Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Manning/luck/2012 Draft Comments...[Mega-merge]

Blackhawk4

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts will either keep Luck or trade him most likely. Should be interesting, I don't see them taking anyone else.

Nope. Why take someone else when you can trade back and still get that player and get more picks too boot?

Like you sid it's either take Luck or trade the pick.

Sounds like a win-win to me...dying to hear your ideas...

Wanna trade Manning? Absolutly stupid. You keep a healthy Manning, teach Luck the ropes and prepare him for a career in Indy. Thats the idea the front office, Irsay, Polian, and alot of people have. Your in a minority if you think trading Manning is a good idea. Manning gives us the best chance at a SB. Luck can sit and learn. It never hurt anyone.

I know it hasn't happened, but I feel like the Colts have already decided to release Manning. Brace yourselves for a soap opera the next few months.

Why do you feel that way, Jim Irsay just said a week ago if healthy Peyton Manning would be a Colt next year? I think you are going to see the Colts keep Manning (if healthy) and draft Luck and have the QB poistion secured for hopefully the next 15 years.

Following the Colts since early 70's- GLAD they will pick first, now can control what to do either with Luck or multiple trades-The # 2pick finish would be like comparing going out with Miss Hotness or Miss Ugly-Now if Caldwell gets fired, that will be the complete icing on the cake.

I know it hasn't happened, but I feel like the Colts have already decided to release Manning. Brace yourselves for a soap opera the next few months.

Have any of you people even been listening to what Irsay has said lately? Obviously not. He wants a healthy Manning and he will be a colt if healthy. Irsay said it himself. Period!!!

As someone who believes Peyton Manning is the best quarterback of my generation, I needed this season. I needed the world to see this. I needed analysts who use Super Bowl rings to rank all-time greats to see this.

NFL magazine named Manning its 2012 MVP and who could blame them? With Manning, the Colts are Super Bowl contenders. Without him they are the worst team in the league. No other player in the NFL is that valuable (anyone see Flynn and the Packers play the Lions today?).

If you have followed the Colts for the last 14 years, this season should not have shocked you. This is an organization with no running game (one top-10 ranking under Manning), no run defense (twice ranked higher than 20th) and embarrassing special teams play (Vanderjagt, Super Bowl onside kick, Jets’ kick return a year ago).

The 2012 Colts started 0-13, went five games without forcing a turnover, surrendered a large lead to Kansas City (aren’t the Colts built to play with the lead?) and ranked dead last in both kick returns, punt returns and kickoff coverage. Is Manning to blame?

Manning deserves better in his final years. Trade him to any team a quarterback away from a Super Bowl (Jets, Bears) and draft Luck. Yes, I could enjoy 4-5 more 10-6 seasons with an early-playoff exit, but I don’t want to. I’ve seen enough.

Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t know a season where his defense wasn’t ranked in the top 10 (total defense). The Patriots have been eighth or better in scoring defense in all but two seasons under Brady. It’s time for Manning to reap the luxuries these quarterbacks have enjoyed their entire careers.

The Colts should fire its coaching staff (what has Caldwell accomplished other than benching his starters?), use the extra draft picks gained in a Manning trade to support Luck and begin a new Era. Manning should be given a chance at another Super Bowl. After this season, his one ring is the only argument his detractors have left.

Greatest regular season qb by far but of all time overall idk. Tough

Greatest regular season qb by far but of all time overall idk. Tough

Last playoff exits:

2010 - Manning throws what appears to be a game-winning TD...colts give up large KO return, defense gives up yards, FG, Colts lose

2009 - Manning plays a perfect game but is somehow trailing during the drive in which he throws the INT. Why (Garcon drop, onside kick, no chance at stopping Brees

2008 - lost in OT to S.D. Colts lost coin toss, Manning never got a chance

2007 - another loss to S.D. Defense gives up 28 points to a team without Rivers and Tomlinson

2006 - Super Bowl

2005 - Vanderjagt misses a 46-yard FG and Colts lose 21-18 to Pitt

If only Peyton could tackle, kick FG and play on special teams...

I think it will be Luck running the show and Manning will be traded within that 3 day window or released. No way the Colts can afford Manning + Luck and try to re-sign Mathis or Wayne and address other holes. Something has gotta give.

who says manning is going to regain full feeling in his triceps? I mean that is a huge issue with him and no one seems to bring it up. If your triceps go numb and are tingly all the time, something is dang wrong with your nerves and that part hasn't healed yet. The fusion was just cleared in and of itself which is just to say the bony matter has connected solidly and is ready for more movement, the nerve component is totally separate and is of MAJOR concern. (along with back issues).

