Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Line.....

needanoline63

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you watch him in Baltimore? He was a beast. He's never really been healthy with the Colts (From memory 1 game of full health week 1 against Denver last year). He's either been injured, or recovering from one. He was one of PFFs highest rated 3-4 DEs in Baltimore. He means a lot to this football team and would bring our DL to another level if/when he's fully healthy.

He was never a beast. He came from a talented Baltimore front seven where I'm guessing he played limited snaps.

Anyway, did you watch him last year before he was injured? Did you see a "beast?"

He was never a beast. He came from a talented Baltimore front seven where I'm guessing he played limited snaps.

Anyway, did you watch him last year before he was injured? Did you see a "beast?"

Holy ****, you're consistently misrepresenting what I am saying.

Did I ever say he was a beast with us? No. I was strictly talking about his days with Baltimore. He played 1 game before getting injured, if you're judging a players skill level when they're healthy off one game you're not going to be very successful. 

Wanna play a lot of 4 man fronts, then we need about 3 more DL.....lol

So...you do know that if the colts play more 4 man fronts, then several of the LB'S move from OLB to DE...right? So no, if the colts want to play more 4 man fronts, we don't need to sign more defensive linemen. Just need to reallocate the current resources to better fit with the new scheme. :)

Holy ****, you're consistently misrepresenting what I am saying.

Did I ever say he was a beast with us? No. I was strictly talking about his days with Baltimore. He played 1 game before getting injured, if you're judging a players skill level when they're healthy off one game you're not going to be very successful.

How did I misrepresent what you where saying? You said he was a beast as a raven and I ssaid he wasn't......he wasn't anything close to a beast. Where is the misrepresentation?

I don't recall him getting injured that early in the season last year, but if he did the point still stands.....they guy has never been a beast.

How did I misrepresent what you where saying? You said he was a beast as a raven and I ssaid he wasn't......he wasn't anything close to a beast. Where is the misrepresentation?

I don't recall him getting injured that early in the season last year, but if he did the point still stands.....they guy has never been a beast.

First, you said the DL I proposed wasn't above average, but you didn't seem to read the second half of the sentence about how it's contingent on Arthur Jones coming back. Then you ask if I saw any "beast" from him when he was with us when I clearly had just stated he hasn't played well as he has been injured. Maybe you should just read what I'm saying more carefully or stop jumping the gun because I am done repeating myself.

And he was injured week 2 last year against Philly (high ankle sprain) which kept him out an extended period of time and was still effecting him when he was recovering.

First, you said the DL I proposed wasn't above average, but you didn't seem to read the second half of the sentence about how it's contingent on Arthur Jones coming back. Then you ask if I saw any "beast" from him when he was with us when I clearly had just stated he hasn't played well as he has been injured. Maybe you should just read what I'm saying more carefully or stop jumping the gun because I am done repeating myself.

And he was injured week 2 last year against Philly (high ankle sprain) which kept him out an extended period of time and was still effecting him when he was recovering.

Oh good god, stop being so sensitive.

I didn't bother with the line being above average being contingent on jones being back because he is out for the season and he isn't a true difference maker anyway.

Our main disagreement is you think,he is a beast when healthy....and probably the only person on the planet that believes so.

No other player makes sense to start.  Kerr is the only other NT on the roster and he's only good for passing downs, not a great guy to have in there on 1st and 2nd down.  

Besides Parry did see time with starters while Kerr was only playing with the reserves.  

Just check the depth chart...looks like Parry.

Oh good god, stop being so sensitive.

I didn't bother with the line being above average being contingent on jones being back because he is out for the season and he isn't a true difference maker anyway.

Our main disagreement is you think,he is a beast when healthy....and probably the only person on the planet that believes so.

"Probably the only person on the planet who believes so"

Okay so lets just disregard:

- The man who gets paid millions, who shelled over 30 Million to him.

- The coach who speaks glowingly of him

- All of the writers at Pro Football Focus

- All of the Colts beat writers who said it's a huge loss 

- Former coaches who speak glowingly of him

- Many of the only posters on this board

He shelled over millions to Larson Landry and Goder Cherilus too

Pagano speaks glowingly of almost everyone

The same PFF that ranked Tannehill over Luck?

Maybe we just have a different definition of what "beast" means.

typically Pagano and coaching staff has not spoken bad of any of the players we have had...Even when some were just beyond atrocious (Mike Mcglynn. Samson Satele)...Also its no secret that some guys have been given some fairly big contracts(Even though most of it was not in guaranteed money) that there production elsewhere did not warrant.

I'm not too thrilled about the spectre of grabbing all of these players from the scrap heap at the last minute. We cut Chapman, Hughes, and Quarles. Didn't Grigs know what we had in those guys? We passed on guys like Wilfork. Apparently we balked at the trade for Ngata. Now we look perilously thin on the defensive line with Jones being IR'd.

I'm happy with the additions on the offense, but the defense looks to have been neglected and I hope that doesn't end up being regrettable.

Anyone who is confident with the guys we have now are going to be very disappointed when teams are running the ball down our throats "again"

This...it will be funny and sad all at the same time. Heads are going to roll if Colts can't get a handle on stopping the run this season...Irsay isn't playing.

I'm not too thrilled about the spectre of grabbing all of these players from the scrap heap at the last minute. We cut Chapman, Hughes, and Quarles. Didn't Grigs know what we had in those guys? We passed on guys like Wilfork. Apparently we balked at the trade for Ngata. Now we look perilously thin on the defensive line with Jones being IR'd.

I'm happy with the additions on the offense, but the defense looks to have been neglected and I hope that doesn't end up being regrettable.

