Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Buffalo Bills Weaknesses

Smonroe

I appreciate the Ball State grad from Buffalo's excellent breakdown of what looks like an elite Bills team. I didn't know much about the Bills but I expect them to push the Patriots for the AFC-E title. I don't see is winning this game, especially with high wind and rain predicted negating much of our downfield passing game. Turnovers will hurt is. Just glad to get one of our 4 toughest games out of the way early.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the Ball State grad from Buffalo's excellent breakdown of what looks like an elite Bills team. I didn't know much about the Bills but I expect them to push the Patriots for the AFC-E title. I don't see is winning this game, especially with high wind and rain predicted negating much of our downfield passing game. Turnovers will hurt is. Just glad to get one of our 4 toughest games out of the way early.

Are you speaking as a Colts or Bills fan. Couldn't get that from your post

While the possible 35-17 Bills win does make me chuckle, I do recall attending the home opener against the Raiders a couple seasons ago and we barely hung on against a mobile Terrelle Pryor...of course we have entirely new defensive personnel, but we struggled.

Remember, the Bills are a good team, as I tried to show.  BUT, it still depends on one player.  Tyrod Taylor.  This whole game depends on one player.  That's why I gave four scenarios.  

My 35-17 outcome could easily happen if Taylor is great.  Don't really expect that, but we do know this about this game.

The Colts will score some points.  The Bills will get some stops, especially if Taylor plays well, and gets the Bills defense some rest.  They've stopped Rodgers, Manning and Brady.  They can stop Luck too.  However, if Taylor is awful, and Luck gets more chances, the Colts will score more.  It's today NFL.  Its QB centered, so as good as the Bills roster is, it still rides on the quarterback.  But, if Taylor is good, the Bills will be one of the best teams in the league.  We just have no idea, so it can go either way.

This entire game relies on Tyrod Taylor.  Not Andrew Luck.  Not the Bills defense.  We know what both of those things can do. It's Taylor.  Simply because Buffalo is a quarterback away from being an elite squad.   

Again, if you put Andrew Luck on the Bills, they are a 14-2 or 15-1 team barring injuries.  I personally think Tyrod will be a decent starting QB.  I don't know if that means slightly above average, or slightly below average.  The whole monkey wrench that got thrown into this equation is that Taylor was electric in the preseason.  Not good.  But great.  So, it makes you wonder if it's real or not.  If it's real, the Bills are really good. 

The whole game, one way or other, is on him, IMO.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Remember, the Bills are a good team, as I tried to show.  BUT, it still depends on one player.  Tyrod Taylor.  This whole game depends on one player.  That's why I gave four scenarios.  

My 35-17 outcome could easily happen if Taylor is great.  Don't really expect that, but we do know this about this game.

The Colts will score some points.  The Bills will get some stops, especially if Taylor plays well, and gets the Bills defense some rest.  They've stopped Rodgers, Manning and Brady.  They can stop Luck too.  However, if Taylor is awful, and Luck gets more chances, the Colts will score more.  It's today NFL.  Its QB centered, so as good as the Bills roster is, it still rides on the quarterback.  But, if Taylor is good, the Bills will be one of the best teams in the league.  We just have no idea, so it can go either way.

This entire game relies on Tyrod Taylor.  Not Andrew Luck.  Not the Bills defense.  We know what both of those things can do. It's Taylor.  Simply because Buffalo is a quarterback away from being an elite squad.   

Again, if you put Andrew Luck on the Bills, they are a 14-2 or 15-1 team barring injuries.  I personally think Tyrod will be a decent starting QB.  I don't know if that means slightly above average, or slightly below average.  The whole monkey wrench that got thrown into this equation is that Taylor was electric in the preseason.  Not good.  But great.  So, it makes you wonder if it's real or not.  If it's real, the Bills are really good. 

The whole game, one way or other, is on him, IMO.

If you put Luck on the Bills' roster, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go 16-0.  Thankfully, he plays for the good guys!

Bills fan here. Also have always liked the Colts, Peyton was one of my favorite players ever and Luck is hard not to root for. I'll root for the Colts every game this year, but ONE.

