Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts UDFA signees and invites thread (Please post Colts UDFA news here)

MTC

It was said if he was drafted he could not reenter the draft.

Regarding my "precedents" as you like referring to, I am merely pointing out that off the field issues giving the NFL black eyes left and right. Again, IMO Irsay doesn't want to be asociated with anymore off the field issues than the team already has. Collins is a hot button in the NFL right now and not a good one. Again, if he is cleared good for him I really hope he is and he has a productive career, I just don't believe it will be in a colts uniform.

I don't get why your harping on this so much, its an opinion and I shared it, if you don't like it block me. If you think IMA change my mind and say your right, sorry that ain't gonna happen. Opinions are like butts and everybody got em. Some just stink more than others. [emoji106]

No, if he had gotten drafted then he could have refused to sign and could reenter 2016 draft .... going un-drafted means he not can not reenter 2016 draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-needs-to-be-drafted-in-order-to-re-enter-the-draft/

How is it a bad reflection on a team if he is completely cleared?  He may not be in a Colt's uniform but it won't be because we didn't make an offer. 

Everyone has opinions, yours just happens to be based on bad logic and inaccurate information, I don't care if you say I am right (I know I am) feel free to remain "blissfully uninformed". 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the draft I stand corrected, just going by what the TV said. Never said it was a bad reflection on the team, I simply said IMO I don't think Irsay wants to deal with that kind of stuff considering the state of the NFL in all off the field issues. Why is it bad logic? Because if someone takes a stand against something and doesn't want a certain types of people or situations around them or the organization. Sorry if my opinion doesn't fit your narrative to solve our rt problem. As far as me being blissfully uninformed. You speak as if your dealing with the case, talking with colts Front Office, and being a lawyer all at once. Hi kettle, meet pot. I'm glad you feel your right as you should but your continued veiled jabs are running rather dry just as your know it all attitude has.

So like I said to you early esmort have a good day

I believe the reason he was not drafted was his agent requested that teams do not draft him unless it was in the first 3 rounds. I could be wrong but that would mean teams were showing Collins and his agent some respect by following their wishes. Otherwise I'm sure some tem would have risked a 7th hoping he was clear of charges and decided to sign. At least now he can pick his team and sign on his terms.. limited as they are. Maybe they also figure if he is cleared quickly , they can appeal to the NFL to let him enter the supplemental draft. If he were drafted , it would be impossible for the NFL to retract that decision and maybe rethink.

Really a raw deal if he is not a suspect in the crime. 

Why am I being silly? If I'm wrong I'll eat crow but I know I'm not. We didn't touch ray rice, Greg hardy, cut Jackson and the other dude over domestic situations. Cut the WR for weed. Boyett when we got arrested and ignorant. He's not a high character guy in their eyes if he even has to be questioned about a murder. Collins won't be a Colt

Collins likely won't be a Colt.     But that's because we're one of 32 teams.    The odds are against us.

But all the other guys you mentioned were guilty of crimes.

So far, Collins is guilty of nothing.    And if/when he's cleared by police,  then the only thing he did wrong was know the poor woman.     In short,  he'd be in the clear.

Assuming he's cleared,  I'd be very disappointed if we didn't make an aggressive all-out pitch to Collins.    And I'm a fan that is typically hyper-sensitive to off the field issues and players.

Collins likely won't be a Colt.     But that's because we're one of 32 teams.    The odds are against us.

Because his contract is set in stone, just using raw numbers, we have a 3.125% chance of signing him (1/32).

It's impossible to adjust for his preferences, because those are intangible, and we don't know what they are. But if you assume he wants to play for a team with a need at OT, and assume he wants to play for a team that has a good shot at winning something soon, then you can probably remove half to two thirds of the teams in the league from consideration. That would increase our chances to 6.25 - 9.1%. 

So, like you said, the odds are against us. But I think they're against everyone.

He wasn't on anyones board. Hence why he went undrafted.

I don't believe that for a second .  His camp informed the league if he was not drafted in the first 3 rounds he would not sign with any team because he wants to re-enter next years draft IMO he will sign with no one as he said .

He was on teams boards but because of the allegations he was toxic .

How is it that a topic that is supposed to be about UDFA singings turns into a pissing contest between people over an UDFA that is under investigation for a murder??

2 1/2 pages of back and forth bickering.  WAH!  Get over it people and move on. 

Thanks to MTC and everyone else for the UPDATES on signed UDFAs!  Pretty pumped about the prospects, even if only a couple stick!

I don't believe that for a second .  His camp informed the league if he was not drafted in the first 3 rounds he would not sign with any team because he wants to re-enter next years draft IMO he will sign with no one as he said .

He was on teams boards but because of the allegations he was toxic .

I think the point is that every team in the league chose not to draft him. 

How is it that a topic that is supposed to be about UDFA singings turns into a pissing contest between people over an UDFA that is under investigation for a murder??

2 1/2 pages of back and forth bickering.  WAH!  Get over it people and move on. 

