Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Romo more clutch than Peyton, Rodgers and Brady?

RockThatBlue

This thread is on the Highway to Hell.....I would love to be in the 4th with all of them....Luck and Brady are pretty clutch too...

haha I just pictured an NFL reporter a AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson: Is Tony Romo overrated as QB in your estimation? How does he rank to other greats in his field right now? 

In trademark scratchy voice fashion he says,"Please Stop. How many Championship Games has Romo ever played in next to Brady & Manning? That's right. A Big Fat Zero. No, Tony oh no ain't cluch. Pop the clutch maybe but not cross the finishline clutch. No way."

haha I just pictured an NFL reporter a AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson: Is Tony Romo overrated as QB in your estimation? How does he rank to other greats in his field right now? 

In trademark scratchy voice fashion he says,"Please Stop. How many Championship Games has Romo ever played in next to Brady & Manning? That's right. A Big Fat Zero. No, Tony oh no ain't cluch. Pop the clutch maybe but not cross the finishline clutch. No way."

I made that reference just for you SW...HA HA!

This argument becomes moot when you realize that "clutch" doesn't exist, 

Do you me in Tony Romo's case or just in general as an NFL QB Dustin? I will grant you that no single player wins a Championship alone that's true, but clutch as a state of mind to achieve the impossible & dig a team out of a dark abyss most certainly exists. Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, Manning, & Warner all possessed clutchness Dustin. 

romo has a storied history of huge blunders in the biggest moments. it's known as romo-ing

Never heard that one before. Good one.  I'm sure Tony's a nice guy. In truth, Emitt Smith, Michael Irvin, & Jerry Jones get on my darn nerves when they shout with glee "How bout them Cowboys!" Don't get me started fellas. LOL! 

I like your "Deliverance" signature there SDS. That Ned Betty scene creeps me out to this day man. Spine tingling stuff that still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Oink! Oink! 

If Brady and Manning had to play for owner/GM Jerry Jones and head coaches like Norv Turned and Bum Jr I'm guessing their fingers would be ringless too.

Romo's comeback drive to beat the Giants was pretty good. He did it without Dez Bryant too. Overall it is tough for me to say a QB is clutch though when he has won only 2 Playoff games in what 9 seasons. Andrew already has more Playoff wins with 3 in 3 seasons played than what Romo has in 9. Overall I am not sure where I would rank Romo this season either, he is a Top 10 QB but not 5. He isn't better than Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Peyton, or Ben IMO. I guess after that it's debatable where he should rank. Cant forget Brees either but the Saints have stunk lately.

If Brady and Manning had to play for owner/GM Jerry Jones and head coaches like Norv Turned and Bum Jr I'm guessing their fingers would be ringless too.

Really every debate from Romo detractors can come down to just two words - Jerry Jones. Amazing to me Romo has been as successful as he has there.

I guess it all depends on one's definition of 'clutch'? Did a QB have a comeback after putting his team behind? Manning just broke the all record of come from behind wins. How does Denver's defense figure into that? The word clutch has to vast of a meaning.

There are two definitions-  the 4th qtr comeback is team down one score in the 4th quarter, and there is a QB led scoring drive; though not necessarily a drive to take the lead. Only games ending in a win or tie are included.  Peyton had a 4th Qtr comeback because the Broncos were down one score, he led them on a scoring drive.  (this one created a tie). The final was a win (defense generated score).

The other, Game Winning Drive.  Self explanatory.

To me, game winning drives are important too, and the combo of the above is even better.    Here's that data since 2006 (and career in parentheses)

4t Qtr Comebacks  +  Game winning drives   in the regular season

Since 2006                -       (career)

Peyton Manning     29  -   (42 4QCB and 52 GWD)

Eli Manning           28  -   (26 4QCB and 31 GWD)

Tom Brady           26  -   (35 4QCB and 46 GWD)

Tony Romo          25  -   (24 4QCB and 29 GWD)

Anyone can gather a particular set of stats and make it represent a story.  Even the ones above (which I like better than than just 4th QCB) only tell part of the story, and that one is not including post season as well (where Brady shines above the others).

