Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think these are good losses...

bap1331

Imagine if we were 7-0 right now. We'd be looking at paying luck more than Dalton and probably around 170 million with guarantees and all that yadayada.

The team would take a huge hit in the long term and we'd be stuck to those days where we have a qb but no defense or oline. We're also looking at a lot of key players after this season too that need resigning.

At 3-5, lucks value has definitely gone down more than 50%, we restructure Hilton and give decent contracts to those we will keep.

The best part is that we are still technically in the race for the playoffs. And this colts team gets scary in the playoffs. And that's considering that we had a below average defense last year. This team is much better.

So relax, take a chill pill, and get on the roller coaster of a season. If anybody gets out of trouble better, it's the colts. Ain't got that horseshoe on the helmet for nothing.

Imagine if we were 7-0 right now. We'd be looking at paying luck more than Dalton and probably around 170 million with guarantees and all that yadayada.

The team would take a huge hit in the long term and we'd be stuck to those days where we have a qb but no defense or oline. We're also looking at a lot of key players after this season too that need resigning.

At 3-5, lucks value has definitely gone down more than 50%, we restructure Hilton and give decent contracts to those we will keep.

The best part is that we are still technically in the race for the playoffs. And this colts team gets scary in the playoffs. And that's considering that we had a below average defense last year. This team is much better.

So relax, take a chill pill, and get on the roller coaster of a season. If anybody gets out of trouble better, it's the colts. Ain't got that horseshoe on the helmet for nothing.

So he'd take 6 years 60 Million, let's call it 80 Million to be generous... right.

They have no reason to give such a high price at his performance. If I were Jim irsay, I'd say, let's sign this contract now!!

So we shaft him on pay for one injured season, and what? Pretend the three superstar level seasons before this one just didn't happen?

And Andrew is just supposed to go "sure, that makes sense to me, let's do this!"?

No....

Uhhh...

So the losses cut his value in half, but the Colts can get scary in the playoffs???

Not following this line of thinking...

It's kind of a toss up here as to which thread is worse:

This one or the one that compared Luck to Painter.

Certainly been a rough day around these parts, it has.

Surprised not being compared to Art Schlichter, Greg Landry or Jeff George. Just some names from dreadful years.

Uhhh...

So the losses cut his value in half, but the Colts can get scary in the playoffs???

Not following this line of thinking...

Well when I watch his press conferences, he doesn't look to be a guy that's gonna walk into Irsay's office in the offseason and demand to be the highest-paid QB in the league. He looks like a kid that knows he's playing bad, doesn't have an explanation for it, and realizes he is in a very large part responsible for the situation this team is in right now. I can most certainly be wrong, but Luck doesn't strike me as the entitled type who believes he deserves the biggest NFL contract of all-time just because the media says that's what he's going to get.

Considering the path this season is headed down, I believe we'll see Luck play for a season under the franchise tag, then negotiate his long-term deal accordingly.

These are good losses in that it now forces Irsay to see what the franchise really has in terms of brain trust, coaching and player talent.  We see just how much Luck covered up the weaknesses the past 3 years.  Luck will get his money - deservedly so - everyone else but a few players are subject to a change in location.

in reality, these are all bad losses.  We haven't stood toe-to-toe with anyone for 4Qs and forced someone to have to make one more play than us to win.  In each loss this team has significantly underachieved or failed in some area.  Most of it is Luck and the turnovers frankly.  We are watching the same bad movie week after week.  

These are good losses in that it now forces Irsay to see what the franchise really has in terms of brain trust, coaching and player talent.  We see just how much Luck covered up the weaknesses the past 3 years.  Luck will get his money - deservedly so - everyone else but a few players are subject to a change in location.

in reality, these are all bad losses.  We haven't stood toe-to-toe with anyone for 4Qs and forced someone to have to make one more play than us to win.  In each loss this team has significantly underachieved or failed in some area.  Most of it is Luck and the turnovers frankly.  We are watching the same bad movie week after week.  

I liked the way we played in 4th Qtr, problem is we cant fall behind by 3 scores every game and expect Luck to perform his magic and then rely on a Defense that is bad.

I really don't think this season changes the outlook on Luck's contract much at all.

It certainly doesn't cut his value in half, and if we think it does then someone else will gladly write the check.

I agree 100%. I don't know that this will affect his contract at all, especially if he has been playing injured. Even if he isn't injured, there's a lot more potentially and/or probably affecting his game right now. i.e. coaching, O line, etc. Luck has carried the team for a couple/few years. It doesn't take much to go wrong to hinder that ability.

You're joking right? What you're saying is that the best QB to enter the league since Manning is now half as valuable after a bad start in his fourth year due to (mostly)  injury, bad coaching, and a terrible o line? That's just plain nonsense. 

You also expect Hilton to restructure his contract a year after he gets it? If you believe that is possible I have a bridge to sell you.

Oh and, there is no such thing as a good loss. 