Here's my take on the strengths and weaknesses:

DBs- Stephon Gilmore is working his way into the upper echelon of CBs, he had a fantastic second half of the year and will play the "Revis role" in Ryan's defense.

Aaron Williams is a solid safety who has a nose for the ball and can lay the lumber in the run game. Drafted as a CB out of Texas, he struggled, but has been solid at the safety position.

Corey Graham is also a converted CB who brings that veteran presence and should be a good compliment to Williams.

Ronald Darby scares the hell out of me against the Colts. He is filling in for McKelvin who had surgery in the offseason and won't return until week 8. He has struggled mightily in the preseason and will get eaten alive by Luck. I just hope the damage is somewhat minimized by the rest of the Bills D.

Nikell Robey is a good nickel corner and can run with the best of them. He struggled at times last year, but excelled in Pettine's D his first year (which is almost indentical to Ryan's D).

LBs- Kiko or not, this LB core is on the up-and-up. Preston Brown is a 2nd year player who filled it nicely for Kiko last year, which might by why Ryan let him go in the trade with Philly. Bradham is good vs. the run and has gotten better vs. the pass. He will be getting a nice contract this offseason. Manny Lawson can set the edge but struggles if he is needed in coverage.

DLine- Everyone knows where the strength is. Dareus will miss this game, but I can tell you that Corbin Bryant is no slouch.

Offensively, QB is obviously the biggest issue. Taylor showed the ability to make quick decisions from the pocket and distribute the ball to playmakers in the preseason. How that translates to the regular season has yet to be seen. If McCoy is hobbled, the back-up RBs will be able to handle the load. Karlos Williams, Bryce Brown, and Bobbie Dixon are solid. Bryce has the most versatile skill set, but his ball handling is poor. He almost single handedly cost the Bills the playoffs in a game vs. Kansas City last year by fumbling out the back of the endzone on a TD run during a 80 yard drive after half time. Would have been 20-3. Argh, alright moving on. WRs are really good if Taylor can get them the ball (Watkins, Woods, and Harvin). Charles Clay will also be the x-factor, again, if Taylor can get him the ball.

The entire year for the Bills rests on the QB (as usual). If they can go 9-7 with no running game and Orton as their freaking QB, this year HAS to go better....I hope.

Weather is looking like mid 70s with possibility of rain and wind, which could be an equalizer, who knows. I just hope it's a good game. Colts should be deep in the playoffs this year, but hoping Buffalo takes this first game at home.

Taylor is not an upgrade over Orton.

My guess is that Gilmore may actually play Andre Johnson, because he already locked him down last season, and Darby and a safety may play T.Y.  That's actually what I would do.  Double TY, and play straight on AJ.  The Bills can pressure the QB with or without blitzing.  

Great logic......

Except for the fact that you would still need to cover Phillip Dorsett, Donte Moncrief, Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen as well.....

You guys fail to realize they aren't the same bills they don't have the same great covermen from last year and Rex Ryan's defense can be decimated without an excellent secondary in which they do not have anymore only person great is Gilmore and he'll be dealing with Ty a rookie most likely on Johnson which is very bad on short intermediate throws the tightends and gore out of the backfield I don't trust thier corners one on one even in bad weather vs the quick twitch speed of Ty and Dorsett

You guys fail to realize they aren't the same bills they don't have the same great covermen from last year and Rex Ryan's defense can be decimated without an excellent secondary in which they do not have anymore only person great is Gilmore and he'll be dealing with Ty a rookie most likely on Johnson which is very bad on short intermediate throws the tightends and gore out of the backfield I don't trust thier corners one on one even in bad weather vs the quick twitch speed of Ty and Dorsett

Can I buy a punctuation mark?

The poster above talking about the Bills

Great logic......

Except for the fact that you would still need to cover Phillip Dorsett, Donte Moncrief, Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen as well.....

I'm sure the Bills would take their chances and let those guys beat them.  That's the point.

Taylor is not an upgrade over Orton.

