Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schefter saying NFL asked Pats to suspend McNally, Jastremski

ColtsBlueFL

I heard it on Mike & Mike. Adam Schefter bringing it back up to a talking point. That NFL requested the suspensions of McNally and Jastremski. I checked around and sure enough saw this article-

http://nesn.com/2015/05/report-nfl-asked-patriots-to-suspend-employees-before-disciplining-team/

Inside the reference statements from another article.  I found that article and it is here-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/nfl-statement-on-deflategate-discipline/

This is the line referenced-

"Patriots owner Robert Kraft advised Commissioner Roger Goodell last week that Patriots employees John Jastremski and James McNally have been indefinitely suspended without pay by the club, effective on May 6th. Neither of these individuals may be reinstated without the prior approval of NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent. If they are reinstated by the Patriots, Jastremski is prohibited from having any role in the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs to be used in NFL games during the 2015 season. McNally is barred from serving as a locker room attendant for the game officials, or having any involvement with the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs or any other equipment on game day."

I thought we had that discussion in another thread and someone presented evidence the NFL Did_Not_Ask the Patriots to suspended McNally and Jastremski, but Patriots did that one their own?

Anyway, be prepared for more on this, but M&M bring up another great point,- if you feel you were 100% in the right, why would you follow orders to suspend two employees that had done nothing wrong?

I heard it on Mike & Mike. Adam Schefter bringing it back up to a talking point. That NFL requested the suspensions of McNally and Jastremski. I checked around and sure enough saw this article-

http://nesn.com/2015/05/report-nfl-asked-patriots-to-suspend-employees-before-disciplining-team/

Inside the reference statements from another article. I found that article and it is here-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/nfl-statement-on-deflategate-discipline/

"Patriots owner Robert Kraft advised Commissioner Roger Goodell last week that Patriots employees John Jastremski and James McNally have been indefinitely suspended without pay by the club, effective on May 6th. Neither of these individuals may be reinstated without the prior approval of NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent. If they are reinstated by the Patriots, Jastremski is prohibited from having any role in the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs to be used in NFL games during the 2015 season. McNally is barred from serving as a locker room attendant for the game officials, or having any involvement with the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs or any other equipment on game day."

I thought we had that discussion in another thread and someone presented evidence the NFL Did_Not_Ask the Patriots to suspended McNally and Jastremski, but Patriots did that one their own?

Anyway, be prepared for more on this, but M&M bring up another great point,- if you feel you were 100% in the right, why would you follow orders to suspend two employees that had done nothing wrong?

I too heard Mike & Mike talking about it. I don't believe any of it. If the NFL had asked the Pats to suspend these guys, they would have mentioned it in their rebuttal. They would have said something like, "Although our employees did nothing wrong or illegal, we suspended Jastremski and McNally at the request of the NFL."

I left home before Mike and Mike's interview with Peter King. Did you hear it and what did he say? Earlier in the morning, Mike and Mike reported that Peter King had been asked (before this latest report) why the Pats suspended those guys. Like Michelle Steele, Peter King speculated that it was a preemptive measure by the Pats. I am interested to hear whether he is buying the latest report that it was the NFL's decision.

Inside the reference statements from another article. I found that article and it is here-

It doesn't say the NFL asked them to suspend them. Our says Kraft advised the commissioner that they were suspended

If true it does not speak well of the Patriots organization. They are willing to fight for their star Qb, but their two equipment employees? Those guys are not worth lifting a finger for, very arrogant/elitist if true.

So the only source for this report is Schefter's league source. I have some questions.

Why would the NFL ask the Patriots to suspend those two individuals in advance? What good does it do to suspend a game day only employee and an equipment manager during the doldrums of the offseason? What good does it do to have the team suspend them five days sooner than the league's discipline will be administered? If the NFL had asked the Patriots to suspend Tom Brady, would they have obliged?

I don't think I buy this. But even if it did happen, why offer those two up as sacrificial lambs when you don't think they did anything wrong?

So the only source for this report is Schefter's league source. I have some questions.

Why would the NFL ask the Patriots to suspend those two individuals in advance? What good does it do to suspend a game day only employee and an equipment manager during the doldrums of the offseason? What good does it do to have the team suspend them five days sooner than the league's discipline will be administered? If the NFL had asked the Patriots to suspend Tom Brady, would they have obliged?

I don't think I buy this. But even if it did happen, why offer those two up as sacrificial lambs when you don't think they did anything wrong?

Exactly!  Why is Schefty even bringing this back up?  I am almost certain that one of our members posted an article where Vincent or some NFL official denied the league had requested the suspensions of McNally and Jastremski. The good thing, Greeny and Golic weren't buying in to it, not one iota. 