Well when I watch his press conferences, he doesn't look to be a guy that's gonna walk into Irsay's office in the offseason and demand to be the highest-paid QB in the league. He looks like a kid that knows he's playing bad, doesn't have an explanation for it, and realizes he is in a very large part responsible for the situation this team is in right now. I can most certainly be wrong, but Luck doesn't strike me as the entitled type who believes he deserves the biggest NFL contract of all-time just because the media says that's what he's going to get.

Considering the path this season is headed down, I believe we'll see Luck play for a season under the franchise tag, then negotiate his long-term deal accordingly.

The thing is, Luck isn't gonna be the kid that walks into Irsay's office to discuss his contract -- at least not by himself.  The Wasserman Media Group and his uncle/agent Will Wilson will be there with him or by themselves.  They, and Andrew, are smart enough to know his value in this league.

Everyone else in the league recognizes Andrew is playing with a very bad o-line and has been plagued by injury. 

Sure he has made some poor choices and high throws, but he has shown flashes of brilliance and had the best first 3 season of any QB in league history.  His injuries aren't of the RG3 type where they will change his career path after recovering from them.

Any GM in the league that has a brain knows Luck will be back to his bonafide stud status and probably will recognize the importance of providing protection for a player as valuable as Andrew.

The thing is, Luck isn't gonna be the kid that walks into Irsay's office to discuss his contract -- at least not by himself.  The Wasserman Media Group and his uncle/agent Will Wilson will be there with him or by themselves.  They, and Andrew, are smart enough to know his value in this league.

Everyone else in the league recognizes Andrew is playing with a very bad o-line and has been plagued by injury. 

Sure he has made some poor choices and high throws, but he has shown flashes of brilliance and had the best first 3 season of any QB in league history.  His injuries aren't of the RG3 type where they will change his career path after recovering from them.

Any GM in the league that has a brain knows Luck will be back to his bonafide stud status and probably will recognize the importance of providing protection for a player as valuable as Andrew.

I don't disagree with any of that. But the one thing that might make Luck (and his entourage of reps) second guess how much they command, is knowing that there's a cap, and the Colts will NOT be able to build an elite offensive line if Luck's tied in for $130 million or so.

Also consider that Tom Brady makes $9 million this season, and Aaron Rodgers makes $22 million. If Luck makes more than either of them, wouldn't it feel to you that the Colts would be getting fleeced?

Luck is kind of that guy that will accept any real contract. Meaning, should grigson give him a lower than expected contract, Luck will accept it knowing how bad he's been this year, which is great for the team since we save $$$.

Luck should know how bad of a line Grigson has provided him with since he has been here and demand as much as he can get out of Grigson plus a guarantee for a better OL.

I don't disagree with any of that. But the one thing that might make Luck (and his entourage of reps) second guess how much they command, is knowing that there's a cap, and the Colts will NOT be able to build an elite offensive line if Luck's tied in for $130 million or so.

Also consider that Tom Brady makes $9 million this season, and Aaron Rodgers makes $22 million. If Luck makes more than either of them, wouldn't it feel to you that the Colts would be getting fleeced?

I can agree with you that they might consider taking an incentive-based or lower contract with a guarantee that the Colts promise to provide Luck an OL, but I don't think we'd be getting fleeced if Luck makes more than $9 million.  He is still, IMO, the best young QB in the NFL (although Cam Newton is starting to make a case for that) and I don't see anyone in the draft that will challenge that. I'm very confident Luck can get back to the form he was in the past couple of years and play at an elite level for 10+ years, so long as he can stay healthy.

I can agree with you that they might consider taking an incentive-based or lower contract with a guarantee that the Colts promise to provide Luck an OL, but I don't think we'd be getting fleeced if Luck makes more than $9 million.  He is still, IMO, the best young QB in the NFL (although Cam Newton is starting to make a case for that) and I don't see anyone in the draft that will challenge that. I'm very confident Luck can get back to the form he was in the past couple of years and play at an elite level for 10+ years, so long as he can stay healthy.

At this point, I feel like it's going to be very similar to Andy Dalton's deal, but for more guaranteed money.

Luck is kind of that guy that will accept any real contract. Meaning, should grigson give him a lower than expected contract, Luck will accept it knowing how bad he's been this year, which is great for the team since we save $$$.

I want to live in your fantasy world.

Thank you for the civil and we'll thought response! Lol.

I really don't think this season changes the outlook on Luck's contract much at all.

It certainly doesn't cut his value in half, and if we think it does then someone else will gladly write the check.

I have to agree, if anything maybe Luck due to his sloppy play would feel guilty in taking the NFLs largest contract, lol.  Luck is probably one of the nicest guy I've ever seen to grace the NFL, which I don't know is necessarily a good or bad thing. I still think the guys going to get paid substantially, maybe a little bit of icing off the cake if possible, or not. . . . . .. 

50% would be crazy due to one down year.