Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian: "Colts as good as anybody"

TKnight24

It usually seems like each season there are at least 6 or 8 teams that have a legit shot at winning the SB. As the season goes along, factors such as injuries, luck, bad officiating, etc. will close teams title windows. At this point you can say with certainty that the Colts are a) one of those few teams whose title window is open and b) that they're a better team now than they were at the last game of last season. You can't ask for much more going into training camp.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Even if they can reach the heights this year, which they're certainly capable of doing if they play good defense, how do you sustain it?  But this year, they're as good as anybody, that's for sure."

I wish I knew the tone of how Bill said that. Was it genuine praise or sarcastic praise? I won't lie to ya. I'm still upset that Bill chose not to visit INDY with a new QB under the reins almost as if Polian is still stinging over Irsay giving him the boot after the 2011 season. I also seem to recall in 2006 the Colts had defensive weaknesses as well as 2009 under his watch as the GM. Does he take any responsibility for that? Hmmm...

Look, I appreciate what Bill did for INDY in 2006 & his credentials in Buffalo alone earned him a yellow jacket, but "they're as good as anybody" is like darning somebody with faint praise. A put down masquerading as a complement to me like a guy no longer at a company who feels slighted & 2nd guessed almost as if his contributions to the franchise are not respected & revered enough since he's not running the GM show anymore more. I have yet to hear Polian complement Grigson once for helping INDY reach the playoffs every year under a new regime revamping our team almost from the bottom up. Other than Robert Mathis, Adam V., Pat Mcafee, & maybe Anthony Castonzo not many players from the Polian era are still left. 

It just bothers me that Bill acts like INDY doesn't really matter even though the Colts success & his success ring wise are forever linked. JMO.  

He is speaking as a former GM when he said that, He is saying that if we reach that then how do we sustain it, Under his watch he brought us a championship,,,,He really don't need to take responsibility for anything, We went to two SB's, Some teams with QB's close to or the caliber of QB P Manning never sniffed the SB(Dan Marinos Dolphins)

" Even if they can reach the heights this year, which they're certainly capable of doing if they play good defense, how do you sustain it?  But this year, they're as good as anybody, that's for sure."

I wish I knew the tone of how Bill said that. Was it genuine praise or sarcastic praise? I won't lie to ya. I'm still upset that Bill chose not to visit INDY with a new QB under the reins almost as if Polian is still stinging over Irsay giving him the boot after the 2011 season. I also seem to recall in 2006 the Colts had defensive weaknesses as well as 2009 under his watch as the GM. Does he take any responsibility for that? Hmmm...

Look, I appreciate what Bill did for INDY in 2006 & his credentials in Buffalo alone earned him a yellow jacket, but "they're as good as anybody" is like darning somebody with faint praise. A put down masquerading as a complement to me like a guy no longer at a company who feels slighted & 2nd guessed almost as if his contributions to the franchise are not respected & revered enough since he's not running the GM show anymore more. I have yet to hear Polian complement Grigson once for helping INDY reach the playoffs every year under a new regime revamping our team almost from the bottom up. Other than Robert Mathis, Adam V., Pat Mcafee, & maybe Anthony Castonzo not many players from the Polian era are still left. 

It just bothers me that Bill acts like INDY doesn't really matter even though the Colts success & his success ring wise are forever linked. JMO.  

I give Polian his kudos for his time in Indy but I have not been a fan of Polian at all. When him and his son were shown the door the Colts were in shambles. Bill lost the ability to communicate and understand todays players. His old school mentality did not work and hadn't worked for a few years. I am like you when it comes to what Polian has to say about the Colts. He has a very sly way of saying one thing and being sarcastic on the flip side. I have a hard time not to laugh at him for becoming exactly the person he always had a problem with. (media)

He is speaking as a former GM when he said that, He is saying that if we reach that then how do we sustain it, Under his watch he brought us a championship,,,,He really don't need to take responsibility for anything, We went to two SB's, Some teams with QB's close to or the caliber of QB P Manning never sniffed the SB(Dan Marinos Dolphins)

So who's responsibility was it when the Colts were 2-14 and 39 million in dead cap space? Just saying.

Dan Marino played in a Super Bowl his 2nd year as a pro.