100% wrong.  Taylor is an upgrade over Orton.  Orton was a scared statue that played for one reason.  To pay his bills one more time.  Orton was subpar, but still probably better than Manuel last year.  Taylor is an upgrade.  How much of one remains to be seen.  If it's slight, the Bills will still be mediocre.

Want someone's else's viewpoint on my Bills summary earlier in this thread, well, here ya go.  Notice that this article was published AFTER I told you all the same thing.  It's main point about Buffalo is that this game, as do all Buffalo Bills games, falls directly on the shoulders of the Tyrod Taylor.  As it always does.  The Bills overall roster, outside of QB, is almost always better than who we play.  We don't have a quarterback.  Take a look.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/super-bowl-sleeper-pick-bills-043559686.html

OK, I got to read a few posts. Some were extremely insightful, and some were hilarious. Let me give you my take on weaknesses from a Bills fan POV:

-QB. Obviously, no one knows what to expect here. I consider it a weakness because he will need to be good to win, so there is a lot of pressure. Taylor has also not yet proven he can make big plays through the air. 

-Missing players. Specifically, McKelvin and Dareus. I actually believe McKelvin's absence is much bigger, as the d-line is so deep and good, but both will hurt. If Darby isn't getting help, and if Buffalo isn't getting to Luck, it's going to be a very tough day for Buffalo.

-Kicking. Let's just face it: Carpenter has looked awful. The Bills need to be confident that if they get to the opposing 30, they will get points. The game most certainly could come down to a FG.

-Run defense. Yes, it looked much improved in the preseason, but again, Dareus is out, and this is the regular season. 

I believe this is what Indy's coaches are looking at game one.

The poster above talking about the Bills

I'm sure the Bills would take their chances and let those guys beat them.  That's the point.

go ahead and let them...Go watch film on teams that had the same thought -except Dorsett,..he's the rookie.-

And you say it is up to Tyrod, he's the unknown,..you realize the same can be said about the INDI defense front 7 right?...mostly new and unknown.  So if Tyrod has a good game, could be the front 7's fault, but if he has a bad game, the same could be said.

I think it is more on the defense against Tyrod rather than the other way around,...Just like it is Bills defense Vrs. Luck.

And the Rams d-line is atleast = to theBills, and Bills won't had Darius.  After the first couple drives Vrs the Rams in preseason -1st team vrs 1st team- The colts o-line settled down and started playing VERY well vrs them.  The Colt O just walked the field at will after that.  then the second teams took over and it restarted more of an equal game.

Taylor will probably run for a 100 yards against the Colts because...well, that's just what seems to happen to the Colts when they go up against running QB's. I expect poor tackling from the Colts because...well, that's just their history.

When did the 2015 Colts defense ever go against a running QB? Or, if you wish, how many starters on the last Colts D to face a running QB are on this team?

Do you expect the Dolphins to go undefeated because...well, that's their history?

OK, I got to read a few posts. Some were extremely insightful, and some were hilarious. Let me give you my take on weaknesses from a Bills fan POV:

-QB. Obviously, no one knows what to expect here. I consider it a weakness because he will need to be good to win, so there is a lot of pressure. Taylor has also not yet proven he can make big plays through the air. 

-Missing players. Specifically, McKelvin and Dareus. I actually believe McKelvin's absence is much bigger, as the d-line is so deep and good, but both will hurt. If Darby isn't getting help, and if Buffalo isn't getting to Luck, it's going to be a very tough day for Buffalo.

-Kicking. Let's just face it: Carpenter has looked awful. The Bills need to be confident that if they get to the opposing 30, they will get points. The game most certainly could come down to a FG.

-Run defense. Yes, it looked much improved in the preseason, but again, Dareus is out, and this is the regular season. 

I believe this is what Indy's coaches are looking at game one.

I really like reading opposing teams fans opinions, especially when they're logical and objective like yours.

I think what you said about your QB applies to the entire game. No one really knows what to expect. The first games of the season are always like that. Add in a new coach, your new QB, our new D, our new FAs... No one can know what to expect.

I'm tired of reading how bad our O line is or "this is seriously our defense?" threads.

How about we dissect the Bills weaknesses (and strengths, if you prefer)?  This is what game planning is all about.

