Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe cheated

BloodyChamp

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25208613/joe-montana-49ers-ol-sprayed-silicone-on-jerseys-until-they-got-caught

Read the article first. If you can ignore the sportswriter's desperate will to not call every scandal in recent memory cheating, it's an interesting article.

Joe says they did it until they got caught which makes it a string of violations (that every team has at some point in history) more than a full fledged scandal like...well you know. He then *kind of* slams Brady. Not a bodyslam...but yeah.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a difficult time imagining the advantage to that.

I could see it for the DL, but the OL?

I suppose both sides grab, to an extent, but.......?

A big part of the fight that goes on in the trenches is being able to get your hands on the opponent.  Once you get your hands on him, you can push and pull him wherever you like.  You also want to attack inside (ie. attack the numbers on the player's jersey) to give you the advantage.  Putting on silicone makes it harder for the opponent to grab you.

It's an interesting thing to think about.  Obviously, their teams were talented.  But with Jerry Rice saying he used Stickum and Montana saying this, it makes you wonder how much of an advantage they received.

It also makes me wonder why Montana would even come out and say this.  What's the point?  What do you gain?

A big part of the fight that goes on in the trenches is being able to get your hands on the opponent.  Once you get your hands on him, you can push and pull him wherever you like.  You also want to attack inside (ie. attack the numbers on the player's jersey) to give you the advantage.  Putting on silicone makes it harder for the opponent to grab you.

It's an interesting thing to think about.  Obviously, their teams were talented.  But with Jerry Rice saying he used Stickum and Montana saying this, it makes you wonder how much of an advantage they received.

It also makes me wonder why Montana would even come out and say this.  What's the point?  What do you gain?

Think he was offering some friendly advice to Brady. You did it. You got caught. Pay up. And, quit trying to hide it. From one cheat to another? Sure looks that way to me.

Think he was offering some friendly advice to Brady. You did it. You got caught. Pay up. And, quit trying to hide it. From one cheat to another? Sure looks that way to me.

"From one cheat to another ? "  Montana is a cheat because his teammates cheated ?

"From one cheat to another ? "  Montana is a cheat because his teammates cheated ?

So, Montana didn't cheat. He just squealed on his teammates. I included a question mark after the sentence, dw49. And, added that it looked that way to me. I haven't said one way or the other for sure. Judging from Montana's comments, it doesn't look good.

What Tom Brady and the Patriots did collectively is much worse than any form of sticky glue, silicone, whatever. When you manipulate a FOOTBALL, there's nothing more important than that, because it's capable of passing through the hands of various Patriot players across all the offense's positions. Most importantly, it's much easier to protect against fumbles with a deflated ball. To me, deflate-gate benefited the run game more than anything, and evidence has shown the Patriots led the league in fumble avoidance by a wide margin. It will be interesting to see New England's fumbles next season, now that the league has its eyes on them.

Here is the actual full interview, http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8508880-74/montana-fan-fame#ixzz3cU8tMpoa%20

I am glad Montana came out here and talked about his team cheating ... more than once. And the fact that he would have also had his footballs deflated if he felt it would have helped him throw the ball better. The amount of hoopla over this thing has been over the top ridiculous with perspective and consistently sorely lacking. As I have said multiple times up here, it is fine if you want to judge the Pats harshly for this or spygate but just make sure you do that with all the other teams as well.

Interesting.  I wonder what other stories will surface?  

As far as his comments on Deflategate, my take is Joe was saying he thought Tom was guilty, didn't think it was a big deal, and that he also thought it would behoove Brady to accept his punishment and move on.

I find it hard to believe that no profession team doesnt do something to bend the rules to gain a competitive advantage or even college team for that matter. you just never hear about it til they get caught or til someone whistle blows

Here is the actual full interview, http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8508880-74/montana-fan-fame#ixzz3cU8tMpoa%20

I am glad Montana came out here and talked about his team cheating ... more than once. And the fact that he would have also had his footballs deflated if he felt it would have helped him throw the ball better. The amount of hoopla over this thing has been over the top ridiculous with perspective and consistently sorely lacking. As I have said multiple times up here, it is fine if you want to judge the Pats harshly for this or spygate but just make sure you do that with all the other teams as well.

It's called cheating. I don't know why it's so hard to get through your head? Doesn't matter how small or large, unfair advantage over the team you are playing. Plain and simple really!

I guess you missed the part where he said admit you did it and move on

It's called cheating. I don't know why it's so hard to get through your head? Doesn't matter how small or large, unfair advantage over the team you are playing. Plain and simple really!

I hear you 100%.  But lets call a "cheat" a "cheat." 

Now that we have CLEAR ADMITTED evidence that the 49ers cheated TWICE, like you all like to claim about the two time Pats cheaters in Spygate and Deflategate.  Are you ready to place *s next to the 49ers 4 Lombardi's with Montana and call him Joe Montana* from now on? 