I give Polian his kudos for his time in Indy but I have not been a fan of Polian at all. When him and his son were shown the door the Colts were in shambles. Bill lost the ability to communicate and understand todays players. His old school mentality did not work and hadn't worked for a few years. I am like you when it comes to what Polian has to say about the Colts. He has a very sly way of saying one thing and being sarcastic on the flip side. I have a hard time not to laugh at him for becoming exactly the person he always had a problem with. (media)

Nice post CC1. I'm not going on a bash Polian binge tonight, but you are right when you say that Bill loved the media as long as they never questioned his decision making. I always remember reading Polian's Corner when questions took on an adversarial tone or Bill objected to not buying what he was selling. Bill never handled criticism that well. Most guys just go "Let's agree to disagree then" Bill not so much. He always had this aura about him like "I've been doing this GM thing a lot longer than most reporters & what the hades do they know anyway? Nothing." I will give experience a lot of weight Bill, but at a certain point, a GM has to acknowledge that you were an offensive speed scout as opposed to a stout defensive guy. Look at 2009 alone. Peyton Manning had to win several games late that year because our defense couldn't close out games it should have. 

Yeah, I suppose over time it's only natural to lose touch with guys in the locker room or you just want an easier paying gig with less headaches. I just get this feeling that since Bill drafted Manning & not Luck his allegiance let alone interest with the Colts died when both he & Peyton got let go or sidelined by surgeries. I honestly believe that. 

Bill does deserve credit for taking INDY to 2 SBs in INDY's history & I will never diminish that. Yes, he did draft 2 premier pass rushers in Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis, but it doesn't stop there & we should have cut loose injury prone safety Bob Sanders a lot quicker too. But, I do give Bill credit for having the courage to admit that Curtis Painter sucked & he made a mistake thinking he could hold down the fort in Manning's absence. 

I get what your saying about getting to the SB Gavin more than once Gavin & yes, there is the school of thought that GMs are just supposed to bring in the athletic talent & the coach is supposed to win vital must have games. But, I never heard Bill take much heat for not replenishing the defense enough after our 2009 SB loss to New Orleans though. Bill always seemed WR or TE heavy to me in terms of how he drafted. Seems reasonable given Peyton's quick release of the ball & his uncanny ability to anticipate throws by knowing routes & when to break routes better than say Pierre Garcon 1st landed in INDY. 

Yeah I know, Jerry Hughes on defense eventually became a success in Buffalo even though the Colts never saw it materialize here. So Bill did have some success on the other side of the ball with solid pass rushers. I guess I never quite understood why Bill was immune from criticism when we under performed in defense in 2009 at the SB. Yes, I know Freeney was a no go after halftime that year, but why did we crumble after Freeney was out? Isn't providing depth in case of game injury part of his job description as GM? I'm just saying...

It just troubles me that Bill can bring up defense as a question mark now in 2015 when if a reporter asked him the same question in 2009 he'd lose it or go "You are what your record says you are" & getting to a 2nd SB in franchise history is pretty good isn't it? No Bill, the objective is to win the darn SB not just come close in the 2nd one. 

Hank Baskett mishandling that onside kick in the 3rd Qtr actually made fans forget the lack of depth issue after Freeney was unable to go in the 2nd half of the SB. That special teams blunder by Baskett saved Polian's bacon if you ask me. He wasn't gonna be fired over it, but I can promise you fans wouldn't have let Bill get a pass on the no plan B once Freeney went down question trust me on this one. 

The Colts are one of the top teams in the AFC. We play in the weakest division. We should have a very good shot at being a top seed barring injury. We have added to the offense and the defense.

Langford, Cole, Irving, Anderson, Smith potentially Geathers added to a healthy fit Jones and the return of Mathis will make the D better. The young guys from last year should be improved.

A Johnson, Gore, Herremans, Dorsett a healthy Holmes potentially healthy Godser added to the offense. Moncrief, and Harrison should be improved. We have some guys that we don't know about yet Hennan, Carter, John, Robinson. We still have one of the best TE duos in the league an explosive WR and arguably the best young QB in the game.

