Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeflateGate: Brady suspension expected (mega merge / updated)

HtownColt

Goodell is not the one who will give out the penalty. That privilege goes to Vincent Jackson I think. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere.

It would have been if this was a simple "we think you cheated" "yea, I cheated, sorry"   But obstructing the investigation and the mountain of circumstantial evidence with text messages make this very complicated.

Edited by 21isSuperman

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yee has been very pointed in his interviews and has ripped the report up and down. They had a lawyer here given his take on what recourse Brady can take but I would think he would bring in the PA and go from there ... it is hard to read. But I don't think this is going away any time soon ...

You really are delusional AM. He's going to be suspended ...appeal and then serve it out. It's only some low IQ Bostonians and ESPN talking heads that blame the Colts and the Wells investigation. Unless you think maybe Tom sending daddy out there will change sentiment ? 

Yeah. lots of venom. They feel the report was written in such a way to paint the picture the league wanted which is probably true as obviously the league wanted this to come out the way it did ... but man they might be messing with the wrong player on this one ... if nothing else it will be entertaining ...

You honestly need to stop with this utter nonsense. Why in God's name would the league want Wells to frame Tom Brady ? I'm 65 years old and I have never seen such ignorance as I'm now seeing coming from Brady , his lawyer , his daddy and Kraft. You must be trying to just annoy people as you really can't be serious .

The Patriots are allowing this to overshadow even spygate. At least last time they shut up, and allowed the tapes to be destroyed.

Drawing lines in the sand, is asking the league to pick between the NFL to look bad or Tom Brady and the Patriots to look bad. The league will choose the league. That's why I don't understand Tom allowing his agent to take on the whole NFL and their process.

This is gonna be harsh. The Patriots worrying about 6-8 games for Brady should be the last of their worries. It's gonna be much more harsh than that. The team will pay, too.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out and what the punishment is for the Patriots.  Too soft, and Goodell makes ever owner besides Kraft very angry.  Too harsh and the Patriots will probably fight very strongly for an appeal.  This is going to be a big decision by Goodell, it really could make or break him and he knows it.  Personally I think he needs to find a middle ground.  I think what Shannon Sharpe said was fair.  $1 million fine, and suspend Brady for 2 to 4 games.  If Brady/Patriots appeal that, they really need to get over themselves and if the other owners get upset, they need to settle down.  

jeff van gundy trashed wells report

@stoolpresidente Jeff Van Gundy helping educate * on deflategate pic.twitter.com/B9QhVM0At8

— ZZZ (@ZZZ__1034)

May 9, 2015

if any of you read the wells report from start to finish, you will know

1. it's a speculative report

2. it's a speculative report

3. it's nothing but a speculative report

if i'm brady, i would sue NFL and don't back down.  

2 games would be really disappointing, in my opinion.  Sean Payton got suspended for a full season and he didn't have anything to do with the bounties.  I certainly don't expect a full season suspension, but I think 4 games at the very least.

He should be gone a year anything less than that is crap and a slap on the wrist.

Peyton Manning ——

"Like I said, I'll speak it as clearly and slowly as I can. He's my friend, he'll always be my friend," Manning told reporters before a fundraiser for the Indianapolis children's hospital named in his honor. "I don't know what happened, I don't have much more than that for you."

What a great thing to say.

jeff van gundy trashed wells report

https://twitter.com/ZZZ__1034/status/596856935363780608

if any of you read the wells report from start to finish, you will know

1. it's a speculative report

2. it's a speculative report

3. it's nothing but a speculative report

if i'm brady, i would sue NFL and don't back down.

People are so hung up on the "more probable than not" part.

It doesn't matter if that's said or not. Goodell can read the report just like anybody else. If he feels like Brady cheated then he will suspend him.

Huh...it sounds like the Commish thinks Brady cheated. It would be odd if the league announced a suspension coming if they didn't read the whole report. So people can disagree with the conclusion of "more probable than not" all they want. If the league believes he's guilty based on the evidence gathered, then that's all that matters. Just ask Sean Payton.

The fact that he gave the 50,000 yard record gameball to "JJ" and then lied to the NFL HOF about giving it the gameball; not sure how big a deal this is to the NFL and I might be blowing it out of proportion; but to me this shows recklessness and no integrity for the game. I think he should be suspended for the year. But being its Ole' Timmy boy.... He'll get a 4-8 game suspension and have the chance to appeal it.