I'll start - I don't think their DBs are that great.  If our O line gives Andrew any time to throw, he should be able to pick them apart.  We have the combination of quick receivers who can stretch it as well as big body possession guys. 

Also - I'm not sure who's going to start at RB for them?  Has McCoy even played yet?  And their O line isn't stellar, they have some question marks.  Richie I hasn't played in a real game in how long?

Finally, the obvious question - how will we gameplan their QB?  If we keep him contained, does he have the arm and football IQ to look for the open man?

I was listening to the safety blitz this morning with rodney harrison and he obviously hates the Colts. It was funny listening to him talk about how the Bills will win this Sunday.

The truth is, sure the Bills can win. They have an outstanding defense, and they do have a somewhat unknown quarterback who might give us some issues with his legs. We are also a team that historically does not play well in the first week. Add in the mix that anything can happen in week 1. However, the truth also is that if we get up by a few scores in this game then we could very easily run away with it.

Yes, the Bills have a fighting chance. As fans we should not think this an automatic win. 

The Colts are favored for a reason, but that does not guarantee anything. 

My prediction is Colts 24 Bills 13.

No Colts fan here is sleeping on the Bills.  I think most of us agree that they are a solid team and if any of us watched their preseason games (and I did) they saw Taylor making some pretty amazing plays.  Keep in mind it was against defenses that weren't game planning as they normally would, but his abilities and mechanics still looked great.  I'm expecting the Bills to really put pressure on the Patriots this year to challenge for the AFC East  I think this is the first year in like 20 where the Pats were't guaranteed at least a wildcard spot at the beginning of the year.  

That defense scares me, especially the front 7.  Having Gore in the backfield is certainly a plus because he flat out battles for extra yards and that's all we need in this game.  Someone who can keep the chains moving.  That said, if we can get a decent running game going then that opens up the defense for play-action.  Luck has all kinds of throwing options.  If we can keep the Bills in a nickel defense then it will give us mismatches with Allen, Fleener and Gore coming out of the backfield.

I expect this to be a defensive game where turn-overs are even more critical to a win.  If our front 7 can actually get pressure on Taylor while still being able to contain his escapes then I think we hae a good chance to win.  Additionally, we can't let the Bills sustain running drives.  Go Colts!   

OK, I like reading other boards to make me feel better in what I assume about other teams and their weaknesses.  So, I will be gracious and give you the entire Buffalo story, so you all can stop wondering!

The Bills roster is loaded.  Period.  Except for one thing.  We don't have a quarterback.  Outside of QB, I don't think 95% of Bills fans would trade our roster for any other roster in the NFL.....hands down.  Except that, I think we would trade our entire roster for a franchise quarterback and then just start over.  Not sure if that makes sense, but it does to a Bills fan.  Bottom line is that Bills are one of the most talented football teams, if not the most talented, outside of the QB position, which we all know is the great equalizer.  If Andrew Luck was the Bills QB, the Bills would be landslide favorites to win the AFC.......easily.

So, that's where the Bills are right now.  Now to my primer for you guys.

Our Weaknesses.  Quarterback.  We all know this.  Tyrod Taylor looked almost perfect in preseason, but we all know it's preseason.  So, it pretty much means nothing.  Here's what we do know.  He'll be the best athlete on the field Sunday.  He's a tireless worker, and a great person.  Translation, he's not RG3.  He has a great football mind.  He was loved by the Ravens, just never got a chance.  They tried to bring him back.  Two former Ravens coaches also tried to bring him in as their quarterback this offseason.  That speaks for something.  He chose Buffalo because that was his best chance to play.  Rex actually tried to trade for him when with the Jets.  The former Ravens teammates love him, the Virginia Tech community loved him, and it's fun to root for him.  His knock was that he is inaccurate as a passer.  None of that showed in the preseason.  He was deadly accurate (Again, it's preseason, who cares).  He's short.  He's inexperienced.  Nobody has any idea how he'll do when in live games, so he's the wildcard in this game.  I can say this.  If he plays like he played in the preseason (again, I get it, fat chance), the Bills will have no problem beating you guys at home.  None of us expect that though.