That said, (not a Cowboy fan here at all either) I do think Romo is underrated and undervalued by many.  Just beng on the Cowboys may even be part of it.

EDIT: 

Andrew Luck      9  -   (9 4QCB and 12 GWD)

There are two definitions-  the 4th qtr comeback is team down one score in the 4th quarter, and there is a QB led scoring drive; though not necessarily a drive to take the lead. Only games ending in a win or tie are included.  Peyton had a 4th Qtr comeback because the Broncos were down one score, he led them on a scoring drive.  (this one created a tie). The final was a win (defense generated score).

The otjer, Game Winning Drive.  Self explanatory.

To me, game winning drives are important too, and the combo of the above s even better.    Here's that data since 2006 (and career in parentheses)

4t Qtr Comebacks  +  Game winning drives   in the regular season

Since 2006                -       (career)

Peyton Manning     29  -   (42 4QCB and 52 GWD)

Eli Manning           28  -   (26 4QCB and 31 GWD)

Tom Brady           26  -   (35 4QCB and 46 GWD)

Tony Romo          25  -   (24 4QCB and 29 GWD)

Anyone can gather a particular set of stats and make it represent a story.  Even the ones above (which I like better than than just 4th QCB) only tell part of the story, and that one is not including post season as well (where Brady shines above the others).

That said, (not a Cowboy fan here at all either) I do think Romo is underrated and undervalued by many.  Just beng on the Cowboys may even be part of it.

EDIT: 

Andrew Luck      9  -   (9 4QCB and 12 GWD)

This is one stat I hope Luck don't have to many of in the future. :D

Really every debate from Romo detractors can come down to just two words - Jerry Jones. Amazing to me Romo has been as successful as he has there.

I don't get it. The Cowboys have one of the best rosters in the league. Everyone has been praising their offensive line the past two years, and for good reason. When 23 teams passed on Dez Bryant because of his issues, the Cowboys pulled the trigger and never looked back. Despite the ridicule, they took Travis Frederick in the first round, and now everyone else is slapping themselves in the forehead. They pulled off the La'el Collins signing.

Jerry Jones isn't as bad of a team runner as people make him out to be. Unconventional, absolutely, and not without his flaws. But it's hard to argue against the bottom line. Especially over the last five years or so.

He caught a lot of flak here for that hat as you can imagine. haha And of course the man purse. I am not sure there has ever been a superstar athlete more comfortable in his own skin. I envy that about him in a lot of ways.

He could wear a dress and you'd be okay with it. haha

Got to hand it to you, you never say anything negative about him even when it's warranted.

Rodgers is actually a funny topic there, cause his record is poor on comeback wins. I highly doubt he comes back from being down by ten twice and wins the game like Romo did last Sunday evening. With the Packers, once they're down by 10 or 14 in the second half, that's it, game over. 

But speaking of Romo, he is a really good QB that does not ever get any credit since his mishaps are highlighted the most. I've always thought he was a great QB, a top 5 QB in my book. I would not mind at all if Dallas won a SB and he finally got a ring, cause maybe then he could be respected like the three in the title of this thread that he's compared to. 

I don't get it. The Cowboys have one of the best rosters in the league. Everyone has been praising their offensive line the past two years, and for good reason. When 23 teams passed on Dez Bryant because of his issues, the Cowboys pulled the trigger and never looked back. Despite the ridicule, they took Travis Frederick in the first round, and now everyone else is slapping themselves in the forehead. They pulled off the La'el Collins signing.

Jerry Jones isn't as bad of a team runner as people make him out to be. Unconventional, absolutely, and not without his flaws. But it's hard to argue against the bottom line. Especially over the last five years or so.

He's done better as of late, but if reports are true that's due to the influence of his son Stephen. And even if he has been unfairly criticized as a GM, his coaching coaches have left something to be desired.