You honestly need to stop with this utter nonsense. Why in God's name would the league want Wells to frame Tom Brady ? I'm 65 years old and I have never seen such ignorance as I'm now seeing coming from Brady , his lawyer , his daddy and Kraft. You must be trying to just annoy people as you really can't be serious .

many reasons -

1. any kind of controversy is good for the ratings.  News broke in the playoffs - record breaking SB ratings.

2. pats' past reputation of cheating created many skeptics

3. pats going to 6SBs in past 14 seasons created many enemies

4. most non patriot fans hate brady. he is an easy guy to hate as a fan point of view

wells was hired to contaminate pats and brady.  if this was done by carson palmer in arizona, this is a non-issue.   alex smith in KC?  non-issue.  because brady did it this became the biggest news. 

It doesn't matter if that's said or not. Goodell can read the report just like anybody else. If he feels like Brady cheated then he will suspend him.

Huh...it sounds like the Commish thinks Brady cheated. It would be odd if the league announced a suspension coming if they didn't read the whole report. So people can disagree with the conclusion of "more probable than not" all they want. If the league believes he's guilty based on the evidence gathered, then that's all that matters. Just ask Sean Payton.

that's the thing. commish has too much power.    i can't fire my employee just because i 'think' he sucks.  i gotta have a legitmate reason.

I've been following all this noise from the sidelines, and have a couple reactions (just hunches/opinions):

1. I find myself wondering if all the speculative language is intentional by the league to give the Pats ammo to accept the punishment(s), but save face by posturing after. The league needs the Pats, and needs this to blow over as quickly as possible.

2. I struggle to buy into the idea that the SB win, or any further success, for that matter, does anything to salvage any reputations. This is just creating a gnawing sense (in me) that the Pats have been caught on 2 smallish things, but it's starting to feel like a tip of an iceberg... Like this organization has been employing all kinds of shady tactics, and we only know about the cameras and needles.

No evidence. No sources. Just growing, uncomfortable impressions.

I'm sorry, but to me, Kraft and Belichick new about this the whole time. You don't own a billion dollar company and not know what's going on. Or be a HOF coach and not know what is going on. They probably told him "if you get caught, your on your own." Now the question is, what are 2 of the NFL'season most recognized names going to do about it? If you put yourself in their shoes and that you just found out that your HOF quarterback has been cheating, what should the two main leaders do about it? Just my 2 cents...

I'm sorry, but to me, Kraft and Belichick new about this the whole time. You don't own a billion dollar company and not know what's going on. Or be a HOF coach and not know what is going on. They probably told him "if you get caught, your on your own." Now the question is, what are 2 of the NFL'season most recognized names going to do about it? If you put yourself in their shoes and that you just found out that your HOF quarterback has been cheating, what should the two main leaders do about it? Just my 2 cents...

Kraft likely had nothing whatsoever to do with this. Such a thing is well below his station, and there would not only be no need to let him in on it, rather, it would be a liability to their brand to let him know of this. 

'Plausible denial' has limitations, and conspiracies like this typically have a stop-gap measure to prevent blame from being bale to reach the top. In this case, I believe the scheme stopped at Belichick, who was most certainly involved IMO. 

many reasons -

1. any kind of controversy is good for the ratings.  News broke in the playoffs - record breaking SB ratings.

4. most non patriot fans hate brady. he is an easy guy to hate as a fan point of view

wells was hired to contaminate pats and brady.  if this was done by carson palmer in arizona, this is a non-issue.   alex smith in KC?  non-issue.  because brady did it this became the biggest news. 

one word for ^ ...silly

Kraft likely had nothing whatsoever to do with this. Such a thing is well below his station, and there would not only be no need to let him in on it, rather, it would be a liability to their brand to let him know of this. 

'Plausible denial' has limitations, and conspiracies like this typically have a stop-gap measure to prevent blame from being bale to reach the top. In this case, I believe the scheme stopped at Belichick, who was most certainly involved IMO. 

Kraft facilitates this behavior.   

Belichick is the ring leader.  

Brady is the understudy.  

Kraft knows exactly what BB  and TB are up to.  

No one in the Patriots building can sneeze without BB knowing about it.  