The rest of the Bills offense is pretty good.  McCoy is the runner.  And there is a great rookie named Karlos Williams behind him.  Both are more than capable runners.  Even the third stringer Bryce Brown is also talented. The wide receiver group is pretty good too.  Watkins is the big play guy.  Woods is the great hands guy.  Harvin is Harvin.  He will single handedly win some games by himself and will disappear other games.  Although, he's the #3 slot guy.  #4 is Chris Hogan, who may have the surest hands on the team.  And #5 is Marquis Goodwin, who may be the fastest guy in the NFL.  He qualified for the Olympics this past summer.  Charles Clay is the big, athletic Tight End free agent acquired from Miami, and is a pretty good player as well.  The offensive line is slightly above average.  But with any kind of quarterback play, they will be fine.  Not great, but not bad.  Don't really worry about them too much.  A decent QB will elevate them a bit as well.

Second, the Bills defense is nasty.  Period.  They have a nasty front four, although you guys catch a huge break because Marcell Dareus is suspended for game one.  Of course he is, right?  His last name isn't Tom Brady!  That's actually significant, although the Bills depth is deep on the defensive line as well.  The linebackers are very good, deep, and athletic as well.  Someone mentioned Kiko Alonso earlier in the thread.  He's irrelevant, because he didn't play a snap last year, so his not being here doesn't change the defense at all from last year.  The safeties are terrific as well.  Corey Graham is smart, and Aaron Williams is a stud.  Period.  No weaknesses there.  Now, here is the weak link.  Corners.  Stephon Gilmore on one side is solid.  Not great, but solid.  Our other corner is out, so Luck may get to pick on a rookie.  A rookie in Ronald Darby who looks awful.  However, he looks awful, because Rex made him cover man in the preseason with no help to learn in a hurry.  My guess is that Gilmore may actually play Andre Johnson, because he already locked him down last season, and Darby and a safety may play T.Y.  That's actually what I would do.  Double TY, and play straight on AJ.  The Bills can pressure the QB with or without blitzing.  They also shut down the best QB's in the league last year.  Pretty incredible actually.  Look at last year's stats in games in the last quarter of the season.......and the defense is exactly the same this year.....

Aaron Rodgers - 17/42, 185, 0TDs, 2 INTs, 34.3 rating

Peyton Manning - 14/20, 173 yards, 0TDs, 2 INTs, 56.9 rating

Tom Brady - 8/16, 80 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INT's, 64.6 rating

They won't be timid of Luck, but you also can't completely shut down a franchise quarterback.  I understand that.

In summary, this Bills team is extremely talented.  They are playing at home in one of the best atmosphere's in the NFL.  It's a football city, with great new owners, and it's Rex's first game.  The stadium is difficult on opposing teams, and it will be jacked up for this one. This Bills team was 9-7 a year ago.  They lost not one starting player (They cut one in Fred Jackson), but upgraded to McCoy at RB, Clay at TE, Harvin at #3 WR, and everybody else moved a spot down on the depth chart (we lost one non-athletic TE starter in Scott Chandler and replaced him with Clay at TE).  So, this isn't a transitioning team.  It's a 9-7 team from a year ago, that didn't lose a starter, and signed some big time upgrades.  The loss of Fred Jackson (and his mate CJ Spiller) hurts leadership, but everything else is there for this team to be solid.  It will be a contender if Tyrod Taylor is any kind of quarterback whatsoever. 

Four types of predictions for this game. 

If Tyrod Taylor is a terrific player like he has been all preseason, the Bills will hammer the Colts, 35-17.

If Tyrod Taylor is a mediocre QB, the Bills win 24-20.

If Tyrod Taylor is a slightly below average QB, the Colts win 28-20.

If Tyrod Taylor stinks, the Colts win 35-14.

Nobody knows.  But hopefully for you Colts fans, you get a tiny bit of insight of just how dangerous the Bills are, if they get play at the quarterback position in any way, shape or form that is average or above. 