We are a better team than last year. There will be some real competition in camp and some tough cuts. Grig's has added a little more each year. Will it be enough to win a championship? That will be decided on the field but we are certainly in the conversation. I am not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

So who's responsibility was it when the Colts were 2-14 and 39 million in dead cap space? Just saying.

I don't know where your getting that 39 mill from...That might be the right number but I don't remember, I don't recall the exact number but history shows if Manning was healthy in 2011 there is no way in hell we would have went 2-14......As a matter of fact much closer to 14-2. Also while Polian deserves some blame for the team being in cap room hell(He did hang onto mediocre talent at several spots) that don't all fall on him, He wasn't the one more then likely figuring up the actual numbers cap wise. Not all GM's do...Probably most GM's don't is my guess because they have enough to worry about with the roster. We know now Mike Bluem structures the Colts cap....My guess....And this is just a guess is that Polian did not directly handle the cap but meetings were held and he was given the number and he worked with that number whatever that number was at the time.

Right. But I'm going on what history had taught us until proven otherwise. I hope this is the year the Colts make it over the NE hump.

Also arguing who is very on property is senseless because we know how resourceful and creative NE is. I'm pretty sure on paper, the idea of letting Jonas Grey be the starting RB against what was a respectable run D sounded like a terrible idea on paper....

Can you translate your 2nd paragraph into English for me?

I don't know where your getting that 39 mill from...That might be the right number but I don't remember, I don't recall the exact number but history shows if Manning was healthy in 2011 there is no way in hell we would have went 2-14......As a matter of fact much closer to 14-2. Also while Polian deserves some blame for the team being in cap room hell(He did hang onto mediocre talent at several spots) that don't all fall on him, He wasn't the one more then likely figuring up the actual numbers cap wise. Not all GM's do...Probably most GM's don't is my guess because they have enough to worry about with the roster. We know now Mike Bluem structures the Colts cap....My guess....And this is just a guess is that Polian did not directly handle the cap but meetings were held and he was given the number and he worked with that number whatever that number was at the time.

Some blame? When you are the head man it is your responsibility and when things are bad the horse dung starts at the top. I think you are over exaggerating a 14 win season in 2011 had Manning been healthy. But if so it would have ended with the same results as all but three years of Mannings years here and that is with a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs. IMO there were way too many early exits in the playoffs because of Polians inability to field a total team around Manning. We had pass rushers but did we have run stoppers? We had over paid players at key positions pretty much the whole time Polian was here.

I think the Colts are as good as any team too.  As long as they can figure out how to stop the dang run against New England they will be fine.  New England lost quite a few decent players.  I think the Colts match up well against the Packers and Seahawks.  I know they beat them  2 and 3 years ago but the Seahawks did win the superbowl the year the Colts beat them.  I think its going to be a fun and exciting year!

I get what your saying about getting to the SB Gavin more than once Gavin & yes, there is the school of thought that GMs are just supposed to bring in the athletic talent & the coach is supposed to win vital must have games. But, I never heard Bill take much heat for not replenishing the defense enough after our 2009 SB loss to New Orleans though. Bill always seemed WR or TE heavy to me in terms of how he drafted. Seems reasonable given Peyton's quick release of the ball & his uncanny ability to anticipate throws by knowing routes & when to break routes better than say Pierre Garcon 1st landed in INDY. 

Yeah I know, Jerry Hughes on defense eventually became a success in Buffalo even though the Colts never saw it materialize here. So Bill did have some success on the other side of the ball with solid pass rushers. I guess I never quite understood why Bill was immune from criticism when we under performed in defense in 2009 at the SB. Yes, I know Freeney was a no go after halftime that year, but why did we crumble after Freeney was out? Isn't providing depth in case of game injury part of his job description as GM? I'm just saying...

It just troubles me that Bill can bring up defense as a question mark now in 2015 when if a reporter asked him the same question in 2009 he'd lose it or go "You are what your record says you are" & getting to a 2nd SB in franchise history is pretty good isn't it? No Bill, the objective is to win the darn SB not just come close in the 2nd one. 

Hank Baskett mishandling that onside kick in the 3rd Qtr actually made fans forget the lack of depth issue after Freeney was unable to go in the 2nd half of the SB. That special teams blunder by Baskett saved Polian's bacon if you ask me. He wasn't gonna be fired over it, but I can promise you fans wouldn't have let Bill get a pass on the no plan B once Freeney went down question trust me on this one. 

