Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Manning/luck/2012 Draft Comments...[Mega-merge]

Blackhawk4

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton, thanks for the memories. All good things must come to an end and it's time for a new era in Indy. It's been a great 13 years, now the future rests with Andrew Luck.

It makes no sense to draft Luck and sit him and pay Manning too much $ to be able to fill the gaps needed to be a SB contender.

Good luck Peyton, get healthy, and if you do play again I hope you go to the NFC.

Ya know this whole, "we need help at other positions" argument is true, but it has the same caveat attached to it as the QB situation. The team won a extra heap of games just because 18 is truly unique, but that's the same crew of guys that mangled winnable playoff games with Peyton.

Whatever product they put out next year with Peyton is going to be better than this year. The Curtis Painter experiment is what caused the Luck scenario to happen if we need a reminder of how crucial decent QB play is, Orlovsky with talent around here managed to win a few games.

I'm a bit conflicted, but look at it like this, IF Luck is a bust, we'll never find out.

Last playoff exits:

2010 - Manning throws what appears to be a game-winning TD...colts give up large KO return, defense gives up yards, FG, Colts lose

2009 - Manning plays a perfect game but is somehow trailing during the drive in which he throws the INT. Why (Garcon drop, onside kick, no chance at stopping Brees

2008 - lost in OT to S.D. Colts lost coin toss, Manning never got a chance

2007 - another loss to S.D. Defense gives up 28 points to a team without Rivers and Tomlinson

2006 - Super Bowl

2005 - Vanderjagt misses a 46-yard FG and Colts lose 21-18 to Pitt

If only Peyton could tackle, kick FG and play on special teams...

Or took the timeout responsibilities away from jim.

by taking luck isn't the front office essentially telling manning that they aren't going all out to win a super bowl in the twilight of his career? let's face it, if the colts don't trade luck for proven players, the colts have no shot at winning a super bowl during peyton's last few years.

Why do you write that like its an absolute? The kings ransom would be good if your trying to rebuild, this team doesn't need to be rebuilt overnight, just needs depth. This years draft, picking 1sr every round, is going to provide plenty of depth.

Some of you seriously sound insane. The Colts are going to take Luck and have him sit behind Peyton. Peyton will be fine with this as will Luck. Wait and see folks.

Some of us pay attention to the right people ;)kudos!

Some posters are abroad though and are lead astray by some of the more opinionated posters

Just watched a interesting Outside The Lines on ESPN and 3 out of the 4 panelists(including Kravitz) said the Colts should release Manning even if he is cleared to play. The 4th guy said they should keep Luck and Manning. They mentioned that if Peyton agreed(though he has no incentive) that Irsay could possibly get the decision date of March 8 moved back by the league to put us in the trade period where we could actually get a lot back for him from another team. That is assuming he's healthy. All the panelists just agreed that it is best for the team to move onto our future with Luck at QB. Your thoughts?

It can be pushed back but there is no logical reason for Manning to push it back. Why help the Colts and harm the future team, when he's a free agent if they fail to pick up the option bonus?

In my opinion he's either a Colt for the next 3 years or he's a free agent this year.

I'll take that a step farther...

In order to stay a Colt, he will have to restructure his deal before the option bonus is paid out.

I think you still have an opportunity to win a Superbowl if you do things right. If you can trade the pick get multiple draft picks to help the defense and o-line, you could be really competitive this year. You already have a strong veteran presence, now it's time to get more talent in.

I think you still have an opportunity to win a Superbowl if you do things right. If you can trade the pick get multiple draft picks to help the defense and o-line, you could be really competitive this year. You already have a strong veteran presence, now it's time to get more talent in.

I totally disagree about a SB chance. Did you watch the team this year? It would take too long to rebuild that fast. As Irsay said in the presser we are in rebuilding mode. Peyton would have a much better chance at another SB by going to a current playoff team with an average QB.(SF or Baltimore for example)

You let Manning walk or trade him it would go down as the biggest mistake Irsay ever made and Luck will never be able to live up the expectations that will be set.

Expectations? We have a chance to draft Luck for a reason. We are a 2-14 team. Expectations should be pretty low.

Everything would depend upon the terms of the trade or the timing of the release.

I totally disagree about a SB chance. Did you watch the team this year? It would take too long to rebuild that fast. As Irsay said in the presser we are in rebuilding mode. Peyton would have a much better chance at another SB by going to a current playoff team with an average QB.(SF or Baltimore for example)

This will be the same playoff team from last year with Manning back, and then the sophmores from this year and new draft rookies from this upcomnig draft. If there were a trade back and the Colts had somewhere around 10 new players, how could this team not be in contention for another SB? I do agree he would have a great chance in San Fran where I think he will go and or Baltimore. To your OP that seems like the general consensus to go with Luck and release Manning. I am not on board with that idea. But I am also not on board with the Colts taking Luck if Manning is healthy.