Good Luck on Sunday.  I'm a Bills season ticket holder, but I went to school at Ball State.  I saw my 90s Bills pound the Colts endlessly in the RCA and Hoosier Dome days.  You all have had the great fortune of back to back franchise QBs in the last 15 or so years......enjoy it.......because one day it will end. 

I still hate you for the 90's.  I'll never forget the beatings Bruce Smith used to put on Jack Trudeau...merciless!  Great post!

Bills don't play well at home in September for some reason....their secondary is very questionable

Interesting that you would think this. 

We played Miami just fine last year in our home opener. Took New England down to the wire the in the home/season opener the year before and followed that game up with a win over Carolina at home week 2.

The secondary does have questions with the loss of two starting safeties over the last two years via free agency and with McKelvin sidelined till week 6. We moved Graham, who is a very capable corner, to safety this off season. I saw some posts suggesting that we would play with only one safety this game. I have not heard that anywhere else, but if true, I guess my thinking is that Aaron Williams is that lone safety and we play Graham at his traditional CB spot. Will be interesting to see how Darby plays. He has a lot of ability but no doubt QBs are going to want to try to pick on him this year.

Edited by 21isSuperman

A few thoughts from a Bills fan point of view.

I know it is only preseason, but holy cow, I can't remember the last time our team, offense in particular looked so smooth. Every QB and RB on the roster moved the ball with ease. Mistakes were almost entirely nonexistent. It was  a breath of fresh air. Certainly better than our usual showings in pre-season over the last 10 years.

Probably the #1 thing I am excited for this year other than Tyrod Taylor is our hopefully new and approved o-line. With two new starting interior lineman and a new offensive philosphy they really are starting the season off with a clean slate. Like the QBs and RB's, they looked really good in preseason. If we get solid slightly above average o-line play from our line this year that is going to be a HUGE difference in the success of this team.

Again, I know preseason is not a great predictor at all of what may happen in the regular season, but with as smoothly as the entire offense played, I would be legitimately shocked if they came out in the regular season and looked confused and not ready with penalties, misalignments, misreads etc.

Now with the Colts, it starts and ends with Luck. Were talking about the one guy right now who is probably the best in the business currently at scoring from anywhere on the field if you give him just a split second and a small opening. I'm thinking back to that amazing TD pass where he stepped up into the pocket kind of on the run and threw a long strike in the playoffs, I think against the Bengals. Things can be going great for our Bills defensively and all it will take is one play and BAM!, TD.

At the end of the day, the key to this game for the Bills will be can they establish a dominant running game and can Tyrod make the clutch passes he showed in pre-season. Just manage the game and make the plays on the crucial downs.

Good Luck tomorrow, err, I mean hopefully Bad Luck.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I really like reading opposing teams fans opinions, especially when they're logical and objective like yours.

I think what you said about your QB applies to the entire game. No one really knows what to expect. The first games of the season are always like that. Add in a new coach, your new QB, our new D, our new FAs... No one can know what to expect.

Thank you. I absolutely agree. Your d-line, our o-line, QB, and coaching staff have drastically changed (along with some specific positions on both teams). This can throw the "perfect" gameplan out the window after the first two drives. 

A few thoughts from a Bills fan point of view.

I know it is only preseason, but holy cow, I can't remember the last time our team, offense in particular looked so smooth. Every QB and RB on the roster moved the ball with ease. Mistakes were almost entirely nonexistent. It was a breath of fresh air. Certainly better than our usual showings in pre-season over the last 10 years.

Probably the #1 thing I am excited for this year other than Tyrod Taylor is our hopefully new and approved o-line. With two new starting interior lineman and a new offensive philosphy they really are starting the season off with a clean slate. Like the QBs and RB's, they looked really good in preseason. If we get solid slightly above average o-line play from our line this year that is going to be a HUGE difference in the success of this team.

Again, I know preseason is not a great predictor at all of what may happen in the regular season, but with as smoothly as the entire offense played, I would be legitimately shocked if they came out in the regular season and looked confused and not ready with penalties, misalignments, misreads etc.