If true it does not speak well of the Patriots organization. They are willing to fight for their star Qb, but their two equipment employees? Those guys are not worth lifting a finger for, very arrogant/elitist if true.

Dang straight!   Hey, lets suspend the two ball boys as a preemptive sacrifice to lessen any punishment for Brady, if the league feels compelled to do so.  Sheesh.

I too heard Mike & Mike talking about it. I don't believe any of it. If the NFL had asked the Pats to suspend these guys, they would have mentioned it in their rebuttal. They would have said something like, "Although our employees did nothing wrong or illegal, we suspended Jastremski and McNally at the request of the NFL."

I left home before Mike and Mike's interview with Peter King. Did you hear it and what did he say? Earlier in the morning, Mike and Mike reported that Peter King had been asked (before this latest report) why the Pats suspended those guys. Like Michelle Steele, Peter King speculated that it was a preemptive measure by the Pats. I am interested to hear whether he is buying the latest report that it was the NFL's decision.

I too missed the King interview.  I think I found ESPN radio toward the end (in my car).  The Only thing I got out of King was that he's not sure Kraft will pursue the NFL in the court system going forward.  And the sound in his voice tone let's me believe that as much as he wants the Pats to be free and clear, that in all of this there is some 'there' there.  So extravagant pom-pom waving will be educed from Peter it seems.

I'll see if he has a new MMQB article out today.

I think that's the problem everyone has with this.  The Pats claim they've done nothing wrong.  If that's true, then why would you suspend 2 guys indefinitely?  The Pats claim the league asked them to.  But if they've done nothing wrong, why suspend them?  More illogical attempts at covering their tracks by the Patriots.

This report has since been denied by the NFL.

Adam Schefter doesn't back down. Says he went back to his league source, and they continue to confirm it was the league that asked Kraft to Suspend them.  He went on NFL Live and mentioned it once more. So Adam vs. Roger on this one.

Schefter is so worried about being the first one to break what he thinks is a story sometimes he goes over board. The two equipment men are fired. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or both show up somewhere selling what they know. If Kraft fired them and expected them to keep quite he would have had to have made it worth it. Money or another position of employment in one of his businesses IMO only. The real story would be the first media person to get an interview with one of them. If these guys were fired because of Brady sooner or later one of them will want to get paid if they are not already.

Roger Goodell: "The NFL did not ask the Patriots to suspend locker room assistants."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/20/deflategate-roger-goodell-patriots-jim-mcnally-suspended

Wasn't Schefter also the one that reported that "the only Patriots football that was under-inflated was the one in the possession of the Colts"?

Wasn't Schefter one of people fueling the speculation that the Colts were setting the Patriots up, or framing them somehow by deflating that one football?

It seems like Schefter's "source" is someone inside the NE organization, or he is full of crap. Possibly both.

Isn't it strange that not one "pat fan" wants to comment on this issue of Kraft firing what would be two innocent employees according to his own remarks and claims. How "convienent" to stay away from this one.

Isn't it strange that not one "pat fan" wants to comment on this issue of Kraft firing what would be two innocent employees according to his own remarks and claims. How "convienent" to stay away from this one.

That's because Jastremski was fired for giving McNally shoes, and McNally was fired for losing weight. Haven't you been following along? 

Pats:  :nose:  :nose:

Rest of the World:  :puhleeze:

Adam Schefter doesn't back down. Says he went back to his league source, and they continue to confirm it was the league that asked Kraft to Suspend them.  He went on NFL Live and mentioned it once more. So Adam vs. Roger on this one.

It's Adam vs common sense, IMO. The idea that the league would ask the Patriots to preemptively suspend their employees doesn't add up. 

From the way it reads, looks like they did it on their own.

That's because Jastremski was fired for giving McNally shoes, and McNally was fired for losing weight. Haven't you been following along? 

Pats:  :nose:  :nose:

Rest of the World:  :puhleeze:

Yeah... I forgot about that. I'm too old to keep up with all the lies. 

Roger Goodell: "The NFL did not ask the Patriots to suspend locker room assistants."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/20/deflategate-roger-goodell-patriots-jim-mcnally-suspended

Wasn't Schefter also the one that reported that "the only Patriots football that was under-inflated was the one in the possession of the Colts"?

Wasn't Schefter one of people fueling the speculation that the Colts were setting the Patriots up, or framing them somehow by deflating that one football?

It seems like Schefter's "source" is someone inside the NE organization, or he is full of crap. Possibly both.

Aren't they one and the same??

It's Adam vs common sense, IMO. The idea that the league would ask the Patriots to preemptively suspend their employees doesn't add up. 