Gee, all he had was Robert Mathis. lmao!

He drafted to make PM look like a GOAT!  Period!!! Manning did beat the fantastico R grossman to win HIS SB. Kinda sad really!

He drafted to make PM look like a GOAT!  Period!!! Manning did beat the fantastico R grossman to win HIS SB. Kinda sad really!

Tom Brady lost to Eli Manning in the super bowl...... twice.

How's that for sad?

Manning did beat the fantastico R grossman to win HIS SB. Kinda sad really!

i dont get that argument, but i see it brought up all the time.  Who cares if the colts beat one of the worst teams to ever make it to the super bowl?  i would have given MVP to kelvin hayden, but like we saw with brady this year they like to hand that award to the QB

who cares though, its our first and only ring in indy!  the team proved themselves plenty in the conference final that year

Some blame? When you are the head man it is your responsibility and when things are bad the horse dung starts at the top. I think you are over exaggerating a 14 win season in 2011 had Manning been healthy. But if so it would have ended with the same results as all but three years of Mannings years here and that is with a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs. IMO there were way too many early exits in the playoffs because of Polians inability to field a total team around Manning. We had pass rushers but did we have run stoppers? We had over paid players at key positions pretty much the whole time Polian was here.

"But if so it would have ended with the same results as all but three years of Mannings years here and that is with a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs."

Well that's speculation....Not that I don't agree....But still speculation

"When you are the head man it is your responsibility and when things are bad the horse dung starts at the top."

I also agree.....Irsay clearly does to....However that don't mean he was the primary employee to figure out the cap

"IMO there were way too many early exits in the playoffs because of Polians inability to field a total team around Manning."

I agree and it was frustrating

"We had pass rushers but did we have run stoppers? We had over paid players at key positions pretty much the whole time Polian was here."

I agree and he deserves blame for that

i dont get that argument, but i see it brought up all the time.  Who cares if the colts beat one of the worst teams to ever make it to the super bowl?  i would have given MVP to kelvin hayden, but like we saw with brady this year they like to hand that award to the QB

who cares though, its our first and only ring in indy!  the team proved themselves plenty in the conference final that year

Not only the conference final but all three playoff games

KC:  The consensus amongst the talking heads was KC was the wildcard team most likely to advance because there was no way the Colts could stop their running game.

Ravens:  Their D was too tough for Indy, in Baltimore, most had the Patriots and Ravens in the AFCC game.

Pats:  Their was no way the Colts could shake the monkey off their back.  New England was back after beating the Chargers and then when they INT a Manning pass to make the score 21-3 late in the 2nd quarter it was over and Pats were moving on to another SB.

Additionally, people forget that the Bears didn't get too the SB because of Rex Grossman's QB ability, they got there because of their D, their running game and ST.  Manning picked apart the D with his play calling and the D did a great job against the running game and other than the opening KO the ST kept Hester in check all game.

put the flask down man, seriously.  The Bears did NOT get to that SB on the arm of Grossman.

Actually, I remember that 2006 SB differently. To me, Rex Grossman was a non factor. What I respected most about Manning that night is that he won the SB in down pouring rain & 1 of the biggest knocks against 18 is that he struggled to win big games in inclement  or challenging weather. The odds were even for both field generals & Peyton rose to the challenge & won. I was really proud of him for facing down that demon & persevering. 

I realize you were being sarcastic in your statement BBZ. I get that, but it's not like Peyton had any control over which team he faced in the Lombardi showdown either. If the conditions are identical for both teams & 1 QB works thru adversity while the other 1 flounders, it matters & the victor deserves credit for that. That's how I roll. 

I may be wrong, but I do believe we are as good as anyone.  The problem imo, especially considering the Pats, is that we don't always execute like we should.  The Pats execute almost flawlessly and that's why they beat us.  With Revis, they might have had more talent, but I sure don't believe they have more talent this year.  

The Colts are one of the top teams in the AFC. We play in the weakest division. We should have a very good shot at being a top seed barring injury. We have added to the offense and the defense.