I hear you 100%.  But lets call a "cheat" a "cheat." 

Now that we have CLEAR ADMITTED evidence that the 49ers cheated TWICE, like you all like to claim about the two time Pats cheaters in Spygate and Deflategate.  Are you ready to place *s next to the 49ers 4 Lombardi's with Montana and call him Joe Montana* from now on? 

Sure why not?

I hear you 100%. But lets call a "cheat" a "cheat."

Now that we have CLEAR ADMITTED evidence that the 49ers cheated TWICE, like you all like to claim about the two time Pats cheaters in Spygate and Deflategate. Are you ready to place *s next to the 49ers 4 Lombardi's with Montana and call him Joe Montana* from now on?

Are you ready to admit the pats cheated?

You know aside from the obvious here with this article, I have to say I have always admired Montana. He has always been a guy that has been very candid with his career and who he is and the reasons for his success. I remember a few years ago he was asked if Marino had played for his niners and he played for the Dolphins how their careers would have turned out and he said, "Dan would probably have 4 rings and I would have zero."  :)

Are you ready to admit the pats cheated?

I don't care what label you put on it so long as you are consistent, that is all I seek.   Marty McSorley "cheated" when he used an illegal stick in the 1993 Stanley Cup Final against Montreal.  He just got a 2 minute penalty.  But the team did not loose a 1st round draft pick.    The NHL's official position on the matter is that it was done "Because its the Cup"

So whatever you want to label McSorley's act label Brady's act and I will do the same from my end.   And btw that play is just as famous as to what McSorley did as the Canadiens calling him out at that time in the series, down 1-0 in games and 2-1 with only a few minutes in game 2.  Some where mad at the Canadiens for getting a "cheap" two minute penalty at that point in the game.  But an illegal stick is an illegal stick and is what a player uses to play the game, but some sports aren't as concern about illegal equipment as you folks are with the Pats.  (which again btw no one care about prior to Brady's "you gotta know the rules comments).

I got no problem with labeling Brady a cheater (assuming he was involved), but at the same time if I do, then my list of cheaters incorporates many teams and players in professional sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1yT0poyys

I hear you 100%. But lets call a "cheat" a "cheat."

Now that we have CLEAR ADMITTED evidence that the 49ers cheated TWICE, like you all like to claim about the two time Pats cheaters in Spygate and Deflategate. Are you ready to place *s next to the 49ers 4 Lombardi's with Montana and call him Joe Montana* from now on?

Yes.

Patriots*. <---won't let me attach asterisk, lol

49ers*

I don't care what label you put on it so long as you are consistent, that is all I seek.   Marty McSorley "cheated" when he used an illegal stick in the 1993 Stanley Cup Final against Montreal.  He just got a 2 minute penalty.  But the team did not loose a 1st round draft pick.    The NHL's official position on the matter is that it was done "Because its the Cup"

So whatever you want to label McSorley's act label Brady's act and I will do the same from my end.   And btw that play is just as famous as to what McSorley did as the Canadiens calling him out at that time in the series, down 1-0 in games and 2-1 with only a few minutes in game 2.  Some where mad at the Canadiens for getting a "cheap" two minute penalty at that point in the game.  But an illegal stick is an illegal stick and is what a player uses to play the game, but some sports aren't as concern about illegal equipment as you folks are with the Pats.  (which again btw no one care about prior to Brady's "you gotta know the rules comments).

I got no problem with labeling Brady a cheater (assuming he was involved), but at the same time if I do, then my list of cheaters incorporates many teams and players in professional sports.

I have some questions for you then...

Do you believe in an even playing field? Should the cheating be allowed? Should teams that are caught cheating, sometimes more then once, be slapped with small fines or slaps on the hand? Warnings?

I believe that if you are caught cheating, you should receive a stiff penalty not only as punishment but to dissuade other teams/players from cheating as well. If caught twice, bigger punishment.

What Tom Brady and the Patriots did collectively is much worse than any form of sticky glue, silicone, whatever. When you manipulate a FOOTBALL, there's nothing more important than that, because it's capable of passing through the hands of various Patriot players across all the offense's positions. Most importantly, it's much easier to protect against fumbles with a deflated ball. To me, deflate-gate benefited the run game more than anything, and evidence has shown the Patriots led the league in fumble avoidance by a wide margin. It will be interesting to see New England's fumbles next season, now that the league has its eyes on them.

I think 'stickum' probably prevents more fumbles than .3 PSI of air pressure. I'm also guessing Montanna probably had a pretty good idea Rice was using it when the ball he was handling on every play was covered in it. 