Wanna trade Manning? Absolutly stupid. You keep a healthy Manning, teach Luck the ropes and prepare him for a career in Indy. Thats the idea the front office, Irsay, Polian, and alot of people have. Your in a minority if you think trading Manning is a good idea. Manning gives us the best chance at a SB. Luck can sit and learn. It never hurt anyone.

by taking luck isn't the front office essentially telling manning that they aren't going all out to win a super bowl in the twilight of his career? let's face it, if the colts don't trade luck for proven players, the colts have no shot at winning a super bowl during peyton's last few years.

by taking luck isn't the front office essentially telling manning that they aren't going all out to win a super bowl in the twilight of his career? let's face it, if the colts don't trade luck for proven players, the colts have no shot at winning a super bowl during peyton's last few years.

It's not up to the Colts to do what is right for Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck for that matter. It's up to them to do what is in the best interest for them. You can make a very strong case that means having Peyton Manning to help win now but also drafting the QB of the future so the team doesn't just fall apart when Manning leaves either.

It's not up to the Colts to do what is right for Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck for that matter. It's up to them to do what is in the best interest for them. You can make a very strong case that means having Peyton Manning to help win now but also drafting the QB of the future so the team doesn't just fall apart when Manning leaves either.

i never said that have to do what's right by peyton...but if i'm peyton i would force my way out because you're just using me to sell tickets until luck is ready to take over.

i never said that have to do what's right by peyton...but if i'm peyton i would force my way out because you're just using me to sell tickets until luck is ready to take over.

He can't force his way out, he's under contract. He has very little power here and of all the people in play here has the least because the Colts have to agree to trade him or release him they can very easily say no we want you to honor your contract. About the only thing he could do is pull a Carson Palmer and retire in which case we are going to draft Luck anyways. That would be so out of character for Manning too it wouldn't be funny. Also Manning was asked today in the post game interview what he would do if they drafted a QB and he said it wasn't his call and he's a team guy and will do whatever the team asks him to do. That doesn't sound like a guy who is going to try to get out of here.

“As far as can I co-exist with anybody? I think I can co-exist with any player I’ve ever played with. I’ve always been a good teammate that way. To speculate on who we’re going to draft, that’s probably more for other people to do.”

He can't force his way out, he's under contract. He has very little power here and of all the people in play here has the least because the Colts have to agree to trade him or release him they can very easily say no we want you to honor your contract. About the only thing he could do is pull a Carson Palmer and retire in which case we are going to draft Luck anyways. That would be so out of character for Manning too it wouldn't be funny. Also Manning was asked today in the post game interview what he would do if they drafted a QB and he said it wasn't his call and he's a team guy and will do whatever the team asks him to do. That doesn't sound like a guy who is going to try to get out of here.

would you wanna pay 28 million to an unhappy player coming off neck surgery? and what is he supposed to say to that question? no, i don't wanna play with andrew luck....

would you wanna pay 28 million to an unhappy player coming off neck surgery? and what is he supposed to say to that question? no, i don't wanna play with andrew luck....

28 is what it costs us to cut him. His contract next year is for something like 17 million. Also Jim Irsay already said they paid him 26 million for this year. I don't think the Colts are going to have an issue with paying him.

I saw that article and it was like Christmas. It didn't surprise me to read however; it seems like people perceive Peyton to be like a drama queen. He loves the game and he wants to win. Football is a TEAM sport and he knows how things work. Plus, when he is HC in a couple of years, he'll have a nice little relationship with #12 :D

Assuming Manning is healthy, the Colts have to decide if they believe they have enough pieces to win a Super Bowl. But you can't just "give up" on one of the top quarterbacks to play the game for his final 3-4 years in order to "play for the future". I believe the Colts with a healthy Manning are just a few players away from another Championship or two - therefore, you don't draft a guy who will provide ZERO value for the next 4 years. You draft an offensive guard and/or tackle, defensive tackle, shutdown corner, and maybe a WR.

If you go to NFL.com it has an article of Manning saying he can co-exist with a QB.

Also last Thursday Irsay said they wouldnt hesitate to take a QB if one they liked was avaliable.

We really don't need an article to tell us this. Of course they can and will. I am tired of guys like Chris Mortenson stiring this pot. The only problem with having a franchise QB on the roster with a number 1 pick QB was the money. The new CBA fixes that so let's just move on from the discussion.

