Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defamation suit filed against Ted Wells

Bad Morty

I am not surprised this has happened given the NFL in its 15 page letter to Berman in the Brady case on Friday said that article 46 in the CBA allows them to hire an investigator who is not independent. Of course this is after both the league and Wells for months claimed he was independent. So it would seem Turner will claim Wells was not independent with his Miami investigation and try to win for defamation given he has not been able to land another job in the NFL.

It is amazing the tentacles this air ball pressure saga has and I am sure there will be many more to come ...

I am not surprised this has happened given the NFL in its 15 page letter to Berman in the Brady case on Friday said that article 46 in the CBA allows them to hire an investigator who is not independent. Of course this is after both the league and Wells for months claimed he was independent. So it would seem Turner will claim Wells was not independent with his Miami investigation and try to win for defamation given he has not been able to land another job in the NFL.

It is amazing the tentacles this air ball pressure saga has and I am sure there will be many more to come ...

Didn't take you long to try to turn this into a thread about Brady, Again.

Didn't take you long to try to turn this into a thread about Brady, Again.

The timing suggests that Turner chose to file precisely because of the Brady case which will help him discredit Wells in his defamation claim. Also, it has been speculated that Brady may also file a defamation suit in which case Turner's case and any discovery would help Brady. 

Again lots of tentacles on this bad boy.

The legal definition of defamation requires proof of malicious intent. So.... good luck with that. 

http://dictionary.law.com/default.aspx?selected=458

"Public figures, including officeholders and candidates, have to show that the defamation was made with malicious intent and was not just fair comment."

For sure it is a high bar to reach but I don't know enough about the Turner situation to know if he has a strong case.

The timing suggests that Turner chose to file precisely because of the Brady case which will help him discredit Wells in his defamation claim. Also, it has been speculated that Brady may also file a defamation suit in which case Turner's case and any discovery would help Brady.

Again lots of tentacles on this bad boy.

These cases have nothing to do with one another.

Everyone, including you, were very happy with the Wells investigation and getting to the bottom of what was going on in Miami.

:scratch:

If that is so, why is Turner suing Wells and not the NFL (or both)? It is the NFL who hired Wells.

I hope the lawsuit gets tossed.

If that is so, why is Turner suing Wells and not the NFL (or both)? It is the NFL who hired Wells.

I hope the lawsuit gets tossed.

I don't know the specifics but what was defaming was probably what Wells said in his report vs anything the league said I would guess.

what are brady fans trying to prove here?  you are not going to change our minds on this no matter what, just like we will never change yours.  we think he is guilty no matter what you say, and you think he is innocent no matter what we say.

this case might hold the record for most amout of arguing back and forth, while having the least amount of listening on both sides.

What's so great about the character of Ted Wells?

What isn't. Everything I've read he has been a really good defense attorney working on world famous cases. Not saying he is a good man etc because I don't know him personally but as far as his quaifications...well they speak for themself. I doubt he would risk his creditials and name to besmirk Jim Turner, Richie Incognito, or even yes Tom Brady. As for Richie...well I can't say that about. He has proven himself over and over to do some horrible things.

Is that because you have strong feelings about Jim Turner's innocence?

I went to school with Jim Turner. So your snarky insinuation is misplaced. We was a tremendously well respected player and coach at Boston College and he was 100% railroaded by this scumbag Wells. The guy served his country honorably to boot in the Marine Corps.

I went to school with Jim Turner. So your snarky insinuation is misplaced. We was a tremendously well respected player and coach at Boston College and he was 100% railroaded by this scumbag Wells. The guy served his country honorably to boot in the Marine Corps.

Aside from his good reputation, this is a good place to say why you think he was railroaded

Aside from his good reputation, this is a good place to say why you think he was railroaded

A) As I said, Turner is a first rate stand up guy and ex-marine

B) As we know, Wells is a lying scumbag

Pretty easy math...hey remember that phone conference Wells did where he got all indignant about everyone claiming he wasn't independent? Lol...that is hilarious to listen to in light of the NFL now admitting he wasn't independent.

Pretty easy math...hey remember that phone conference Wells did where he got all indignant about everyone claiming he wasn't independent? Lol...that is hilarious to listen to in light of the NFL now admitting he wasn't independent.

OK, just wondering what the discussion topic was

What isn't. Everything I've read he has been a really good defense attorney working on world famous cases. Not saying he is a good man etc because I don't know him personally but as far as his quaifications...well they speak for themself. I doubt he would risk his creditials and name to besmirk Jim Turner, Richie Incognito, or even yes Tom Brady. As for Richie...well I can't say that about. He has proven himself over and over to do some horrible things.

I'm aware he is a renowned lawyer, just wondered about the character part. Incognito is a jerk, but representing clients like big tobacco, Exxon and Micheal Milken reveals little other than he really likes money.

I'm aware he is a renowned lawyer, just wondered about the character part. Incognito is a jerk, but representing clients like big tobacco, Exxon and Micheal Milken reveals little other than he really likes money.

It doesn't matter if he is a jerk too....what it does show is that he represents and works on huge cases and he would have to be a fool to tarnish his reputation/career just to take down little ol Incognito and company. That little case he would have to be crazy/stupid to risk his career over to just send Richie up the river....besides Richie and company had done so much damage that even John Larroquette could have put that report together.

It doesn't matter if he is a jerk too....what it does show is that he represents and works on huge cases and he would have to be a fool to tarnish his reputation/career just to take down little ol Incognito and company. That little case he would have to be crazy/stupid to risk his career over to just send Richie up the river....besides Richie and company had done so much damage that even John Larroquette could have put that report together.

That wasn't my point. I really don't care about any of that.

Just a few post above I posted a link to an interview Turner did with Sirius radio explaining how Wells treated him during the investigation. I have to admit that I did not follow the story much at all when it was going on but if what Turner says is true than I think he has a good case for defamation but the bar is very high to win such a case so we will see how it goes ...

lord...

Just a few post above I posted a link to an interview Turner did with Sirius radio explaining how Wells treated him during the investigation. I have to admit that I did not follow the story much at all when it was going on but if what Turner says is true than I think he has a good case for defamation but the bar is very high to win such a case so we will see how it goes ...

hmm

I don't know anything about what was said between the two

But I doubt we go on the say so of either

I wouldn't expect him to file a law suit and then go on radio with anything other that what I guess he did.......since I didn't hear it