Irving, cole, anderson, smith, geathers, parry, langford, lowery. Yeah, the defense was really neglected.

This is a young d-line that will grow and progress together. There will be bumps in the road but if they stick together this could be a very good group of young players. Langford will be looked too to be the leader without Jones and it will help that they have a very experienced group of linebackers behind them.

So, if the Colts move more to a 4-3,does Werner become more relevant? Mathis to DE?

Werner's problem isn't scheme fit, so no. As a matter of fact, with his lack of size and pass rush ability, putting him at DE probably makes him less effective.

Just let the man play Sam, set the edge, and see if he gives us something in pass rush situations. It's the right position for his skill set.

I see irsay cleaning house with some staff if we get run over for at least 200yds rushing in any game lol but I trust this dline I have a lack in faith in our current ilb until Irving and Moore get on the field were gonna be thrashed over the middle and ran over due to freemen Nd jacksons lack of play recognition

There will be growing pains.......

But

The way I look at it, having faster guys shoot the gaps will make us better defending the pass as we get slow, non pass rush people off the field, the DL will break through on pass rush plays which should increase turnovers as well as increase "hurries"

Last year, the CBs did a decent to great job on the WRs. We had open guys because the QB had an extra second or two for the TE or H back to clear (with pokie LBs trying to keep up)

There SHOULD be shorter times to find the secondary reciever

The downside is we WILL get gashed on occasion for a long run.

You will see 8 yard rushes on occasion, when we guess wrong

But

You will also see running backs stuffed in the backfield when we guess right

These things can create 3rd and long situations, where we give up a few first downs then get a "play" and the defense comes off

I like these changes

Goodbye to the slow, NEVER penetrating "bricks" in the middle

There could be growing pains and that's expected.  So long as those waving pom poms over this can live with the strong possibility that those growing pains may be the reason this team is watching the Super Bowl again...then its all good.  Strange move for a team that is in Super Bowl or bust mode.  This D line experimentation/reconstruction may pay off down the road but the time is now.

Unless it's one of the favored DL from the draft that everyone was hoping we'd draft...

Lol true. I'd be worried about any rookie. There's bound to be some growing pains. If it wasn't for our SB aspersions I'd be totally for it. I just don't want to have to rely on our offense to win games. I'm hoping for the best.

The depth chart still suggests a 3-4 front even though everyone is assuming a 4-3 front.  I'm guessing we'll still be a hybrid team defensively. The major change is playing more one gap in both looks.  I'm liking Langford and Henry Anderson at those ends, they should get better and better with each game.  Parry and Kerr at the nose ain't that bad,  Kerr to me actually plays pretty well head up on the center especially when he is single blocked.  When Kerr is single blocked head up on the center he usually manhandles the guy.  Okine will make a real good back up for Langford.  I need to see more of Mcgill live, but I think he's got the goods to be real effective.  I'm going to trust Pagano and Grigson with the moves they've made so far. 

If we're talking about Art Jones,  he got hurt in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game.   The Monday night loss to Philly.    That's when he suffered his high ankle sprain.    So, he played 5 and a half healthy quarters of the regular season.     He stayed out a number of weeks (6?)  then came back too soon...   eventually re-injured the ankle and kept playing.     He was never 100 percent after the first injury.     He has said that,  and so has Pagano and Grigson.

If we're not talking about Art Jones,  then carry on.......

I guess you're happy with 2/3 of the defensive line being rookies. More power to you

Would feel the same if it was 2/3 of veteran journeymen on the DL or 2/3 rookies playing. Until I see them play for the Colts they all have a clean slate with me.

It's not like they were we're spoon fed the starting position from training camp, they actually beat out veterans(Chapman/Hughes/Kerr. And the art jones injury) to win the job, so yea I'm ok with it when they've earned the right to start over other vets

While the line is dangerously inexperienced, there have been flashes during the preseason. These six players accounted for 13 QB pressures, four sacks, and 25 stops (according to Pro Football Focus). All six players finished with a positive PFF grade as well for the preseason (0.0 is an average performance).

Player Position Snaps Overall Rating Run Defense Pass Rush Kendall Langford DE 57 (3 games) +0.7 +0.2 +0.3 Zach Kerr NT 108 +2.6 +2.4 +0.4 David Parry NT 92 +2.2 +1.9 -0.1 TY McGill DT (with Seattle) 72 +4.2 +6.8 -0.9 Hendry Anderson DE 95 +4.3 +3.9 0.0 Earl Okine DE 85 +3.1 -1.2 +4.0

Seeing these numbers is certainly encouraging, despite the fact that most of those plays were made against second and third team offenses.

The first two weeks of the season will be a big test as the Colts face opponents who feature run first offenses, the Bills and Jets. Luckily, neither of those teams feature a dynamic passing attack. This will give the Colts time to build the lines confidence and work out the kinks.

Many will point to the Colts not using their first round pick on a defensive lineman, but that still wouldn’t solve the current problem. In fact defensive tackle Malcom Brown, a player many thought the Colts might draft, hasn’t had a great preseason with the Patriots. He was on PFF’s list of most disappointing rookies so far with a -5.3 overall grade through three games.

http://www.chatsports.com/indianapolis-colts/a/source/colts-gambling-with-inexperienced-defensive-line-11734687

We cut chapman and quarles, Grigson must be high on earl okine. I don't trust Zach Kerr really. We need another d lineman though, I hope Grigson has something planned. Cause Kerr and parry can't have the load put on them. I see colts going for someone

we better get them quick and get them in meetings and their nose in the play-book.  Time is a wastin.  Maybe Grigs doesn't want to look desperate.  No time for egos to supplant need.