Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mariota vs Luck: who has the better arm?

Cribbsfaircatch

Luck is a more gifted QB. He was a once in a decade QB for a reason.

Mariota is working with a better OL. He also has better offensive coaching from Whisenhunt over Luck.

In my personal opinion, Mariota could create a nice little rivalry with Luck, but I don't think he will ever be as good as Luck when Andrew actually gets a decent OL in front of him.

Could be a touch thing Luck does tend to struggle with taking some off the ball sometimes .

Yeah, that's my issue with Luck. He puts too much juice on a lot of passes that need touch, not that his arm isn't strong enough, that's just foolish. I'd like to see Luck make passes like Manning did tonight. Put some touch on the ball, put it up and let your guys go get it.

Luck has a terrific arm. It's not even comparable to Marcus Mariota.

The real question should be Luck's decision-making, because his interceptions have been awful. Some of them being very questionable decisions, like the easy INT to the flats in the Jets game, or today's INT where he should have thrown it away and instead lobbed it randomly to an awaiting Titans player.

I didnt say anything. Im not trying to fight, just wanted to see what u all thought about arms.

Mariota was throwing freaking lasers out there today. He definitely has a better oline and coaching.

He does, they're great at running screens, dump offs and slants. They killed them with all of that today. that being said, I think Luck could run the Titans O very effectively.

In the fourth the Colts utilized some dump offs to Doyle in particular combined with some quicker routes and I thought Luck looked great. I'm going to be absolutely livid if the Colts come out looking stagnant, with garbage play calling against the Jags. This should be a good lesson for the Colts.

Luck has a terrific arm. It's not even comparable to Marcus Mariota.

The real question should be Luck's decision-making, because his interceptions have been awful. Some of them being very questionable decisions, like the easy INT to the flats in the Jets game, or today's INT where he should have thrown it away and instead lobbed it randomly to an awaiting Titans player.

Yeah the thing is he's said before he's needed to throw the ball away. Against the Titans he could've easily thrown those away or even ran out of bounds for a possible marginal gain. One would think he should be able to clean that up, but it seems like the O has been in a serious funk 11 out of 12 quarters.

The passes he struggles with are the the intermediate throws through tight windows that need to be kept low w/ high velocity. Those Rodgers type throws.

And show the int on the deep ball vs Buffalo this yr.

I do not think Luck is Rodgers level, no one is honestly, ARodgers is the most accurate passer this league has ever seen. This is hardly up for debate if you've watched his development and him coming up over the years.

I, however, have seen Luck make every single throw a QB can make in his time here, and he's just as capable as Rodgers at making any type of throw.

I strongly believe this.

Where Luck doesn't match up is consistency, and he sometimes, unnecessarily; puts too much zip on the ball. It was the same problem with Elway when he was young, because the guy had a cannon for an arm and would just sling it. In this game touch and accuracy is what is more important.  Brady, Rodger, and Manning are guys who have spent 1000s of hours throughout their careers fine tuning their mechanics, like there was this long article on how Rodgers changed his throwing motion and everything--it was an incredible read. Manning is Manning, no explanation needed here. I mean even with depleted arm strength he has enough to help his team win and not turn it over in crucial moments. Brady had that mentor who passed away some years ago (forgot his name), but anytime his mechanics would get sloppy he'd go to him and chip away at the imperfections.

Luck is very closeted when it comes to his personal life, not many people even know that he has a GF and that he uses a cellphone from 1999. So I may be wrong to suggest he doesn't have a mentor figure. But I think a coach/mentor of some sort could really help sculpt him, and build on his mechanics and fine tune his game. At times, Luck looks flawless in the pocket, and I'd watch games with my friends who are football heads, and they'd just droll watching him in the pocket. Then there are times where he is dreadful and throws all that out the window. Consistency is what he needs most, and it is a shame that we've focused so much on just trying to put tolls around him that we've lost site of actually helping his play get better. He should definitely be more developed by now, but I'm not too worried. He's only 26, and is in his 4th year in the league--he has shown flashes of greatness each of his years... some players never get there, but I have no doubt if we make right moves he'll get there quicker.

Obviously, we have to take into account what he's had these 3 years, and occurrences have played a role in the bad habits he's developed while also taking into account the bad habits he's always had. You should also understand that Mariota plays in a system that absolutely plays to all of his teams strengths. Whisenhunt did a great job of putting him in a position to succeed.

Yeah, that's my issue with Luck. He puts too much juice on a lot of passes that need touch, not that his arm isn't strong enough, that's just foolish. I'd like to see Luck make passes like Manning did tonight. Put some touch on the ball, put it up and let your guys go get it.

You think Manning has played a couple of more games than Luck?

The passes he struggles with are the the intermediate throws through tight windows that need to be kept low w/ high velocity. Those Rodgers type throws.

And show the int on the deep ball vs Buffalo this yr.

So let me get this correct. You say that Luck needs to throw the Rogers type of throws? Let me ask you a question. Did Luck stand on the side lines for three years learning from one of the great quarterbacks and have 8 years to hone his skills?

What's your point? Learning to put touch on your passes is not something that should take 15 years in the NFL.

If my memory serves me correctly Manning had a lot of picks in his first few years. If you compare the numbers Luck has and Manning's were in his first 3 plus years they a similar. Compare Lucks passes with Farve's and if you judge them by what you call touch then Farve never learned that with his interception rate.

He's got 4 years in the NFL, how much more time until some of you take the training wheels off...

Training wheels? Really? Some seem to think he needs to real it in a little. Luck is and will always be in a learning mode. The quarterback gets way too much blame for some plays they make. I say that because no one wants to give credit to the defensive players credit for making good plays. When your QB is a so called gun slinger as Manning is and Farve were you have to live with the bad things that come from that.

Once in a decade ?

Oh, because the media said so.

Got it.

He's been playing poorly recently, partly due to the coaching and players around him and partly due to just playing worse than usual, but yeah Luck is absolutely outstanding. I think people underestimate how bad the Colts roster has been outside of Luck over his first 3 years. It's not like Rodgers, Bress, Brady, Wilson, Manning, or anyone else in the world would've been able to carry them to a Super Bowl appearance from '12 through '14 either.

If my memory serves me correctly Manning had a lot of picks in his first few years. If you compare the numbers Luck has and Manning's were in his first 3 plus years they a similar. Compare Lucks passes with Farve's and if you judge them by what you call touch then Farve never learned that with his interception rate.

Why are you equating the ability to throw a touch pass to interceptions? There numbers were similar but Manning could and did throw touch passes from day one.

So throwing touch passes to the other team don't count?

I never mentioned interceptions, though, so I don't understand why you even brought that up. I said Luck needs to put more touch on his passes on occasion and I simply used Manning as an example because he just got done toasting the Lions with touch pass after touch pass. So, what exactly is the problem?