him and Wycheck a lot. 

To your original point, yes, Fisher has underachieved with the Rams.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't recall that at all. I thought Fisher was very supportive of McNair,  especially early on when many questioned his leadership and criticized him for being a running QB.  McNair was an underrated QB and as tough a player as there was. I liked him and Wycheck a lot. 

To your original point, yes, Fisher has underachieved with the Rams.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/06/15/BL2006061500816.html

Second subheading.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nor should it. He does not have the ability to make the self changes it takes to coach pro players. He is a great college coach but there is a big difference coaching men over boys.

And you know this how?

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I wouldn't call it hate perse BOTT; Just that Saban is a better college coach than an NFL coach in the same situation as Steve Spurrier was. JMO. 

He coached 2 years in the NFL as a HC.  I don't know if he's cut out for the NFL, but I don't believe that short snapshot tells the whole story.  If we judged all coaches in such a short window when they had poor QB play very few would be respected.  I don't recall people raving about the patriots when they hired Belichick......based on his record with the Browns.

I just watched the Rams defeat the Bucs 31-23 & you know what I keep asking myself? Why do I feel like I'm watching the Sesame Street SB with Big Bird vs Tickle Me Elmo? Seriously though, I don't like NFL uniforms 1 solid color that look like shiny, neon ballet tights...

Okay, now I will respond to BOTT's post...

45 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He coached 2 years in the NFL as a HC.  I don't know if he's cut out for the NFL, but I don't believe that short snapshot tells the whole story.  If we judged all coaches in such a short window when they had poor QB play very few would be respected.  I don't recall people raving about the patriots when they hired Belichick......based on his record with the Browns.

You do make a good point. It is possible to fail in 1 city & succeed years later as a head coach in a new location. Pete Carroll is a perfect example of this as well as the grey hoodie as you astutely mentioned BOTT. I knew Bill was going to succeed because of what he showed me as a DC with the NY Giants in the early 90's. Plus, Art Modell basically cut Bill off at the knees moving the team to Baltimore & when your owner is planning on moving in the middle of a trying season the HC gets a pass to me because no one would succeed in an environment like that. 

In fairness to Nick Saban, if we never give a coach the chance to redeem themselves on a professional level then we as fans & media personnel are branding them with a emblematic NFL Scarlet Letter which is't right so I will concede that observation to you BOTT. 

To me though Saban is a guy who likes total control over a team where college kids follow his orders blindly with questioning them & a structure where the athletic director pretty much green lights whatever Nick wants & we saw for instance what a disaster it was when Paul Allen, owner of the Seahawks, gave Mike Holmgren full reign over GM duties & coaching duties, which is what Saban would demand or prefer if he entered the NFL again. I just get leery of college coaches who feel entitled & accustom to complete control of a franchise. 

If I recall correctly, while serving as HC of the Miami Dolphins, a reporter asked Nick if there was any truth to the rumor that Alabama was recruiting hard for Saban's services which he categorically denied & then left for the Crimson Tide anyway. Translation: If the last NFL memory fans have on you is reneging on a promise not to leave South Beach & then you do...It's hard for people to forget that.

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You do make a good point. It is possible to fail in 1 city & succeed years later as a head coach in a new location. Pete Carroll is a perfect example of this as well as the grey hoodie as you astutely mentioned BOTT. I knew Bill was going to succeed because of what he showed me as a DC with the NY Giants in the early 90's. Plus, Art Modell basically cut Bill off at the knees moving the team to Baltimore & when your owner is planning on moving in the middle of a trying season the HC gets a pass to me because no one would succeed in an environment like that. 

In fairness to Nick Saban, if we never give a coach the chance to redeem themselves on a professional level then we as fans & media personnel are branding them with a emblematic NFL Scarlet Letter which is't right so I will concede that observation to you BOTT. 

To me though Saban is a guy who likes total control over a team where college kids follow his orders blindly with questioning them & a structure where the athletic director pretty much green lights whatever Nick wants & we saw for instance what a disaster it was when Paul Allen, owner of the Seahawks, gave Mike Holmgren full reign over GM duties & coaching duties, which is what Saban would demand or prefer if he entered the NFL again. I just get leery of college coaches who feel entitled & accustom to complete control of a franchise. 

Yeah, I'm not sure about giving any coach total control.....not named Belichick.  And I'm sure he has tons of help behind the scenes.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yeah, I'm not sure about giving any coach total control.....not named Belichick.  And I'm sure he has tons of help behind the scenes.

Because I like you BOTT as a regular poster on here. I will tell you this. It irritates me immensely when fans can't forgive past mistakes or episodes of immaturity & give them a clean slate. To this day, I'm furious at MLB for not letting Pete Rose in the HOF because that honor is strictly based on stats alone that Rose reached on a diamond not his gambling addiction & I don't hold grudges nearly 30 years in duration. 

Yes, I know baseball & football are not related or brought up in this thread. All I saying is this: If America is indeed the land of 2nd chances, once Pete Rose goes in the hall; I will allow Nick Saban to coach in the NFL again with no objections from SW1. Translation: Neither scenario has a snowballs chance in hades in my lifetime I'm afraid. haha Sorry buddy. It is what it is. 

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He has a TON of help from smart people, and always has. It's a coalition, from Scott Pioli to Nick Caserio to Floyd Reese to Ernie Adams, etc., etc. Over the years, he's had a lot of good football people working with him. Of course, the buck stops with him, and he's involved in all the day to day and personnel decisions.