Now with the Colts, it starts and ends with Luck. Were talking about the one guy right now who is probably the best in the business currently at scoring from anywhere on the field if you give him just a split second and a small opening. I'm thinking back to that amazing TD pass where he stepped up into the pocket kind of on the run and threw a long strike in the playoffs, I think against the Bengals. Things can be going great for our Bills defensively and all it will take is one play and BAM!, TD.

At the end of the day, the key to this game for the Bills will be can they establish a dominant running game and can Tyrod make the clutch passes he showed in pre-season. Just manage the game and make the plays on the crucial downs.

Good Luck tomorrow, err, I mean hopefully Bad Luck.

wish you guys a successful season just not the game tomorrow haha take down the pats for us and we'll be in our way

I'm tired of reading how bad our O line is or "this is seriously our defense?" threads.

How about we dissect the Bills weaknesses (and strengths, if you prefer)?  This is what game planning is all about.

I'll start - I don't think their DBs are that great.  If our O line gives Andrew any time to throw, he should be able to pick them apart.  We have the combination of quick receivers who can stretch it as well as big body possession guys. 

Also - I'm not sure who's going to start at RB for them?  Has McCoy even played yet?  And their O line isn't stellar, they have some question marks.  Richie I hasn't played in a real game in how long?

Finally, the obvious question - how will we gameplan their QB?  If we keep him contained, does he have the arm and football IQ to look for the open man?

Bills fan here- I think the weakesses are mostly in terms of the uknowns...

1. OLine gonna be any good? Looked good in pre-season, but thats well....pre-season.

2. Is Shady truly healthy?

3. Can Taylor play when the bright lights are on? He looked really good in pre-season, but see point one...

Secondary is strong at Safety (aaron williams and cory graham) and one CB position (gilmore). Darby is a rookie and I don't like that with Andre and TY with Luck tossing it to them. I think Luck will go after Darby early and often as Leodis McKelvin is injured.

DLine and LB's are stellar. No Dareus so that will help your run game alot.

OK, I like reading other boards to make me feel better in what I assume about other teams and their weaknesses.  So, I will be gracious and give you the entire Buffalo story, so you all can stop wondering!

The Bills roster is loaded.  Period.  Except for one thing.  We don't have a quarterback.  Outside of QB, I don't think 95% of Bills fans would trade our roster for any other roster in the NFL.....hands down.  Except that, I think we would trade our entire roster for a franchise quarterback and then just start over.  Not sure if that makes sense, but it does to a Bills fan.  Bottom line is that Bills are one of the most talented football teams, if not the most talented, outside of the QB position, which we all know is the great equalizer.  If Andrew Luck was the Bills QB, the Bills would be landslide favorites to win the AFC.......easily.

So, that's where the Bills are right now.  Now to my primer for you guys.

Our Weaknesses.  Quarterback.  We all know this.  Tyrod Taylor looked almost perfect in preseason, but we all know it's preseason.  So, it pretty much means nothing.  Here's what we do know.  He'll be the best athlete on the field Sunday.  He's a tireless worker, and a great person.  Translation, he's not RG3.  He has a great football mind.  He was loved by the Ravens, just never got a chance.  They tried to bring him back.  Two former Ravens coaches also tried to bring him in as their quarterback this offseason.  That speaks for something.  He chose Buffalo because that was his best chance to play.  Rex actually tried to trade for him when with the Jets.  The former Ravens teammates love him, the Virginia Tech community loved him, and it's fun to root for him.  His knock was that he is inaccurate as a passer.  None of that showed in the preseason.  He was deadly accurate (Again, it's preseason, who cares).  He's short.  He's inexperienced.  Nobody has any idea how he'll do when in live games, so he's the wildcard in this game.  I can say this.  If he plays like he played in the preseason (again, I get it, fat chance), the Bills will have no problem beating you guys at home.  None of us expect that though.