This stuff has gone on forever. Belichick's personality to the media and the internet are the 2 biggest reasons that fans everywhere else get into irrational histrionics over minor, routine infractions committed by the Pats. If Bill Parcells were coaching the Pats through this era and they were caught doing the same exact stuff, I'll bet there is nothing even remotely close to what's going on now. Parcells would have held a press conference, cracked a few jokes about the good old days, reminisced with the NY Media about Lawrence Taylor and the 80's Giants, and this whole thing would have been viewed 100% differently.

I remember a few years ago he was asked if Marino had played for his niners and he played for the Dolphins how their careers would have turned out and he said, "Dan would probably have 4 rings and I would have zero."  :)

Do you agree with Montana?.

While I don't doubt for a minute that there have been multiple infractions over the years, it is still no reason to excuse someone for breaking the rules.

Times have changed, rules have changed, in every aspect of our lives ~ a lot of things have changed. Some call it progress. :dunno:

Bottom line, when you get CAUGHT, you pay the price. Don't wanna get caught~then don't do it.

I think 'stickum' probably prevents more fumbles than .3 PSI of air pressure. I'm also guessing Montanna probably had a pretty good idea Rice was using it when the ball he was handling on every play was covered in it. 

This stuff has gone on forever. Belichick's personality to the media and the internet are the 2 biggest reasons that fans everywhere else get into irrational histrionics over minor, routine infractions committed by the Pats. If Bill Parcells were coaching the Pats through this era and they were caught doing the same exact stuff, I'll bet there is nothing even remotely close to what's going on now. Parcells would have held a press conference, cracked a few jokes about the good old days, reminisced with the NY Media about Lawrence Taylor and the 80's Giants, and this whole thing would have been viewed 100% differently.

Nice.

Its all because of Belichick with the media. Brilliant.

LOL....I remember the McSorley incident well. And McSorley's "stick" problems didn't end there either, which Donald Brashear can attest to.

You're right though....there have been cheaters or "competitively edgy" players across the board....with THIS being, IMO, the most memorable and by far the most entertaining of them all. The best part being that it got handled on the field during the game and indeed decided the game.

My apologies to Yankee-haters.....

And note announcer Frank Messer's comments as the video ends.

Nice.

Its all because of Belichick with the media. Brilliant.

Yes...that's my opinion. Want proof? How do fans in general view A-Rod? Now, how do fans in general view David Ortiz? Both guilty of the same thing, one is an arrogant *, one is friendly "Big Papi". And at the end of the day, A-Rod will probably be denied the Hall of Fame while Big Papi has a legit shot of becoming the first DH to get into the hall of fame.

You are in complete denial if you don't think that the media plays a MAJOR role in how scandals are either way over-blown or swept under the rug. Bill ran afoul of the New York media on the day he left the Jets, and they have been leading the pitchfork and torch brigade ever since then.

Yes...that's my opinion. Want proof? How do fans in general view A-Rod? Now, how do fans in general view David Ortiz? Both guilty of the same thing, one is an arrogant *, one is friendly "Big Papi". And at the end of the day, A-Rod will probably be denied the Hall of Fame while Big Papi has a legit shot of becoming the first DH to get into the hall of fame.

You are in complete denial if you don't think that the media plays a MAJOR role in how scandals are either way over-blown or swept under the rug. Bill ran afoul of the New York media on the day he left the Jets, and they have been leading the pitchfork and torch brigade ever since then.

Ortiz isn't going to the hall. He is a juicing DH.

So, let me rephrase of your opinion.

"You can do whatever you want but be nice to the media, everything will be alright?".

So, Montana didn't cheat. He just squealed on his teammates. I included a question mark after the sentence, dw49. And, added that it looked that way to me. I haven't said one way or the other for sure. Judging from Montana's comments, it doesn't look good.

I would call him more of a butt head than a cheat. 

So, let me rephrase of your opinion.

"You can do whatever you want but be nice to the media, everything will be alright?".

Not "whatever"...Ray Rice might have been the nicest guy on earth to the media for all I know. But when a horrific video emerges of him dropping a woman with one punch, then all bets are off for him.

We're dealing in the realm of far less serious issues here, such as who took steroids or how much air came out of a football. These stories can be spun considerably by the media depending on the agenda involved. And the fact is that if you are 'media friendly', you will be protected...if not, your carcass will be left clean by the side of the road.

While I don't doubt for a minute that there have been multiple infractions over the years, it is still no reason to excuse someone for breaking the rules.

Times have changed, rules have changed, in every aspect of our lives ~ a lot of things have changed. Some call it progress. :dunno:

Bottom line, when you get CAUGHT, you pay the price. Don't wanna get caught~then don't do it.

I really can't believe this has gone full cycle and we are back to this. Sneaking footballs into a bathroom and stabbing them after they have been inspected is not the same a WR's using stick-um.