Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Manning/luck/2012 Draft Comments...[Mega-merge]

Blackhawk4

What we should do in case Peyton is without a doubt healthy is trade the first pick and get a 1st round pick for the '13 and/or '14 draft. Then improve our team with the newly acquired picks. We can draft a very good qb in '13/'14 and have him learn from Manning. If Manning is healthy, we have a shot at another super bowl. That we have that chance is pretty much guaranteed. With Luck, we don't know. Maybe he'll turn out great. Maybe he'll be a bust (unlikely). But very probably he will become a good qb like Rivers, who will not be as good as Peyton is.

If Peyton isn't healthy, no question: Get Luck and say good bye to #18, as much as that would hurt.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it this way, most 2-14 teams have that record because they suck at pretty much every position, NOT because their future HOF QB is out for the year with an injury. Andrew Luck, if we draft him, is walking into a very beneficial situation for himself. Do you honestly think he would mind learning the game for a few years behind one of the best QB's to ever play the game? I can't remember, but has any other 1st round drafted rookie QB ever had the same thing happen? I don't think he's stupid enough to turn a gold mine of an opportunity down, to be perfectly honest.

Also, seeing as Luck has been to Peyton's camp a few times (both as a player and as a counselor), it would seem that there really is no issue with the two of them working together. Also, given the solid character of them both, I would be really surprised if either of them pulled a diva fit.

If Irsay can afford them both, I think he should keep both. Just my two cents...

Let's just say this. What if Irsay does cut Peyton & draft Andrew Luck & then in Offseason workouts Luck tears his ACL. Want we be back in the same position we were in this year? Then all of these Sports Commentators would say ''Why did they cut Peyton'' I hope we can keep both because with Luck starting under center next year, I don't think we win 5 games.

Let's just saw this. What if Irsay does cut Peyton & draft Andrew Luck & then in Offseason workouts Luck tears his ACL. Want we be back in the same position we were in this year? Then all of these Sports Commentators would say ''Why did they cut Peyton'' I hope we can keep both because with Luck starting under center next year, I don't think we win 5 games.

All QB's struggle their first year somewhat including Manning and Elway. We would be in full rebuild mode. There is just as good a chance of Peyton going down with injury. I heard on ESPN if we keep them both it would cost 50 million. That would handicap a team trying to rebuild/

All QB's struggle their first year somewhat including Manning and Elway. We would be in full rebuild mode. There is just as good a chance of Peyton going down with injury. I heard on ESPN if we keep them both it would cost 50 million. That would handicap a team trying to rebuild/

Thats true but what im asking, if we cut Peyton and Luck goes down in the Offseason, then what?

It's going to be an interesting few months. We all know it here, it has been proven in past years and especially this year. Peyton makes a team at least an immediate playoff contender. But his health is the main thing. If he's healthy though, you can't bail on him.

That being said, I still say draft Luck.

One thing I would want is for Jim Irsay to go to Peyton and ask him to restructure his contract. Irsay is all about making him the highest paid QB in the league, but let's face it, for this to work I think Peyton's going to have to take a little less money. As I said, draft Luck and work out the cap room.

I also don't see why Andrew Luck wouldn't want to learn from Peyton. You have a chance to learn from the smartest guy in the NFL. Take it

And here's another thought. What if something happens to Peyton mid season? Who do you turn to? Orlovsky? No, wait, there's the prodigy waiting in the wings to take over. Peyton is coming off 3 neck surgeries. If he's possibly not the same or gets hurt again, you have a fallback in Luck until he (hopefully) sticks around to develop for the future.

It's going to be an interesting few months. We all know it here, it has been proven in past years and especially this year. Peyton makes a team at least an immediate playoff contender. But his health is the main thing. If he's healthy though, you can't bail on him.

One thing I would want is for Jim Irsay to go to Peyton and ask him to restructure his contract. Irsay is all about making him the highest paid QB in the league, but let's face it, for this to work I think Peyton's going to have to take a little less money. As I said, draft Luck and work out the cap room.

I also don't see why Andrew Luck wouldn't want to learn from Peyton. You have a chance to learn from the smartest guy in the NFL. Take it

And here's another thought. What if something happens to Peyton mid season? Who do you turn to? Orlovsky? No, wait, there's the prodigy waiting in the wings to take over. Peyton is coming off 3 neck surgeries. If he's possibly not the same or gets hurt again, you have a fallback in Luck until he (hopefully) sticks around to develop for the future.

I agree with everything you said 100%!!!

Peyton is going to take a lot less money so we can draft his replacement? I don't see it.

Do you think Peyton would have wanted to learn from someone or play his first season?

If it was Montana or Marino I don't think he would of mind. Of course everyone wants to play but learning from maybe the Greatest QB to play the game, why not sit a year or 2 and learn. Its not even guaranteed Peyton would make it the whole season.

Peyton is going to take a lot less money so we can draft his replacement? I don't see it.

You may be right. Irsay signed him to that monster deal, but Peyton wanted less money for the better of the team. I could be wrong but I'm thinking that he may have had it in the back of his mind that his replacement could be coming soon with the neck injuries and being he's up in age.

If it was Montana or Marino I don't think he would of mind. Of course everyone wants to play but learning from maybe the Greatest QB to play the game, why not sit a year or 2 and learn. Its not even guaranteed Peyton would make it the whole season.

No way Peyton would have sat behind either of those guys, or Elway. Manning was ready from day 1. I wish we could ask him.

If Luck is told that he will be sitting for a while I could really see him trying to pull an Eli. It's not like he doesn't know he's the top prospect in a long time and I'm sure he doesn't want to miss out on the first 2 or 3 years of his career. There are no easy decisions to be made concerning this whole draft thing.