Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at top of bidders list for Greg Hardy

Per league source, Titans have inquired about Greg Hardy. Told Indy is the leader and Jags willing to open the wallett. Also if Revis (1/2)

bolts, Belli and Pats will go hard after him too. Could hear from NFL on possible suspension by tomorrow. (2/2)

Mentioned this in another thread, thought it topic worthy.

Thoughts on Hardy? Blam if old.

Looking at our personnel, if we go get Hardy, you can almost bet we play the 4-3 and 4 man fronts about 60% of the time.

Mathis, Cole, Werner, Walden, Hardy - they will be very efficient as 4-3 personnel, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts already played 4 man fronts around 60% of the time.  They play a lot of nickle.  Doesn't mean they will (or should) give up on the hybrid 3-4 front either though. ;)

Looking at our personnel, if we go get Hardy, you can almost bet we play the 4-3 and 4 man fronts about 60% of the time.

Mathis, Cole, Werner, Walden, Hardy - they will be very efficient as 4-3 personnel, IMO.

Newsome would be too.

I don't put a lot of stock in this rumor.

BUT, Hardy has the size and ability to play anywhere along the line or the edge in passing situations. 

It is a little out there, but crazier things have happened, and he is one of the big DT's on the market. There's enough there I thought it was worth at least entertaining. I think ultimately it comes down to who do you think Grigson's first choice is, Hardy or Fairley?

It is a little out there, but crazier things have happened, and he is one of the big DT's on the market. There's enough there I thought it was worth at least entertaining. I think ultimately it comes down to who do you think Grigson's first choice is, Hardy or Fairley?

Young-Girl-Shrugs-Why-Dont-We-Have-Both.

In 2013, the Seahawks grabbed Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, and the next year, they were the best defense in the league. 

I think Hardy is more of an Edge rusher and occasional DT. Why not both!

Young-Girl-Shrugs-Why-Dont-We-Have-Both.

In 2013, the Seahawks grabbed Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, and the next year, they were the best defense in the league. 

That's a fair point too, a front 3 of Fairley/Jones/Hardy would be interesting to see. Especially on passing downs if you could insert both Mathis and Cole as OLBs, with a guy like Chapman as a 4th down lineman. Would create some serious questions as to where the rush is coming from.

That's a fair point too, a front 3 of Fairley/Jones/Hardy would be interesting to see. Especially on passing downs if you could insert both Mathis and Cole as OLBs, with a guy like Chapman as a 4th down lineman. Would create some serious questions as to where the rush is coming from.

Not only do we need to be strong against the run, we REALLY need some interior pass rush. Fairley and the versatility of Hardy would do that.

But I'm VERY doubtful that we sign Hardy.

Agreed, if not Suh I would take a 2 for 1 deal maybe 5-6 mil for Fairly and 8-9 mil for Hardy and a chance of a SB is enough to bring them to Indy

Agreed, if not Suh I would take a 2 for 1 deal maybe 5-6 mil for Fairly and 8-9 mil for Hardy and a chance of a SB is enough to bring them to Indy

SUH IS GONE TO MIAMI! I don't get how people think that we still have a chance, we were never even said to be in the mix.

It's a forum where people give opinions. I just gave mine. I wasn't derogatory to anyone about it.

We only need one year out of them. Unless Gore/Johnson/Cole all have some kind of major drastic dropoff from 2014, we'll be fine. Just going full mercenary for 2015. 

Signing a bunch of old dudes in FA has worked when?

Pretty much always better than signing young ones. Signing older players to short term deals has far less impact on your cap in the future and allows you to construct your young guys through the draft process where they aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg, especially now after the new CBA. 

In fact, the use of older stop gaps to fill holes while you develop your low round draft picks and UDFA's is probably the single wisest thing you could do during the free agency period. Sure if you've got the space, you could attempt a bomb or two, but you should primarily target the aged but proven talent for the veteran leadership and known production they bring. You take a bigger risk with injury, granted, but you aren't married to the guys for years either.

Going older is the way to do FA.

We only need one year out of them. Unless Gore/Johnson/Cole all have some kind of major drastic dropoff from 2014, we'll be fine. Just going full mercenary for 2015.

I get that, but dropoff/injuries from the others, including Herremans, concerns me. I like the AJ signing though.

Pretty much always better than signing young ones. Signing older players to short term deals has far less impact on your cap in the future and allows you to construct your young guys through the draft process where they aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg, especially now after the new CBA. 

In fact, the use of older stop gaps to fill holes while you develop your low round draft picks and UDFA's is probably the single wisest thing you could do during the free agency period. Sure if you've got the space, you could attempt a bomb or two, but you should primarily target the aged but proven talent for the veteran leadership and known production they bring. You take a bigger risk with injury, granted, but you aren't married to the guys for years either.

Going older is the way to do FA.

When you have a good roster going in, yes, I would agree.

I get that, but dropoff/injuries from the others, including Herremans, concerns me. I like the AJ signing though.

I think the only one in danger of dropping off significantly is Gore. Which really won't set us back. If he sucks, it'd just be a minor annoyance. 

When you have a good roster going in, yes, I would agree.

Colts roster was good enough to get to the AFCCG, that doesn't happen by accident. 

Unless you're actively implying that a team that went 11-5, won it's division, won 2 playoff games, including a road game, also has a bad roster by NFL standards. But that would be silly.

I think the only one in danger of dropping off significantly is Gore. Which really won't set us back. If he sucks, it'd just be a minor annoyance.

I don't see that happening. Gore is bionic. He doesn't abide by the 30 and done rule. And it's not like he's ever been a speed back. Those guys fall off a cliff abruptly.