TB is still learning from his master (BB).

many reasons -

You are right about most of those things, but there is a key point you are missing.  Critics and "haters"  didn't hire Wells, Roger Goodell did, the same Roger Goodell who is close friends with your owner Robert Kraft.  While it did get blown up in a ridiculous way by the media, and I fail to believe it would have been this big of story for most other teams, the Wells investigation was done simply to find out if the Patriots were innocent or guilty.  Goodell was pressured by the media and other owners into doing the investigation and getting a definitive answer, no doubt.   But I certainly don't think he was hoping for the Patriots to be guilty.  If anything he was hoping the investigation would point the other day, because it would make his job much easier.  Now he is in a rock in a hard place, trying to find a fair punishment that pleases everyone and doesn't drive the Patriots off the deep end, but still punishes them enough to feel it. 

I agree, people are way too hung up on the "more probable than not" and it's just because there is a tiny freak chance that some of the evidence might not be what it obviously looks like.  But the evidence is strong in this report, very strong.

First, the texts between McNally and Jastremski about deflating the balls with a needle.  McNally says he wants cash, shoes and shirts to come with the needle.  He says there will be an air pump connected to the needle and he will make them rugby balls if they don't deliver.  The texts also reference Brady and state that he needs to use the needle to make the balls the way he wants them.  Wells explains that the "more probable than not" part of the texts, is the fact that they are texting in a joking manner, but believed to be actually involved with what they are talking about.

Then there is the video evidence of McNally taking the balls to the bathroom after the official's inspection and locking the door.  Granted, there is no camera in the bathroom, so there is part of the "more probable than not", but come on, what else would he doing? Also McNally was supposed to take the balls directly to the official's locker room and he did not.  In fact the officials actually couldn't even find the balls until game time and were almost going to use back up balls. Ironically, if McNally did not return those game balls they would have used the properly inflated back up balls and none of this would have happened.  

Also another interesting point on McNally taking the balls in the restroom.  In an interview with McNally, he stated that he used the urinal and dropped the balls to the left of it.  But the rest room he used has no urinal. 

There is also the results from the official's halftime inspection showing all of the Patriot's footballs deflated, some almost 2lbs. under.   

So yeah, there is some pretty strong evidence in this report and I don't see how Goodell wouldn't interpret is as the Patriots being guilty.  

Look I think BB knew. Kraft maybe not. He's an owner and doesn't have that kind of involvement with the team. The very few Owners who do and the ones that do are the ones who meddle and Kraft isn't that kind of owner no matter how much we dislike him.

Like I just said I think BB knew but just because I think that doesn't mean the report backs that up. It cleared him so that's what we have to go on even if we can sit here and go oh come on he knew.

That leaves Brady and the two lockerroom guys. They are the ones the report nailed. They will get the harshest pentalites which will probably include suspensions and I am sure the Pats will find away to have both lockerroom guys leave the team before the season starts.

I think the Pats organization will get a fine for not fully cooperating with the investsgstion and I think BB himself will be unpunished or maybe his punishment will be trying to figure out ways to win football games with Jimmy Garppolo at QB.

The Pats will turn this into us against the world like they did with spygate and you can believe they will have the Colts game circled on their calendar. They will of their best to show no mercy in that game. With that said hopefully their best isn't enough because if the Colts win that game that will be adding insult to injury to the Pats.

This is just creating a gnawing sense (in me) that the Pats have been caught on 2 smallish things, but it's starting to feel like a tip of an iceberg... Like this organization has been employing all kinds of shady tactics, and we only know about the cameras and needles.

Bingo...

I've been following all this noise from the sidelines, and have a couple reactions (just hunches/opinions):

1. I find myself wondering if all the speculative language is intentional by the league to give the Pats ammo to accept the punishment(s), but save face by posturing after. The league needs the Pats, and needs this to blow over as quickly as possible.

2. I struggle to buy into the idea that the SB win, or any further success, for that matter, does anything to salvage any reputations. This is just creating a gnawing sense (in me) that the Pats have been caught on 2 smallish things, but it's starting to feel like a tip of an iceberg... Like this organization has been employing all kinds of shady tactics, and we only know about the cameras and needles.

i remember during the Super Bowl pregame Cris Colkunsworth of all people said the thought the NFL was about to open a can of worms and was going to find some worms.