Langford, Cole, Irving, Anderson, Smith potentially Geathers added to a healthy fit Jones and the return of Mathis will make the D better. The young guys from last year should be improved.

A Johnson, Gore, Herremans, Dorsett a healthy Holmes potentially healthy Godser added to the offense. Moncrief, and Harrison should be improved. We have some guys that we don't know about yet Hennan, Carter, John, Robinson. We still have one of the best TE duos in the league an explosive WR and arguably the best young QB in the game.

We are a better team than last year. There will be some real competition in camp and some tough cuts. Grig's has added a little more each year. Will it be enough to win a championship? That will be decided on the field but we are certainly in the conversation. I am not sure how anyone can say otherwise.

I wrote a response to this post last night, but for some reason this site on this page was acting strange. Let's try this again. Here goes: If Dorsett works out as a speed return guy on special teams, my initial rage over wasting a 1st round pick on him with dissipate swiftly. I'm more concerned about our protection up front for Andrew & running lanes for Gore more than anything else so I hope that Herremans experience will make a huge difference creating craters for Frank to punch through. 

WR & TE depth do not concern me. We just need to win in the trenches & Trent Cole as a pass rusher should help our defense. 

I may be wrong, but I do believe we are as good as anyone. The problem imo, especially considering the Pats, is that we don't always execute like we should. The Pats execute almost flawlessly and that's why they beat us. With Revis, they might have had more talent, but I sure don't believe they have more talent this year.

The thing that strikes me about the Patriots is they don't beat themselves. Remember thinking last year the Colts built themselves a huge hole when Cribbs fumbled and when they let the pats on the field with a silly defensive penalty they were done. That gets down to the execution you mentioned.

These Colts remind me of the 2009-2010 Jets. Made their way to the AFC championship and got beat by the better team. Next year loaded up on vets (LT, Holmes, Jason Taylor) and were very close to going to the SB. Still don't think that was a fumble that Sanchez lost that ended up costing them the game before the first half.

I wrote a response to this post last night, but for some reason this site on this page was acting strange. Let's try this again. Here goes: If Dorsett works out as a speed return guy on special teams, my initial rage over wasting a 1st round pick on him with dissipate swiftly. I'm more concerned about our protection up front for Andrew & running lanes for Gore more than anything else so I hope that Herremans experience will make a huge difference creating craters for Frank to punch through.

WR & TE depth do not concern me. We just need to win in the trenches & Trent Cole as a pass rusher should help our defense.

Langford and an healthy Jones our D Line is already better. If we get a jump from Hughes Kerr and a dark horse I like Quarles. Then Anderson provides help as well.

We added Irving should help vs the run Cole and Mathis should help the pass rush. Newsome should be better with a yr under his belt and better talent around him. Freeman will be healthy

The back end anyone is better than Landry. I think Lowery might surprise. Staff seems high on Guy. We added Smith and Geathers in the draft. Every group on D should be improved.

The O line as always is the big question mark on the other side of the ball. I think Harrison will be settled down at C be able to just play not think. Herremans will provide leadership for a young group.

Add Gore AJohnson Dorsett hopefully Allen can stay healthy. Skill positions improved.

We are a better team this year one of the tops in AFC I don't see how that's questionable.

"But if so it would have ended with the same results as all but three years of Mannings years here and that is with a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs."

Well that's speculation....Not that I don't agree....But still speculation

"When you are the head man it is your responsibility and when things are bad the horse dung starts at the top."

I also agree.....Irsay clearly does to....However that don't mean he was the primary employee to figure out the cap

"IMO there were way too many early exits in the playoffs because of Polians inability to field a total team around Manning."

I agree and it was frustrating

"We had pass rushers but did we have run stoppers? We had over paid players at key positions pretty much the whole time Polian was here."

I agree and he deserves blame for that

Bottom line is Polian was a terrible drafter. I won't call him a terrible GM because he has some accomplishments, but he was awful at drafting and that flaw is likely the reason the Colts never reached their full potential with Manning. The Colts should have won at least 3 Superbowls in his tenure.