I am so tired of people saying we need to dump Peyton Manning, the GOAT, in favor of an unproven rookie. We know what we get with Manning. As long as he's healthy, which it seems to be trending that way, you do not dump the guy that has single handedly carried this team for the last 12 years. Luck comes from a strong college program, makes a lot of underneath throws and easy crossing routes, the deep ball gets opened up because of their strong running game, and his oline is top notch in college football. If he comes to Indy, and is expected to start day one, he will be inheriting a team with an extremely mediocre oline, average WRs with inflated stats due to playing with Manning, and a defense that gets gashed in the run and pass game. He would not have the ability initially, to carry a team.

I am so tired of people saying we need to dump Peyton Manning, the GOAT, in favor of an unproven rookie. We know what we get with Manning. As long as he's healthy, which it seems to be trending that way, you do not dump the guy that has single handedly carried this team for the last 12 years. Luck comes from a strong college program, makes a lot of underneath throws and easy crossing routes, the deep ball gets opened up because of their strong running game, and his oline is top notch in college football. If he comes to Indy, and is expected to start day one, he will be inheriting a team with an extremely mediocre oline, average WRs with inflated stats due to playing with Manning, and a defense that gets gashed in the run and pass game. He would not have the ability initially, to carry a team.

You sir need to stop making so much sense...please! :thmup:

You let Manning walk or trade him it would go down as the biggest mistake Irsay ever made and Luck will never be able to live up the expectations that will be set.

Same could be said about Luck. He's got his whole career ahead of him and Manning has maybe 3 years left on the downside of his career.

I want both BTW

Expectations? We have a chance to draft Luck for a reason. We are a 2-14 team. Expectations should be pretty low.

Everything would depend upon the terms of the trade or the timing of the release.

As I read in one of Irsay's tweets last night. He said having the #1 pick should not overlook the fact that we are the worst team in the league right now. I still say no way we win another SB with Peyton with the short time he has left. This will be the biggest decision ever made by a FO and owner.

We all love Manning, but the guy can't forever. Everyone acts like it would be cutting a perfectly healthy 27 year old in his prime.And that is just not the case.

As I read in one of Irsay's tweets last night. He said having the #1 pick should not overlook the fact that we are the worst team in the league right now. I still say no way we win another SB with Peyton with the short time he has left. This will be the biggest decision ever made by a FO and owner.

See that could be interpreted as there are sooo many holes on this team, that one player (Luck) cannot fix them alone. And that they would trade the pick to improve the team. That Indy needs lots of talent all over... which would mean trading the pick to re-tool, or he is forshadowing alot of veteran players leaving...

Same could be said about Luck. He's got his whole career ahead of him and Manning has maybe 3 years left on the downside of his career.

I want both BTW

Yeah if Luck turns out to be what many think and Irsay doesn't take him that could be the biggest mistake. You're right Manning has MAYBE 3 years left and I doubt that is enough time to get this team to SB level. Plus a lot of our mainstays that are long in the tooth would have to be re-signed to make another possible run with Manning. I just think it makes the most sense to start the COMPLETE rebuild now with a whole new philosophy and staff and personnel. That's exactly what the panel suggested as well.

This team still has a lot of the 09 team left. It's pretty much the same exact core group of players. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't consider rebuilding with Peyton. If he is cleared to play and we have confidence he can play at a high level why not? As good as Luck is, and as much as I don't think it will happen, he COULD bust. Think about that. What if we let Peyton go and he proves everyone wrong like he probably will and Luck comes to Indy and completely flops. That would be a disaster. At least, health aside, we know what we have in Peyton. Either way you are risking something, but I think you have to look at what is more of a risk. Letting go of Peyton and hoping Luck is the next great or trading Luck and hoping Peyton returns to form. I don't know the answer to that, but I think if Peyton is cleared to play and the doctors feel confident about it, it really isn't a terrible alternative to trade the pick and move forward with Manning. Like I said, this is still the 09 team. Re-sign Saturday and Wayne and offensively you have literally the same group of players + Ijalana will be back. Defensively it's the same thing. Re-sign Mathis, Nevis and Brackett and Powers will be back and you have almost the same group there too(plus Angerer).

Steve Young, who went through similar ordeal, said they should co-exist. And he's the one who got the worst end of it from Montanna. Young may not have been a number one, but he was the hottest QB prospect in the NFL when the 49ers got him. I remember many times when Young filled in and did so good. He saved them a couple of times much to Montanna's chagrin, but still we need a great backup if Manning starts simply because he isn't an iron man anymore.

See that could be interpreted as there are sooo many holes on this team, that one player (Luck) cannot fix them alone. And that they would trade the pick to improve the team. That Indy needs lots of talent all over... which would mean trading the pick to re-tool, or he is forshadowing alot of veteran players leaving...

Good point

+1

I believe people are overreacting to some bad football and disorganized decision making this season. This has been one of the most successful sports franchises over the last decade and all that made it so, did not disappear in one season.