The rest of the Bills offense is pretty good.  McCoy is the runner.  And there is a great rookie named Karlos Williams behind him.  Both are more than capable runners.  Even the third stringer Bryce Brown is also talented. The wide receiver group is pretty good too.  Watkins is the big play guy.  Woods is the great hands guy.  Harvin is Harvin.  He will single handedly win some games by himself and will disappear other games.  Although, he's the #3 slot guy.  #4 is Chris Hogan, who may have the surest hands on the team.  And #5 is Marquis Goodwin, who may be the fastest guy in the NFL.  He qualified for the Olympics this past summer.  Charles Clay is the big, athletic Tight End free agent acquired from Miami, and is a pretty good player as well.  The offensive line is slightly above average.  But with any kind of quarterback play, they will be fine.  Not great, but not bad.  Don't really worry about them too much.  A decent QB will elevate them a bit as well.

Second, the Bills defense is nasty.  Period.  They have a nasty front four, although you guys catch a huge break because Marcell Dareus is suspended for game one.  Of course he is, right?  His last name isn't Tom Brady!  That's actually significant, although the Bills depth is deep on the defensive line as well.  The linebackers are very good, deep, and athletic as well.  Someone mentioned Kiko Alonso earlier in the thread.  He's irrelevant, because he didn't play a snap last year, so his not being here doesn't change the defense at all from last year.  The safeties are terrific as well.  Corey Graham is smart, and Aaron Williams is a stud.  Period.  No weaknesses there.  Now, here is the weak link.  Corners.  Stephon Gilmore on one side is solid.  Not great, but solid.  Our other corner is out, so Luck may get to pick on a rookie.  A rookie in Ronald Darby who looks awful.  However, he looks awful, because Rex made him cover man in the preseason with no help to learn in a hurry.  My guess is that Gilmore may actually play Andre Johnson, because he already locked him down last season, and Darby and a safety may play T.Y.  That's actually what I would do.  Double TY, and play straight on AJ.  The Bills can pressure the QB with or without blitzing.  They also shut down the best QB's in the league last year.  Pretty incredible actually.  Look at last year's stats in games in the last quarter of the season.......and the defense is exactly the same this year.....

Aaron Rodgers - 17/42, 185, 0TDs, 2 INTs, 34.3 rating

Peyton Manning - 14/20, 173 yards, 0TDs, 2 INTs, 56.9 rating

Tom Brady - 8/16, 80 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INT's, 64.6 rating

They won't be timid of Luck, but you also can't completely shut down a franchise quarterback.  I understand that.

In summary, this Bills team is extremely talented.  They are playing at home in one of the best atmosphere's in the NFL.  It's a football city, with great new owners, and it's Rex's first game.  The stadium is difficult on opposing teams, and it will be jacked up for this one. This Bills team was 9-7 a year ago.  They lost not one starting player (They cut one in Fred Jackson), but upgraded to McCoy at RB, Clay at TE, Harvin at #3 WR, and everybody else moved a spot down on the depth chart (we lost one non-athletic TE starter in Scott Chandler and replaced him with Clay at TE).  So, this isn't a transitioning team.  It's a 9-7 team from a year ago, that didn't lose a starter, and signed some big time upgrades.  The loss of Fred Jackson (and his mate CJ Spiller) hurts leadership, but everything else is there for this team to be solid.  It will be a contender if Tyrod Taylor is any kind of quarterback whatsoever. 

Four types of predictions for this game. 

If Tyrod Taylor is a terrific player like he has been all preseason, the Bills will hammer the Colts, 35-17.

If Tyrod Taylor is a mediocre QB, the Bills win 24-20.

If Tyrod Taylor is a slightly below average QB, the Colts win 28-20.

If Tyrod Taylor stinks, the Colts win 35-14.

Nobody knows.  But hopefully for you Colts fans, you get a tiny bit of insight of just how dangerous the Bills are, if they get play at the quarterback position in any way, shape or form that is average or above. 

Good Luck on Sunday.  I'm a Bills season ticket holder, but I went to school at Ball State.  I saw my 90s Bills pound the Colts endlessly in the RCA and Hoosier Dome days.  You all have had the great fortune of back to back franchise QBs in the last 15 or so years......enjoy it.......because one day it will end.

Good Luck to you all the rest of the way. I think I almost nailed my analysis on the Bills. Hopefully some of you enjoyed the insight. The Bills are a good football team. You guys will bounce back. We all share a common hate for Brady. Been nice, hopefully the Bills can make the playoffs and see you guys again.