Bottom line is Polian was a terrible drafter. I won't call him a terrible GM because he has some accomplishments, but he was awful at drafting and that flaw is likely the reason the Colts never reached their full potential with Manning. The Colts should have won at least 3 Superbowls in his tenure.

yep manning, edge, freeney, Clark, Wayne, mcafee, Bob sanders, Mathis, castonzo. Just no talent there at all...

yep manning, edge, freeney, Clark, Wayne, mcafee, Bob sanders, Mathis, castonzo. Just no talent there at all...

I'm general though his drafts were abysmal. He would get 1 good player per draft. Grigson had almost the same number of names to his profile just with the 2012 draft.

I'm not saying he didn't draft some good players, but to be the GM for about 13 years and only come out with 7 or so great players (Sanders had short lived success and Clark was solid-good) is terrible. He basically drafted 1 good player per draft. But in general his drafts were awful, especially towards the end. I don't even think we have anyone from the 2008-2011 draft class left on the team besides McAfee(2009) and Castonzo (2011). Even if you say it's 2015 and 7 years is a long time, just looking from 2010-now is enough.

He didn't draft nearly enough top talent to give Manning a great team.

I'm general though his drafts were abysmal. He would get 1 good player per draft. Grigson had almost the same number of names to his profile just with the 2012 draft.

I'm not saying he didn't draft some good players, but to be the GM for about 13 years and only come out with 7 or so great players (Sanders had short lived success and Clark was solid-good) is terrible. He basically drafted 1 good player per draft. But in general his drafts were awful, especially towards the end. I don't even think we have anyone from the 2008-2011 draft class left on the team besides McAfee(2009) and Castonzo (2011). Even if you say it's 2015 and 7 years is a long time, just looking from 2010-now is enough.

Clark was "solid-good"? Get the hell out of here.

Peyton Manning

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

Edgerrin James

Joseph Addai

Thurman Thomas

Andre Reed

Ellis Johnson

Marvin Harrison

Reggie Wayne

Tarik Glenn

Bertrand Berry

Mike Peterson

Dallas Clark

Bob Sanders(Same as Gonzalez)

Jake Scott

Anthony Gonzalez (showed promise before injuries)

Pierre Garcon

Pat Mcafee

Jerry Hughes

Anthony Castonzo

Austin Collie

Ryan Deim

He missed a lot and Im not nearly as familiar with all his Bills picks as I am his Colts picks but he got plenty right over the years, He failed to draft enough talent on defense especially to give Manning a great team I agree but he also made plenty of great picks or players that showed a lot of promise prior to getting injured

Only 7 or so great players?  Some GMs are lucky if they get one...

Also this isn't factoring in at all his draft picks in Buffalo.  The man drafted or played a major roll in the drafting of four Hall of Famers there before he ever got to Indianapolis.  In Indy he clearly drafted at least one in Peyton Manning and you could make a very strong case that Edge, Wayne, and maybe Freeney and or Mathis will join him one day in the Hall of Fame.  Drafting between five to nine Hall of Famers is a pretty darn good draft track record.

There is no way you set all the records the Colts did for winning while he was GM and not be good at drafting.  Factor in that the Colts had to draft well because they had their money tied up in a handful of star players (that he drafted by the way) that they couldn't play much in free agency and it's pretty clear Polian did a very good drafting over the time he was here.  No not every player he drafted was a star but not every player any team drafts is going to be a star.  Sometimes you just get good key pieces and he did that.  However, let's break down his drafting history.

Here is a link to who they have taken so I don't have to retype it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history#1998_Draft

98 - Clearly got a homerun in Manning but also got three other pretty good players in that draft.  Pathon was their number two WR in the early Manning days.  Green was good when healthy which wasn't enough and McKinney was a solid lineman for the Colts while he was here.  So that is four good picks out of seven

99 - Another homerun with Edge.  A very good player in Peterson.  Scioli game them a couple of solid years which is pretty good for a fifth round pick and Hunter Smith was a hit as he was their punter up until McAfee was drafted.  So Four good picks out of seven.

2000 - Morris was a solid starter for a few years.  Washington was pretty good during his time here and Macklin and Williams both played and started on defense at time.  Four pretty good picks out of seven.

2001 - Homerun with Wayne and I would say another major hit in Diem who was a cornerstone on the line for 10 years.  That's extremely good for a fourth round pick.  He also got DeMulling who was a pretty good lineman while he was there.  Byrd and Bashir both played while here so I would three really good picks and two decent ones out of eight picks. 