Well, they might have asked the same day, just before ESPN leaked the Wells report was out.  I'm not saying Schefty is right, but Schefter, is an insider's insider, and to be wrong on this story would be somewhat unusual, given that his credibility is still impeccable and his sources are almost always proven to be correct. That he would be completely off-base, especially when he credited a "league source in New York" (the home of the league office), would seem somewhat hard to believe. Especially since he is sticking with him, and his story.  He must get some good juicy tidbits from this source that have proven true time after time.  Just sayin....  Nothing else makes much sense.

This.

From the moment I heard this story it did not come close to passing the smell test - or logic test.  My thoughts were not about its truth because I did not and still don't buy it but more about what is Schefter's responsibilty - the whole be first or be right issue.  It seems to me a step back to determine this makes zero sense was in order.  Maybe get a 2nd source before airing it. 

Well, they might have asked the same day, just before ESPN leaked the Wells report was out. I'm not saying Schefty is right, but Schefter, is an insider's insider, and to be wrong on this story would be somewhat unusual, given that his credibility is still impeccable and his sources are almost always proven to be correct. That he would be completely off-base, especially when he credited a "league source in New York" (the home of the league office), would seem somewhat hard to believe. Especially since he is sticking with him, and his story. He must get some good juicy tidbits from this source that have proven true time after time. Just sayin.... Nothing else makes much sense.

Schefter has been wrong in the past. He is better than most though

Schefter has been wrong in the past. He is better than most though

True, on both counts.  But I've never seen him stick to a story even against rebuttals, and was later found wrong anyway.  This might be the time (that I know of), or we may never truly know.

Well, they might have asked the same day, just before ESPN leaked the Wells report was out.  I'm not saying Schefty is right, but Schefter, is an insider's insider, and to be wrong on this story would be somewhat unusual, given that his credibility is still impeccable and his sources are almost always proven to be correct. That he would be completely off-base, especially when he credited a "league source in New York" (the home of the league office), would seem somewhat hard to believe. Especially since he is sticking with him, and his story.  He must get some good juicy tidbits from this source that have proven true time after time.  Just sayin....  Nothing else makes much sense.

I don't think as highly of Schefter as you seem to. I think he gets details wrong all the time, and from time to time, what he reports just isn't true at all (he was dead wrong on Sam Bradford's knee injury, for instance). And he never comes back and says 'yeah, I/my source was wrong.' 

And maybe he's just passing on what he's been told, which isn't his fault, but it certainly doesn't make me want to take him at his word with no reason to doubt the accuracy of what he's saying. It's like a good stock market guy. It's good to pay attention to what he says, but you need to do your own research before you pull the trigger.

In this case, his source info has been directly refuted by the NFL twice, including a definitive statement by the commissioner. And not only that, the idea didn't make sense to begin with. 

If this is the case, why over the past several weeks have the Patriots not flat out said so?

1: Because the NFL didn't tell the Patriots to suspend either of them. The Pats did it themselves.

2: If the Pats did claim the NFL made them suspend both men, it would be another blatant lie and make them look even worse in the court of public opinion outside New England. If that's even possible.

3: It would * the NFL off even more with false accusations against them. As dumb and arrogant as NE has acted,  even they wouldn't point a finger at the NFL when the NFL knows they didn't order them to do something in the first place. That's like blaming the judge in a courtroom for handing out a court order when the judge never did.

As desperate as the Pats are for positive press, all they can continue to do is damage control and backpedal. They've spun so many lies they can't even get their story straight...they'd be beyond stupid to make a false claim against the NFL right now.

True, on both counts. But I've never seen him stick to a story even against rebuttals, and was later found wrong anyway. This might be the time (that I know of), or we may never truly know.

also consider the fact the pats haven't said anything publicly regarding the issue

That's America for ya! Suspend the poor workers, meanwhile pampered rich baby gets a 4 game suspension and is enjoying himself on a yacht somewhere. Always the worker's fault, never the rich guy. 

These guys aren't rich like Tom Brady and being suspended without pay is totally going to hurt them. Meanwhile all he has to worry about is ring size. Yeah, who doesn't wish the most they had to worry about was how big a stupid ring is? 

That's America for ya! Suspend the poor workers, meanwhile pampered rich baby gets a 4 game suspension and is enjoying himself on a yacht somewhere. Always the worker's fault, never the rich guy. 

These guys aren't rich like Tom Brady and being suspended without pay is totally going to hurt them. Meanwhile all he has to worry about is ring size. Yeah, who doesn't wish the most they had to worry about was how big a stupid ring is? 

No, no, no.

Suspend the people who did something wrong. And if they're easy to replace, then that influences their market; should have been pro QBs. Neither of these two guys are innocent bystanders. They're both rule breakers.

And before you throw off your pH balance by shedding tears for them, McNally in particular, don't forget that he's a part time, game day employee. He has a regular, full time job. 

Goodell should have taken everything Brady earned and sent him to live on a remote island by himself.