Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Are Your Thoughts On The Colts Playing Chapman And Hughes Deep Into The 4Th Qtr?

RockThatBlue

Not a good sign for them. I think both are very much on the bubble and wouldn't be shocked if they are gone in final cuts. I also noticed Werner was playing into the second half. I don't think he's a lock to make the final roster either.

This is my thinking too. Starters are usually not played that deep into the last preseason game.

My theory is that Chapman played NT so that the other D-lineman could be evaluated fairly. Chapman takes on the double teams, so the coaches can evaluate how the other guys perform against their match ups. Without Chapman, the other D-lineman could face double teams, which wouldn't be a good way to evaluate the guys on the back end of the roster.

Another thought is that Chapman really wore down late in games last year. Maybe the coaches have been working with him on his endurance and wanted to see how he would perform late in the game.

i doubt that. Normally if your playing late in the final pre-season game and you've been a starter that's not good.

I honestly don't know. I think it could suggest Parry has past him in the depth chart, or it could suggest he's still on top and they want to get a longer look/more information.

Parry had a shorter night than Chapman. Was chilling on the sidelines while Chap still playing. So Parry is a lock for the 53. Whether he starts or not remains to be seen

We wanted to get a long look because there will be choices after final cuts.

Chapman is safe Hughes may not be IMO.

I'm interested to see what the Rams do with their DL. Tricia-Pasat has looked very good in the preseason. If they keep him on the 53 they are going to have to cut someone who may be useful. I think if they try to put him on the PS. He's gone someone will snatch him

Parry had a shorter night than Chapman. Was chilling on the sidelines while Chap still playing. So Parry is a lock for the 53. Whether he starts or not remains to be seen

Never said anything about Parry's status on the roster, to me he's been a lock pretty much since he's been drafted. And he started tonght, and as you pointed out played earlier/less, so my guess is he gets the start week 1.

Never said anything about Parry's status on the roster, to me he's been a lock pretty much since he's been drafted. And he started tonght, and as you pointed out played earlier/less, so my guess is he gets the start week 1.

Looks to me we will have two rookies starting on the d line next week.

Not a good sign for them.  I think both are very much on the bubble and wouldn't be shocked if they are gone in final cuts.  I also noticed Werner was playing into the second half.  I don't think he's a lock to make the final roster either. 

Agree on Hughes and Chapman. Werner wasn't playing in the 4'th so I think he's a lock.

Agree on Hughes and Chapman. Werner wasn't playing in the 4'th so I think he's a lock.

i should have been more clear. Werner was in there in the second half (third quarter). I think he's the safest of the three and probably will make the final roster but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't. I don't think he's in as much danger as Hughes or Chapman.

Well, I was going to post saying that Okine was too small for extended play, and would get worn down.....and that that is why Hughes and Chapman would still be safe to make the 53......Then I looked and saw Okine is 6'-7" and around 300 lbs.  Size isn't everything for sure, but Earl is big enough to hold his own at DE and some DT on passing downs......this also makes his speed and penetration more impressive to me, as I thought he was showing that and agility at around 30 lbs less than he actually is.....  I'm all for Okine on the 53 and cutting one of Chapman/Hughes.  

Also, I think Parry has surpassed Chap, but you still need a backup NT...... pick one of Hughes/Chap.....and Hughes, big as he is, usually plays DE for us....

I personally think too much is being read into Hughes and Chapman playing late into this game. The simplest answer to me is that they ran out of bodies and had to play someone.  I think they went into the game with only 8 D linemen on the roster and that included Jones.  Someone had to play.

With Jones' injury I doubt either of those guys are in trouble.

I suggested a few weeks ago that Hughes might not make it and got flamed. And here we are 3 weeks later and he might have already lost out.

Idk if Chap and Hughes both get cut for depth reasons, but I think they've both been jumped on the depth chart. Parry has supplanted Chap as the starting NT. Hughes got jumped by Anderson and probably even Okine which would bump him off the roster.

But this is the Colts board where no one disappoints. It's either they need more time, slowed by injuries, or are being under appreciated. I think it's clear what has happened with those two though

I suggested a few weeks ago that Hughes might not make it and got flamed. And here we are 3 weeks later and he might have already lost out.

Idk if Chap and Hughes both get cut for depth reasons, but I think they've both been jumped on the depth chart. Parry has supplanted Chap as the starting NT. Hughes got jumped by Anderson and probably even Okine which would bump him off the roster.

But this is the Colts board where no one disappoints. It's either they need more time, slowed by injuries, or are being under appreciated. I think it's clear what has happened with those two though

i don't disagree with you but if Jones goes on some form of IR I am not sure who has out performed them to take their jobs, namely Hughes. Chapman I think might be the number 3 NT but I don't the number 4 has pushed him enough to take his job. That all said I am not going to be shocked to see one or both cut. I also think Grigson might look at the waver wire to see if he can find someone better to replace one if not both.

I personally think too much is being read into Hughes and Chapman playing late into this game. The simplest answer to me is that they ran out of bodies and had to play someone. I think they went into the game with only 8 D linemen on the roster and that included Jones. Someone had to play.

With Jones' injury I doubt either of those guys are in trouble.

Too much isn't being read. If someone needed to play. Who's needs snaps more, the Rookie Parry or Chapman?

Parry was sipping apple juice while Chapman was still playing. I'm almost certain a rookie needs more reps than Chapman. I think Chap is on the bubble

I could just hug you right now! Beautiful post :Cry:

:hug:

It's already been said above, but I also think we're either going to see two rookies starting (we pretty much HAVE to see one of them start) or at the least they will rotate with high frequency and lots of snaps.  Perhaps Parry and Anderson can stop the run.... the others sure couldn't last year. 

i don't disagree with you but if Jones goes on some form of IR I am not sure who has out performed them to take their jobs, namely Hughes. Chapman I think might be the number 3 NT but I don't the number 4 has pushed him enough to take his job. That all said I am not going to be shocked to see one or both cut. I also think Grigson might look at the waver wire to see if he can find someone better to replace one if not both.

Anderson can probably pay 3 positions on the line given the package. Might see him at DE in a base 3-4, maybe at DT in our hybrid 3-4. You might also have him as an edge rusher In some situations. He can start In place of Jones. Parry can be moved around too.

That's why I think they both got drafted by us and the staff always had plans for them. Their versatile and give you a lot of options.