If you go to NFL.com it has an article of Manning saying he can co-exist with a QB.

Also last Thursday Irsay said they wouldnt hesitate to take a QB if one they liked was avaliable.

I think its a done deal.... Oobie....

Irsay wants Luck...he just wont say it out loud...

he was a transition from Manning to Luck...that keeps Indy on top offensively..

we better just get ready for Manning's return and luck's debut next August..That's the biggest NFL story in somemtime

28 is what it costs us to cut him. His contract next year is for something like 17 million. Also Jim Irsay already said they paid him 26 million for this year. I don't think the Colts are going to have an issue with paying him.

regardless, he wouldn't be the first player to force his way out of town.....

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 2, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, January 2, 2012 - personal shot

Like your "ideas" have any value anyway. Wanna trade Manning? Absolutly stupid. You keep a healthy Manning, teach Luck the ropes and prepare him for a career in Indy. Thats the idea the front office, Irsay, Polian, and alot of people have. Your in a minority if you think trading Manning is a good idea. Manning gives us the best chance at a SB. Luck can sit and learn. It never hurt anyone.

Do you have an insult 'count' that you have to reach every day? Everything you post is worthless or insulting. Please get over yourself.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 2, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, January 2, 2012 - personal shot

Do you have an insult 'count' that you have to reach every day? Everything you post is worthless or insulting. Please get over yourself.

What in the heck are you talking about. You just sour about your life and like to push people around like me whom you dont like. I think your the one that needs to get over whatever hatered you have towards me. Like i said before, you got a problem with something. Send a pm to rant. This crap on threads is rediculous. Man alive.

And when you think about it, in most years we'd be picking very late in the draft. So, taking Luck and sitting him isn't much different than not having an early pick in all those years.

Our 2nd pick needs to be a starter though.

I think picking #1 overall is a huge difference from picking late in the draft. When you're picking late you really are picking someone with upside vs picking someone that you need to start day one. There is also a difference in cost. Early draft picks are more expensive to pay for them to sit on the bench.

Everyone keeps saying that Manning is a professional and he won't mind having Luck around. I agree that he is a professional and will not publicly say anything about it but he is also a competitor and having Luck sitting on the bench is not going to help him win.

I think picking #1 overall is a huge difference from picking late in the draft. When you're picking late you really are picking someone with upside vs picking someone that you need to start day one. There is also a difference in cost. Early draft picks are more expensive to pay for them to sit on the bench.

Everyone keeps saying that Manning is a professional and he won't mind having Luck around. I agree that he is a professional and will not publicly say anything about it but he is also a competitor and having Luck sitting on the bench is not going to help him win.

I think its more a matter of ..will Luck be okay being a backup for 4 years while folks like Tim Tebow are starting in Denver (maybe)

I was at the game, a ton of colys fans as usual which was a bit surprising. Talked to quite a few , overwhleming opions is we are trding the pick and most everyone cited Wahington as the trade partner. Makes sense as a healthy Manning wins the South so get him pieces and get the Super Bowl title. No offense to luck who may have a good to great career but siting him behind Peyton for a minimum 3-4 doesnt really do the colts or the young man much good. Other QB's will be available to grrom 2-3 years down the road when it is needed.

All valid points.

Manning is a realist, and the NFL is a business. Obviously, the eventual successor would have to be on the team.

Luck is media savvy, and will say things like, "I'd consider it an honor to...," or, "I just feel fortunate to be somewhere in the NFL." That doesn't mean he will be thrilled about sitting for several years.

Manning will play out his contract if he can. He's a competitor. He owes it to nobody to "stand aside," nor would he be in the wrong to selfishly elect to play out that contract.

Luck needs to think about his future, his family, etc. Not making an impact for 4 years, maybe 6 or 7 if Rodgers is the bar everyone's aiming for, isn't exciting to someone who's projected to be the #1 overall pick.

While we could afford both players, it also means we aren't getting the guys who make an immediate impact to help Peyton win a few more championships. Let's face it: he's our best shot to accomplish that, not Luck. Those guys would also be around for the future of the franchise, just like Luck, and we'd probably get a lot of extra depth with that #1 pick if we traded it down. We know we need help at other positions, so those guys would make an impact now, and for years to come. Luck won't be a factor for half a decade, and even then, he may just be average. This offense doesn't run on average. Our defense only needs to get to average to make us the best team in football with Manning...