2002 - Again Polian hit a homerun in the first round with Freeney and also landed Thornton in that draft who was maybe Polian's best linebacker pick while he was here.  Over all not his best draft though as he got two really good picks but pretty much missed on the other six.

2003 - Maybe Polian's best draft.  He got Clark, Mathis, and June who were all pro-bowlers here.  He got Doss who was a starter while here but not much to write home about but still a minor hit.  He also got Strickland who was just a solid guy for a couple of years.  So two homerun picks and another good pick in June.  Minor hits for Doss and Strickland so five good picks out of eight.

2004 - Bob Sanders was the star of this draft class.  Hits for Sorgi and Jake Scott.  Credit for Jason David but again nothing to write home about.  So four good picks out of nine picks

2005 - Nailed the first two rounds with Jackson and Hayden as they played major roll in the Colts winning their Super Bowl.  Credit for Hagler and Giordano as they were good special teamers for the Colts.  So four good picks out of ten picks.

2006 - An extremely underrated draft for Polian.  Hit for Addai, Colts don't win the Super Bowl without him and while he doesn't go on the Colts Mt. Rushmore of runningbacks I do think was an underrated player here.  Also hit a homerun in the sixth round in Bethea and landed Charlie Johnson in the later rounds as well. So three very good picks out of seven.  Should be noted one of those misses was Jennings who went on to be a very good player for the Bears.

2007 -  The downhill slide began and I do think Polian started to turn control over to his son.  Gonzo was good when he was healthy but much like EG Green that was few and far between.  Ugoh was maybe his worst draft day move ever other than not drafting Brady in fifth round to be Manning's backup when Brady came out (I am joking there.).  Honestly the guy they probably got the most out of in this draft was Clint Session or Keyunta Dawnson and neither of them were anything special.  Still Id' give them two minor hits for those picks but still pretty much flat misses across the board on nine picks.

2008 - Wheeler and Tamme were hits Garcon was the star of this class.  Hart gave them some mileage at running back so I give him credit for four players in this draft out of nine picks.

2009 - Credit for McAfee, Collie, and Powers.  Brown would have been a hit if taken in any round but the first so I give him three hits out of eight.

2010 - Angerer and Conner were good in the 4-3 defense but didn't transition well to the 3-4 but for Polian's teams they are hits.  So two hits out of eight.  Again worth noting that like Jennings, Hughes went on to be good elsewhere. 

2011 - Only five picks but a major homerun with Castonzo but that was his only good pick that year so one for five. 

So I think when you look at this it becomes clear that more years than not Polian hit on about half of his picks which is pretty good for any GM.  I also think what you notice is if you look at 2006 and before most of his picks that he hit on were coming in the early rounds including a stretch where he drafted maybe four Hall of Famers in five years in the first round.  Add in two more pro-bowlers in the first round in Addai and Clark and a second rounder who was a defensive player of the year in Sanders his worst "first" draft pick through 2006 was Rob Morris who was a solid starter for a number of years. 

After that most of his hits came in the later rounds with few hits in the early rounds.  That's what caused the slide.  He missed in the rounds where they couldn't afford to miss. 

You know this thread amazes me. This is a man who, along with Peyton Manning (who Polian drafted by the way) had as much to do with the Colts being transformed from NFL doormat to NFL powerhouse as anyone.  He's also a man who whenever asked says nothing but nice things about our city and expresses fondness about his time here.  He also built a team that rewrote the NFL record book for winning and brought this city it's only Super Bowl title.  Yet people are bashing on him after he said the Colts were as good as anyteam in the NFL...  I don't get it.  Was Polian a condescending jerk at times while he was here?  Sure, but I don't think that's a reason for people to hate him for life and try to pretend like he had nothing to do with the Colts success while he was here. 

Is that what he said? No, it's not, not even close.

New England is likely not even close to as good as last year's New England. So I see no reason why a, on paper, vastly improved Colts team couldn't compete with them.

But jskinnz's simple and factual point is that nothing has been proven either way as of yet. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

He really threw me for a loop on that one! I thought I was in a different thread.