This team still has a lot of the 09 team left. It's pretty much the same exact core group of players. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't consider rebuilding with Peyton. If he is cleared to play and we have confidence he can play at a high level why not? As good as Luck is, and as much as I don't think it will happen, he COULD bust. Think about that. What if we let Peyton go and he proves everyone wrong like he probably will and Luck comes to Indy and completely flops. That would be a disaster. At least, health aside, we know what we have in Peyton. Either way you are risking something, but I think you have to look at what is more of a risk. Letting go of Peyton and hoping Luck is the next great or trading Luck and hoping Peyton returns to form. I don't know the answer to that, but I think if Peyton is cleared to play and the doctors feel confident about it, it really isn't a terrible alternative to trade the pick and move forward with Manning. Like I said, this is still the 09 team. Re-sign Saturday and Wayne and offensively you have literally the same group of players + Ijalana will be back. Defensively it's the same thing. Re-sign Mathis, Nevis and Brackett and Powers will be back and you have almost the same group there too(plus Angerer).

The guys you're talking about re-signing are old in in the twilight of their careers. When you're getting old in the NFL there is a big difference between 2009 and 2012. That would be a heck of a gamble too. If we didn't win the SB in the next couple of years Peyton will be gone and so will all those guys. And we may have passed on the next QB face of the league. Time to build a great YOUNG core NOW. People talked about our window closing years ago. I think it has already closed on this group. Time to open up a new window.

Any restructuring will have to come with some benefit to Manning, and that could still cause issues later.

Staying employed could be considered a benefit. I would rather risk Peyton hitting free agency than pay the option bonus he is set to make. We do have leverage with Luck.

Why do you write that like its an absolute? The kings ransom would be good if your trying to rebuild, this team doesn't need to be rebuilt overnight, just needs depth. This years draft, picking 1sr every round, is going to provide plenty of depth.

just needs depth? the colts won two games. and if they keep manning and sign luck you can prolly kiss reggie and mathis bye bye and signing any free agent will be very difficult. good luck in thinking a bunch of rookies are going to come in and help peyton win another super bowl. how did this year's crop of rookies look?

That would suggest he wants to play for another team...

It was a valid point if we were talking about Curtis Painter. It's not a huge benefit to Peyton Manning. Again Any restructuring will have to come with some benefit to Manning, and that could still cause issues later.

Example of this would be a no trade clause, or an agreement on what we do with the draft pick.

I don't see a valid logical reason for Manning to agree to push the bonus date back.

What people fail to realise, both Pro-Manning, Pro-Luck, is that both ways are a huge gamble. Keep Peyton, and what happens if his injury has ruined him as a player while Luck romps to a career full of SB rings and MVP awards?

However, let Peyton walk, he moves to 49ers and wins 2 more rings with them in his remaining 6 years while Luck leaves Indy after 2 years going down as one of the biggest busts of all time.

Making an argument which involves around either one being too risky is stupid because they are BOTH risks. Is there anyone who honestly thinks (IF they're both up for it) we shouldn't go for both?

It was a valid point if we were talking about Curtis Painter. It's not a huge benefit to Peyton Manning. Again Any restructuring will have to come with some benefit to Manning, and that could still cause issues later.

Example of this would be a no trade clause, or an agreement on what we do with the draft pick.

I don't see a valid logical reason for Manning to agree to push the bonus date back.

Maybe a "keep Jim Caldwell" clause?

What people fail to realise, both Pro-Manning, Pro-Luck, is that both ways are a huge gamble. Keep Peyton, and what happens if his injury has ruined him as a player while Luck romps to a career full of SB rings and MVP awards?

However, let Peyton walk, he moves to 49ers and wins 2 more rings with them in his remaining 6 years while Luck leaves Indy after 2 years going down as one of the biggest busts of all time.

Making an argument which involves around either one being too risky is stupid because they are BOTH risks. Is there anyone who honestly thinks (IF they're both up for it) we shouldn't go for both?

Yeah 50 million reasons why.

The guys you're talking about re-signing are old in in the twilight of their careers. When you're getting old in the NFL there is a big difference between 2009 and 2012. That would be a heck of a gamble too. If we didn't win the SB in the next couple of years Peyton will be gone and so will all those guys. And we may have passed on the next QB face of the league. Time to build a great YOUNG core NOW. People talked about our window closing years ago. I think it has already closed on this group. Time to open up a new window.

Mathis is 30 years old. I would hardly consider that old or in the twilight of his career. Saturday, I definitely agree there. But we have no other option at center and I don't think whatever deal he wants would cost us that much. And Wayne, he's still playing at a high level. 75 catches and almost a 1000 yards with Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky. He still has several years of production left in him. That said, I wouldn't mind it at all if we let Wayne go and picked up Blackmon or Floyd in the draft. I definitely think we should re-sign Mathis, though. Still in his prime and giving away one of our pass rushers would hurt our defense immensely.