Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Line.....

needanoline63

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't play more 1 gap and we get a true NT I'm wondering if we'd have any interest in Terry Williams with the Chicago Bears?  I see he just got released.  A lot of people on this forum were high on him coming out of East Carolina before the draft this year.  I watched the Bears vs Browns game replay today and he looked to be pretty stout.  I remember he was on some of Dustins mock drafts.

"Beyond that, the kid who popped out the most for me was 340-pound Terry Williams.

The young man his teammates call “Swamp Monster” was unblockable at times, played sideline to sideline and could fill a huge need for the Bears with the pending suspension of Jeremiah Ratliff and the conditioning and injury concerns for Eddie Goldman.

Despite being a first-team All-American at East Carolina, Williams is an undrafted rookie free agent who wasn’t signed until after attending a three-day tryout at the Bears rookie minicamp.

He is also the only true 3-4, zero technique on the roster, and against the Browns he looked like a guy who could really help this year."

http://www.chicagofo...finale/av5lwb1/

The Bears made the following moves Friday and Saturday as part of their final cuts, according to people with knowledge of the situation:

Placed on waivers:

- Bass

- Dysert

- Ola

- receiver Ify Umodu

- defensive tackle Terry Williams

http://www.chicagotr...0905-story.html

I was one of the guys that really liked him coming out of East Carolina. I think he would be a solid rotational guy. The guy is a huge guy, but he moves really well for his size.

He does move pretty well.  I noticed that in the Browns game.

I was one of the guys that really liked him coming out of East Carolina. I think he would be a solid rotational guy. The guy is a huge guy, but he moves really well for his size.

I liked him too as maybe a 6th round guy. He had some concerns with him being able to control hid weight thougg and he was suspended 2 times I believe. I'd definitely be cool with giving him a look though.

I really think we'll play a lot of 4-3 3-4 one gap.  All the guys we retained are guys that can move and penetrate.

Kerr(3 sacks last year), Anderson, Parry, Langford.  Even Okine can get some pressure on the pocket.  I'm very

interested to see how and who else Grigs brings in to fill things out. 

I liked him too as maybe a 6th round guy. He had some concerns with him being able to control hid weight thougg and he was suspended 2 times I believe. I'd definitely be cool with giving him a look though.

Yeah I liked him in the 6th round too. Yes he has had some concerns with his weight, but never knew about his suspensions. I don't know if the tape I watched was when he was heavy or not, but he is impressive with his movement skills for a big guy.

The players discussed so far are both nice players...but how many rookies do we want on the DL?

PS is an option for somebody like Wiliams.  Passat could go there too, but he'd be snatched up in a nanosecond so he definitely would take a spot on the 53. There's room for some vets to be brought in in addition to the young guy(s) 

Has it been said that Parry is starting?

No other player makes sense to start.  Kerr is the only other NT on the roster and he's only good for passing downs, not a great guy to have in there on 1st and 2nd down.  

Besides Parry did see time with starters while Kerr was only playing with the reserves.  

Terry Williams and Louis Trinca-Pasat where two pre-draft crushes of mine. If we could pick them both up I'd be ecstatic. 

Langford, Anderson, LTP, Okine, Parry, Kerr, Williams is a very young but respectable DL. Looks above average when Art Jones is back.

I was going to write to pick these two guys up, you beat me to it. With our situation at the D-Line, it's almost a given we pick someone up, if not two guys. So hopefully we get at least one of them (I prefer Pasat myself).

I really think we'll play a lot of 4-3 3-4 one gap.  All the guys we retained are guys that can move and penetrate.

Kerr(3 sacks last year), Anderson, Parry, Langford.  Even Okine can get some pressure on the pocket.  I'm very

Wanna play a lot of 4 man fronts, then we need about 3 more DL.....lol

It makes me wonder if Grigs is trying to bring in a different type of D-lineman than he has in the past. I don't know if there was any truth to him going after Nick Fairley or not, but seems like he is going after a lot of players with experience in a 4-3 defense and specialize in single gap defensive fronts. I think it is smart to go after players that are use to playing 4-3 as we spend 70% of snaps in nickel anyways. Although versatility in schemes would be a huge plus.

Terry Williams would be a good pick up for us. He is stout/big and has quicks. He was not given the coaching time with the Besrs because they selected Goldman early. He could become a stud NT while developing like the rest of our young guns. Also bring in a non injury prone veteran that can teach while not fearing for his spot.

We cut chapman and quarles, Grigson must be high on earl okine. I don't trust Zach Kerr really. We need another d lineman though, I hope Grigson has something planned. Cause Kerr and parry can't have the load put on them. I see colts going for someone

This is as easy as it gets to figure out. A move is coming. We have our eyes on someone and possibly already have a deal lined up.

Terry Williams and Louis Trinca-Pasat where two pre-draft crushes of mine. If we could pick them both up I'd be ecstatic. 

Langford, Anderson, LTP, Okine, Parry, Kerr, Williams is a very young but respectable DL. Looks above average when Art Jones is back.

Above average?? Langford is the best player of that bunch and he is a complimentary player. I have been impressed with Anderson, but I would keep my expectations down for a rookie defensive lineman.....that's a tough row to hoe.

Why did this guy get cut? That play is better than anything I've seen from our D line this preseason.

I've never seen Chapman, Kerr, Hughes or any NT on this team for the past 2 years do that in pre, in, or post season for that matter. Not in any quarter.

Above average?? Langford is the best player of that bunch and he is a complimentary player. I have been impressed with Anderson, but I would keep my expectations down for a rookie defensive lineman.....that's a tough row to hoe.

Not to mention they hit the rookie wall about week 12.

I see a veteran or two being brought in. I can't see Chap and Hughes being replaced with all rookies. It begs questioning at this point, even if we bring in vets, are we messing with team chemistry a little too late in the game?

You may be right... BUT

Lets be honest.... Team chemisrty works when the players involved are making plays. Or at least holding their own.

Chapman wasnt improving.......  Rewatch the Patriots game..... he was blocked easily... one on one..... on passing downs he just stood up and played patty cake with the center....no movement left or right.... and definitley no push...... on running downs the center just moved him out of the way...... 

He did get some double teams. Which he he was easily swept away..........

I am glad they made the choice 

Parry was washed in the preseason with double teams, but did ok, one on one........ Thats an improvement over Chapman folks

I also think Parry will get better as the season progresses, as he learns to use leverage and pad heighth to his advantage.

I think they do need some rotational NT help. Parry cant play 3 downs all game long..... still not sure or sold on Kerr

So next year lol? And Art Jones didn't show much when he was healthy. He can be a solid player, but I wouldn't expect much more.

Did you watch him in Baltimore? He was a beast. He's never really been healthy with the Colts (From memory 1 game of full health week 1 against Denver last year). He's either been injured, or recovering from one. He was one of PFFs highest rated 3-4 DEs in Baltimore. He means a lot to this football team and would bring our DL to another level if/when he's fully healthy.