Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"What if" Colts moments

bap1331

It's the offseason and I thought I'd come up with something interesting. Feel free to share your what ifs. Here's mine:

What IF Jim sorgi would have finished the 2007 AFC Championship game? When peyton told him to get ready after his injury.

What if Vanderjagt would've hit that FG in the playoffs vs the Steelers in '05?

Then we still would've had vanderjact in 2006 and wouldn't have won the field goal contest against the ravens in the divisional round. Hence, no super bowl trip until 2009 where we would've lost again...lol

What if CAT really spelled Dog? :) Anyone know the movie?

On a serious note, what if MJD didn't run all over us and the Jags didn't end up beating us back in 2011? Probably no Luck for us.

We would be doomed with rg3!!!! I still think luck would've fell to 2nd though. Redskins were probably more hyped about rg3. Or browns are cursed so rg3 would've been their guy...

Then we still would've had vanderjact in 2006 and wouldn't have won the field goal contest against the ravens in the divisional round. Hence, no super bowl trip until 2009 where we would've lost again...lol

I dunno, he was pretty much the most accurate kicker in the league until that fateful miss vs Pittsburgh. He was never right after that.

Oh another one... What if Usain Bolt decided to play football for the Colts... DB or WR or something like that... whaaaaaaaat. I mean I know the NFL has a long history of sprinters becoming professional receivers but with the way the game is played now-a-days and with the insane and, frankly, inhuman speed of Bolt... I mean i don't even care what team he played for, it would be amazing.

What IF Jim sorgi would have finished the 2007 AFC Championship game? When peyton told him to get ready after his injury.

Are you trying to give me a heart attack dude? Just kidding bap1331. Here's where my WI Badgers loyalty is tested since Sorgi went to UW-Madison. When he was drafted by INDY in 2004, I was like cool he will get the easiest backup QB SB ring in history & then Manning said "Get Ready" to Jim on the sidelines & I literally said in a panic "Sweet Jesus No! I wanna win god  darn it!" 

Sorry Sorgi. My nephew Josh burst out laughing when I shouted that in a petrified state of mind. I was scared crapless man more than Sorgi man. Josh knew how much I loved my Colts man. He just knew how nervous I was like a guy whose heart just hit the floor. I couldn't even look at the TV for about 20 seconds because I was a wreck. INDY can't get this close & go ah Jimmy win this 1 for the sherif okay? What the hades did Peyton just say? Am I having a stroke? Huh?  :omg:

What if Lovie Smith, then HC of the Bears, had actually allowed his DC Ron Rivera to apply more pressure on Peyton Manning at the SB in 2006? 

That actually worried me going into that game because I knew how aggressive Ron really was given that he played in & won SB XX in 1985 vs the Patriots 46-10.

Ron understands how to apply pressure well on defense. 

What if WR Austin Collie would have never sustained so many concussions in his INDY career & he was allowed to blossom to his elite potential? He was destined for stardom & I was so sad to see head trauma sideline his promising NFL trajectory. 

I'm torn here because I have the ut most respect for QB Drew Brees, but what if Dwight Freeney had not had a a torn ligament in his right ankle that more or less put an end to the tornado spin move in SB XLIV after halftime? I know he did his best to play on it gallantly & I'm not criticizing his effort at all BTW.  

Full disclose here: As heartbreaking as it was to lose that SB, I was glad we lost to a man like Drew. It made the outcome a little easier to swallow. 

What if INDY had drafted TY Law & Troy Brown instead of NE? Sure, I'll take 2 more Lombardi trophies.  haha

I included them in Colts NFL lore because those 2 athletes almost singlehandedly took additional rings away & out of the blue horseshoe's reach.  

I'm torn here because I have the ut most respect for QB Drew Brees, but what if Dwight Freeney had not had a a torn ligament in his right ankle that more or less put an end to the tornado spin move in SB XLIV after halftime? I know he did his best to play on it gallantly & I'm not criticizing his effort at all BTW.

Full disclose here: As heartbreaking as it was to lose that SB, I was glad we lost to a man like Drew. It made the outcome a little easier to swallow.

Oh gosh, that is soooo true! I think I was so surprised about the onside kick at halftime that I forgot about Freeney being out. He made a huge impact.

It's the offseason and I thought I'd come up with something interesting. Feel free to share your what ifs. Here's mine:

the Colts would have lost and Peyton Manning would be looked at as Dan Marnio 2.0

What if the Colts history, name, and colors, stayed in Baltimore?

I hear ya on this one, buccolts. Thank God, Irsay chose Indianapolis! I cannot imagine another city worthy to have inherited all of the above. I've stated before in other threads that I would've followed the Colts anywhere. However, the great state of Indiana, beautiful city of Indianapolis, and it's fantastic citizens have made the Colts' organization something to be extremely proud of over the last 31 years.

So grateful and appreciative (and lucky : my age) to have witnessed my Colts in both Baltimore and Indianapolis! Proud. Very proud.

I hear ya on this one, buccolts. Thank God, Irsay chose Indianapolis! I cannot imagine another city worthy to have inherited all of the above. I've stated before in other threads that I would've followed the Colts anywhere. However, the great state of Indiana, beautiful city of Indianapolis, and it's fantastic citizens have made the Colts' organization something to be extremely proud of over the last 31 years.

So grateful and appreciative (and lucky : my age) to have witnessed my Colts in both Baltimore and Indianapolis! Proud. Very proud.

The Colts really turned the city around IMO.

They compliment each other perfectly.

What if Peyton would have learned to effectively use his RBs to dump the ball to or use for screen plays.  IMO for a guy as smart as Peyton, he has never been comfortable or effective at checking down to a relatively uncovered running back.  Just seems the teams that have won multiple Super Bowls had QBs who knew when to gamble and try to force something or knew when to just check down and let the RB make some positive yards.  IMHO the Colts would have won at least a couple more Super Bowls.   

What if Peyton would have learned to effectively use his RBs to dump the ball to or use for screen plays.  IMO for a guy as smart as Peyton, he has never been comfortable or effective at checking down to a relatively uncovered running back.  Just seems the teams that have won multiple Super Bowls had QBs who knew when to gamble and try to force something or knew when to just check down and let the RB make some positive yards.  IMHO the Colts would have won at least a couple more Super Bowls.   

How did Edge catch over 350 passes in less than 7 seasons if Peyton didn't know how to use the dump off?

How did Edge catch over 350 passes in less than 7 seasons if Peyton didn't know how to use the dump off?

And Addai with 191 in 6 years

CJ Anderson 34 passes last year in 7 starts

Dominic Rhodes 45 passes in 2008 3 TD's

Point is....Exactly!