Thanks to MTC and everyone else for the UPDATES on signed UDFAs!  Pretty pumped about the prospects, even if only a couple stick!

Uh probably because he is a UDFA ..   Actually there have been reports  law enforcement just wanted to talk & that he was not the subject of the investigation . There has been questions raised as to whos the father of the victims child .

The point was not lost on me I assure you .

Yeah thus the word toxic .

However it worked his plan is to re-enter the draft in 2016 , 

He'll have to sue the league in order to get back in the 2016 draft. Based on the CBA and league rules, he can't. That's the other thing; this is collectively bargained. The league can't unilaterally rule to allow him in the 2016 draft if he doesn't qualify.

I think his best bet would be to get in the supplemental draft.

He'll have to sue the league in order to get back in the 2016 draft. Based on the CBA and league rules, he can't. That's the other thing; this is collectively bargained. The league can't unilaterally rule to allow him in the 2016 draft if he doesn't qualify.

I think his best bet would be to get in the supplemental draft.

That was brought up as well when is the supplemental ?

Usually in early July. No set date, it just has to be before training camp.

I believe I read in today's MMQB that he is not eligible for the supplemental draft.  His agent tried to get a wavier to be allowed, but was denied.  

I believe I read in today's MMQB that he is not eligible for the supplemental draft.  His agent tried to get a wavier to be allowed, but was denied.  

That's true. I was talking about him trying to sue the league to get in either the supplemental draft or next year's draft. Neither is likely.

Why am I being silly? If I'm wrong I'll eat crow but I know I'm not. We didn't touch ray rice, Greg hardy, cut Jackson and the other dude over domestic situations. Cut the WR for weed. Boyett when we got arrested and ignorant. He's not a high character guy in their eyes if he even has to be questioned about a murder. Collins won't be a Colt

You don't know what he is being questioned about. I'm sure some patriots were brought in over the Hernandez case, should they be released? You are putting the cart waaaaay before the horse.

That's true. I was talking about him trying to sue the league to get in either the supplemental draft or next year's draft. Neither is likely.

So basically he just becomes one of the hottest UDFAs in recent memory and chooses where he wants to go? Not a bad deal IMO.

He'll miss out on some of that early money he could have made as a first round pick, but he should get a decent second contract I'd he lives up to his hype.

So basically he just becomes one of the hottest UDFAs in recent memory and chooses where he wants to go? Not a bad deal IMO.

He'll miss out on some of that early money he could have made as a first round pick, but he should get a decent second contract I'd he lives up to his hype.

And he gets to his second contract a year sooner than any player drafted in 2015. Not that bad of a deal.

And he gets to his second contract a year sooner than any player drafted in 2015. Not that bad of a deal.

This is why his agent asked NFL teams not to draft Collins if it was not in rounds 1-3. Some team would have used probably a 6th for sure a 7th on him. It would have been a nasty thing to do when his agent requested that it didn't happen. I said this yesterday and I think it went unseen. The kid took a real screwing if he's innocent and I think the teams respected that and didn't use a late pick on him. It was not (IMO) because they didn't want to "waste " a draft pick as was being reported. 

It becomes very evident that Collins is way better off being not drafted and going the free agent route. That said , considering the fact that players love playing for Pagano , the colts are a contender and we have what might be a very injured RT now protecting Andreww Luck... hmmmmm. 

Mike Wells, ESPN Indianapolis Colts reporter

The Colts signed 15 undrafted free agents after Saturday’s draft. Here’s a closer look at each player:

QB Bryan Bennett: He threw for 5,522 yards and 39 touchdowns during his two seasons as the starting quarterback at Southeastern Louisiana. He also rushed for 1,715 yards and 31 touchdowns.

WR Quan Bray: He had 90 receptions for 849 yards and seven touchdowns in his career at Auburn. Bray is the first player in Tigers history to score a rushing, receiving and punt return touchdown in the same season.

CB Donald Celiscar: He had 247 tackles, 55 passes defended and 10 interceptions in his career at Western Michigan.

LB Cody Galea: He had 114 tackles, including 15.5 for a loss, 7.5 sacks and three forced fumbles during his career at San Diego State.

LB Terrell Hartsfield: He had 61 tackles, including 16 for a loss, and 10.5 sacks in his two seasons with the Cincinnati Bearcats.

LB Zachary Hodges: He went from being homeless in high school to being named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year twice. Hodges finished with 26 sacks in his career at Harvard.

CB Joshua Mitchell: He finished his career at Nebraska with 104 tackles (79 solo), 3.0 sacks, three interceptions, 25 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries.

WR Ezell Ruffin: He caught 111 passes for 1,877 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons at San Diego State. An injury limited Ruffin to just seven games last season.

CB Al-Hajj Shabazz: He finished with 151 tackles and nine interceptions in four seasons at West Chester University. Shabazz returned two interceptions back for touchdowns.

TE Jean Sifrin: He caught 42 passes for 642 yards and six touchdowns in his one season at the University of Massachusetts.

TE Justin Sinz: He had 80 receptions for 670 yards and seven touchdowns while at Purdue. Sinz caught at least one pass in each of the final 24 games he played.