You are right about most of those things, but there is a key point you are missing.  Critics and "haters"  didn't hire Wells, Roger Goodell did, the same Roger Goodell who is close friends with your owner Robert Kraft.  While it did get blown up in a ridiculous way by the media, and I fail to believe it would have been this big of story for most other teams, the Wells investigation was done simply to find out if the Patriots were innocent or guilty.  Goodell was pressured by the media and other owners into doing the investigation and getting a definitive answer, no doubt.   But I certainly don't think he was hoping for the Patriots to be guilty.  If anything he was hoping the investigation would point the other day, because it would make his job much easier.  Now he is in a rock in a hard place, trying to find a fair punishment that pleases everyone and doesn't drive the Patriots off the deep end, but still punishes them enough to feel it. 

friendships get broken all the time.  i once had a best friend.  i don't even talk to him anymore.     and goodell is a politician.  he can snake out of a good relationship in order to gain or maintain power. 

i'm kinda sick of people are saying 'pats are in bed with nfl'.   if pats were in bed with nfl then none of these non sense would've happened. 

frankly, i really don't care what peyton, brady, rodgers, etc do to their football.  obviously football was inflated enough that refs don't even detect them.  if brady did this for all his career, then it must been such a minor issue that nobody said a darn thing about it for 15 years.  nobody brought this issue up.  brady has thrown plenty of INTs.  no players ever brought this up.

and i personally 'squeeze' tested both 11psi and 12psi ball.  i couldn't even tell a difference,  

this whole thing is a joke to me. 

friendships get broken all the time. i once had a best friend. i don't even talk to him anymore. and goodell is a politician. he can snake out of a good relationship in order to gain or maintain power.

i'm kinda sick of people are saying 'pats are in bed with nfl'. if pats were in bed with nfl then none of these non sense would've happened.

frankly, i really don't care what peyton, brady, rodgers, etc do to their football. obviously football was inflated enough that refs don't even detect them. if brady did this for all his career, then it must been such a minor issue that nobody said a darn thing about it for 15 years. nobody brought this issue up. brady has thrown plenty of INTs. no players ever brought this up.

and i personally 'squeeze' tested both 11psi and 12psi ball. i couldn't even tell a difference,

this whole thing is a joke to me.

If it's not that big of a deal, then why even alter the ball after the officials first check them?

Also if it wasn't such a big deal why not just own up to it like a big boy.

Shady Brady is caught like a little kid with his hand in the cookie jar, still trying to lie hus way out of it...

You're right it is funny the guys integrity is a complete joke...

BWAHAHAHAHA

Look I think BB knew. Kraft maybe not. He's an owner and doesn't have that kind of involvement with the team. The very few Owners who do and the ones that do are the ones who meddle and Kraft isn't that kind of owner no matter how much we dislike him.

Like I just said I think BB knew but just because I think that doesn't mean the report backs that up. It cleared him so that's what we have to go on even if we can sit here and go oh come on he knew.

That leaves Brady and the two lockerroom guys. They are the ones the report nailed. They will get the harshest pentalites which will probably include suspensions and I am sure the Pats will find away to have both lockerroom guys leave the team before the season starts.

I think the Pats organization will get a fine for not fully cooperating with the investsgstion and I think BB himself will be unpunished or maybe his punishment will be trying to figure out ways to win football games with Jimmy Garppolo at QB.

The Pats will turn this into us against the world like they did with spygate and you can believe they will have the Colts game circled on their calendar. They will of their best to show no mercy in that game. With that said hopefully their best isn't enough because if the Colts win that game that will be adding insult to injury to the Pats.

Matt Cassell won 11 with them so don't be too surprised if Garappolo could do the same. Just sayin..

The two locker rooms guys will get a fine on paper but not in reality. The Patriots do not want either one of these guys talking to anyone outside of the Patriots because of what they both know as facts. They both will be paid under the table to act like they are sorry and totally responsible. Brady has already been paying them so more wont mean anything. Add Belichick and Kraft these guys will make out like bandits.

If that's the case, I would think this is the one battle the league will choose too fight. The domestic violence suspensions would pale in comparison. The one way for the league to lose money....let the Patriots off the hook, and essentially let it be known you could care less about a level playing field.

This why Brady should admit guilt and take a lesser punishment, it could then blow over and the Patriots could get back to cheating. I think it's too late for admitting guilt, though. Brady drew his line in the sand when he let his agent go around the media circuit saying the Colts and the NFL are setting up the Patriots. They're making their bed, next week they will have to "lie" in it.

Brady and his team have a strong case with the holes in that report. Just depends how far they want to take it. They could go as far as defamation given the report never says Brady did anything, just probably which is 51 to 49 percent. A coin flip. So based on that conclusion, with no evidence at all tying him to what happened to those footballs the night of the AFCCG there is quite a bit for them to make their case. The bigger question in my mind is how far Brady wants to take it. If his agent is any indication from these past few days, they are going to go full bore into this not just over the punishment but to clear his name as well ...