S Robert Smith: He finished with 182 tackles, 1.0 sack and three fumble recoveries in 53 games, including 11 starts, at Clemson. Smith was All-ACC honorable mention last season.

LB Junior Sylvestre: He racked up 286 tackles and 7.5 sacks at Toledo. He was first-team All-MAC after his junior and senior seasons.

RB Tyler Varga: He finished his career at Yale fourth in rushing yards (2,985) and third in rushing touchdowns (31). Varga made the All-Ivy League team three times.

C Brandon Vitabile: He started all 50 games he played during his four-year career at Northwestern.

Mike Wells, ESPN Indianapolis Colts reporter

The Colts signed 15 undrafted free agents after Saturday’s draft. Here’s a closer look at each player:

QB Bryan Bennett: He threw for 5,522 yards and 39 touchdowns during his two seasons as the starting quarterback at Southeastern Louisiana. He also rushed for 1,715 yards and 31 touchdowns.

WR Quan Bray: He had 90 receptions for 849 yards and seven touchdowns in his career at Auburn. Bray is the first player in Tigers history to score a rushing, receiving and punt return touchdown in the same season.

CB Donald Celiscar: He had 247 tackles, 55 passes defended and 10 interceptions in his career at Western Michigan.

LB Cody Galea: He had 114 tackles, including 15.5 for a loss, 7.5 sacks and three forced fumbles during his career at San Diego State.

LB Terrell Hartsfield: He had 61 tackles, including 16 for a loss, and 10.5 sacks in his two seasons with the Cincinnati Bearcats.

LB Zachary Hodges: He went from being homeless in high school to being named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year twice. Hodges finished with 26 sacks in his career at Harvard.

CB Joshua Mitchell: He finished his career at Nebraska with 104 tackles (79 solo), 3.0 sacks, three interceptions, 25 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries.

WR Ezell Ruffin: He caught 111 passes for 1,877 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons at San Diego State. An injury limited Ruffin to just seven games last season.

CB Al-Hajj Shabazz: He finished with 151 tackles and nine interceptions in four seasons at West Chester University. Shabazz returned two interceptions back for touchdowns.

TE Jean Sifrin: He caught 42 passes for 642 yards and six touchdowns in his one season at the University of Massachusetts.

TE Justin Sinz: He had 80 receptions for 670 yards and seven touchdowns while at Purdue. Sinz caught at least one pass in each of the final 24 games he played.

S Robert Smith: He finished with 182 tackles, 1.0 sack and three fumble recoveries in 53 games, including 11 starts, at Clemson. Smith was All-ACC honorable mention last season.

LB Junior Sylvestre: He racked up 286 tackles and 7.5 sacks at Toledo. He was first-team All-MAC after his junior and senior seasons.

RB Tyler Varga: He finished his career at Yale fourth in rushing yards (2,985) and third in rushing touchdowns (31). Varga made the All-Ivy League team three times.

C Brandon Vitabile: He started all 50 games he played during his four-year career at Northwestern.

Thanks for bothering to summarize .

Uh probably because he is a UDFA ..   Actually there have been reports  law enforcement just wanted to talk & that he was not the subject of the investigation . There has been questions raised as to whos the father of the victims child .

I get that he is a free agent and am all for talking about the prospect of his being signed... but its the bickering back and forth that gets me. 

Sylvestre will probably need to move to safety to have a shot

I stated in another thread before the mini-camps begun that the likelihood from what I know of Sylvestre is that he'll be converted to ILB. Once the camps begun I noticed he was wearing the number 44(ILB number) and almost every mini camp picture I saw he was with Amarlo Herrera.  I didn't see any pics of him practicing with Zach Hodges and Galea.  He's a real good tackler, but not an edge rusher. He's runs a 4.5 so he's got good speed, but not that great in coverage other than covering backs.  With the current weight that he's at to me it's easier for him to bulk up to 230/240 and play ILB.  I could be wrong, but it seems the Colts are headed that way also.

I stated in another thread before the mini-camps begun that the likelihood from what I know of Sylvestre is that he'll be converted to ILB. Once the camps begun I noticed he was wearing the number 44(ILB number) and almost every mini camp picture I saw he was with Amarlo Herrera. I didn't see any pics of him practicing with Zach Hodges and Galea. He's a real good tackler, but not an edge rusher. He's runs a 4.5 so he's got good speed, but not that great in coverage other than covering backs. With the current weight that he's at to me it's easier for him to bulk up to 230/240 and play ILB. I could be wrong, but it seems the Colts are headed that way also.

Your post prompted me to look it up. Apparently, they just approved numbers 40-49 for LBs in 2015. I was going to say that during the regular season LBs could not wear a number in the 40s and safeties could but it looks like LBs can too now. Still, though, 44 can be either a safety or, now, a LB number so you can't say it's specifically a LBs number.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/25/nfl-passes-brian-bosworth-rule-linebackers-can-now-wear-jerseys-numbered-40-49/